WBO Organized Play Updates October 2022: Identical Parts, Deck Launchers, and More

(Oct. 26, 2022  10:39 PM)ZestyPhresh Wrote: I guess as more questions are going out. Is there any movement on registering 5g as a valid WBO tournament style? As WBBA is moving to only 5g, I would like to start considering that format, but currently it feels pointless as no ranked for it.

Definitely being discussed! Unfortunately some of our systems are a little clunky so implementing things can be a bit slow some time, but there's ongoing discussion about how to mesh it with the way the WBO does things, in a sense.

Frankly I'm fiending for P5C3on3, but that's a pipe dream I suspect.
(Oct. 29, 2022  5:42 PM)th!nk Wrote:
(Oct. 26, 2022  3:24 PM)CrisisCrusher07 Wrote: Oh god Mystic Mine. PTSD time! Lol. Anyway I agree that the community should understand that a different stadium would require a different mind set of how to play the game. Drivers will preform differently in different stadiums.

I would actually like a clarification on this set of wording for the mode changes. “Modes may be changed at any point before a match begins, or between rounds within a match.” Now it says any point. Does that mean that when both bladers present their beys for the battle, they can change the mode at that point in time only? Or can I wait to see what change my opponent makes, and then make my change? And to add to that, if after I make that change, because the battle hasn’t started yet, could my opponent decide to make a new change?

Okay this is not an official statement, just my understanding as an organiser, but my understanding would be the former, hence our rule about when both bladers wish to change mode at the same time they must turn their backs.

Former indeed. If both have the intent to do a mode change, it should then be done double-blind per the rules to avoid causing a bit of a stalemate.

But perhaps we can clarify this with some additional wording soon. How it is worded now is akin to how it previously was anyway, but starts to make less sense when everyone has a mode change at their disposal, haha.
(Oct. 29, 2022  6:07 PM)~Mana~ Wrote:
(Oct. 29, 2022  5:42 PM)th!nk Wrote: Okay this is not an official statement, just my understanding as an organiser, but my understanding would be the former, hence our rule about when both bladers wish to change mode at the same time they must turn their backs.

Former indeed. If both have the intent to do a mode change, it should then be done double-blind per the rules to avoid causing a bit of a stalemate.

But perhaps we can clarify this with some additional wording soon. How it is worded now is akin to how it previously was anyway, but starts to make less sense when everyone has a mode change at their disposal, haha.

I was fully prepared to tell people at my tournaments that both players would have to preform mode changes at the same time and they can only do it once for that battle. But I wanted to bring up how the wording could be miss-understood. thanks for at least some form of clarification just so I have something to point back to if some one wants to argue. Lol Also thank you th!nk for the response as well.
Can I use only one launcher or do I have to use three?
(Oct. 30, 2022  2:39 PM)Beyblade rockss Wrote: Can I use only one launcher or do I have to use three?

You can use up to 3 launchers. So if you wanna use 1 you can.
I suggest you do the WBBA style of mode change.
1. Reveal Bey Phase
2. Mode Change Phase (players turn back at each other but not necessarily needs to change mode)
3. Battle Phase
(Oct. 31, 2022  7:44 AM)versusENDEV Wrote: I suggest you do the WBBA style of mode change.
1. Reveal Bey Phase
2. Mode Change Phase (players turn back at each other but not necessarily needs to change mode)
3. Battle Phase

Frankly, in practice I haven't met a single person in 5 tournaments who actually cared about mode changes, and definitely not about keeping it a secret. This would just add unnecessary delays in matches.
No body cared for mode changes because there was no freedom in doing it before and most considered it a liability since you can only do it once. Now that it has been updated to you can do it anytime as well as accepting the db stadium, give it a few months and it might not be the same case. Better to have something in place to clarify the rule change than nothing at all.. 😆
Real qucikly I wanted to ask Shindog and th!nk another clarification on the mode change rules. In the WBO Deck Format after a player loses a point to their opponent and the opponent has to decide which Beyblade they will use first, does the oponent that is choosing their Beyblade first have to designate which mode they will be launching the beyblade in? or is it just like any other battle where after both players have chosen their Beyblade they will decide on mode changes at the same time? And finally if it is the former, say a battle ends in a draw and they have to launch again, could both players then make mode changes since the initial battle was done with the loser having the battle advantage like they should have?
My interpretation of the current rule:

1)
Only a replay would bars both bladers from switching their Beyblade (or mode of their Beyblade) in the next battle.

2)
Modes may be changed at any point before a match begins, or between rounds within a match.
If two players wish to change modes at the same time, they must turn around and do so in secret before continuing the match.

To me, mode should be changeable after Beyblade selection. Since mode can be changed at the same time by both players, they would need to have both selected their Beyblade at that point.
(Nov. 01, 2022  3:44 PM)Shindog Wrote: My interpretation of the current rule:

1)
Only a replay would bars both bladers from switching their Beyblade (or mode of their Beyblade) in the next battle.

2)
Modes may be changed at any point before a match begins, or between rounds within a match.
If two players wish to change modes at the same time, they must turn around and do so in secret before continuing the match.

To me, mode should be changeable after Beyblade selection. Since mode can be changed at the same time by both players, they would need to have both selected their Beyblade at that point.

Okay so you are saying that if a draw were to occur they can not chnage their mode before the relaunch of the same battle, because a mode change should be done at Beyblade selection, and since those Beyblades were already selected for the battle they don't get a second chance to change modes?

And because both players choose a mode change at beyblade selection in WBO Deck Format after the winner picks their Beyblade, and then the loser picks their "Counter" Beyblade, both bladers will have the option to do any mode changes?

Just trying to make sure I understand everything clearly for my next tournament.
(Nov. 01, 2022  4:52 PM)CrisisCrusher07 Wrote:
(Nov. 01, 2022  3:44 PM)Shindog Wrote: My interpretation of the current rule:

1)

2)

Okay so you are saying that if a draw were to occur they can not chnage their mode before the relaunch of the same battle, because a mode change should be done at Beyblade selection, and since those Beyblades were already selected for the battle they don't get a second chance to change modes?

And because both players choose a mode change at beyblade selection in WBO Deck Format after the winner picks their Beyblade, and then the loser picks their "Counter" Beyblade, both bladers will have the option to do any mode changes?

Just trying to make sure I understand everything clearly for my next tournament.

If a draw occurs, it is another “battle” but it isn’t it another “round” within the match to me.  For example, in 3on3, round 2 would be second bey vs second bey.  If the 2 second beys would draw, it would be battle #3 and still Round 2 to me if that makes sense.  

In WBO deck, if the loser chooses switch, the winner would get to pick their Beyblade first.  Then the loser would pick their Beyblade.  Then, the Bladers can Choose to change mode or not.  I suppose whoever chooses their bey first could announce what mode they want to be in right away, but I don’t think they are obligated to given the wording of our rules
(Nov. 02, 2022  2:01 AM)Shindog Wrote:
(Nov. 01, 2022  4:52 PM)CrisisCrusher07 Wrote: Okay so you are saying that if a draw were to occur they can not chnage their mode before the relaunch of the same battle, because a mode change should be done at Beyblade selection, and since those Beyblades were already selected for the battle they don't get a second chance to change modes?

If a draw occurs, it is another “battle” but it isn’t it another “round” within the match to me.  For example, in 3on3, round 2 would be second bey vs second bey.  If the 2 second beys would draw, it would be battle #3 and still Round 2 to me if that makes sense.  

In WBO deck, if the loser chooses switch, the winner would get to pick their Beyblade first.  Then the loser would pick their Beyblade.  Then, the Bladers can Choose to change mode or not.  I suppose whoever chooses their bey first could announce what mode they want to be in right away, but I don’t think they are obligated to given the wording of our rules

This is why I ask these questions now. To save me from the headache later, I just feel bad that it's a lot I'm asking. Lol

So for me when I think of the option to mode change I think of it as a per "Battle" thing. Only because say in the same scenario you brought up with a 3on3 match where in "round" 2 both bladers do not mode change in "Battle" 1, but after the draw one or both of them would like to mode change to try and get the win instead of risking the draw again. if that makes any sense.

As for the WBO deck rules I could see it working either way. In just wanna know what should be done so I know during my next tournament.
What if you only have pro series of starter stadium set launchers could I use those or only DB
(Nov. 02, 2022  2:49 AM)CrisisCrusher07 Wrote:
(Nov. 02, 2022  2:01 AM)Shindog Wrote: If a draw occurs, it is another “battle” but it isn’t it another “round” within the match to me.  For example, in 3on3, round 2 would be second bey vs second bey.  If the 2 second beys would draw, it would be battle #3 and still Round 2 to me if that makes sense.  

This is why I ask these questions now. To save me from the headache later, I just feel bad that it's a lot I'm asking. Lol

So for me when I think of the option to mode change I think of it as a per "Battle" thing. Only because say in the same scenario you brought up with a 3on3 match where in "round" 2 both bladers do not mode change in "Battle" 1, but after the draw one or both of them would like to mode change to try and get the win instead of risking the draw again. if that makes any sense.

As for the WBO deck rules I could see it working either way. In just wanna know what should be done so I know during my next tournament.
The way the rulebook is current written, my interpretation is that “rounds” and “battles” are not the same.  The rulebook states:

• Modes may be changed at any point before a match begins, or between rounds within a match.
  • If two players wish to change modes at the same time, they must turn around and do so in secret before continuing the match.
  • Parts with gimmicks/mode changes that may activate or change–whether intentionally or not–post-launch must be reset after each battle. 
Also, With consecutive draws, we have a battle limit and not round limit.  This is how I would personally rule based on the language in the rulebook.  I am not saying this is the official take. If we want it make every battle mode change possible, I am not against that.  We probably should not use “round” in the first bullet point imo.
(Nov. 02, 2022  3:14 AM)Shindog Wrote:
(Nov. 02, 2022  2:49 AM)CrisisCrusher07 Wrote: This is why I ask these questions now. To save me from the headache later, I just feel bad that it's a lot I'm asking. Lol

The way the rulebook is current written, my interpretation is that “rounds” and “battles” are not the same.  The rulebook states:

• Modes may be changed at any point before a match begins, or between rounds within a match.
  • If two players wish to change modes at the same time, they must turn around and do so in secret before continuing the match.
  • Parts with gimmicks/mode changes that may activate or change–whether intentionally or not–post-launch must be reset after each battle. 
Also, With consecutive draws, we have a battle limit and not round limit.  This is how I would personally rule based on the language in the rulebook.  I am not saying this is the official take. If we want it make every battle mode change possible, I am not against that.  We probably should not use “round” in the first bullet point imo.

Yeah. In general it’s hard to understand the rule book at times.
(Nov. 02, 2022  4:56 AM)CrisisCrusher07 Wrote:
(Nov. 02, 2022  3:14 AM)Shindog Wrote: The way the rulebook is current written, my interpretation is that “rounds” and “battles” are not the same.  The rulebook states:

Yeah. In general it’s hard to understand the rule book at times.

It's an unfortunate byproduct of the many literal moving parts in the game and some people's desire to exploit, debate, or frame-by-frame review every last aspect of them, and every bit of footage uploaded to YouTube.

Hardest part of the PLA/HMS update was trying to bulletproof them against exploitation in wording like has happened with certain rules in the past.

Sometimes I just wish we could all be chill and spin tops 😂
Since WBO has started to introduce new Stadiums in the competitive scene, I believe that WBO should also start doing a stadium-specific rules. With Gen4 just around the corner, for sure there will be more stadiums added to the official list in the future and I assume that those stadiums will be at least slightly different from each other, thus will offer a different play experience.

So what do I mean by stadium-specific rule?
It should contain:
I. Define the default orientation of the stadium, or a diagram where it shows the player's position when launching on the stadium.
II. A rule that is specific to the stadium since they are different from each other.

What are examples of this specific rules? Below are my suggestions:
1. Shin-TA Stadium
- I'm starting with this stadium because I can sense that it is only a matter of time before it gets added to the list.
- I actually have no specific rule for this stadium but is connected to the next stadium so I will just have a short description below.
- This stadium offers an unwalled arena therefore knock-outs here are very clear. Perfect for those who like to let it rip!
2. Standard BeyStadium
- This stadium offers a more controlled environment with wall enclosures on the arena.
- RULE: Wall saves in any form, may it be the stadium wall or pocket walls will be legal.
- RULE: You score a KO when the bey stays in the pocket and failed to return to the arena.
- With these rules, you establish a difference between Shin-TA and Standard Stadium. Organizers will have an option whether they want a walled or unwalled stadium. It also helps to keep the game fresh as you can just mix them up so that you can have Standard this week, then Shin-TA on the next. Having them defined differently will also create a separate demand for each stadium instead of them competing with each other.
3. HasPro Stadium
- For this stadium, instead of considering the pockets as KO area, the pockets should be viewed as "traps" that drains the stamina just like what they did on CEOTaku. Don't forget that there is only one objective of the game, which is to outspin your opponent. Whether you Burst or Knock Out the other bey, the winner is always the last bey spinning. The label of attack, defense, etc. is just there to make the game more interesting. In short, it has always been a game of stamina.
- RULE: When a bey gets trapped on one of the pockets, the round will end until there is only one beyblade spinning on the stadium. This also applies when both beys gets trapped on the pockets.
- RULE: In a rare scenario of a Bey getting burst by a trapped Bey, the round will have a re-play.
4. DB BeyStadium
- This stadium offers a bigger playing area and is actually the hardest to master. You can just play it safe by having stamina combos(this is what most people see). Then there are drivers that when you master its motion, you can control it and score a knock out from it. This is very risky since you need launch it correctly as well as land it on the right spot.(comparable to Bowling)
- RULE: Knock Out is equivalent to 2 points.
- Scoring a Knock Out is harder in DB Stadium since there are only 2 pockets and its ratio to the walled area is smaller unlike the stadiums above. Also, the deeper dish adds more to the difficulty so momentum is important on this stage if you are going for knock outs. The knock outs here feels different and is almost the same as accomplishing a burst so a 2 points KO is fair.

By defining stadium-specific rules, you also give the stadiums their own identity. Now it is up for the organizers and their community to decide which stadium they would like to play on. Not only that you were able to provide more accessible stadiums to the community, but also a unique gameplay to keep it fresh and not repetitive especially when coupled with different match types/style.