[Toronto, Ontario, 9/27/14] BEY OR DIE: WBO's First Team Format Tournament!

on
Hosted by
  Kei
Contact Host
Format

Type

One Beyblade is prepared and used in each First Stage match.

Read more
Admission
cash  

The WBO is a volunteer, fan-run organization.
About the WBO

Submit pics and clips from this event to earn Bits + be featured on our social media pages!

Find Out How

WBO events are public and you may be photographed.
View Photo Policy

[Image: ErMrCcR.png]

SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 27, 2014
Unplugged Expo 2014 - Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Chestnut Conference Centre - ELM Room
Register Now
STANDARD FORMAT - Team Variant

10:00 AM: Free Battle & Set Up
11:00 AM - 12:00PM: Registration for BEY OR DIE
12:30 PM: BEY OR DIE Start

The WBO is proud to announce that we will be partnering with Unplugged Expo 2014 to host BEY OR DIE! What is going to make this event unique, though? BEY OR DIE will be hosted under the Standard Format, but with an exciting twist ... Teams! This event will act as a pilot for the first ever WBO Team Format (Standard) event! For more details on how this format works, see below.

Unplugged Expo is being held at the Chestnut Conference Centre in downtown Toronto:

Located at University and Dundas in Toronto, the Chestnut Conference Centre is located directly behind City Hall. Conveniently located only steps away from St. Patrick Station and a block away from Dundas Station.

Downtown Toronto -
89 Chestnut St, Toronto,
ON M5G 1R1

Entry: You must register on the Unplugged Expo website!
A Blader Passport is not required for this tournament. However, you will need to purchase a weekend pass to gain entry into the convention itself. You can pre-register for Unplugged Expo until September 8th for $25.00 here. Passes will be $35 at the door.

If you want to support the WBO so we can host even better tournaments with even better prizes in the future, you can also purchase a Blader Passport at the tournament, but as was stated before, it is not mandatory for this tournament.

How will the Team Format work?

Teams of 3
In this new experimental format variant, Bladers will begin by registering in teams of three.
  • When registering, teams must provide a team name that will be used to create a Team Account on the WBO.
  • Team Accounts may be used in the future for a potential separate Team Ranking in the BeyPoints System.
  • Team Accounts can only be created by attending a Team Format tournament and registering with your team. They will have a special "Team" user group applied to them to set them apart from regular users. Do not attempt to make Team Accounts outside of tournaments or you will be warned; the "Team" user group can only be applied by Committee Members anyways.

Team Captains
  • Each team must designate one member as the “Captain”.
  • Captains have the right to remove members from their team in order to recruit new ones at any time, except during a tournament.
  • Captains can only join one team, for life. So, think carefully before you decide to form your own team; in many ways you have more freedom as a regular team member. This is important to prevent the possibility of a team of three slowly removing/adding members and then one day ending up with three entirely different members. This way, three new members can't take over a highly ranked team as their own. There is always a link back to the 'soul' of the team if the Captain remains.
  • Should a Captain choose to dissolve a team, their ranking will be nullified entirely and the team will cease to exist. One exception that will be made is if a Captain chooses to retire from Beyblade. In this case, he or she can pass on the leadership to another member, but only if the team has 50+ Team BeyBattle wins at that point in time.

Which WBO Organized Play Formats can be used?
Depending on the amount of teams who register, the tournament will be hosted in either a Round Robin or Double Elimination format.
  • 3-4 Teams: Round Robin
  • 5-9 Teams: Double Elimination
  • 9+ Teams: Single Elimination

And the Team Format can be played using any regular WBO Organized Play Format: Standard, Zero-G, Limited, Plastics, or HMS.

”Team BeyBattles”
The Team Format introduces a new concept known as the “Team BeyBattle”.
  • Each “Team BeyBattle” will consist of three regular best 3 out of 5 BeyBattles.
  • The team with the most round wins (which means a maximum of 9 ‘points’ for a team if they won all three BeyBattles 3-0) will be the victor of that particular round. This means that two strong Bladers won’t necessarily be able to carry one weak Blader on their team.
  • Each Blader will play one BeyBattle against one of the opposing three team members. This means that Bladers cannot play more than one BeyBattle per Team BeyBattle, except in the case of a tie (explained below).

For example:

Team A: Kei, Blader DJ, The Boss
Team B: Kai-V, rooneyt, bugturtles

Kei vs. bugturtles - Kei Wins 3-2
Blader DJ vs. Kai-V - Blader DJ Wins 3-0
The Boss vs. rooneyt - rooneyt Wins 3-1

Final Score: 7-5 Team A

Before each BeyBattle begins, teams will have a brief period to decide who is playing that particular round. When both teams confirm they are ready, the judge will ask for both Bladers to step forward to the Beystadium. If at that point a player from one team does not advance in an effort to see who they will be playing against, an automatic BeyBattle loss will be issued to the offending team.

What happens in the case of a tie?
Here’s another example:

Team A: Beholder, Uwik, Khel
Team B: SK, Alice, Bey Brad

Beholder vs. Bey Brad - Beholder Wins 3-2
Uwik vs. Alice - Uwik Wins 3-1
SK vs. Khel - SK Wins 3-0

Final Score: 6-6

In this case, one final BeyBattle will be played to determine the winner. However, the opposing teams will select the member that represents their opponent in the tiebreak. Each team will select a member, the Captains will notify the judge privately, and then the judge will announce the match up.

Team Size: Unlimited!
Teams must play in groups of three during Team Format tournaments, but this doesn’t mean that teams are limited to three Bladers!
  • Teams are unlimited in size, but can have only one Captain.
  • Teams can be represented anywhere globally. For example: Team Kai-V can play in an event in the UK against Team Blitz, with members who have been approved by Team Captain Kai-V.
  • Teams may only participate in one Team Format event per month. This means that Team Kai-V cannot play in an event in both Montreal and the UK on the same week, for example.
  • If the Team Captain is not present to participate in a given tournament, a “provisional Captain” must be designated for that tournament to represent his/her team.
  • If new team members are representing a pre-existing team in a tournament, they must ask the Team Captain to PM the host to inform them that they have been approved to join their team and represent them.

”But I don’t have a team!”
Don’t worry! If you plan on attending a Team Format tournament but do not have a team, simply register yourself and we will find team member(s) for you from other players who have registered by themselves, or as groups of two.

Additionally, don't forget that we also have a Team Forum! You can try looking for team members there.

Team Format and the BeyPoint System
All individual BeyBattles played within the Team Format will be processed within the BeyPoint System as any BeyBattle in a normal tournament would be.

Team Format and Faces/Credits
Winning team members of Team Format tournaments will receive the brand new Triple Crown Face [Image: TripleCrown-Face.png]! All three team members who participated in a specific Team Format tournament will receive the Face.

Winning team members will also receive +2 Credits for winning the tournament, in addition to participation and majority win Credits.

If you think you'll be able to make it out to BEY OR DIE, please post here and I will start building an attendance list!

Attendees:
Kei
LMAO
Mango
~Midnight~
LEONE7
bladerkid2414
~Classik~
Pockyx3
JesseObre

Possible Attendees:
UltimateOrion
ULTIMATE BLAZE
OldSchoolâ„¢
Minion
Ocean
loyd87
friendly1

Need-to-Know Information

1. During Registration, Open Your Account Page

Open your account page on your mobile device (if possible) during registration to help us keep things quick.

2. Arrive On Time

You must arrive by the tournament start time to enter. We cannot add new players to an event once it begins. If you're running late, contact the host.

3. Stay Aware of Your Belongings

We do everything possible to ensure a safe environment, but can't be held responsible for lost or stolen goods. Keep your gear close by!

4. The Tournament Will Last At Least a Few Hours

This event is likely to last at least a few hours. If you can't commit to the entire tournament, you're welcome to come watch and play for fun instead!

5. Listen For Your Username To Be Called

Your name will be called when it's time for your next battle. If you need to leave early or take a break, tell a judge. Missing a match could mean disqualification!

6. Players Must Meet Regional Product Age Restrictions

All players in this event must meet the age restrictions on Beyblade products in their region. TAKARA-TOMY recommends Beyblade for ages 6+. Hasbro recommends Beyblade for ages 8+. Players under these ages may only participate with the permission of their parent/guardian.

7. Players Under 18 Must Be Accompanied by a Parent/Guardian

If you are under 18 years old, a parent/guardian must accompany you and be present for the duration of the event.

8. Contests, Raffles, Gambling, Betting, and Selling Are Prohibited

Advertising the sale of any product or service, as well as posting about any contest, raffle, gambling, or betting on this event page and conducting them at the event without approval by Fighting Spirits Inc. staff is prohibited. Please contact the Organized Play team if you require approval.

9. Terms of Service

All event attendees and users of this website are subject to our Terms of Service.

The tag team tournament we held at a Timely Farewell was a heck of a lot of fun and fairly easy to run if you wouldn't mind taking that into consideration.
(Aug. 04, 2014  4:55 PM)Time Wrote: The tag team tournament we held at a Timely Farewell was a heck of a lot of fun and fairly easy to run if you wouldn't mind taking that into consideration.

that would be cool, but it would take time to partner up with someone right?
If there was a tag team ternament, would it be like 2-4 people each team?
(Aug. 05, 2014  4:49 AM)ULTIMATE BLAZE Wrote: If there was a tag team ternament, would it be like 2-4 people each team?

the tag-team tournament is a pair in one team, but in each battle one player plays a round.
the battle would go one round with one player from each team for each round, but if the game is tied a piece, the winners of each battle go head to head to determine the winning team of the battle, which means the battle is best 2/3 game.

for example: jesseobre and i are a team and we go against midnight and LMAO, we choose one person from each team, like me and LMAO battle in the first round. the winner wins that round and then the 2nd round is the other 2 players from each team. the winner from that battle would possibly win the game if the other player from the 1st round won that round. if there's a tie with wins, the winners from the 2 round's go head to head to see who the winner of the round is. if one of the players win, the game is overt and the winning players team wins the game... wow (trying to catch my breath there) i talk too much.
Time's Tag-Team tournament was decided by drawing names where every team was random, but this being a bigger format, people should be allowed to be use teams. However it would be unfair if some teams are more powerful.

Thinking about it though, we can't really help if some teams are too powerful right, just like if a Blader is to powerful.
The tag-team format I ran went like this:

Everyone's name was put into a hat, the person whose name was pulled out of the hat with yours was your tag team partner.

All four people launched in the balance type stadium and competed in 5/9 matches to complete a double elimination tournament.

The partners then faced off in a final battle (also 5/9) to determine who got to walk away with the stadium. (entrance fee was $3)
It would definitely be a fun tournament if this happened. I would support it 100%, but honestly it's a completely new format and we haven't even discussed it being legal let alone allowing in a tournament this big, but if the committee allows it I think it would be cool surprise.
I would host a qualifier fo this. We have the resources and spqce at Game Theory.
If someone did. I would think it would be in NC or MD since they are probably the most active and most central in the East.
(Aug. 05, 2014  6:33 PM)Lord Wrote: If someone did. I would think it would be in NC or MD since they are probably the most active and most central in the East.

Don't forget how active CT is either Tongue_out.

I don't think that "central" location would matter, I mean, I'd assume whichever region would be lest costly to ship someone from ___ to Toronto, if there even is a Qualifier(s), haha
(Aug. 05, 2014  9:02 PM)Leone19 Wrote:
(Aug. 05, 2014  6:33 PM)Lord Wrote: If someone did. I would think it would be in NC or MD since they are probably the most active and most central in the East.

Don't forget how active CT is either Tongue_out.

I don't think that "central" location would matter, I mean, I'd assume whichever region would be lest costly to ship someone from ___ to Toronto, if there even is a Qualifier(s), haha
I guess if we go to costs from the beginning then CT/Michigan would be the best, but if we want to attract a lot of Bladers (Earning a lot of Money) it would be enough to boost the interest of the WBO and have the winner of the qualifier go despite the distance costs. Therefore looking deeper it would be best to host it in a popular region where many Bladers can go to.
From a purely logic standpoint, it would make sense to host an East Coast qualifier in either MD or VA since they are literally the middle of the coast and somewhere in Southern Michigan as that's the middle of the midwest and would be able to attract that region's bladers. I would suggest one on the West Coast as well, but the only active region is California.
(Aug. 06, 2014  6:15 PM)Time Wrote: From a purely logic standpoint, it would make sense to host an East Coast qualifier in either MD or VA since they are literally the middle of the coast and somewhere in Southern Michigan as that's the middle of the midwest and would be able to attract that region's bladers. I would suggest one on the West Coast as well, but the only active region is California.
Yes. I think that is the best option for qualifiers.

Also I think we should host this as our first big tourney with Super Control Stadium. That would be pretty cool.
The only problem is that I don't think many people actually have the Super Control Stadium. If anyone in Toronto were to have it, it would be Kei and I don't think he has one. It's a very rare stadium to find.

I love the idea of a team tournament, but I guess that would have to be unofficial and before or after the real tournament. As far as qualifiers go, I think it would be best to host one or two qualifiers. Either between CT, NC, NY, MD and California.
I have a suggestion. Use different stadiums every round. Zero-G for the first rounds, then move to standard (BB-10/Sonokong triple type/BB-46/Super control) stadiums and possibly in the last round use HMS/Plastics stadiums.

(Aug. 06, 2014  8:13 PM)LMAO Wrote: The only problem is that I don't think many people actually have the Super Control Stadium. If anyone in Toronto were to have it, it would be Kei and I don't think he has one. It's a very rare stadium to find.

I love the idea of a team tournament, but I guess that would have to be unofficial and before or after the real tournament. As far as qualifiers go, I think it would be best to host one or two qualifiers. Either between CT, NC, NY, MD and California.

It's not rare at all, haha.

For qualifiers, maybe do one on the east coast and maybe another on the west coast? Or just the east coast.
I suggested that on the top of the previous page DK. Wink

It's easy to get on Amazon for $20 USD.
(Aug. 06, 2014  8:22 PM)Lord Wrote: I suggested that on the top of the previous page DK. Wink

It's easy to get on Amazon for $20 USD.

I thought so. I liked the idea, so I posted too.
It'd be a great idea to do it in the Super Control. Since this seems to be the second "big" thing aside from AN, it'd be fantastic to promote the newest legal stadium (knowing how hard TheSupremeOne recently worked to push it's legalization).
Why don't we just do this to find the Qualifiers. Have good hosts, who have hosted before, gather as many Bladers who confirm and make the list and post in the Organizers Circle. Then the Committee will look through and choose through those. I think we should have at least three qualifiers, min.
(Aug. 07, 2014  1:13 AM)Lord Wrote: Why don't we just do this to find the Qualifiers. Have good hosts, who have hosted before, gather as many Bladers who confirm and make the list and post in the Organizers Circle. Then the Committee will look through and choose through those. I think we should have at least three qualifiers, min.

The whole qualifiers thing is not only time-consuming, but we really do not have much more money since BeyDays, so we definitely cannot do that many qualifiers if any at all. I think Kei was really just looking for ideas of side events to make things fun.
Well on that case we could make this event pretty nice still. We could have a tournament in every region, just like BeyDays, and have local championships.c
So when i looked this up on google maps it showed it to be at UFT... if thats the legit location then i can make it since i can take a direct train there and walk the rest : 3
Hey guys, I am unlikely to make it. Good luck and have fun everyone Smile
So when can expect information on this, as it is getting closer and closer.
(Aug. 24, 2014  5:01 PM)LordRager Wrote: So when can expect information on this, as it is getting closer and closer.

Hopefully soon, and it's a doozy!