The Writers Handbook

Amen...
I never thought about taking a nap as a cure... hmm
Hm....Can I help? Anyway, this MUST be read by new writers.
Okay, here's a definite you should say. No Mary Sues. If you don't know what they are, Google it. They are the overpowered, cliched characters of fanfiction and stories. If you want to know whether your character is a mary sue, Google: Mary Sue Limitus Test. Please, it is crucial to a good story.
Found the sources Tongue_out

-Definition of Mary Sue
-Universal Mary Sue Litmus Test (make sure to read directions at the top)
-Mary Sue Litmus Test for Original Fiction
-How to Avoid Making a Mary Sue

Also, if you search something such as, "Mary Sue Litmus Kingdom Hearts" quiz, you might find results. They're also more accurate and fitting for the fanfiction you are making.

Beginner writers: Please Read This! This is crucial to a good story, in my opinion.
It's missing Tip 9: If you honestly can't write or do not believe you are that good don't give us a bad story. Wait and think about it until you really believe it is a good story. A good way to check is by reading some of the better stories which you can find on the 'Renegade Reviews' thread. If you do not believe your story will be able to compete with the best no one is likely to read it.

Good review though Bunnii. Maybe you should add something else in there that if people think it was a really bad start to the story and people have repeated that on the thread you should probably start a new story. The first few paragraphs are crucial to a story. Even if you have improved a lot on the story no one is going to want to come back and read it based on their first thoughts on the story.
yeah true... unfortunately not as many people as i'd like even read this thread so... what can you do?

anyway yeh the first few chapters, intro, prolouge etc are key... if you write one rubbish story then its gonna come back to haunt you in all your others...
As in: I will NEVER let you forget it. Hell, if your first one is bad, why would anyone read another? That's plain lazy, not to put in the effort in your first story, then expect peopel to read your second.
Nice, bunnii! I've been thinking about writing bey-stories for awhile, so I dug through my character book of ideas, and I'm ready to go! Oh, and just in case, I took a Mary-Sue test, got a 13 (aka Non-Sue), so time to start writing! To my computer! *runs away from my 3DS that I'm using now*
AYYYYE! The advanced version, I completely forgot!

Here, Bunnii, I'll PM you.

Oh, and by the way, you forgot to mention microsoft word to posts (Unless I missed it). It's a good idea to put your story on a word doc and have it check for errors before posting.
(Aug. 01, 2011  11:02 AM)Ashirogi Muto Wrote: Nice, bunnii! I've been thinking about writing bey-stories for awhile, so I dug through my character book of ideas, and I'm ready to go! Oh, and just in case, I took a Mary-Sue test, got a 13 (aka Non-Sue), so time to start writing! To my computer! *runs away from my 3DS that I'm using now*

Beat you. I got an 8. Anti-Sue. Uhehehe. Anyway, you should maybe think of other personas to use for side characters. You need to put just as much thought into your side/minor characters as you do your main character. Usually, my side characters end up my favorites. (For example, in "Broken", a short story I wrote, my favorite character, who got one of the more tragic endings, never got a speaking part, and only appeared 4 times.) This doesn't have to be you, it's just best to pay attention to minor characters.
Even character development for side characters? Usually, they're static and flat :\

Although, I must admit, I do that sometimes and then end up making them have an important role.
Eh, character development is pretty big for me, so I develop side characters a lot. They aren't around often, but you should still give them a personality.
A personality, yes; an overcomplicated back story, no.
(Aug. 01, 2011  7:50 PM)Temporal Wrote:
(Aug. 01, 2011  11:02 AM)Ashirogi Muto Wrote: Nice, bunnii! I've been thinking about writing bey-stories for awhile, so I dug through my character book of ideas, and I'm ready to go! Oh, and just in case, I took a Mary-Sue test, got a 13 (aka Non-Sue), so time to start writing! To my computer! *runs away from my 3DS that I'm using now*

Beat you. I got an 8. Anti-Sue. Uhehehe. Anyway, you should maybe think of other personas to use for side characters. You need to put just as much thought into your side/minor characters as you do your main character. Usually, my side characters end up my favorites. (For example, in "Broken", a short story I wrote, my favorite character, who got one of the more tragic endings, never got a speaking part, and only appeared 4 times.) This doesn't have to be you, it's just best to pay attention to minor characters.

I got a 2. It said most likely not a sue, so I guess that's a good thing!

I think every writer should take a mary-sue test before posting their story. For example, my character in "Bus Stops" is who I used, and he gets caught, taken hostage, barely gets out, and needs to talk to the police and get a ride from his mom to get back home. Most writers have a character that does everything, comes back from the dead, wins every battle, etc. THEY need to take this test.

And pass it.

With flying colors.
(Aug. 01, 2011  8:39 PM)NoodooSoup Wrote: A personality, yes; an overcomplicated back story, no.

I said elaborate on 'em. Make sure they have presence. I said nothing on actually putting all of it in a story. I say for every appearance, plan out 2 paragraphs on character for that person. This way, I never write a dull character, unless that is the point, of course.

Yes, everyone needs their main character to look like a gimp sometimes. Bad driving, absurd weakness (Urd from Ah! My Goddess! is afraid of a certain type of music. It puts her to sleep instantly.), or some other abnormality that's not all that desirable. Weird eyes don't count.
Yes, the key being not desirable. One thing I hate is when a character's flaw is something along the lines of "works too hard" or "cares too much about his friends". Yes, they can be weaknesses, but most of the time the authors who make their characters like this do it so they will be likable. One example of it actually being a flaw, is if, let's say, the character risks the lives of hundreds of other people to save his friends.
This guide really helped. Hopefully my writing won't suck anymore or as much. But I do slightly disagree with something. Fanfics. I personally think fanfics are okay as long as they're better than average(unlike mine).
true... i dont like any of the fanfics on the WBO...
No offense but they're all the Gingka VS Doji kind of storyline and i hate that...

i've only written one beystory - The New Dawn - and its a post apocalyptic theme and most people like it so yeh...
The problem is that people are influenced by the anime. Writers here have NO concept of conflict besides "He iz mi enemee!" And only if they are enemies in the anime. If I see Pegasis used as a main character's bey ONE MORE TIME...
Okay then, on the topic of conflicts, I'll list them for all the "beginner writers" here:

-Man vs Man (obvious one; antagonist is another character)

-Man vs Self (inner conflict; happens in the character's mind)

-Man vs Society (the character opposes the norms in their society)

-Man vs Environment (character must brave the environment)

-Man vs Supernatural (the character must face elements outside the natural realm; eg.
ghosts)

-Man vs Machine (character must face technology/machine)

-Man vs Destiny (the character must break free of their destiny)

All of these can be applied to Beyblade with the right author. So pick one and make your story Tongue_out
And no more cliches! If you use something common, make your own twist. NO MORE MARY-SUES!
(Aug. 03, 2011  10:30 PM)Temporal Wrote: And no more cliches! If you use something common, make your own twist. NO MORE MARY-SUES!

I second that. Great post, Noodoo. Every writer NEEDS to see that.
hahaha.... i personally haven't taken the test but i will soon...
(Aug. 03, 2011  3:26 PM)Temporal Wrote: The problem is that people are influenced by the anime. Writers here have NO concept of conflict besides "He iz mi enemee!" And only if they are enemies in the anime. If I see Pegasis used as a main character's bey ONE MORE TIME...

Well, you might not like this then: http://worldbeyblade.org/Thread-Beyblade...-Last-Wing They haven't posted any of the story yet, only the character profiles.

I'm really still suprised that even though we have this, we have the general writing thread, we have the state of the your creations, we have reviewers, and people just commenting on stories, they still suck. It's like people aren't putting any effort into there workd, and it really ticks me off.
(Aug. 04, 2011  12:35 PM)SwiftShadow Wrote:
(Aug. 03, 2011  3:26 PM)Temporal Wrote: The problem is that people are influenced by the anime. Writers here have NO concept of conflict besides "He iz mi enemee!" And only if they are enemies in the anime. If I see Pegasis used as a main character's bey ONE MORE TIME...

Well, you might not like this then: http://worldbeyblade.org/Thread-Beyblade...-Last-Wing They haven't posted any of the story yet, only the character profiles.

I'm really still suprised that even though we have this, we have the general writing thread, we have the state of the your creations, we have reviewers, and people just commenting on stories, they still suck. It's like people aren't putting any effort into there workd, and it really ticks me off.
Haha, we need some sticky's for this forum Wink

But probably, it could help people to bother to look..