WBO Organized Play Random Thoughts

As self-proclaimed tournament queen, I deem it fitting for the WBO to have a random thoughts thread for organized play. My head just swelled a little in case any of you are curious.

Since there are many tournament locations in the US now, it's hard to keep certain topics specific to one tournament thread so this would probably be of great use for discussing past tournaments, possible tournaments, advice for hosting, or exchange of information since different countries have different ways of running their tournaments.

What format does the rest of the world use for tournaments? I use double elimination past 30 attendees and I run it through a dead program called Mantis. Do you guys ever run into trouble with unregistered users attending or people giving you a wrong username? What do you do to resolve that?
Well a random thought for me?
When me and Flamedragon25 were hosting a tournament, a person came up and said that they didn't have an account, so I went by standard proceedure and asked them what username and password they would like, etc and made it for them when I got back to my house.

The problem was that they made their password one character too long, so I had to reduce that last character to make it fit. Understandably that account has never posted. ._.

Also, it seems like I have the worst luck ever at tournaments (admittedly my fault as well) for not remembering combinations to use/using common sense.
(May. 12, 2011  4:39 AM)Pockyx3 Wrote: The problem was that they made their password one character too long, so I had to reduce that last character to make it fit. Understandably that account has never posted. ._.

Did you not send them an email to tell them that ?
Do you have a smart phone? The one time we hosted an outdoor tournament, we used Cye's phone at the beginning, although since I'm hosting so many of these tournaments, I actually purchased an aircard for that tournament.
(May. 12, 2011  4:39 AM)Pockyx3 Wrote: Also, it seems like I have the worst luck ever at tournaments (admittedly my fault as well) for not remembering combinations to use/using common sense.
That happens to me all the time. As a host, I never have any time to practice so building and using combos becomes one big guessing game for me.
I've always wondered why the WBO made their own rules instead of just following the TT rules. It would have made sense if we were still playing with HMS beys because people wanted to ban things like Bearing Core. (In retrospect, people should have been able to beat that thing with an attack type.)
Kai - V, I'm not too sure if they gave me an E-mail address with the username/password, I can't recall at this point at least.
(May. 12, 2011  4:42 AM)Cye Kinomiya Wrote: I've always wondered why the WBO made their own rules instead of just following the TT rules. It would have made sense if we were still playing with HMS beys because people wanted to ban things like Bearing Core. (In retrospect, people should have been able to beat that thing with an attack type.)
I think our rules are a little more specific and user friendly. For example, TT's regulation for distance from the stadium is kind of ridiculous if I recall.
TAKARA-TOMY's rules are not perfect either, plus, they are sometimes difficult to understand ...
(May. 12, 2011  4:48 AM)Kai-V Wrote: TAKARA-TOMY's rules are not perfect either, plus, they are sometimes difficult to understand ...

The fact that it's in Japanese doesn't help at all...
(May. 12, 2011  4:49 AM)Nano Wrote:
(May. 12, 2011  4:48 AM)Kai-V Wrote: TAKARA-TOMY's rules are not perfect either, plus, they are sometimes difficult to understand ...

The fact that it's in Japanese doesn't help at all...
It's not that big of a deal to translate rules.
(May. 12, 2011  4:33 AM)Deikailo Wrote: As self-proclaimed tournament queen...

It is far from self-proclaiming with the concensus that this forum has come to with your achievements.

My random thought: ControL_ is never the the finalist of the winner's bracket in double elimination but Beyjun nearly always is! Cute
(May. 12, 2011  11:51 AM)BladeStorm Wrote:

It is far from self-proclaiming with the concensus that this forum has come to with your achievements.

My random thought: ControL_ is never the the finalist of the winner's bracket in double elimination but Beyjun nearly always is! Cute
Thank you! I guess that makes Kei the King?

So wait, how does Control_ end up winning? Beating his brother twice?
(May. 12, 2011  11:59 AM)Deikailo Wrote:
(May. 12, 2011  11:51 AM)BladeStorm Wrote:

Thank you! I guess that makes Kei the King?

So wait, how does Control_ end up winning? Beating his brother twice?

Exactly, but we haven't being doing pure Double elimination for our last 3 Double eliminations; instead we have had Double elimination in blocks, and the victors progressing onto a round-robin finals.

The UK should have Queen LeeDraciel and King Blitz Tongue_out
Is that format even acceptable for play? It's not in the rulebook...

Can't wait for LeeDraciel to read that one haha.
(May. 12, 2011  1:55 PM)Deikailo Wrote: Is that format even acceptable for play? It's not in the rulebook...

Can't wait for LeeDraciel to read that one haha.

Nor is single elimination Lips_sealed, but yeah it has been discussed that it shouldn't be allowed for the future.
Single elimination sucks anyway. Actually, when Kei does round robin, he takes the top two winners from each block onto the finals. In the rules, it says to take the top three overall. We both think it's cheap to take only the top three overall. The formats really need some revision and clarification IMO. Like, what amount of people is acceptable for full round robin, block, and double elimination.
I'd love to play swiss + top-cut like they have in trading card games with best of 3 beybattles in the top-cut. Not viable for lower attendee tournaments but I think it is fair for matching players with poorer results together so they are evenly matched.
I'd love to play Swiss, too, because it keeps everyone battling and at their own level. It'll make the beyrank system run much more effectively as well because you'll constantly be playing someone at or near your level, making the gain or losses more consistent. People start leaving once they lose so Swiss is the best option to keep bladers battling.
(May. 12, 2011  2:13 PM)Deikailo Wrote: it keeps everyone battling and at their own level.

do you mean level based by beypoints? if so there are some problems as people could have low points from, lower tier combos, less skill, and the other guy getting lucky
(May. 12, 2011  3:40 PM)lord Wolfblade Wrote:
(May. 12, 2011  2:13 PM)Deikailo Wrote: it keeps everyone battling and at their own level.

do you mean level based by beypoints? if so there are some problems as people could have low points from, lower tier combos, less skill, and the other guy getting lucky

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_tournament
(May. 12, 2011  2:10 PM)BladeStorm Wrote: I'd love to play swiss + top-cut like they have in trading card games with best of 3 beybattles in the top-cut. Not viable for lower attendee tournaments but I think it is fair for matching players with poorer results together so they are evenly matched.

Swiss is also a format I'd really like to try one day.
I'll probably be doing modified-Swiss on Sunday for the meet-up at Regent's park, Bandstand. Last time there was 15 attendees and I did Block round-robin with 5 competitors per block. I may do 4-7 rounds of Swiss depending on attendees and a Top4 cut.
Swiss actually has the set amount of rounds determined by the number of players. You can't just pick how many rounds of Swiss to do, you have to abide by the format. If you don't follow it based on the format, it's just battling.
(May. 12, 2011  4:37 PM)Deikailo Wrote: Swiss actually has the set amount of rounds determined by the number of players. You can't just pick how many rounds of Swiss to do, you have to abide by the format. If you don't follow it based on the format, it's just battling.

I know, hence why I stated modified-Swiss.
I think modifying Swiss style when we don't even have Swiss in the rulebook is a bit weird, don't you think?