So let me get this straight... beyblades still exist and there is a fanbase for them?

hello "bladers" (I think that's what you are all called yes?),

When I was about eleven, and was still in elementary school, there was a fad going around called "beyblades". They were slick spinning tops that you would battle in an mini arena, and at the time I thought they were pretty cool, and kind of wanted one. sadly, I never got the chance to get one, as at the time my family was at a rough point money wise. lucky, the fad quickly faded away, and I never saw those little metal-plastic toys again...

Now about 5 years later I'm a junior in high school...

today i was surfing on youtube and was just watching random videos and eventualy this video came into the suggested video bar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cA86Jx2sjng&t=56s

Now at first I thought the video was a joke, but then watched the video and these chaps took this high tech beyblade device really seriously.

I then look at their channel and found they had 300000 subs, and was wowed. How could a channel about beyblades, some old toy, be popular nowadays?

then I delved deeper and found my way here.

so, what do you guys like about these tops and whatnot? what drives you to make an entire site for them and go to big old contests and such?

I'm just confused...

Sincerely,
Ohm
Y'know, I'm also a bit confused XD
I don't really know what makes us like beyblade to this extent, it's just something that brings us joy I guess. To some extent it is sorta satisfying to battle them and test their performance but the real reason remains unknown to me. This community is a group of people from all over the world who like beyblade, there are tornaments run by members, sellers who sell on multiple sites, people who give us info on upcoming products, and there are just the casual bladers that join in the conversation now and then. The 3,000,000 subs that BeybladeGeeks have are tbh mostly kids, but there are the ones that take blading seriously. There is a competitive scene to this toy that a lot of people talk and discuss about, winning combos and part testing are just some examples. Overall we're a community of people who love and dedicate part of their lives to blading; I hope you found the answers you're looking for and I hope you can find yourself having a good time here Smile
(Feb. 12, 2017  1:46 AM)Mage Wrote: Y'know, I'm also a bit confused XD
I don't really know what makes us like beyblade to this extent, it's just something that brings us joy I guess. To some extent it is sorta satisfying to battle them and test their performance but the real reason remains unknown to me. This community is a group of people from all over the world who like beyblade, there are tornaments run by members, sellers who sell on multiple sites, people who give us info on upcoming products, and there are just the casual bladers that join in the conversation now and then. The 3,000,000 subs that BeybladeGeeks have are tbh mostly kids, but there are the ones that take blading seriously. There is a competitive scene to this toy that a lot of people talk and discuss about, winning combos and part testing are just some examples. Overall we're a community of people who love and dedicate part of their lives to blading; I hope you found the answers you're looking for and I hope you can find yourself having a good time here Smile

thanks man. This seems like a nice community. maybe ill stay around for awhile!
That's a custom launcher from TheMechanicPapa. Pretty sure he was the first to use a tachometer. The guy is basically a legend. I think many people were attracted to Metal Fight because the series revolved around legitimate technology. Metal Fight made the game real. The innovation explored in Metal Fight easily equals that of other niche sports - like yoyo, RC, etc. This was a big drawcard for many older bladers, in addition to the standard younger cohort and loyal fans. Every month, another thread just like this would pop up and heap praise upon Beyblade for feeling so "real".

Toward the end of Metal Fight, many toy companies were producing "combat" toy games. A disturbing trend quickly took over where these combat toys would have built-in self-destruct buttons. The game would then involve trying to hit the opponent's button - like in Rock'Em Sock'Em Robots. Off the top of my head, we had Combat Creatures, Hexbug, any of the spinning top clones (Ninjago? Max Steel?), as well as Tomy stuff like Battroborg. All the big sellers of the day were self-destructing combat toys. And it completely sucked.

Beyblade was real. No self-destruct. No silly stealth-battling "kill switches" and no bull (except of the Genbull variety). Beyblade totally missed the boat on "self-destruct" but came back a few years later with Burst. I am glad they waited for the saturation to wear off - those were dark days. Now I expect Burst will run much like the original plastics. It won't be super mega-popular like Metal Fight (with full-blown tournaments in every suburb of every city, in even the most sparsely populated countries) but it'll be popular enough that the WBO will thrive and peeps will be able to find peeps to play.

...I guess my point is that your video may be more historically accurate than contemporary.
(Feb. 12, 2017  12:48 AM)Ohm Wrote: hello "bladers" (I think that's what you are all called yes?),

When I was about eleven, and was still in elementary school, there was a fad going around called "beyblades". They were slick spinning tops that you would battle in an mini arena, and at the time I thought they were pretty cool, and kind of wanted one. sadly, I never got the chance to get one, as at the time my family was at a rough point money wise. lucky, the fad quickly faded away, and I never saw those little metal-plastic toys again...

Now about 5 years later I'm a junior in high school...

today i was surfing on youtube and was just watching random videos and eventualy this video came into the suggested video bar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cA86Jx2sjng&t=56s

Now at first I thought the video was a joke, but then watched the video and these chaps took this high tech beyblade device really seriously.

I then look at their channel and found they had 300000 subs, and was wowed. How could a channel about beyblades, some old toy, be popular nowadays?

then I delved deeper and found my way here.

so, what do you guys like about these tops and whatnot? what drives you to make an entire site for them and go to big old contests and such?

I'm just confused...

Sincerely,
Ohm

To some people, beyblading is a way of life, and most people, a game, both have fun during battles, while few just have fun laughing at the losing blader, Beyblade has been a long-lasting hobby of mine, so i never have stopped Blading.
Lol OHM, I see some resistance there XD. As for the Beyblades, they are just something that we like to collect and battle. It's kind-of like the figures and rc planes that people buy. There really isn't much of a point, other than the enjoyment of having them and playing/displaying them. As for Why I like Beyblades, IDK. I'm a bloody college kid lol, but I still like them for some reason. I guess it's just a hobby, and there happens to be a huge market for them. Smile Stick around! But don't buy one, you might just get addicted. Tongue_out
building combos, making them your own, winning, having all of the hardships in life fade away as you stare at them

It just is fun