Very Good Anime

litrid is a man of few words

specifically one word
Tamer Brad Wrote:litrid is a man of few words

specifically one word

Roan Wrote:
Litrid Wrote:one word...................BLEACH!!!

Serious

I think this is exactly the sort of show this topic was trying to avoid.

Just a stab in the dark there though.

Also, there is only one anime worth my time: Fooly Cooly/FLCL.

<3

Hahaha I really do need to finish this. The Pillows are awesome, and it's just very weird but it hooks you.
My second recommended show is called Bokura No. Anyone heard of it? It's the story of these thirteen kids who, on a summer vacation, decide to go into a cave. They meet this man who asks them if they want to play a game, and all of them sign a contract to do it. The kids wake up inside a giant robot piloted by the man, and have to fight another giant robot. It's exciting, since all of them get to pilot their own robot! Each kid will have a turn piloting, and fighting another giant robot.

However, there's a horrifying twist to all of this. After every battle, the pilot of the robot will die. There's no way around it. After the pilot wins, then the pilot will die no matter what. This will continue until all of the battles are won, and there's no way out of the contract. It deals with some heavy issues, considering all of these kids are around 12-14. They have to deal with what really would occur in a giant robot fight, including heavy casualties within cities, and being forced to sacrifice innocent lives to save everyone else.

There's another large problem, but you'll have to find out. What do you think would happen if the pilot lost to the other giant robot? Watch and see.
carp, that's heavy man.

I'm usually not much into as deep anime as the above example, although I do enjoy a few more mature titles like GitS: SAC, Cowboy Bebop, Basilisk or Samurai Champloo.

Read about Baccano! before in the Anime Insider magazine and it seems interesting, might check that out sometime.

Haven't seen/read it (just read a bit on it), but wouldn't Death Note qualify for this? Light plays god using the Death Note, power corrupts, etc; what would you do if you had it? Would it be right to make use of such power? It raises some interesting questions, besides the deep and inteligent plot of what seems like a darker series to me (I realise it could compare to other shonen titles where boy gets X power, etc, etc, but this seems more mature).
Hmm, Toto, you've piqued my interest! I'll find it and watch it sometime.

Anyways, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and Neon Genesis Evangelion are both quite good, although only popular in some peoples eyes. I'm sure everyone here has heard of them though.
Okay, just finished watching Baccano!. That series is LOVE. <3 I adore it.

Adding to the series recommendations, Mononoke is excellent. And no, I'm NOT talking about Princess Mononoke. It's about a Medicine Seller who runs into these people with demon problems, and he more or less goes about exorcising them while looking cool and kicking carp. A great show, I watched it in pretty much one sitting since it's so short (12 episodes).
I'm going to throw out Full Metal Panic! on this list, and all it's sequel series. It's an awesome little Sci-fi Mecha series about the Soviet Union still existing and fighting some bounty hunters with Giant Robots. It's really hard to explain without giving the whole series away.

While i'm at it, Martian Successor Nadesico is a nice little humorous rompy space opera. Enjoyable characters and a weird story are what make it great.

Give 'em both a look.
Tamer Brad Wrote:litrid is a man of few words

specifically one word

basicly all I do is talk about something I like or give my input about something. Its how I roll......Tongue_out
Since it has failed to be mentioned. AKIRA. Badass. Kaneda. Badass. Tetsuo. Badass.

Also I entirely second Ghost in the Shell and SaC.

no other series or title have stimulated me like these too. I would elaborate but googling would yield a far more complete analysis than I want to type.
every one here go watch eyeshield 21
I have 2 words

Rurouni Kenshin

Oh and rooneyt? I detest american football. I would never watch it much less read a manga about it.

I'm pretty into Flame of Recca at the moment, but I don't think it's something everyone here would enjoy.
Rurouni Kenshin ftw.
Ozuma Wrote:I have 2 words

Rurouni Kenshin

Oh and rooneyt? I detest american football. I would never watch it much less read a manga about it.

I'm pretty into Flame of Recca at the moment, but I don't think it's something everyone here would enjoy.

american football rocks fu

and kenshin is good
OUTLAW STAR
Pink Gilliam = BADASS
I second Outlaw Star.
Some of these you've probably heard of, some maybe not.

Desert Punk
Bleach
Dragon Ball(all series)
Digimon(all series)
Monster Farm/Monster Rancher
Konjiki No Gash Bell!/Zatch Bell!
FLCL
SoltyRei
Burst Angel

Possibly Afro Samurai, Kiddy Grade, Death Note, and Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. I haven't actually seen Kiddy Grade, but it's made by GONZO so I'm definately gonna check it out. AS, DN, and TTGL are what I'm watching right now, and they're all quite good, too.
I swear Burst Angel is just all fanservice lmfao.

I heard about Desert Punk before. I'll check it out. The guy in the mask thing looks cool.
Anyone else think the topic title is misleading? Hey, I like Bleach and DBZ too, but it has been mentioned before that's not the kind of show we want here.

@ bugturtles - Sunabozu/Kanta is a carp carp and a big time perv. That's part of the fun in that show though lol There's also a good amount of fanservice in the form of Asagiri Junko throughout the series.
Samurai Champloo and Cowboy Bebop are amazing.
I haven't heard much mention of Death Note. I suppose it's just a given.

Anyway, I know this is for anime, but there is one particularly good manga out there: GetBackers. I've only seen a couple episodes of the anime and I wasn't as impressed. A lot of stuff was toned down which kinda bother. carp national television.

As far as anime, Black Cat seems pretty good so far. I'm just starting out and I hope if finishes strong.

Again, Bebop is another good choice. This is the only thing that could possibly give me a taste for jazz music xD

I've been meaning to watch FLCL. I picked up volume 1 of the manga and it's probably one of the most confusing things I have ever read.

I'm suprised I haven't seen Evangalion yet (or perhaps I'm just not looking). I'm not totally finished (I think i'm on episode 17 or something), but I love it.

I'm sure how everyone else feels about this, but Excel Saga is hilarious. I usually watch it as a simple laugh, and that's what I love about. No complex plot. Just peculiar, vaguely tied together episodes.
Gundam 00. This one part almost made me cry.
Katashi Wrote:I'm suprised I haven't seen Evangalion yet (or perhaps I'm just not looking). I'm not totally finished (I think i'm on episode 17 or something), but I love it.
You're not looking.
Kei Wrote:Anyways, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and Neon Genesis Evangelion are both quite good, although only popular in some peoples eyes. I'm sure everyone here has heard of them though.
Man, how long have you been watching NGE for now?! And you're only on 17? At least you're getting through it xP

Cye Kinomiya Wrote:Gundam 00. This one part almost made me cry.

I haven't seen any of it yet, but is it just me or do all the characters look really angry in every picture.. (that I've seen)?
Kei Wrote:
Katashi Wrote:I'm suprised I haven't seen Evangalion yet (or perhaps I'm just not looking). I'm not totally finished (I think i'm on episode 17 or something), but I love it.
You're not looking.
Kei Wrote:Anyways, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and Neon Genesis Evangelion are both quite good, although only popular in some peoples eyes. I'm sure everyone here has heard of them though.
Man, how long have you been watching NGE for now?! And you're only on 17? At least you're getting through it xP

Cye Kinomiya Wrote:Gundam 00. This one part almost made me cry.

I haven't seen any of it yet, but is it just me or do all the characters look really angry in every picture.. (that I've seen)?

If I were one of them I'd be frustrated as hell.

After reading this from wikipedia I just had to start watching it. I usually don't like mecha anime let alone Gundam, but this series really impresses me.
Plot according to wikipedia:

The series is set in the year 2307 AD of the Gregorian calendar. During this time, fossil fuels became exhausted and the distribution of fuels became imbalanced. Humanity must rely on an array of solar power generation systems orbiting the Earth, and supported by three orbital elevators, each one pertaining to one of the three "major powers" on the planet.

The Union of Solar Energy and Free Nations (世界経済連合, sekaikeizairengō?, abbrev. ユニオン Union, lit. World Economic Union), consisting of the Organization of American States, Australasia and Japan, control the elevator located in South America. The Human Reform League (人類革新連盟, Jinrui Kakushin Renmei?, abbrev. 人革連 Jinkakuren, lit. Human Reform Alliance), consisting of China, Siberian Russia, India, the nations of South Asia (excluding the middle-Asian states of Iran, Afghanistan and Pakistan), Mongolia, the member states of the ASEAN, Papua New Guinea, the Korean Peninsula, and Taiwan, control the elevator located in the Pacific Ocean. The Advanced European Union (AEU), consisting of Iceland, the islands of the Barents Sea, Greenland, Anatolia and the entirety of the traditional continent of Europe, control an elevator built in the middle of the African continent.

With this infinite source of energy benefiting only the major powers and their allies, constant warfare around the globe for fuels and energy lead to the formation of a private military organization, called Celestial Being (ソレスタルビーイング, Soresutaru Biiingu?), dedicated to eradicating war and unite humanity with the use of four humanoid machines called Gundams.[4][5]

Mobile Suit Gundam 00 follows four mobile suit pilots termed Gundam Meisters ( ガンダムマイスター, Gandamu Maisutā?), sided with Celestial Being. The protagonist is 16-year old Setsuna F. Seiei (刹那・F・セイエイ, Setsuna F. Seiei?), a quiet, taciturn young man who grew up in the Kurdish Republic, and a Gundam Meister for two years. He pilots the GN-001 Gundam Exia, a high mobility mobile suit effective in melee combat.