WBO Organized Play Random Thoughts

Oh boy, I just realized my tournaments' titles sound like a cross of Jackie Chan's and Will Smith's movies.
(Oct. 12, 2011  3:37 AM)Uwik Wrote: Oh boy, I just realized my tournaments' titles sound like a cross of Jackie Chan's and Will Smith's movies.

Lol, It's hard to go wrong with those two for inspiration - and the best part is that Jackie Chan has made so many movies you'll never run out of titles!

Now RustyXD on the other hand appears to have chosen Rodney Dangerfield movies as his inspiration (Back to School). I can't wait to find out where he goes with that! ;)
Haha I have no names left I usually ask judges and that if they want to name it usually because I can never pick a name , although that was my choice LOL. I won't be hosting for a while though but when I come back to hosting I will find another Rodney Dangerfield name if possible.
I just noticed that France is having a WBO tournament. First ever there I think? It's really great Smile
(Oct. 17, 2011  7:23 AM)Uwik Wrote: I just noticed that France is having a WBO tournament. First ever there I think? It's really great Smile

ShopSuey.fr expect it to be huge, one-hundred-and-twenty-eight participants actually. I approached them to do a collaboration even though I knew that it would be a lot to ask that they write down all of the results, make everyone sign up, etc., but they seemed happy to want to do everything properly.
Wow, that's going to be insane :o

Glad I'm not processing the results ahah.
(Oct. 20, 2011  3:44 AM)th!nk Wrote: Wow, that's going to be insane :o

Glad I'm not processing the results ahah.

I guess you would rather vector tiny hexagonal images??? :p

Im sure the French wouldn't appreciate the sentiment, but maybe a Brit or an Italian with hosting experience could take a train over to serve as an advisor? I'm just thinking of ways to minimize issues...
128 = single elimination.

That would only be a maximum of 128 battles to process. In a way similar to 3-4 BRR with 7-8 people per block.
(Oct. 20, 2011  3:53 AM)Arupaeo Wrote: Im sure the French wouldn't appreciate the sentiment, but maybe a Brit or an Italian with hosting experience could take a train over to serve as an advisor? I'm just thinking of ways to minimize issues...

We do not want to force anybody to do the trip. There would probably be serious language barriers too, hah.
Hardest part for me hosting a tournament... The name
Gawdammit...
(Oct. 20, 2011  4:17 AM)Nano Wrote: Hardest part for me hosting a tournament... The name
Gawdammit...

You should consult ikmv and Cye Kinomiya, they have weird names.
(Oct. 20, 2011  4:00 AM)Uwik Wrote: 128 = single elimination.

That would only be a maximum of 128 battles to process. In a way similar to 3-4 BRR with 7-8 people per block.

Right. But at that number of matches they had better have 6+ stadiums in use, and even then it will take about 2-3 hours just to do the first round! It's going to be a loooooong day...
(Oct. 20, 2011  4:17 AM)Nano Wrote: Hardest part for me hosting a tournament... The name
Gawdammit...

Call it Steve.
(Oct. 20, 2011  4:01 AM)Kai-V Wrote:
(Oct. 20, 2011  3:53 AM)Arupaeo Wrote: Im sure the French wouldn't appreciate the sentiment, but maybe a Brit or an Italian with hosting experience could take a train over to serve as an advisor? I'm just thinking of ways to minimize issues...

We do not want to force anybody to do the trip. There would probably be serious language barriers too, hah.

Too right. Better send a French-Canadian then! Wink. Lol
(Oct. 20, 2011  4:26 AM)Arupaeo Wrote:
(Oct. 20, 2011  4:00 AM)Uwik Wrote: 128 = single elimination.

Right. But at that number of matches they had better have 6+ stadiums in use, and even then it will take about 2-3 hours just to do the first round! It's going to be a loooooong day...

For my tourney, 28 people (4 blocks + final block) should run for 1.5-2 hours Max. Quite fast paces. But with Single Elimination, you have to shout over 128+ people to call for matches, let alone the registration process, imagine the lag. Yeah 4 hours for the first round is definitely considered really super fast already.
(Oct. 20, 2011  4:23 AM)Kai-V Wrote: You should consult ikmv and Cye Kinomiya, they have weird names.

Weird is good.
There is a saying, "keep Portland weird!"

(Oct. 20, 2011  4:27 AM)th!nk Wrote: Call it Steve.

That would be quite the job, wouldn't it?
ShopSuey have all the Attack Type BeyStadiums they want. From what I remember they are going to do some quick, small Blocks, and then go into Single Elimination.
You know, it'd be totally cool if someone did a Chinese new year tournament called 'Year of the Dragoon'. 2012 is year of the dragon, so yeah.
(Oct. 20, 2011  4:50 AM)GaHooleone Wrote: You know, it'd be totally cool if someone did a Chinese new year tournament called 'Year of the Dragoon'. 2012 is year of the dragon, so yeah.

Not plausible at least in Asia. A big thing here. Family time etc. But yeah, if Indians can have a Christmas tournament, then why not. Smile
What about a plastic tournament called "Year of the Dragoon"?
If you did that and there was not a plastic tournament, I'd be offended.

Actually, it's been a while since we've had plastic tourneys... I should do something about that...
Year of the L-Drago?

That could work ;]
Great Nano. You've leaked my next tournament name.

Seriously though, I don't think I'll be hosting a tournament anytime soon. I hope someone from my area would step up though. Though, it did take two years before someone did ...
Does anyone know how the shopsuey.fr tournament went? Kai-V? I'm interested on hearing about this 128 people tournament.
(Oct. 24, 2011  12:57 PM)Uwik Wrote: Does anyone know how the shopsuey.fr tournament went? Kai-V? I'm interested on hearing about this 128 people tournament.

Apparently it went well. It was a lot of stress and organisation, and they even had to refuse people because they had already booked the one-hundred-and-twenty-eight places available.

The results will be sent later though.