"Tales Of" Series

Okay, so, I'm roughly twenty hours in and I'll post kind of a little review of what I understand.

So yeah, if it gets dubbed well, it could become my new second favourite game, replacing Tales of Vesperia or, at least, matching it.
This forum has a Tales thread? Awesome! Now I know I'm not going back to those jerks at the official forums.

(Mar. 25, 2010  10:20 PM)Dude Wrote: Of course, if the boss battles are the problem, the solution if level farming.

The solution to boss problems in KoR is not level farming, it's spamming free run and heavenly tempest. Mystic Artes too in the end game.

(Mar. 26, 2010  4:03 AM)SK Wrote: tales of symphonia is my fav game of all time Smile i'm not sure on the exact amount of times, but i think i beat it 5+ times. wish they'd make a tales game for ps3

I beat ToS even more than that.

(Mar. 27, 2010  5:59 AM)Kei Wrote: Even at five times, wow. How many hours does it take you to beat it?

40-70 for me, depending on the number of side quests I do. I've heard it's possible in 20 hours though. How he can do it in 12-15 I've no idea.

(Feb. 18, 2011  3:42 AM)Kaji Motomiya Wrote: I'm sure Tales fans already know, but NamcoBandai announced the North American port for Tales of Graces f for the PS3...
...if you have a PS3, are you excited for this new addition to the "Tales of" series in North America?

I don't have a PS3 so I'm kind of pissed off I can't play this game as it was originally released on the Wii, which I do have.

(Feb. 18, 2011  4:19 AM)Kaji Motomiya Wrote: But Johnny Yong Bosche was used as Guy in Abyss and Emil in Symphonia: Ratatosk Knights/Dawn of the New World.

They don't reuse them as main characters in general but KoR wasn't a main series game so I doubt it counts.

(Feb. 23, 2011  5:15 AM)Temporal Wrote: Tales of Phantasia is so hard to beat...I got lost.

Lol, so true. It's kinda frustrating but still well worth it.

(Aug. 29, 2011  2:25 AM)Kaji Motomiya Wrote: TBH, I think it'd be cool if some of the old games got ported. Like Destiny. I've always wanted to play Destiny Directors Cut and play as Leon Magnus (dreamy boy, isn't he?). It's mostly him that makes it my most favorite series.

Destiny came out in america but it was the rubbish PS1 version. I don't like Leon, he's obnoxious and his japanese voice hurts my ears. Plus the one person I'd like to see voice him in english (Rick May) is apparently dead...
I do like how Leon, who has one of the most normal hair colours in the series, is the only one who dyes it though.

(Sep. 02, 2011  12:26 AM)Temporal Wrote: Ah, finally beat Tales of Phantasia. Time to get another "Tales" game, preferably one for the PSP.

ToP was great IMO. If you're still searching for another, ToE PSP should be cheap, though you'll have to import from europe and RM's not bad either, though it's not got quite the same level of replay value as the rest of the series.

(Sep. 02, 2011  12:34 AM)theheidtman Wrote: Well a few months ago I beat Tales of The Abyss. LONGEST. GAME. EVER. But I thoroughly enjoyed. I found it nearly flawless.

Loading times. Random freezes while loading.
Great game but those seriously put me off. I'll be getting it on the 3DS as the cartridge format solves those issues.

(Sep. 09, 2011  6:39 PM)Kaji Motomiya Wrote: But to stay on topic, anyone in the WBO ever took a crack at these games? Besides the guy who just beat Phantasia? Like, played Symphonia, Abyss, Vesperia, or even...sigh...Legendia?

I've played every tales game released in english besides Vesperia and as soon as I can find that cheap I'll be playing it on an associate's Xbox.

(Sep. 14, 2011  3:14 PM)Dude Wrote: Well, this one is obviously Tales related, so it can't be THAT bad.

KoR says "hi"...

(Sep. 15, 2011  12:02 AM)To Wrote: Tales of the Heroes: Twin Brave Action announced for PSP.

Is this the mythical "Sword of Legendia" atlast or is that still "in development" and "not a tales series game"?

(Sep. 15, 2011  11:52 AM)To Wrote: Tales of Innocence R Trailer

Well that's clearly too good to make it oversees. Plus, I'd have to by a new PSP with awkward touchscreen controls on the back (seriously, wtf?!) to play it...
Also, is it just me or is that trailer a rip off of the ToS opening?

(Sep. 22, 2011  1:09 AM)Kaji Motomiya Wrote: Tales of Heroes PV

That looks downright amazing! I now feel like a complete and utter idiot for buying SCL (until now I atleast had the excuse of beating up friends as Lloyd). The best part is, I prefer the tech names in japanese and there'll be practically no story so I shouldn't lose out by importing. What's this on anyway?

ToX sounds fun but I doubt I'll ever get it (I don't own the console, even if it does make it over here).
Actually, earlier this year Scamco's US divisions registered trademarks relating to Tales of Innocence, and I doubt it's for the DS release.
(Oct. 15, 2011  10:39 AM)Dracomageat Wrote: The solution to boss problems in KoR is not level farming, it's spamming free run and heavenly tempest. Mystic Artes too in the end game.

KoR is... its own catergory (Yeah, that's a good excuse...)

Also, you sure had a lot to say, didn't you?

EDIT: Also, I'm near the end of ToX (Last boss, pretty much) and it's losing a few points for absolutely-goddamn-carp-annoying status effect. Those are common, in RPGs, but when a boss can inflict Confusion on you (Which basically makes you directly attack your allies, instead of something logical like making you act drunk) with every single attack it has, there's something wrong, here.
Urgh, now I'm torn. Another Tales game, or Persona 3? Such a dillema, such a dillema. HALP!
Persona 3 is far inferior to Persona 4, by the way. If you've already played Persona 4 and want to play the third installement, get ready to be disappointed. If you haven't played Persona 4 yet, for some reason, get that one. Well worth your money.

I'm finally able to use Jude's Mystic Arte, in ToX. The guy basically punches and kicks the living carp out of the ennemy, making him that much more awesome. I had a lot of trouble getting it to work, though. You have to first be in Overlimit (Which can be activated through Link Artes, I believe) and then you have to do use a 30 TP Artes, hold the attack button and then, you'll do the Mystic Arte. It's worth the trouble, though.
(Oct. 16, 2011  2:55 AM)Dude Wrote: Also, you sure had a lot to say, didn't you?

I'd missed an entire 4 pages of tales discussion. I had a lot of catching up to do.
And no, you really can't count KoR as a tales game. Even the other spinoff games are closer to what the series should be IMO.

(Oct. 16, 2011  4:35 AM)Temporal Wrote: Urgh, now I'm torn. Another Tales game, or Persona 3? Such a dillema, such a dillema. HALP!

Tales or anything is an easy choice IMO. You always choose Tales.

EDIT: I want to beyblade with Nightmare Anubis but nobody would get the joke Unhappy.
So, I just finished beating Tales of Xillia's last boss.

I still haven't completed the EX Dungeon, which is said to be pretty damn big.

Anyway, I'd say it's my second favourite Tales game, the number 1 still being Vesperia, and Xillia is probably in my top ten favourite games. I recommend it, especially if it gets an American release.
So, besides the main character of every Tales game, who was your favorite non-main character to use in battle?

Leaving aside Phantasia, I'd vote on Sheena and Regal (Symphonia), Jake (Legendia), Guy (Abyss), and Repede and Judith (Vesperia, though Judith was more recently). I'm curious to try fighting with Rita, Melee style.
Guy, Chloe, Farah or Marta, depending on the game.
Currently amassing Grade in Tales of Xillia for my Milla play. Having seen Milla's opening on Youtube, I think it's even better than Jude's, if only because we see both her and Jude fighting Gaius and that Milla pulls off a very cool roar (Which we don't hear but rather see) when sword-fighting Gaius. Plus, for having played with her in the Arena (and having won a weapon that was soooooo not worth the trouble) I can tell she plays pretty nice. Giotta love those sword-users. I wonder what'll happen to the Jude opening, though. I hope my game with him isn't like...destroyed or anything. That would suck...

Anyway, for my favorite characters, I'd say

-Tear in Abyss (She's serious and professionnal but still compassionate and caring)
-Rita in Vesperia (She's just hilarious all the time and a good example of how a strong female protagonist can be done)
-Colette in Symphonia (She just wants everyone to be happy! What a kind girl x3)
-Sophie in Graces (Despite the fact she suffers from amnesia (Of course) she remains very kind and helpful throughout the game)
-Elise in Xillia (Sooooooooooo cute x3 She's a really nice and polite girl and the fact that she's pretty shy just makes her even cuter! Though everybody hates her because she can summon horrible darkness tentacles from the ground, but she's glad Jude likes her Joyful_3 ... Oh, and I hate Tippo, but he's a different character)

Is Legendia worth playing, by the way? I never touched it...
(Nov. 21, 2011  4:46 PM)Dude Wrote: Is Legendia worth playing, by the way? I never touched it...

The general opinion is that character interaction and music are its main selling points but, being a fan of classic video game soundtracks, I've got to say that I preferred the OSTs of just about every other game in the series.
On a positive note though, the story was good fun, the environments were beautiful, the cast were all great (though Jay isn't exactly my favourite) and I thoroughly enjoyed getting to know them and their world. I also found the monsters to be more comical than most and there was more inspiration behind them IMO.
Finally, while most people will tell you that the battle system pales in comparison to the other games, I found it to be the best 2D system in the entire series, with a fair amount of hidden depth (for example, the knockback of attacks is semi-cumulative, making infinite combos a fair bit harder).

My one real disappointment with Legendia was that the lack of multiplayer and interesting sidequests killed most of the replay value.
lol Stupid me. I meant Jay. And I was referring to favorite characters you use in battle other than the main protagonist.

IMO, I found Legendia to be annoying. I wasn't at all a fan with its story at all, and Senel as a character (not fighter) really ticked me off. Even Luke was better than him. I also wasn't a fan of how the models looks in general. When I see Pokemon Rumble for the 3DS, I think of Legendia.
Story is a matter of opinion I guess, as is the Senel/Luke preference. Senel, like most of the ToL characters, starts out pretty annoying but they do (with the possible exception of Jay) become much more likable as the story progresses. Luke, on the other hand, was just a more obnoxious version of me so I didn't like him in the slightest.

The map models were fine IMO but the plasticy, in -battle ones took some getting used to I'll admit.
The thing I didn't like about Senel was that he was one-track minded. He was all for Shirley and all, but he was either clueless of or ignoring her feelings. It's even clouded his judgement many times, and he was constantly fawning over Stella, who died prior to the story. And even at the end, after the final (not final final) boss, he's still oblivious of her feelings.

At least Tear and Luke were honest with each other. At least Luke realized his mistakes and wanted to make it better. That's just me though, because I see myself in Luke than I do Senel.

But Yuri beats all main characters in the Tales of series, hands down. The vigilante part of him makes him so cool.
I see myself in Luke. That's the problem.

As for the whole relationship issue with Shirley, there's been a lot of debate on that elsewhere, mostly focusing on the idea that She doesn't really know what love is herself. Your view is a new one but then again, there didn't seem to be much of a pro-Shirley side on the tales forums so...
Am I one of the only few who felt sorry for Shirley? I saw it as Senel totally focusing on one girl over another, even after that one girl is dead.

Wait, didn't he fall over another girl that wasn't Stella (or Chloe, but he was more oblivious to Chloe than Shirley...poor Chloe...), the one that Shirley met in her prison or something? I mean, it was like Shirley existed in Senel's life, but not the way she wanted it to. Her life mattered, but it felt like her love didn't.

Also, I meant that I saw myself in Luke in terms of finding yourself and realizing who you are and what you can do that nobody else can't. I was obnoxious like him too, but I also had that extreme change of heart he had.
No, he never fell for Fenimore. He in theory ended the main story married to Shirley but come the CQs they were as distant as ever. Yes, I do kind of feel sorry for Chloe but in a way I also like how it didn't really work out for the pair of them. It's hard to say how that works though.

As for me being Luke, I meant that I was literally saying his exact lines before he did on my first playthrough.
It seriously pissed me off because I didn't want to associate with someone who was that much of a jerk.
I've not had my moment of realisation yet, though I am expecting it soonish.
Finally got past where I left off last year. Who am I fighting? Yeager. Guess what? THE SECRET MISSION SOUNDS COMPLICATED AS carp.

I mean, c'mon, Schwee-who-must-not-be-named was hard because I had to suffer from his Mystic Art for it. This guy is a b-n-duh-half because I have to break his guard doing so, then switch to Raven for arrow-firing goodness. And his guard isn't easily broken. Man...I hate these Secret Missions....
The items you got from the Secret Missions are rarely worth it, really XD The last boss' secret mission is worth it, though. Very much so.

Also, just discovered that there is a maximum amount of Grade to be had, in Xillia. I've read that it's around 10 000 Grade. You gain grade by doing certain things that I think the game basically lists in one of the menus... I have like 3700 Grade, right now, and I want to do a Milla Playthrough, but I can't understand the Japanese Grade Shop, so I can't understand carp XD
Aaaaaand got 'im. God, I haven't had to go through a boss this annoying since Schwee-who-must-not-be-named.
Three things:

A: The fact that, like Vesperia, they kept the English version of the theme makes me happy. I wonder if the theme for Xilia has an English version, too.
B: I am much more excited than I was before. Though I'll have to wait a bit longer since I have to put off getting a PS3 a bit longer.
C: I forgot the third thing, actually. I was being harassed as I was typing this on the bus. I'll figure it out at some point.

Finally...YEEEEEEAAAAAAAAH!!!
(Dec. 05, 2011  1:55 PM)Dude Wrote: I have like 3700 Grade, right now, and I want to do a Milla Playthrough, but I can't understand the Japanese Grade Shop, so I can't understand carp XD

If it's in katakana or hiragana english I can try my hand at translating but I have my suspicions that, if it were, you'd've worked it out already and I don't speak much real japanese.
T-That...That...that t-trailer... I-I... I just... Oo *Faints*

Okay, a few things in rapid succession. First of all, AWESOME!!!! Second are the few voice actors we heard. As kid Asbel, we have Kate Higgins, whom some might remember as Sakura from Naruto or C.C from Code Geass. She has a nice range and usually turns in a good performance, so I'm not worried here. The problem is with grown-up Asbel... He's voiced by Bryce Papenbrook and I hate his voice. It's kinda unfair from me, because I've only heard him like three times in anything and two of those were actually okay, but I think I was traumatized by his horrible performance as Aoto in Ar Tonelico Qoga, the only game I have ever immediatly brought back to the store to get a refund. Other than that, you might know him as Masaomi Kida from Durarara!! or maybe Hanabusa Aido from Vampire Knight. He sounded okay in the trailer, though, so I guess we'll see. Sophie is voiced by a completely unknown woman to me called Cassandra Morris and I can't tell you much about her. The only thing I've heard her in was Yu-Gi-Oh 5D's as Leo and Luna, though she was replaced by some other woman starting season 3. She sounded decent in the trailer, so I'm not too worried. As for kid Richard, whom I believe to be the only one left that actually had a spoken line of dialogue in the trailer, he's voiced by Wendee Lee. An odd choice, considering how high-pitched her voice usually is, but she's a great voice actor, so I'm not worried there. She doesn't need any introduction, since there's around a 50% chance you've heard her in something.

I like that they bring in voice actors that never did anything for the franchise 'til now, instead of recycling the usual, it gives this game a fresh taste. Despite my hate of Bryce Papenbrook's voice, I think this trailer looks damn fine. It's also cool that they have the english version of ~White Whises~ instead of putting some stupid instrumental, or something.

Thanks for posting the trailer To Joyful_3

Since I've already pre-ordered and fully pre-paid my copy of this already awesome game, I'll just have to go to my game store on March 13, the confirmed release date, and get my copy Joyful_3