WBO Organized Play Rule Update: Driver Variants in Multiple Beyblade rulesets

Hey World Bladers!

Last October, we implemented a ruling which restricted Driver variants, preventing the use of two or more of the same named Driver within Deck Format rule sets. This was implemented in an effort to both encourage creativity and diversity among combinations, and attempt to steer away from a metagame overrun with stamina variants.

However, as more part variants have been introduced in recent months as opposed to new named Drivers, we have begun to feel that this policy has the potential to inadvertently affect the number of players able to play in events, which is far from our intention as many of you can imagine.

With this in mind, effective immediately, we have made the decision to revert this ruling and players may once again use any combination of Driver variants within Multiple Beyblade Tournament Types, including P3C1 and 3v3 events, and Deck Format Finals. As an example, this now means your combinations for any Multiple Beyblade Tournament Type may now include Xtreme, Xtreme' and Metal Xtreme, should you choose to do so.

Previous Ruling:
All Rulebooks – Gameplay Appendix Wrote:Multiple Beyblade Tournament Type Advanced Rulings:
  • Only one version (regular/Dash/SlingShock/HyperSphere/Metal/High etc.) of a Driver is permitted in Deck Format.

Updated Ruling:
All Rulebooks – Gameplay Appendix Wrote:Multiple Beyblade Tournament Type Advanced Rulings:
  • Including any combination of regular/Dash/Metal/High/SlingShock/HyperSphere/QuadDrive, etc. versions of a Driver is permitted.

Click below to read the updated ruling within the Burst Format rulebook. This ruling has also been added into the Multiple Beyblade Tournament Type Advanced Rulings section of each relevant rulebook.

Feedback?
If you have any feedback on these particular changes, or any questions or suggestions for further adjustments or additions, please post your thoughts below or in the WBO Organized Play Rules thread.

Thank you to everyone for your continued support of WBO Organized Play! We appreciate any and all feedback and are always looking to improve and clarify things where possible.
Welp time to pull all three charge drivers out
I want to just say - I appreciate the staff listening to community feedback around this, even if some of mine was quite uh... direct (sorry again bud).

I am very glad to see the rule gone, and want to commend the staff for being flexible on this matter.
Awesome Sauce! Though I don’t like the idea of someone being able to use bearing and bearing’, or metal drift and drift who cares? It’s not like hxt+’ and br’ aren’t pretty much the same thing. It’s also not like Mobius and drift aren’t the same thing. Plus, being able to do this just gives more versatility. Thankyou!
Over the past few months with the implementation of the one driver variant per “deck” in the formats that require the blader to use more than 1 bey, I have had many debates with not only other bladers on the WBO forums, but with myself as well as to weather or not this rule was healthy for the game or not.

I can say that I have been paying attention to what a lot of the bladers say when it comes to how they feel about the rule. There are a lot of bladers for it and a lot of bladers against it. Either way people are not going to be happy. However, if you love the game, you’ll probably just play under the rules anyway no matter what they are.

So just in case you were curious, my opinion on this rule has changed but at the same time it hasn’t changed. The more I play in these different formats with multiple beys, like 3v3, P3C1, and WBO Deck format, I honestly find that that rule made things more challenging and fun to me. When preparing for the tournament that I recently hosted this past weekend and even the one I had planned for January but was cancelled due to the weather, I found myself struggling with deciding on the 3rd driver for my decks. I knew the layers, chips, disks and even armors that I wanted to use. However, that 3rd driver was super hard to figure out and was bothering me so much that I found myself testing out drivers that I haven’t touched since I first go them. I’m not even a good user when it comes to attack drivers such as xtreme, quick, hunter, and jolt. Yet I found myself practicing with attack drivers and combos to fill in that 3rd combo. I know some people say there are plenty of Stamina drivers in the game that are top tier. However, when you have 2 drivers like Bearing/Bearing’ and High Xtend+’ that for same spin are miles ahead of the next driver and then are evenly on par with the 3rd best opposite spin driver Zone’+Z and the only thing beating them in opposite spin is Drift/Metal Drift and Mobius. (If it doesn’t fall over.) Unfortunately, though Drift/Metal Drift and Mobius are bad for same spin stamina, especially against Bearing/Bearing’ and High Xtend+’. So when you think about going to a tournament you assume that if you play anyone that isn’t new to the game they will be running combos on High Xtend+’ and Bearing/Bearing’, because it would just be silly not to, and if it’s in a 3v3 format there is a good chance that 3rd combo of yours will go against one of those 2 drivers and if you are using something like Zone’+Z, Drift/Metal Drift, or Mobius you now have to hope you get the opposite spin match up or its pretty much an auto loss unless you can get lucky KO or something.

Now I will say that a good thing this rule going back to allowing us to use multiple driver variants does for me is that it reduces my anxiety for any upcoming tournaments. I now know the deck that I will be using for the upcoming tournament in Virginia being hosted by StayCool. I would also like to add that I have been attending Mike.Nightwing’s Blader’s Kingdom tournaments where he essentially uses the WBBA’s 5G rules, but he implemented a 1 driver variant rule for the Blader’s Kingdom tournaments. I feel that in the WBBA’s rules and the 5G format the 1 driver variant rule is not needed, But I do still like it because I get to see a lot of unique combos during the tournament. (maxrod with the spicy Almight combos!) At least with 5G must spread parts around between 5 beys and they will play against the opponent’s deck in a random order, so the probability of running into a driver that is just an absolute counter to your driver is a lot less than in a 3v3 deck where things are a little more controlled.

So even though I feel that the 1 Driver variant rule should still be in effect, I’m not going to argue with the Staff’s decision. I’m sure if something comes up to where things are a problem the staff will reevaluate the situation at that time and come up with a solution. Granted we only have 1 more year of new burst products anyway. So, who knows what will happen after that?
I’m relatively new to competing so the unique driver rule has been all I’ve known and therefore makes sense.

However, for the love of competition I’m excited to see how this changes the game! I’m curious to see if it will lead to more certainty or less about what you’ll be facing 🤔 And in all honestly, does it really make that much of a difference if a blader can use multiple bearings, xtremes, or drifts? I feel like the chances of getting unlucky are higher. Shoutout to those who have perfected their attack type drivers though 😳

Also CrisisCrusher07, if you’re going to the next BK wait til you see what I’m running on almight now LOL
(Feb. 24, 2022  8:14 PM)CrisisCrusher07 Wrote: Over the past few months with the implementation of the one driver variant per “deck” in the formats that require the blader to use more than 1 bey, I have had many debates with not only other bladers on the WBO forums, but with myself as well as to weather or not this rule was healthy for the game or not.

I can say that I have been paying attention to what a lot of the bladers say when it comes to how they feel about the rule. There are a lot of bladers for it and a lot of bladers against it. Either way people are not going to be happy. However, if you love the game, you’ll probably just play under the rules anyway no matter what they are.

So just in case you were curious, my opinion on this rule has changed but at the same time it hasn’t changed. The more I play in these different formats with multiple beys, like 3v3, P3C1, and WBO Deck format, I honestly find that that rule made things more challenging and fun to me. When preparing for the tournament that I recently hosted this past weekend and even the one I had planned for January but was cancelled due to the weather, I found myself struggling with deciding on the 3rd driver for my decks. I knew the layers, chips, disks and even armors that I wanted to use. However, that 3rd driver was super hard to figure out and was bothering me so much that I found myself testing out drivers that I haven’t touched since I first go them. I’m not even a good user when it comes to attack drivers such as xtreme, quick, hunter, and jolt. Yet I found myself practicing with attack drivers and combos to fill in that 3rd combo. I know some people say there are plenty of Stamina drivers in the game that are top tier. However, when you have 2 drivers like Bearing/Bearing’ and High Xtend+’ that for same spin are miles ahead of the next driver and then are evenly on par with the 3rd best opposite spin driver Zone’+Z and the only thing beating them in opposite spin is Drift/Metal Drift and Mobius. (If it doesn’t fall over.) Unfortunately, though Drift/Metal Drift and Mobius are bad for same spin stamina, especially against Bearing/Bearing’ and High Xtend+’. So when you think about going to a tournament you assume that if you play anyone that isn’t new to the game they will be running combos on High Xtend+’ and Bearing/Bearing’, because it would just be silly not to, and if it’s in a 3v3 format there is a good chance that 3rd combo of yours will go against one of those 2 drivers and if you are using something like Zone’+Z, Drift/Metal Drift, or Mobius you now have to hope you get the opposite spin match up or its pretty much an auto loss unless you can get lucky KO or something.

Now I will say that a good thing this rule going back to allowing us to use multiple driver variants does for me is that it reduces my anxiety for any upcoming tournaments. I now know the deck that I will be using for the upcoming tournament in Virginia being hosted by StayCool. I would also like to add that I have been attending Mike.Nightwing’s Blader’s Kingdom tournaments where he essentially uses the WBBA’s 5G rules, but he implemented a 1 driver variant rule for the Blader’s Kingdom tournaments. I feel that in the WBBA’s rules and the 5G format the 1 driver variant rule is not needed, But I do still like it because I get to see a lot of unique combos during the tournament. (maxrod with the spicy Almight combos!) At least with 5G must spread parts around between 5 beys and they will play against the opponent’s deck in a random order, so the probability of running into a driver that is just an absolute counter to your driver is a lot less than in a 3v3 deck where things are a little more controlled.

So even though I feel that the 1 Driver variant rule should still be in effect, I’m not going to argue with the Staff’s decision. I’m sure if something comes up to where things are a problem the staff will reevaluate the situation at that time and come up with a solution. Granted we only have 1 more year of new burst products anyway. So, who knows what will happen after that?

This is a really well written response. I really do understand the concerns that lead to this rule, and I know Maryland is hurting, so I do feel a little bad for fighting it as much as I did. I really do hope that now a couple of players are using rubber attack there that as the weather gets warmer (launching with near frostbite is hard, it's easy to forget that here in 36C heat!) it might start to resolve itself a little - it's been a bit less of an issue in areas with more attack after all, and now we have what is IMO a more dependable right attack layer to boot. Of course, we will see what the new products bring. Hopefully not a Zero-G like mess 😅 at the moment though I really don't think stamina is actually that scary, but people really have to play counters to it. As for Driver variety, I kinda hope this has made people realise that alternatives like Mobius have their own benefits (after all Mb sees use in WBBA tournaments a lot more than it did here!) Plus you still have to worry about Nightwing showing up with something nuts like Gyro in same spin, I'm sure that won't change!

Maybe what we really need is to make our own stadium to reduce wall saves 😅
(Feb. 25, 2022  12:52 AM)th!nk Wrote:
(Feb. 24, 2022  8:14 PM)CrisisCrusher07 Wrote: Over the past few months with the implementation of the one driver variant per “deck” in the formats that require the blader to use more than 1 bey, I have had many debates with not only other bladers on the WBO forums, but with myself as well as to weather or not this rule was healthy for the game or not.

This is a really well written response. I really do understand the concerns that lead to this rule, and I know Maryland is hurting, so I do feel a little bad for fighting it as much as I did. I really do hope that now a couple of players are using rubber attack there that as the weather gets warmer (launching with near frostbite is hard, it's easy to forget that here in 36C heat!) it might start to resolve itself a little - it's been a bit less of an issue in areas with more attack after all, and now we have what is IMO a more dependable right attack layer to boot. Of course, we will see what the new products bring. Hopefully not a Zero-G like mess 😅 at the moment though I really don't think stamina is actually that scary, but people really have to play counters to it. As for Driver variety, I kinda hope this has made people realise that alternatives like Mobius have their own benefits (after all Mb sees use in WBBA tournaments a lot more than it did here!) Plus you still have to worry about Nightwing showing up with something nuts like Gyro in same spin, I'm sure that won't change!

Honestly I would love to see TT take the B-33 standard stadium and make it bigger like the DB stadium and where the pockets are give it the new slope pockets like the DB stadium so wall bounces can’t be a thing and if a bey goes out it’s staying out. Would be a lot simpler and better for the bigger beys we have now.
(Feb. 25, 2022  1:21 AM)CrisisCrusher07 Wrote:
(Feb. 25, 2022  12:52 AM)th!nk Wrote: This is a really well written response. I really do understand the concerns that lead to this rule, and I know Maryland is hurting, so I do feel a little bad for fighting it as much as I did. I really do hope that now a couple of players are using rubber attack there that as the weather gets warmer (launching with near frostbite is hard, it's easy to forget that here in 36C heat!) it might start to resolve itself a little - it's been a bit less of an issue in areas with more attack after all, and now we have what is IMO a more dependable right attack layer to boot. Of course, we will see what the new products bring. Hopefully not a Zero-G like mess 😅 at the moment though I really don't think stamina is actually that scary, but people really have to play counters to it. As for Driver variety, I kinda hope this has made people realise that alternatives like Mobius have their own benefits (after all Mb sees use in WBBA tournaments a lot more than it did here!) Plus you still have to worry about Nightwing showing up with something nuts like Gyro in same spin, I'm sure that won't change!

Honestly I would love to see TT take the B-33 standard stadium and make it bigger like the DB stadium and where the pockets are give it the new slope pockets like the DB stadium so wall bounces can’t be a thing and if a bey goes out it’s staying out. Would be a lot simpler and better for the bigger beys we have now.

Honestly working on the Tornado Attack repro has made me think the WBO really should look at just doing it ourselves. I know that's a big ask, but with how things are travelling with the Repro, I don't think it's impossible for us to design and manufacture something (though having a good enough ridge for plastics and burst without having CF/GCF scrape is hard). Whether that is something we as a community accept or not is obviously a big question - repros are a bit easier if they're 1:1, doing an original design is more challenging but if we do it right, maybe we can then be in a situation where we don't need to worry about the whims of TT. To be fair, Tornado Attack does work well for burst if you can make them not poke holes thru the floor, though it doesn't have a shroud.

I know this is getting way off topic, but I dunno, something I've really been thinking about.