Standardized rule set for custom Beys

Hello Everyone!!!

I wanted to get some opinions...

Are they any currently used rules, or what should the rules be regarding custom beys, perhaps made from "home made" or "3d Printed" parts? (Not Hasbro or Takara Tomy made)

I'm thinking should there be a weight limit or a max Bey diameter limit ..... and so on... here are my current ideas on a basic rule set:
  • 60grams total weight limit
  • 80mm Diameter and Height limit (so that it could fit within an 80X80X80mm box)
  • Only Three components allowed, which have to be removable without the use of tools (No screwing or gluing all parts together) 
  • Must be able to be launched from a standard launcher. 
Does anyone have ideas or comments to add on this topic?
(May. 07, 2021  11:55 AM)Evan@MTB Wrote: Hello Everyone!!!

Are they any currently used rules, or what should the rules be regarding custom beys, perhaps made from "home made" or "3d Printed" parts? (Not Hasbro or Takara Tomy made)

I'm thinking should there be a weight limit or a max Bey diameter limit ..... and so on... here are my current ideas on a basic rule set:
  • 80mm Diameter and Height limit (so that it could fit within an 80X80X80mm box)
  • Only Three components allowed, which have to be removable without the use of tools (No screwing or gluing all parts together) 

80 mm is too big of a diameter. Somewhere around 65 should be more fair.
(May. 07, 2021  12:20 PM)Logic123ABC Wrote:
(May. 07, 2021  11:55 AM)Evan@MTB Wrote: Hello Everyone!!!

80 mm is too big of a diameter.  Somewhere around 65 should be more fair.

Yeah I reckon you're right. 
80mm seems way too big on reflection 65/70mm does seem more fair to me now.
This is too complicated a task to really enforce, which is why the WBO doesn't try to do custom bey tournaments.

Like, does one custom Sparking layer screwed together from 3 individual pieces ( such as to house a gimmick of some sort) constitute 3 parts or 1?

Is it "3 custom parts and everything else must be official", "you must have 3 custom parts and nothing else", or "your bey must have 3 parts, and no more regardless as to whether it's official or not"?

Why even limit it to 3 parts at all if it fits everything else?

What about breakages? Custom printed parts are more likely to break.

What about metal laden contact points? Legal or no?

This is just the tip of the iceberg.
(May. 07, 2021  8:28 PM)MagikHorse Wrote: This is too complicated a task to really enforce, which is why the WBO doesn't try to do custom bey tournaments.

Like, does one custom Sparking layer screwed together from 3 individual pieces ( such as to house a gimmick of some sort) constitute 3 parts or 1?

Is it "3 custom parts and everything else must be official", "you must have 3 custom parts and nothing else", or "your bey must have 3 parts, and no more regardless as to whether it's official or not"?

Many VERY good points here THANK YOU! 
I guess my thread title also could have been: "If the WBO started custom Bey Tournaments what would be the rules, hypothetically?"

I imagined that something like the 3 parts rule would be likely to happen, as if players were limited to just 3 parts (e.g 1. Layer   2. Disc   3.Tip) there would be less custom gimmicks, gimmicks which could be tricky to monitor or regulate, and there would be a correlation with less parts making for maybe less breakages.  (Although crazy custom gimmicks could be awesome)

I also assumed that within a custom Bey tournament players would have to bring completely custom beys with no 'official' parts allowed. (But I guess mixing up official and unofficial parts could be fun)

Honestly I did not consider the safety issues, but you are very right, a tournament organiser would have to consider the likelihood that there would be WAY more breakages. More breakages could equal more fun though. 
Maybe there would have to be a radiused or filleted edges rule, so that there are no sharp edges, and maybe a more enclosed bey-stadium would need to be invented, maybe players would have to launch from behind Perspex sheets somehow. 

Suggested Revised Ruleset: 

• 65mm Diameter and Height limit (so that the bey could fit within a 65X65X65mm box)

• Only Three components allowed, which have to be removable without the use of tools (No screwing or gluing parts together) 

• The three components must consist of a Layer, a Disc and a tip, these parts must be 'solid' parts which cannot be separated into further pieces  

• Every edge must have a Radius of 2mm or greater (no sharp edge)

• [ LOTS of extra safety stuff... TBC ]
(May. 07, 2021  10:45 PM)Evan@MTB Wrote:
(May. 07, 2021  8:28 PM)MagikHorse Wrote: This is too complicated a task to really enforce, which is why the WBO doesn't try to do custom bey tournaments.

Many VERY good points here THANK YOU! 
I guess my thread title also could have been: "If the WBO started custom Bey Tournaments what would be the rules, hypothetically?"

I imagined that something like the 3 parts rule would be likely to happen, as if players were limited to just 3 parts (e.g 1. Layer   2. Disc   3.Tip) there would be less custom gimmicks, gimmicks which could be tricky to monitor or regulate, and there would be a correlation with less parts making for maybe less breakages.  (Although crazy custom gimmicks could be awesome)

I also assumed that within a custom Bey tournament players would have to bring completely custom beys with no 'official' parts allowed. (But I guess mixing up official and unofficial parts could be fun)

Honestly I did not consider the safety issues, but you are very right, a tournament organiser would have to consider the likelihood that there would be WAY more breakages. More breakages could equal more fun though. 
Maybe there would have to be a radiused or filleted edges rule, so that there are no sharp edges, and maybe a more enclosed bey-stadium would need to be invented, maybe players would have to launch from behind Perspex sheets somehow.

Just gonna say it, i don't like the part count limit at all and don't understand why you think it's not only necessary but inevitable. What if you create something like the Xtend+ addon for your custom tip? You couldn't use it because it'd be part #4. Same thing with disk frames, those wouldn't be usable even if you created a custom disk capable of using them (which, by the way, printing in steel is far pricier and since this seems to ban official disks...). It also cuts out the possibilities of customs based on previous generations, such as the plastic gen, that used way more than 3 parts. This basically forces it to be a Burst-styled format for realistically no reason, or forces people to merge parts together (eg a spin gear with the blade base) to emulate other lines.

It also doesn't answer the question about multi-part layers, or anything resembling an actual Burst driver which would require at least 6 parts (the top plate, the spring, the top half of the outside, the bottom half/actual tip, plus 2 screws) to actually manufacture in any working fashion. Is that illegal? What about putting a metal ball on the tip, is that another part? Just saying, forcing it to be exactly 3 parts doesn't just make harder gimmicks difficult to pull off but rather makes essentially anything remotely close to a gimmick impossible too.

Also, as someone who actually has their own 3D printed custom, breaking those is the opposite of fun. No way does that add to the experience.
(May. 08, 2021  1:11 AM)MagikHorse Wrote:
(May. 07, 2021  10:45 PM)Evan@MTB Wrote: Many VERY good points here THANK YOU! 

Just gonna say it, i don't like the part count limit at all and don't understand why you think it's not only necessary but inevitable. What if you create something like the Xtend+ addon for your custom tip? You couldn't use it because it'd be part #4. Same thing with disk frames, those wouldn't be usable even if you created a custom disk capable of using them (which, by the way, printing in steel is far pricier and since this seems to ban official disks...). It also cuts out the possibilities of customs based on previous generations, such as the plastic gen, that used way more than 3 parts. This basically forces it to be a Burst-styled format for realistically no reason, or forces people to merge parts together (eg a spin gear with the blade base) to emulate other lines.

It also doesn't answer the question about multi-part layers, or anything resembling an actual Burst driver which would require at least 6 parts (the top plate, the spring, the top half of the outside, the bottom half/actual tip, plus 2 screws) to actually manufacture in any working fashion. Is that illegal? What about putting a metal ball on the tip, is that another part? Just saying, forcing it to be exactly 3 parts doesn't just make harder gimmicks difficult to pull off but rather makes essentially anything remotely close to a gimmick impossible too.

Also, as someone who actually has their own 3D printed custom, breaking those is the opposite of fun. No way does that add to the experience.

Alright the part count is off the table, obviously I think the part limit is less fun, I just assumed that in a hypothetical world the WBO would make a rule like this for custom tournaments so that 'gimmick regulation' wouldn't be a concern... But I guess part of the fun of custom Beys would be to make your own gimmicks up and see if they work, so if you reckon that in this hypothetical world the WBO would not make a part limit rule then that's GREAT.

Maybe a pretty simple ruleset would be best e.g.: 
  • 60 grams weight limit
  • Your bey must fit inside a 65x65x65mm box
  • Must be able to be launched from a standard launcher
  • Must have no sharp edges 
 And maybe that's it, I'm sure that this would make for a nightmare situation if this was the ruleset used within professionally organised custom bey tournaments but as a rule-set to use with friendly matches maybe this would be a good basic ruleset to have fun with.