[Unanswered]  Need some foundational knowledge to get into Beyblade

Good evening, title says it.

I have just taken an interest in Beyblade and would like to start on my journey. However, I have practically zero knowledge to go off of. After browsing this site for a bit and using the search function, I found a few threads in which people explained some of the differences between series (probably my primary concern for now). The most detailed explanation I could find was four years old so I imagine it's probably out-of-date. From what I could gather, early series were mostly plastic and had some customization and then the Metal series came around and introduced more options and better contacts. After that, Burst and 4D added some new gimmicks and design principles to the equation.

I read that Burst isn't as customizable as other series so I'm not particularly interested in it at this time, however I'd like to know what's relevant at the moment as I might want to attend local events down the line. Is Burst the current thing? Or has something else come around since then? I'm hoping to get into a series that utilizes the metal contacts for a better feel. Are the older Metal series the only ones that use these? What're some resources for the theory behind building a good Bey? I prefer to understand why one thing is better than another rather than simply copy others' designs.

I'd like to be clear that I'm not asking for an in-depth explanation of everything here, I am more than happy to find things on my own. I just don't really know what to search for at the moment. This is why I'd like to know what series are currently in play or who out there is spreading information--putting a name to my searches will greatly assist me in finding what I need. Also, I feel it may be worth mentioning, I don't really watch anime so anything one might already know from there is lost on me as well.

Thank you for reading!
Burst is the most current system and its made up of a few different generations: single layer, dual layer, god layer, cho-z layers, GT layers & now Sparking. Burst is probably the most popular right now in terms of WBO tournament types.

Metal Fight (MFB) still sees a good amount of action as well. There are no new releases for this system but plenty of ways to still find the parts/beys needed to be competitive.

Plastics are the OG beyblades but probably have the least amount of WBO Events. So if you are looking for the most opportunities to join a tournament, this would be the last place to start.

Because the Burst system has spanned so many generations it has 3 distinct formats within Burst. Below is a VERY simplified breakdown:

Classic Burst: single & dual layers
Limited: god layers (with some cho-z)
Standard: Pretty much anything burst allowed.

There is a Hasbro only format for Burst too, but it’s rarely run at tournaments.

I’d recommend starting out with Burst. Maybe look over the rule sets and the beys that belong to each format within Burst & see which interests you most. From there, you can start to build a collection of parts/beys.

Wombat has some nice videos explaining discs & drivers & how to build combos. It’s mostly Classic Burst focused, but the theories carry across all of Burst really.

Here’s a link to one of his videos. If you find it helpful, he’s got plenty more to watch.

https://youtu.be/atZ1q7eX1nk
Thank you so much. This is exactly the kind of response I was hoping for. I really appreciate your help and will start researching today.

One final question that I forgot to add: what are some trusted sources to buy from? I saw a few people mention that fakes are a problem.

You sir, madam, or in-between, have a great day and may your life be prosperous.
(Jul. 22, 2020  1:27 PM)ROFLPIZZA Wrote: Thank you so much. This is exactly the kind of response I was hoping for. I really appreciate your help and will start researching today.

One final question that I forgot to add: what are some trusted sources to buy from? I saw a few people mention that fakes are a problem.

You sir, madam, or in-between, have a great day and may your life be prosperous.

I will answer your final question, at least for Burst Beyblades. For TT, try places like Ever-Wish and Four Gaming. They’re trusted sites that sell legit TT beys. For Hasbro Beys, I would look at your Walmarts and Targets for those brands.
(Jul. 22, 2020  1:27 PM)ROFLPIZZA Wrote: Thank you so much. This is exactly the kind of response I was hoping for. I really appreciate your help and will start researching today.

Ever-Wish.com - great, although they only operate on MWF now. One of my favorites. Awesome wholesale prices. Always have newest stuff.

Portal0 - great selection but can be pricey

Four-Gaming - great US seller. Decent selection, cheap shipping

Amazon.jp & Amazon - Amazon Japan usually has good deals & you get stuff quickly after release. Amazon US is a but pricier and gets stuff a little later but its an alternative if you dont/cant use Jp. More fakes on US than Jp.

eBay - always a great option, just use a trusted seller. Some I can recommend are 3.style, 88powerpig88, pvccard.expert, skyliners2012, tjttrades among others.

If you are looking for Hasbro, any Walmart or Target will do. They also have an official eBay page with older stuff.

Feel free to PM me any time 👍🏼
You should probably just look at Beywiki. That's a great start.

https://beyblade.fandom.com/wiki/List_of...kara_Tomy)
https://beyblade.fandom.com/wiki/List_of...e_products
I appreciate your response and will look into these sellers. Thank you for your time!

Thanks again for all your help, I really appreciate you taking the time to help me learn.

This sounds like a good resource! I will look into it, thank you so much.