The music of old vs the music of today

(Mar. 21, 2012  6:32 AM)th!nk Wrote: Wait, Bey-Heart, Coldplay are one of the most popular bands in modern music. How does that even remotely support the first post, if your favourite band is in fact a modern one, that are extremely popular?
Coldplay started in 1998, with their first song: Yellow. I like music from the late 90's to mid 2000's, that's when it had a lot of good stuff out there, in my opinion. Yes, Coldplay is still around,and styill very popular, but so are a lot of the other bands from around that time like 3 Days Grace, Green Day, Daughtry, Linken Park, Etc. They're just good enough to have kept their popularity.

(Mar. 21, 2012  8:10 PM)Deep Blue Wrote: personally i like older music because it actualy uses instruments not digital sound made to sound like a guitar or drum set, in my opinion the music of today is more sythisized and technological than real
I'm sorry, but you don't seem to know what you're talking about. I'm a composer, so let me tell you about it. 98% of the time that you hear a Guitar, it's a real guitar. The only time you hear fake Guitars is in techno and video game music. Or perhaps home made songs. Same goes for percussion instruments such as drums.

When somebody writes a song, they go to a record label to get it produced. Let's say I wrote a very nice rock tune, and all I can do is sing. That's when they hire studio musicians. Studio musicians play the rest of the song for you. It's their job. They get payed to play the guitar and percussion parts of the songs you hear, unless the band members can already play those instruments.

Example: Coldplay has a song called Viva La Vida, you've probably heard it. You know all those string instruments in the background? Those are real musicians playing real instruments. They're studio musicians. They go into the studio and record the song, then they go home after work is over. That's they're job, they enjoy doing that for a living.

You should really train your ears to understand the differences in sound between real instruments and fake ones. Just remember that music in video games is all computer generated, not a single bit of it gets recorded by musicians, not even today. Any thing you hear on a cd for bands like Coldplay, The Fray, Maroon 5, Fall Out Boy, etc is all real, not including the obvious electronic stuff here and there.

The only electronic drumming that's actually used is the Bass.

I could explain this all a lot better in person, but that won't be happening. And my friend Kara knows more about that stuff than I do, she's in a band, so she studied up on studios and studio musicians.

Firstly, they're still writing and you referred to their most recent album. However, let's run with your logic: so do you think a lot of the songs in the first post will be remembered 20 years from now?

Do you not think, maybe, that the same has happened throughout the history of music going back to the times of Bach and Mozart? (hint: it has).

(Mar. 21, 2012  10:28 PM)th!nk Wrote: Firstly, they're still writing and you referred to their most recent album. However, let's run with your logic: so do you think a lot of the songs in the first post will be remembered 20 years from now?

Do you not think, maybe, that the same has happened throughout the history of music going back to the times of Bach and Mozart? (hint: it has).
Just forget everything I said.... Speechless
To be honest I like older music(hip-hop), it was more funky-ish, funny, meaningful ,and positive. Hip-Hop back then was like, telling a story of what that person went through to reach to the top. Uhmm like the song Juicy by Biggie Smalls for example. . . .
I know rap and hip hop are quite different genres, and I'm no fan of either, but Immortal Technique might be worth listening to, if that's what you're after. He's a lot more recent/"music of today", and pretty much the only Rapper I'm at all interested in.

That said, there was plenty of terrible hip hop dating all the way back to the start, you can pick one good example, but I could probably track down a whole bunch of stuff just as horrible as anything today from the same time period.
Adele is a great artist because her lyrics are meaningful. She also has an amazing voice.
I consider the Beatles pretty good. I still listen to their songs, even though I usually don't listen to older music. I'm more stuck on other bands, like the Newsboys and the Flobots...
The godzilla theme and Requiem

even if i wasn't a fan of godzilla I would love this music I mean the atmosphere and the mood all combine into one heck of an experience. Best part its all orchestra no lyrics just sit back and enjoy it I take this over the modern pop that is subjected to the radio waves these days.
It's frustrating when people complain about the "music of today," as if literally ALL of it (or even the majority of it) is similar to what's played on the radio. There is so much absolutely brilliant music out there right now that people seem to be selectively removing from the equation for whatever reason. Personally, I have pretty much nothing against radio s***, but it's absolutely not what i'd focus on in old vs. new music. There has always been terrible music and people to complain about it.

How about the birth of rock n roll? The older generation during that era generally rejected it, hated it, complained about it, etc., and there were heavy racial stigmas because of the black population's influence on that genre. That was a pretty big deal in the '50s. Artists like Elvis, Chuck Berry, and Buddy Holly were considered dangerously sexual and rebellious. If it wasn't good ol' country & western or classical/big band, the older generation wouldn't touch it. Where would we be (musically) without the birth of rock n roll? No idea, yo. My point/tl;dr: rather than b****ing about how bad music apparently is, be stoked about musical evolution and the POSITIVES. There is music out there today for everyone. If you don't dig lyrics, there's stuff out there for you. If you like acoustic, non-electronic, there's stuff out there for you. And vice versa. Etc., etc.
To Judas: Calm down man I am referring to music of today that is carp, There is music out there in the modern age that sounds great! Also i meant that you don't need lyrics alone to make a masterpiece. I am not stating that its necessarily I am voicing an opinion. Also I listen to a variety of music so don't think im biased ok?
Wha? I'm totally calm, and I wasn't talking to anyone in particular.
Most people think music of today sounds all the same which is sort of true but not really. The main reason why some music today sounds a lot like others is because they artist use samples of songs that were either really good or not really popular to boost their songs. The idea was smart at first and credit was given to the artist who originally made the song that's been sampled but nowadays some artist just plagerise samples of other songs. You listen to songs by like Ke$ha, Chris Brown, Rihanna, Jay-Z, One Direction, Justin Bieber, and then if you do a bit of research, you find out they sampled a song without giving credit at all.

I highly prefer music from the late 90s to now than way back when. Like the t-shirts say "The Kids Love Techno" and I'm one of them. But, not at all does music from the 60s, 80s, 70s, and beyond suck. If I ever heard someone say Biggie Small, Beastie Boys, or Beatles suck and Dubstep, One Direction, and/or some rappers are way better, I'd go on a big rage fit.
(Apr. 11, 2012  6:12 PM)Judas Wrote: It's frustrating when people complain about the "music of today," as if literally ALL of it (or even the majority of it) is similar to what's played on the radio. There is so much absolutely brilliant music out there right now that people seem to be selectively removing from the equation for whatever reason. Personally, I have pretty much nothing against radio s***, but it's absolutely not what i'd focus on in old vs. new music. There has always been terrible music and people to complain about it.

How about the birth of rock n roll? The older generation during that era generally rejected it, hated it, complained about it, etc., and there were heavy racial stigmas because of the black population's influence on that genre. That was a pretty big deal in the '50s. Artists like Elvis, Chuck Berry, and Buddy Holly were considered dangerously sexual and rebellious. If it wasn't good ol' country & western or classical/big band, the older generation wouldn't touch it. Where would we be (musically) without the birth of rock n roll? No idea, yo. My point/tl;dr: rather than b****ing about how bad music apparently is, be stoked about musical evolution and the POSITIVES. There is music out there today for everyone. If you don't dig lyrics, there's stuff out there for you. If you like acoustic, non-electronic, there's stuff out there for you. And vice versa. Etc., etc.

The censors are there for a reason. Adding stars in defeats the point.

I admit I have been vague but read my OP. Not saying that all music today sucks, I'm making a comparison between popular culture of the different time periods ie comparing what music gets the most airplay in the present day and age versus what got the most airplay in the old days.

Hotel California is my all time favourite song. Eagles have very nice taste of music.
(Mar. 21, 2012  8:10 PM)Deep Blue Wrote: personally i like older music because it actualy uses instruments not digital sound made to sound like a guitar or drum set, in my opinion the music of today is more sythisized and technological than real
I agree with you 100% songs this days are just horrible.Instruments made music really interesting because if you heard a music made from Drums you could actually love it because you knew somebody worked really hard on it rather than just going on the computer and do the sound effects which don't msound like the drums playing.Musicians are just looking for money rather than good quality music.Funny how this changed so fast what about in the future will we be singing to ourselves.
R&B, Rap, Pop didnt go well with me...so basically..i dont go well with modern musics...unless it is Instruental like most of the Final Fantasy musics..i favored them so much...
Old School Slow Rock, Country songs really inspired me...so..old music by Scorpion, John Denver had always been in my heart...
However..new music that has oldies melody or music also interest me like the song "Somebody i used to know"

So yeah..Oldies still the best to me..
After I listen to any Nicki Minaj song , I clean my ears with some oldies .

So basically , Oldies FTW.
I go with old. I can bash the new music all day saying how it's terrible, has no meaning, catchy, and ruining childrens' brains by making them forget new music. I love the music from the 90's. I wasn't born then, but the 90's had great variety in music choices. New songs were being made every decade, and it was very enjoyable and fun to listen too. But now, all we have is Lady Gaga and Nicki Minaj stuff with no meaining whatsoever. So to wrap it all up, I love the oldies.

I absolutely hate Lady Gaga. I don't know why anybody would even support her.
[/quote]

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!! Yeah, the music of today is repetitive and boring. But don't count Taylor or GaGa out, dood.
All the songs on Top 40 Radio are simply bad. At best some of them are decent, but very forgettable. The only music out there today that I would call 'good' are from artists of the past that are still making music. I.e, i heard the new Soundgarden song for The Avengers movie and thought it was pretty good. The 'image' thing and accessibility of music software, thanks to apple, makes people like Nikki Minaj and Lady Gaga popular; both of whom I wouldn't mind having 'out of the picture'.

It's probably just a trend like Hair Bands were in the 80's, i really hope so because if i here One Direction one more time, I swear to God I will drive my car through an elementary school.

I myself try to be open to all types of music, but hip-hop and rap, pretty much all of pop music over the past 5 years or so has really made me indifferent to the genres. Rock is my mainstay, I love it since it is very expressive and the artists actually write, sing, and play their own music, and even sometimes have a story to tell. and for reasons i still don't understand i just love the sound of a guitar.

My favorite artists are, and in no particular order are....
Nirvana
Led Zeppelin
Foo Fighters
AC/DC
The Beatles
Stone Temple Pilots
White Stripes (Jack White)
Pearl Jam
Soundgarden
Alice in Chains
Van Halen
Aerosmith
Guns n' Roses (Original)
and more....
If any of you are familiar with the indie music genre, a good deal of artists, bands, and music groups have taken inspiration from the music "of old" and some have even made covers for them ( a good deal of them falling into the 80's category).

Yes, I appreciate classics and how they've rebounded upon today's non-mainstream but far better than most groups today, and the stories behind them.

EDIT: Oh, I have one music genre that I hate with all my music-loving heart that runs contrary to my statement above, I absolutely detest all country music (notice that this does not include blue-grass).
Songs of the old used to have different meanings, but now songs these days have three meanings, it is all the same. The three meanings of songs today are drugs, sex, and alchohol, IMO.

I like all kinds of music really, so I can't choose.
i break out in hives if i listen to more than 60 seconds of country music
Old School all the way. I'd rather hear 10 minutes of Queen than 10 min of Drake (which on modern terms, would be like playing the song more than 3 times) I love bads like LZ, Queen, and the modern "real music" like Coldplay and One Republic.