The Inheritance Cycle Thread.

The title doesn't really say it all since I can't figure out what you all are talking about.

A synopsis in the title would really help people who are interested...
A book about magic, dragons, elves, dwarves, and magical dragon elves.

I'll be buying the final book next month - I never actually read Brisingr, but I own it, so I'll power through the two of them when I get the fourth book.
(Nov. 09, 2011  2:46 AM)Hazel Wrote: A book about magic, dragons, elves, dwarves, and magical dragon elves.

I'll be buying the final book next month - I never actually read Brisingr, but I own it, so I'll power through the two of them when I get the fourth book.
That is just vague enough to be LotR.
(Nov. 09, 2011  2:47 AM)Deikailo Wrote:
(Nov. 09, 2011  2:46 AM)Hazel Wrote: A book about magic, dragons, elves, dwarves, and magical dragon elves.

That is just vague enough to be LotR.

Boy finds dragon egg. Egg bonds with boy. Boy rides dragon to fight evil dragons. Boy learns magic. Boy turns into an elf.

Or, if you're really interested, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Inheritance_Cycle this was not hard to find.
You know me and my suck reading skills so wiki does not work well for me. I just wanted to know what to buy first when I get a kindle.

But thank you for giving me a Dei-friendly abridged version.
Paolini's writing is borderline amateur in the first book, but by the second it shapes up considerably. From what I recall, anyway. The books also tend to switch perspectives a lot, which bothered me at first, but I eventually got used to it.
Oh, this is part of Eragon, isn't it?
(Nov. 09, 2011  3:09 AM)Deikailo Wrote: Oh, this is part of Eragon, isn't it?

Eragon is the first book in the seiries.

I should be getting the fourth book soon, 'hope it's good. :D
Just finished the series. ;_; I feel very very sad. The ending was amazing, and most of the theories were correct, but it's really over. It was an amazing series, truly.
Yes, I am glad there is a thread for this! I am screaming at mah school librarian to get Inheritance! I want the Brisngr sword because it has epics. Grin
"Inheritance" is such a fitting name for a series that only got published and recognized due to the author's parents having deep pockets.

I wish my parents were rich so I could have my borderline copy paste Star Wars knockoffs published. Unhappy
It also helps that they owned a publishing company too.

EDIT: But it's still a good series though, he was fortunate to have the necessary circumstances to be able to publish his series.
Just finished the final book and I loved it. My only complaint is that it seemed a bit rushed in some parts but otherwise a brilliant book and a brilliant series.

Also To is so jelly
Finished the last book and my comment is......What the HELL was that! I actually think the books got worse as time went on....but the last book was just awful....just pure carp awful....*throws inheritance into trash can*
The ending was sad and depressing, despite
the obvious happy event happening (Click to View)
However, I still think it was an amazing book, so IDK what you're talking about. Serious
I don't think I've ever been satisfied with a book's ending. Writers get too attached to a story and become borderline illiterate by the time they reach the conclusion of their story.

However, as for actual literary quality, Paolini's first book was by far his most amateur work, bordering on looking like a fanfiction.net entry. The writing quality got better in Eldest - I have not yet read Brisingr or whatever the fourth one is called, though.
The fourth one is simply called 'Inheritance'. The ending wasn't bad in quality, it was just really sad and depressing. I was between going 'what is this I don't even (in the good sense)' and ';_;' after finishing Inheritance.
Having started reading them again and finishing the first book tonight, as I moved on to the second, I remembered the one thing I hated most about it -
Very aggravating.
While it's true that Roran's parts tend to be rather dull, especially when the major cliffhangers in Du Weldenvarden occur for Eragon's parts, it does get much better, especially during the 3rd book.
I tend not to be fond of perspective switching at all, to be entirely honest. Muddles things when done wrong, and I've never seen it done well enough to avoid that issue.
I just hate myself more for abandoning WBO for a few months because of this thread.

I've always been a huge IC fan, and I've loved the series from the start; it's really good, though I agree it does have some parallels to LoTR and Star Wars, but then again it might be a genre thing.

Eragon WAS borderline amateur, but by Brisingr he sounded as mature as a 20+-year-old can be. I have to say the ending of 'Inheritance' was terrible...maybe not really, but it left me gasping for more and THEN remembering it's all over. It's depressing. I am delighted most of the theories were correct (*ehem*...Rock of Kuthian..) but I really thought Arya would come with Eragon. Still star-crossed lovers, are they?
Pretty much every Dragon Riding Hero book goes exactly the same way in general progression, and this one was really not different in many meaningful ways.

I personally don't find it that much of a bad thing, though, and the specifics of this series are enjoyable enough that any negatives can be overlooked. I'd just like to discuss a few things about split perspectives with Paolini, because, should he ever write another book, I would hate to see this silliness in another one unless he learns how to make it anything but boring.
Fortunately, in my enjoyment of the book, I had successfully forgotten the spoiler that the ending was disappointing. That also means that I have not viewed the spoilers in this topic until now, since I have not actually finished the final book yet, but here are some comments :

I would have really appreciated if the author would have made the book slightly bigger just to elaborate on those points instead of leaving them so ridiculously sudden ...
Well, technically
However, I do have to agree that
Paolini did acknowledge that he left many things unanswered.
Overall, a good book though. However, like you stated, it has so much more potential.
Hm, as far as I know,