Should we update 3v3 mode changes?

Question, (In my Dwight from The Office voice 😎), with the implementation of 3v3 in ranked should we look at updating the mode change rule for it specifically?

With other formats, especially single Bey, it gives a definitive advantage if a player has a dual spin layer or can change modes several times with the same match up. But with 3v3 there are so many variables and allowing unlimited changes can definitely increase the strategy and fun in that specific format. You could honestly use every Bey with all of its gimmicks and not have to worry about having a super advantage because your opponent can do the same.

Rules to only have 1 Beyblade combo capable of changing rotation in your 3v3 deck and/or changing rotation once per shuffle is fair I think. Allowing to change modes, whether from high or low, attack or defense limitless times is fair also I think. Because you are essentially having a new match with each Beyblade. Instead of using the traditional 1v1 where it could put an opponent at a big disadvantage. Just a thought. Please let me know if you agree or disagree.
(Jan. 23, 2022  1:27 AM)StayCool Wrote: Question, (In my Dwight from The Office voice 😎), with the implementation of 3v3 in ranked should we look at updating the mode change rule for it specifically?

With other formats, especially single Bey, it gives a definitive advantage if a player has a dual spin layer or can change modes several times with the same match up. But with 3v3 there are so many variables and allowing unlimited changes can definitely increase the strategy and fun in that specific format. You could honestly use every Bey with all of its gimmicks and not have to worry about having a super advantage because your opponent can do the same.

Rules to only have 1 Beyblade combo capable of changing rotation in your 3v3 deck and/or changing rotation once per shuffle is fair I think. Allowing to change modes, whether from high or low, attack or defense limitless times is fair also I think. Because you are essentially having a new match with each Beyblade. Instead of using the traditional 1v1 where it could put an opponent at a big disadvantage. Just a thought. Please let me know if you agree or disagree.

So from what I’m understanding you’re more or less suggesting that we transition the rules for WBBA over to the WBO 3v3 format? This seems like it would work out well in my opinion. I have been to several non WBO tournaments that have adapted and slightly modified the rules of the WBBA. Most of the core rules are there. They just either only allow 1 rotation switch period rather than 1 per deck shuffle. Or they have limited the drivers to not allowing multiple variants of the same driver.

I can say from being in those tournaments they felt a lot more fun and skillful rather than the normal WBO tournaments I have been to. Granted they have just started allowing the 3v3 and P3C1 formats for ranked events this month, and the tournament I was gonna host for the MD community had to be canceled due to snow. So I still want to play with them how they are and get a feel for them to see if I would like to see the WBBA rules being adapted to them.
(Jan. 23, 2022  1:27 AM)StayCool Wrote: Question, (In my Dwight from The Office voice 😎), with the implementation of 3v3 in ranked should we look at updating the mode change rule for it specifically?

I think this could be a good thing for the formats. The good thing about 3v3 unlike something like plain old first stage is you can’t just SPAMINA and hope that people with the same combo don’t have better launching tactics or people aren’t using KO attack. 
          In 3v3 the best that’ll give you is 1 point. Course you could just use 3 SPAMINA beys but usually there just isn’t enough parts. For example in DB there’s high Xtend+’ and bearing’. Nothing else works for SPAMINA. Rise is more a balance type than just a stamina driver. Mobius and drift have decent same spin but nowhere near any other options even if they are better controllable, never is Meh, and zone’+z just sacrifices stamina for defensive potential. 
          Aside from that though,  And even if there were 3 top tier stamina combos you could make the chance that someone has a top tier KO attacker or just any combo that would beat it is pretty high. There’s definitely people who would use that strategy but in my opinion it’s just about your 3 combos being versatile since you don’t know what to excpect. SPAMINA isn’t the only way to have a versatile combo. And making stuff like dual spin allowed for 1 bey only like WBBA would be beneficial because again all that does is score you 1 point but it also makes it interesting if you have 2 dual spin beys and you both have to choose the spin. Or maybe in something like limited where the only option being legend Spriggan, while it is still dual spin capable, it’s not exactly the best in anything and there’s better options for what it does but it could still work on the right setup. I think the multiple mode change thing like zetas modes, lifts frame modes, and the high mode low mode things is still allowed in 3v3 but correct me if I’m wrong. 
          But yeah this definitely seems like it could be great for the format!
(Jan. 23, 2022  2:13 AM)TheRogueBlader Wrote:

I think this could be a good thing for the formats. The good thing about 3v3 unlike something like plain old first stage is you can’t just SPAMINA and hope that people with the same combo don’t have better launching tactics or people aren’t using KO attack. 
          In 3v3 the best that’ll give you is 1 point. Course you could just use 3 SPAMINA beys but usually there just isn’t enough parts. For example in DB there’s high Xtend+’ and bearing’. Nothing else works for SPAMINA. Rise is more a balance type than just a stamina driver. Mobius and drift have decent same spin but nowhere near any other options even if they are better controllable, never is Meh, and zone’+z just sacrifices stamina for defensive potential. 
          Aside from that though,  And even if there were 3 top tier stamina combos you could make the chance that someone has a top tier KO attacker or just any combo that would beat it is pretty high. There’s definitely people who would use that strategy but in my opinion it’s just about your 3 combos being versatile since you don’t know what to excpect. SPAMINA isn’t the only way to have a versatile combo. And making stuff like dual spin allowed for 1 bey only like WBBA would be beneficial because again all that does is score you 1 point but it also makes it interesting if you have 2 dual spin beys and you both have to choose the spin. Or maybe in something like limited where the only option being legend Spriggan, while it is still dual spin capable, it’s not exactly the best in anything and there’s better options for what it does but it could still work on the right setup. I think the multiple mode change thing like zetas modes, lifts frame modes, and the high mode low mode things is still allowed in 3v3 but correct me if I’m wrong. 

You can still do unlimited mode changes that don’t require you to disassemble your bey, like the modes on zeta, Quattro, and Xt+. But if you have to disassemble the bey to change the mode like high and low mode, chassis rotation, then you are still only allowed to do it once with each bey. So once you switch it’s stuck in that mode.
(Jan. 23, 2022  2:43 AM)CrisisCrusher07 Wrote:
(Jan. 23, 2022  2:13 AM)TheRogueBlader Wrote:           I think this could be a good thing for the formats. The good thing about 3v3 unlike something like plain old first stage is you can’t just SPAMINA and hope that people with the same combo don’t have better launching tactics or people aren’t using KO attack. 

You can still do unlimited mode changes that don’t require you to disassemble your bey, like the modes on zeta, Quattro, and Xt+. But if you have to disassemble the bey to change the mode like high and low mode, chassis rotation, then you are still only allowed to do it once with each bey. So once you switch it’s stuck in that mode.
True but it’s only one round anyways. I guess if you have to re-shuffle than that would be the case but most of the time it’s just gonna be 1 round so it’s not like you have to be stuck in a mode for the entire battle like you would be in the first stage.
(Jan. 23, 2022  2:55 AM)TheRogueBlader Wrote:
(Jan. 23, 2022  2:43 AM)CrisisCrusher07 Wrote: You can still do unlimited mode changes that don’t require you to disassemble your bey, like the modes on zeta, Quattro, and Xt+. But if you have to disassemble the bey to change the mode like high and low mode, chassis rotation, then you are still only allowed to do it once with each bey. So once you switch it’s stuck in that mode.
True but it’s only one round anyways. I guess if you have to re-shuffle than that would be the case but most of the time it’s just gonna be 1 round so it’s not like you have to be stuck in a mode for the entire battle like you would be in the first stage.

You would be surprised as to how often you need to reshuffle. And with only 3 beys it’s a decent chance you might get stuck in a position where the bey you want to use first you have already changed the mode and then you’re stuck.
(Jan. 23, 2022  3:00 AM)CrisisCrusher07 Wrote:
(Jan. 23, 2022  2:55 AM)TheRogueBlader Wrote: True but it’s only one round anyways. I guess if you have to re-shuffle than that would be the case but most of the time it’s just gonna be 1 round so it’s not like you have to be stuck in a mode for the entire battle like you would be in the first stage.

You would be surprised as to how often you need to reshuffle. And with only 3 beys it’s a decent chance you might get stuck in a position where the bey you want to use first you have already changed the mode and then you’re stuck.
That’s also true. With needing 3 points to win and only 3 beys you’d usually re-shuffle. And I’d think you’d choose the bey with the best chance against your opponents 3 beys as your first pick.
Very true, Shindog pointed that out to me. Initially I thought 3v3 was single bey format 3 times but there is an incredible amount of strategy with it. Incorporating the mode changes and even rotational change adds a lot to strategy but the reshuffle is the kicker. You've seen your opponents line up and not its time to give yourself that 66%+ win rate chance in the order of your new shuffle. It's tough and gets you thinking and its so much fun! It just may lose a little of the fun luster if you're stuck with the modes because essentially with the reshuffle its kind of a new match, but you're just battling for that final point or points
I wonder how people feel about this:

1) Beyblade are rather expensive for what they are

2) the maker of these toys make the rules to fit the gimmicks, and gimmicks to fit the rules.  They, TT, have the power to do this.

So,
When we then make different rules to play this game in ways that require the elimination of some of the gimmicks/features, are we getting less for our money?  Because we cannot make use of all of the gimmicks/features.   

Just curious as to what people think.
(Jan. 23, 2022  6:18 AM)Shindog Wrote: I wonder how people feel about this:

2) the maker of these toys make the rules to fit the gimmicks, and gimmicks to fit the rules.  They, TT, have the power to do this.

So,
When we then make different rules to play this game in ways that require the elimination of some of the gimmicks/features, are we getting less for our money?  Because we cannot make use of all of the gimmicks/features.   

I have no right to talk about wether or not people can afford beys or not but because they are expensive the majority of people including myself can’t get every release. And I’m lucky that my parents let me buy a bey every 2 or so months because I’m sure a lot of people get less. Anyway, this is what makes it interesting also. If you have every single part, at least in my eyes, making specific combos would be easier. So for me working with what I have just feels good at the end of the day. 

Yeah TT does design the beys and make gimmicks with them and you could say that these gimmicks should be allowed, but on the other hand specific things such as dual spin on drift make a bey the textbook definition of overpowered which is why we took the dual spin ability away from spriggans and Diabolos’s. And some parts were designed so good that they needed to be banned. In 3v3 each match is only 1 round so including something like dual spin wouldn’t completely ruin the format, rather it would make things more interesting. So I think something like bearing, bearing’, and god forbid a high bearing’ or metal bearing in the future shouldn’t be allowed much like metal drift+ drift. But I think gimmicks should still be allowed because aside from specifically what the part is good at mode changes change performance and also make things more interesting

I kinda talked about this already but in a sense yes, but also no? It’s weird. Some gimmicks as mentioned before are so OP they need to be banned. Same can be said about parts. Does that mean, oh well Spriggan reqieum can’t be used in dual spin like in the anime matches so i lose approximately $5.44 dollars based on all the gimmicks and modes of Spriggan reqieum, no. No it doesn’t. You can always play unranked and disregard specific rules and of course you can also blade solo on your own time. And for those who play competetive a lot and don’t really play casual at all specific parts are useless. For example cyclone might be useless and a waste of $100+ dollars on random booster parts most of which have already been released. But in my eyes even if a part sucks there’s always something niche for it to be used for. So in my opinion money is never wasted when it comes to beys because you can still use the gimmicks and blade with them.
(Jan. 23, 2022  6:44 AM)TheRogueBlader Wrote:
(Jan. 23, 2022  6:18 AM)Shindog Wrote: I wonder how people feel about this:

So,

I have no right to talk about wether or not people can afford beys or not but because they are expensive the majority of people including myself can’t get every release which is what makes it interesting also. If you have every single part, at least in my eyes, making specific things would be much easier. So for me working with what I have just feels good at the end of the day. 

Yeah TT does design the beys and make gimmicks with them and you could say that these gimmicks should be allowed, but on the other hand specific things such as dual spin on drift make a bey the textbook definition of overpowered which is why we took the dual spin ability away from spriggans and Diabolos’s. And some parts were designed so good that they needed to be banned. In 3v3 each match is only 1 round so including something like dual spin wouldn’t completely ruin the format, rather it would make things more interesting. So I think something like bearing, bearing’, and god forbid a high bearing’ or metal bearing in the future shouldn’t be allowed much like metal drift+ drift. But I think gimmicks should still be allowed because aside from specifically what the part is good at mode changes change performance and also make things more interesting

I kinda talked about this already but in a sense yes, but also no? It’s weird. Some gimmicks as mentioned before are so OP they need to be banned. Same can be said about parts. Does that mean, oh well Spriggan reqieum can’t be used in dual spin like in the anime matches so i lose approximately $5.44 dollars based on all the gimmicks and modes of Spriggan reqieum, no. No it doesn’t. You can always play unranked and disregard specific rules and of course you can also blade solo on your own time. And for those who play competetive a lot and don’t really play casual at all specific parts are useless. For example cyclone might be useless and a waste of $100+ dollars on random booster parts most of which have already been released. But in my eyes even if a part sucks there’s always something niche for it to be used for. So in my opinion money is never wasted when it comes to beys because you can still use the gimmicks and blade with them.

TT/WBBA have allowed spin direction change, variant drivers such as Br/Br’ and Dr/MDr, and other mode changes that are not allowed in the WBO (for example removing frames and driver attachments such as +Z) using their set of rules.  Their tournaments seem highly competitive and fun to play as well.  Seems to work for them just fine.

I don’t feel like their game is ruined by over powered parts/gimmicks.  Also, the WBBA simply runs many more and much bigger events than the WBO.  They just have many many more active players. This doesn’t make them better, but they have quite the sample size to study at least?  If they seem to have fun playing beyblade… it can’t be that bad right?  Actually, if players were having no fun playing beyblade in the WBBA regions with WBBA rules… would we even have beyblades to import?

Getting back to the topic of the thread, When we say something like Sr or World is too OP if we allow it to change spin directions…. Seems to me like this is because the WBO rules that we played made it so?  Are the parts “OP” or did the WBO rules/formats made them OP?
At the risk of overcomplicating things more than they already are, I'd argue that disassembly mode changes can be split into three different categories. 

Minor changes (flipping or removing a frame, rotating a disk {like Convert}, or changing the mode on certain drivers {Quattro, while intended to be changeable while assembled, usually needs to be removed in order to do so}) 
Moderate changes (switching between high and low mode, rotating a chassis), 
and Major changes (changing the spin direction of a layer or combo, removing gear {S-gear, F-gear}, changing Union Achilles/Infinite Achilles' modes)

I based these on how drastically they change the performance of a bey, with a change of rotation ranking the highest and changes regarding frames ranking the lowest.
Overall I just think it’s fun and creative. No worries if it’s not looked into, I’m grateful for 3v3 in any case. The mode changes just add more skill to the matches, and a bit more creativity. I don’t think the mode or rotation changes will make anything OP. Actually it’ll do the reverse in this format, but you’ll have to know which mode to utilize and when. I won’t beat that dead horse though. I’m cool with whatever. Thank y’all for the input 😎💯
(Jan. 23, 2022  6:49 AM)Shindog Wrote:
(Jan. 23, 2022  6:44 AM)TheRogueBlader Wrote: I have no right to talk about wether or not people can afford beys or not but because they are expensive the majority of people including myself can’t get every release which is what makes it interesting also. If you have every single part, at least in my eyes, making specific things would be much easier. So for me working with what I have just feels good at the end of the day. 

TT/WBBA have allowed spin direction change, variant drivers such as Br/Br’ and Dr/MDr, and other mode changes that are not allowed in the WBO (for example removing frames and driver attachments such as +Z) using their set of rules.  Their tournaments seem highly competitive and fun to play as well.  Seems to work for them just fine.

I don’t feel like their game is ruined by over powered parts/gimmicks.  Also, the WBBA simply runs many more and much bigger events than the WBO.  They just have many many more active players. This doesn’t make them better, but they have quite the sample size to study at least?  If they seem to have fun playing beyblade… it can’t be that bad right?  Actually, if players were having no fun playing beyblade in the WBBA regions with WBBA rules… would we even have beyblades to import?

Getting back to the topic of the thread, When we say something like Sr or World is too OP if we allow it to change spin directions…. Seems to me like this is because the WBO rules that we played made it so?  Are the parts “OP” or did the WBO rules/formats made them OP?
I agree with everything you said, but when you said did the WBO rules/format made them OP, what do you mean by that?
(Jan. 23, 2022  3:58 PM)TheRogueBlader Wrote:
(Jan. 23, 2022  6:49 AM)Shindog Wrote: Getting back to the topic of the thread, When we say something like Sr or World is too OP if we allow it to change spin directions…. Seems to me like this is because the WBO rules that we played made it so?  Are the parts “OP” or did the WBO rules/formats made them OP?
I agree with everything you said, but when you said did the WBO rules/format made them OP, what do you mean by that?

I think what Shindog is saying is that in WBBA rotation changing and mode changing doesn’t seem to be over powered for their basic rule set. So that must mean that the rules that the WBO has in place currently is what give the illusion of Rotation and mode changes to be overpowered.

Like say we still only had single bey format, yet you could utilize the mode changes like they do in WBBA. Everyone would just be using a spin rotation changing combo, that way then you could manipulate the battle into your favor.

I think the biggest thing is that when burst first started all the way from Single to the Dual Layers, there wasn’t many of at all mode changing abilities. And so a lot of the rule sets that were in place for Metal Fight could be transitioned into the gameplay for Burst. Then when the God layers came out they started introducing some layer and driver mode changes. And that continued into some Cho-Z beys. So this prompted the WBO to find a balance for some of these parts for its traditional single bey format. Then with the GT and Sparking systems there started to be more mode changing abilities, but nothing really to drastic from what God and Cho-Z already had. Now we have gotten into the Dynamite Battle System. Well now EVERY Bey has some form of mode change with the ability to go into High and Low mode with the exception of Greatest Raphael. So now the whole dynamic of the game has changed and maybe it really is time the rule book as a whole gets an overhaul?
I like that the WBO doesn’t follow everything the WBBA does. I like that the WBO has its own rulebooks. I think minor tweaks to the WBBA rules can make the game even better. However, I think the tweaks are best when they are minor and few. It’s just more practical that way.

The reason for this is that the WBO can only make reactive rules and changes. The WBBA is the maker of the game and they can make planned and proactive rule changes. The WBO will always be playing catch up and piggybacking WBBA rules at some level anyway. The WBO is run by a group of volunteers who may or may not be able to get their hands on new releases quickly to react quickly. These volunteers already have to manage many formats that do not exist in the WBBA/BBA universe. The WBO is essentially making up “House Rules” for play. This isn’t bad, but as the game gets longer in the tooth, it is predictable to find that the “House Rules” start to feel out of place.
I think this is something that would be interesting to see in practice once 3v3 has been played a bit more and we can see what that looks like. Perhaps after a couple of events in some major areas it would be cool to see it tried and see what it does - it adds a lot to the game so it's something I guess I would want to see trialled quite a bit.

I don't have the breadth of knowledge of Limited to know how it might impact there, but I do have a concern for GT - it would allow Master and Lord to overshadow the great range of single-spin layers (eg Tact, Cosmo, pP/rP, Heaven, Naked, Burn Phoenix, Archer Hercules), more than I'm comfortable with. I think 3on3 is an amazing format for GT, I'm not sure I want to see these already very-good-but-not-broken layers given more of a hand, it would certainly crush out a lot of variety... Of course, GT doesn't exist yet, but there is enough community interest that it might be worth considering, as unfortunate as it is.

Oddly enough for my perspective, I wouldn't care if you were allowed to run a dual spin layer twice, once in either direction, in a deck. That at least allows some use of the gimmick - just with a noticeable downside... I do realise that is an unrealistic proposal though.