Translating the Manga (Building Interest)

[Image: fQxl5B3.jpg]

Hello, everyone. As you all know, both the Metal Fight Beyblade manga and the Zero G manga have not made their way to the west. A company called Chuang Yi was publishing an English version of the manga in Singapore, but they have just recently gone out of business, and it can be hard to find all of the volumes online (Not to mention that they never finished the series)

There have been a few attempts at this in the past, but it never got past chapter 6, and one of the groups eventually started using the English names, rather than the originals. The Metal Fight Beyblade manga only has 42 chapters, and Zero G only has 9 (So far.)

I think it would certainly be possible for us to translate it if the community works together as a whole. Most importantly right now, we need translators. I saw a few people going around the forums who know some Japanese, so maybe it's time to see how good you are? Other than that we need people who can clean the pages. I can fix bad scans, as well as typeset, but that's about it, along with some minor cleaning. I can't redraw where text covered an image (At least not at the moment I cant; I'm currently taking a class on photoshop, so I will be able to soon) What do I mean by bad scans? Maybe the color is a little off, or the pages are printed in a different color of ink.

Example

So is anybody interested in working together to actually get this translated? Considering that there aren't any new episodes coming, it looks like this may be the only way for you to get your fix.
Amazing idea, I applaud you for this!

Unfortunately, I can't help as I don't have the time but I hope someone else does help. Good luck Wizard!
I can help if your not in a hurry. I'm very good at PhotoShop, especially scan and clean up as I used to do comics. Afraid i won't be much help with translation.
(Aug. 29, 2014  8:08 PM)username2130 Wrote: I can help if your not in a hurry. I'm very good at PhotoShop, especially scan and clean up as I used to do comics. Afraid i won't be much help with translation.
I'm definitely not in a hurry. I would rather us focus on doing it right, rather than trying to rush it and screw it up.

(Aug. 29, 2014  7:48 PM)LMAO Wrote: Amazing idea, I applaud you for this!

Unfortunately, I can't help as I don't have the time but I hope someone else does help. Good luck Wizard!
Thanks! If you're schedule ever clears up, you are more than welcome to help Smile
I would love to see this manga translated at some point. I've wanted to read it for a while!

While I can't help at the moment, I certainly applaud your efforts. I intend to take Japanese in college, so if the project isn't finished by then, I may be able to help out.
(Aug. 30, 2014  12:47 AM)The Supreme One Wrote: I would love to see this manga translated at some point. I've wanted to read it for a while!

While I can't help at the moment, I certainly applaud your efforts. I intend to take Japanese in college, so if the project isn't finished by then, I may be able to help out.
I wanted to take Japanese but my college doesn't offer it. Good luck with your studies!
You know already know that I can edit everything in Photoshop (even text atop drawings), that I can generally translate things from the Beyblade manga since it is aimed for kids, and that I have no idea when I will find much free time to do all of this, but I just wanted to restate it here since it seems that you might be short on staff.
It's true, your Photoshop skills are quite impressive. Had it not been for your busy schedule, you probably would have just done this on your own already.

Even if you were only able to translate the script, that would be enough. Not much has changed since when you were in University, finding time must be hard with a job like yours.
I've wanted to read the Manga for some years now.
I heard it's far better then the Anime; (I'd hope so..)
Good luck. Sadly can't back this; no Jopoknees over here ;^;
I decided to try cleaning up a page for practice. This page is from chapter 7, I picked it because it had a lot of text that was outside of the text boxes, and covering different objects. What do you guys think?

Original

My edited version

Still looking for a translator though. I'm checking around on a few sites to see if I can find someone.
Not bad at all. In the first frame on the left, you can see that the lines should have continued towards the centre more sometimes, but it can pass.
Now that you mention it, that are does look a little naked...

Good news, Koi offered to translate. Smile
Don't take away the Japanese text outside of the bubbles. It adds odd white space.
(Aug. 30, 2014  9:38 PM)Neo Wrote: Don't take away the Japanese text outside of the bubbles. It adds odd white space.

Technically it gets replaced by the equivalent in English ...
(Aug. 30, 2014  9:38 PM)Neo Wrote: Don't take away the Japanese text outside of the bubbles. It adds odd white space.
I was going to replace it with English text, but I guess I can just ad SFX markers instead.

EDITL Ninja'd by Kai-V. Which would you guys prefer?
Taking that text away really does significantly make the emotion and mood change. It makes a difference...adds emotions. Even if it's not translated. Having a little type there like "BOOM!" Would look stupid, no?
(Aug. 30, 2014  10:31 PM)Neo Wrote: Taking that text away really does significantly make the emotion and mood change. It makes a difference...adds emotions. Even if it's not translated. Having a little type there like "BOOM!" Would look stupid, no?
Touché. We'll leave the original Japanese sound effects, but add translation notes.
I have no idea why you think "BOOM!" written in big, unorganised letters just like in the original Japanese version would look stupid ... It is an explosion, so random lines that form symbols you do not comprehend does not enhance your understanding of the story. It is not our fault if you apparently never read a good subbed manga that stylized the onomatopoeia well ...
When watching a subbed show, (ex: Super Sentai) they just add a small note at the top of the video. It is easier to navigate with the mind, and won't take away the original intended effects of emotion and such. Thanks for the heads up that you'll add a note instead, Wiz.

And Kai-V, don't assume I "haven't read a good subbed manga that stylized the onomatopoeia well".
Please, never call me Wiz. It gives me bad hip hop-influenced vibes.

TV shows are a little different, as they can't really edit them to the same extent.
(Aug. 31, 2014  5:07 AM)Wizard Wrote: Please, never call me Wiz. It gives me bad hip hop-influenced vibes.

TV shows are a little different, as they can't really edit them to the same extent.

I've seen dubs do it before, it isn't pretty.
Wizkidz.
Excellent initiative! Panini translated all the MFB saga, except the Zero-G arc, in Italian, I think it could be easier to translate from Italian to English than Japanese to English (this is just an opinion, don't eat me xD). In addition, as you told, you can easily search through the internet and you will see that it was already translated until the chapter six of the second volume. Anyhow is a great deal of work, but I am confident in this project, good job Smile
Hmm, I do not think it would be wise for us to make a translation of a translation. There is plenty of room where things could be lost in translation.

However, I did mention that Koi said he would translate. He is currently working on chapter 7 while I clean the pages.
Hey guys, I just wanted to give some sort of an update. I already cleaned all of the pages for the next chapter, I'm just waiting on Koi to submit his translation to me. He said it would take him 5 days, but it's been well beyond that now. Also, he hasn't been online since the fifth, so I'm a little worried. Perhaps I should begin looking for a new translator.
Hello, I want to know if you guys still are searching for translators? I think I can do the translation part, but if you guys aren't into a rush.

I'm only worried if the fact I am an ESL, some translations aren't going to be that good.