The State of the WBO.

(May. 16, 2021  8:12 PM)6Jupiter5 Wrote: Times are changing and so is the WBO. The WBO I’d dominated primarily by children to mid teens (around 15) and the way it stands these people are much more interested in a more chat room like WBO (myself included). It’s nothing to be cautious about really and in fact we shouldn’t treat it as a problem. But if you want to remove the fan clubs I don’t really care since I was never really a part of that (although there are others that don’t particularly like that idea). All in all the purpose of the WBO has shifted because of the wants of the majority. While you don’t have to agree with this post this is my two cents. If you liked it I guess you can like it, if you dislike then I guess just ignore this.

This is a really good post. A lot of people want to keep the WBO as it was, but being a public website means it will change. I think the best way to deal with it is to just except everyone's differences. I someone is just here to chat, there's nothing we can do about. The staff is already short-handed enough so giving them more work is not a solution. I do agree with getting new staff members though.
It appears that most people agree that the WBO is a place that should be full of productive and intelligent conversations. As many people noted above, there are alternatives to the WBO if youre just that desperate for a chatroom-esque space: Discord, the WBO’s PM system, etc. I highly suggest Discord since they have options ranging from group DMs to making whole servers

As mentioned above. the Beyblade and WBO community consists mostly of children and teens — but overall, it really doesnt matter. Ive been getting lessons on how to have proper debates and conversations since I was in elementary school. People sometimes need to refrain from letting children slide because they might be less intelligent than older folks. Children are capable of civil, productive discussions just as much as their older counterparts. Thats why in school, we are taught to debate and put our thoughts into meaningful ways. I think everyone is capable of not being spammy, regardless of their language and age

Its alright. I myself prefer a more chatroom-orientated space but Im always capable of keeping my productivity up. Im capable of adjusting my behavior when I should be. I just appropriate myself whenever possible and I think other people should do that too — speak productively and meaningfully when needs to be, like in the WBO’s public spaces; and you can be spammy and goofy in other spaces like PMs and Discord. Moderation, basically
(May. 16, 2021  8:30 PM)USN Wrote:
(May. 16, 2021  8:12 PM)6Jupiter5 Wrote: Times are changing and so is the WBO. The WBO I’d dominated primarily by children to mid teens (around 15) and the way it stands these people are much more interested in a more chat room like WBO (myself included). It’s nothing to be cautious about really and in fact we shouldn’t treat it as a problem. But if you want to remove the fan clubs I don’t really care since I was never really a part of that (although there are others that don’t particularly like that idea). All in all the purpose of the WBO has shifted because of the wants of the majority. While you don’t have to agree with this post this is my two cents. If you liked it I guess you can like it, if you dislike then I guess just ignore this.

This is a really good post. A lot of people want to keep the WBO as it was, but being a public website means it will change. I think the best way to deal with it is to just except everyone's differences. I someone is just here to chat, there's nothing we can do about. The staff is already short-handed enough so giving them more work is not a solution. I do agree with getting new staff members though.

This would be fine were the content still of the same quality as days past, but the customizations subforum is bleak. Unfortunately - and no offence to all of you - I'm not sure the userbase today is capable of fixing that - definitely not without some kind of incentive to be better, but maybe even then. Times change sure, but the forums are objectively worse for intelligent discussion of the competitive aspects of the game. That's depressing to me, but I'm not at a stage in my life where I'm able to throw all of my time and money at trying to be the change I want to see in the forums. Shouldn't have to be either, but it feels like the torch was dropped a while ago.

Maybe instead of goofing around get yourself some beyblades and start playing with them and testing out ideas, guys? I dunno. I always thought the fun in beyblade was in spinning the actual tops. 
All I know is that with the current state of the forum I couldn't get into Burst even if I wanted to.

I'm not going to say bring back Hazel/Roan, but it feels like the forums, especially customizations have been given up on sometimes. As it is, it seems like more mods (numerically speaking) are active in the Anime/Manga subforum than in customizations, and that's a shame IMO. Hell one of the few times I've seen an active staff member in customizations they managed to chase off Fyuuor from returning which is, uh... Not an ideal result... Obviously Shindog and Wombat both have presences but (and again no offence) as someone who only browses customizations stuff (including a bunch of more recent burst threads, not just Plastics) I don't see a lot of input - and with a staff list as big as I've ever seen that's a real disappointment.

Sorry if this sounds grouchy, I'm just a bit sad looking at the WBO of today and am probably lashing out about it unnecessarily.
(May. 16, 2021  8:12 PM)6Jupiter5 Wrote: Times are changing and so is the WBO. The WBO I’d dominated primarily by children to mid teens (around 15) and the way it stands these people are much more interested in a more chat room like WBO (myself included). It’s nothing to be cautious about really and in fact we shouldn’t treat it as a problem. But if you want to remove the fan clubs I don’t really care since I was never really a part of that (although there are others that don’t particularly like that idea). All in all the purpose of the WBO has shifted because of the wants of the majority. While you don’t have to agree with this post this is my two cents. If you liked it I guess you can like it, if you dislike then I guess just ignore this.I don't 
I don't quite understand so do you want to change the WBO age limit and get rid of people from ages 5-10 and instead the WBO will be a place for mid teens?
(May. 24, 2021  5:14 PM)JJustice Wrote:
(May. 16, 2021  8:12 PM)6Jupiter5 Wrote: Times are changing and so is the WBO. The WBO I’d dominated primarily by children to mid teens (around 15) and the way it stands these people are much more interested in a more chat room like WBO (myself included). It’s nothing to be cautious about really and in fact we shouldn’t treat it as a problem. But if you want to remove the fan clubs I don’t really care since I was never really a part of that (although there are others that don’t particularly like that idea). All in all the purpose of the WBO has shifted because of the wants of the majority. While you don’t have to agree with this post this is my two cents. If you liked it I guess you can like it, if you dislike then I guess just ignore this.I don't 
I don't quite understand so do you want to change the WBO age limit and get rid of people from ages 5-10 and instead the WBO will be a place for mid teens?

Beyblades were primarily targeted to be sold to teens when it first released. Also, usually as people get older, they get more mature. Therefore, you can have a more "proper" conversation. But, in NA Beyblade has taken the interest of a younger age group than TT wanted.
(May. 24, 2021  5:03 PM)th!nk Wrote:
(May. 16, 2021  8:30 PM)USN Wrote: This is a really good post. A lot of people want to keep the WBO as it was, but being a public website means it will change. I think the best way to deal with it is to just except everyone's differences. I someone is just here to chat, there's nothing we can do about. The staff is already short-handed enough so giving them more work is not a solution. I do agree with getting new staff members though.

This would be fine were the content still of the same quality as days past, but the customizations subforum is bleak. Unfortunately - and no offence to all of you - I'm not sure the userbase today is capable of fixing that - definitely not without some kind of incentive to be better, but maybe even then. Times change sure, but the forums are objectively worse for intelligent discussion of the competitive aspects of the game. That's depressing to me, but I'm not at a stage in my life where I'm able to throw all of my time and money at trying to be the change I want to see in the forums. Shouldn't have to be either, but it feels like the torch was dropped a while ago.

Maybe instead of goofing around get yourself some beyblades and start playing with them and testing out ideas, guys? I dunno. I always thought the fun in beyblade was in spinning the actual tops. 
All I know is that with the current state of the forum I couldn't get into Burst even if I wanted to.

I'm not going to say bring back Hazel/Roan, but it feels like the forums, especially customizations have been given up on sometimes. As it is, it seems like mods are more active in the Anime/Manga subforum than customizations, and that's a shame IMO. Hell one of the few times I've seen an active staff member in customizations they managed to chase off Fyuuor from returning which is, uh... Not an ideal result...

Sorry if this sounds grouchy, I'm just a bit sad looking at the WBO of today and am probably lashing out about it unnecessarily.

I know that it might not change, in fact, I was arguing for the point earlier on this thread.
I was just saying all we can do it try. We can educate people and teach them why we want the WBO the way we want it. Even if you only do it a couple times a month, every bit helps. Your opinion will be heard and sometimes that is all that it takes.
BTW I agree with the testing thing. I would if I had a standard stadium. I think it will kick back into gear more once Covid is over.
(May. 24, 2021  5:21 PM)GreenK9148 Wrote:
(May. 24, 2021  5:14 PM)JJustice Wrote: I don't quite understand so do you want to change the WBO age limit and get rid of people from ages 5-10 and instead the WBO will be a place for mid teens?

Beyblades were primarily targeted to be sold to teens when it first released. Also, usually as people get older, they get more mature. Therefore, you can have a more "proper" conversation. But, in NA Beyblade has taken the interest of a younger age group than TT wanted.

Okay thank you for feedback
(May. 24, 2021  5:14 PM)JJustice Wrote:

This is a place for mid-teens.
(May. 24, 2021  5:23 PM)USN Wrote:
(May. 24, 2021  5:14 PM)JJustice Wrote: I don't quite understand so do you want to change the WBO age limit and get rid of people from ages 5-10 and instead the WBO will be a place for mid teens?

This is a place for mid-teens.

This is a place for all ages.
(May. 24, 2021  5:30 PM)CheetoBlader Wrote:
(May. 24, 2021  5:23 PM)USN Wrote: This is a place for mid-teens.

This is a place for all ages.

True, but most of the people on this website are teens. While all are welcome, typically younger children are less likely to be on social media. Also, It might just be me but I would not have been this involved with a game when I was younger.
Somewhat a question to be asked on the WBO questions thread instead: Is there an age requirement on the WBO? Im not sure if I accidentally missed it at some point, but I dont really remember people enforcing age requirements here

That being asked, one reason I feel like the WBO server is a lot more mature is because of Discord’s age requirement. You have to be 13 years old to use Discord as per its Terms of Service, and by then people start to be a little bit more mature. Sure, its easy to be an annoying 13 year old (that was me at some point!) but when you are 11-12, it is a whole lot easier to spam and not contribute meaningfully. I’m not sure how many kids under 13 actually use the WBO — the “underaged kids = more spam” is only a hypothesis of mine

Im not suggesting an age requirement here, unless other people feel fit to implement it given the world’s child safety laws and the WBO’s need to handle immaturity here
(May. 24, 2021  6:07 PM)XSabxManiacX Wrote: Somewhat a question to be asked on the WBO questions thread instead: Is there an age requirement on the WBO? Im not sure if I accidentally missed it at some point, but I dont really remember people enforcing age requirements here

That being asked, one reason I feel like the WBO server is a lot more mature is because of Discord’s age requirement. You have to be 13 years old to use Discord as per its Terms of Service, and by then people start to be a little bit more mature. Sure, its easy to be an annoying 13 year old (that was me at some point!) but when you are 11-12, it is a whole lot easier to spam and not contribute meaningfully. I’m not sure how many kids under 13 actually use the WBO — the “underaged kids = more spam” is only a hypothesis of mine

Im not suggesting an age requirement here, unless other people feel fit to implement it given the world’s child safety laws and the WBO’s need to handle immaturity here

i understand this but by that logic 12 yr olds can randomly stop spamming when they turn 13 lol
(May. 24, 2021  6:07 PM)XSabxManiacX Wrote: Somewhat a question to be asked on the WBO questions thread instead: Is there an age requirement on the WBO? Im not sure if I accidentally missed it at some point, but I dont really remember people enforcing age requirements here

Yes, but also no. With parental consent, anyone of any age can sign up. However, without parental consent, users must be 13 years of age or older. If I recall correctly, this was put into place after COPPA passed in late 2019, as the site could've faced legal trouble over it.
(May. 24, 2021  6:14 PM)beykid44 Wrote:

i understand this but by that logic 12 yr olds can randomly stop spamming when they turn 13 lol

The hypothesis is merely the shorter version of what I actually have. Im not saying that underaged people are the actual spammers compared to 13 year olds — because when I was 13, I actually did some pretty obnoxious stuff too — I just think that sometimes, restricting underaged people can kill two birds with one stone. Many public sites are required to abide by child safety laws such as not allowing kids under 13, and some of those sites actually experience bad contributions from underaged people

Take the Wings of Fire fandom, for example. The series’s wiki had a bunch of underaged people — as young as seven, no joke — whom I have to report so often. They spam and scream and use all caps, etc. Basically make socializing a terrible experience and not contributing to productive conversations. 13 year olds pose similar problems, but its somewhat better to take out the underaged people first

The point: Its not solving the entire problem, but its taking a huge chunk of the problem out
(May. 24, 2021  6:19 PM)XSabxManiacX Wrote:
(May. 24, 2021  6:14 PM)beykid44 Wrote: i understand this but by that logic 12 yr olds can randomly stop spamming when they turn 13 lol

The hypothesis is merely the shorter version of what I actually have. Im not saying that underaged people are the actual spammers compared to 13 year olds — because when I was 13, I actually did some pretty obnoxious stuff too — I just think that sometimes, restricting underaged people can kill two birds with one stone. Many public sites are required to abide by child safety laws such as not allowing kids under 13, and some of those sites actually experience bad contributions from underaged people

Take the Wings of Fire fandom, for example. The series’s wiki had a bunch of underaged people — as young as seven, no joke — whom I have to report so often. They spam and scream and use all caps, etc. Basically make socializing a terrible experience and not contributing to productive conversations. 13 year olds pose similar problems, but its somewhat better to take out the underaged people first

The point: Its not solving the entire problem, but its taking a huge chunk of the problem out

Makes sense tho