Restricted Format

The way I see it is that pretty much every useful part is going to start getting banned one by one.

How about, instead of banning, have it restricted? e.g. allowed to use it only once (possibly implemented with a "ticket" system), or with certain combination of parts (banning Circle Upper with grip, but allowing circle upper with, say, metal semiflat) and so on. Of course, this will make administration somewhat more complicated, but interesting.
(Aug. 21, 2008  10:36 AM)Nic Wrote: The way I see it is that pretty much every useful part is going to start getting banned one by one.

This.

Eitherways, the same kind of attack combos with lesser used parts will still beat endurance combos with lesser used parts, etc.
If stuff like Metal Flat Core, Jiraiya Blade, Slash Upper stays right now, then endurancers are carp. If they get removed, attackers with become a lot crappier and endurance gets a boost, etc.
It also doesn't help that HMS doesn't have that many different good parts to work with in the first place.

I dunno, maybe just allow stuff from a certain Tier and anything above it would be banned for that specific tournament, or even have several for different tiers.
What if certain parts were banned in subsequent matches?

Like, in the very first round of matches (such as the prelims), anyone could use any part, but in later matches (once you got closer to quarterfinal and/or semifinal), parts became restricted.

That way, someone wouldn't be able to win a Final Match with a cookie-cutter combo.
i think that this list is just fine..think of it this way, if there was an event where a stadium besides regular tornado attack is used instead of tornado balance, attackers wouldnt completely dominate the arena if the have the simple cookie-cutter combo like:

BP: Samurai Emblem or even a 3rd Mold
AR: Samurai Upper
WD: Circle Wide
RC: Grip Flat Core(rarely GFCUM)

that gets boring because it takes the excitement from the game seeing the same blades over and over instead of all different combos to make new strategies and win in new ways..the way i see it, it looks to me like if there was an MFB tourney and lets say there are only 3 blades available at the time, Leo,Chiron,and Pegasus and 90% of the bladers chose to all get and use pegasus while the other while the other 10 chose to use either leo or chiron and pegasus uncustomized was known to be best combo you could do at the time..it would be boring because you would see everyone using the same blade and rare uses of leo and chiron...wouldnt u wanna see more variety like making combos even if they arent too favored to win but there is a chance with a different strategy?...every blade can be beaten at one time or another and im sure most people wouldnt want to keep going up against the same blade the battled before in the previous rounds..this may seem like a dumb example to some but some may get my drift..eliminating these what i like to call "Super Staples", they will make battles more strategic and it will force people to think instead of just going with what they know others will use bcuz it is good..this is my contribution
(Aug. 21, 2008  5:34 PM)Bluezee Wrote: i think that this list is just fine..think of it this way, if there was an event where a stadium besides regular tornado attack is used instead of tornado balance, attackers wouldnt completely dominate the arena if the have the simple cookie-cutter combo like:

BP: Samurai Emblem or even a 3rd Mold
AR: Samurai Upper
WD: Circle Wide
RC: Grip Flat Core(rarely GFCUM)

that gets boring because it takes the excitement from the game seeing the same blades over and over instead of all different combos to make new strategies and win in new ways..the way i see it, it looks to me like if there was an MFB tourney and lets say there are only 3 blades available at the time, Leo,Chiron,and Pegasus and 90% of the bladers chose to all get and use pegasus while the other while the other 10 chose to use either leo or chiron and pegasus uncustomized was known to be best combo you could do at the time..it would be boring because you would see everyone using the same blade and rare uses of leo and chiron...wouldnt u wanna see more variety like making combos even if they arent too favored to win but there is a chance with a different strategy?...every blade can be beaten at one time or another and im sure most people wouldnt want to keep going up against the same blade the battled before in the previous rounds..this may seem like a dumb example to some but some may get my drift..eliminating these what i like to call "Super Staples", they will make battles more strategic and it will force people to think instead of just going with what they know others will use bcuz it is good..this is my contribution

No, there won't be any new strategies and new ways to win. It'll be the same, except with different parts which do the same job, just not as good.
If there is a restricted format, people will just move on to the next best possible combos, which has nothing to do with making battles more strategic and I wouldn't really call this "forcing people to think". And people do go with what they think others will use, or better, they take counters to what they expect to face.

Also, about every blade being beaten one time or another, of course with the right type X combo I'll most likely beat Y combo, which doesn't mean Y combo sucks just that it lost vs its 100% counter. Just like most good survival combos will beat defensers almost everytime. Usually if that doesn't happen, it was probably a fluke, but general rule, X type will dominate Y type in the right conditions.
Lets do this pokemon style.

Ban T1. Less complaining, less mess, more reasonable, it's seen as a blanket ban.

KoD suggested this, I'll second it.
I predicted a lot of the concerns raised in this topic so I'll do my best to address them.

Firstly, this is just an alternative format and is not going to be applied broadly to all IBA events. It is simply an alternative to Standard format.

(Aug. 21, 2008  4:06 AM)Train Wrote: I can understand the sense with what you're trying to do, but won't Bearing Core 2 be like way too powerful in Tornado Balance since the survival is now the best and attack won't really work against it because of how it grips AND survives? Like I don't know this for SURE, but I'm pretty sure this is the case.

Bearing Core 2's Stamina isn't very great, and it can be beaten using Metal Sharp Core, Metal Change Core, and some others.

(Aug. 21, 2008  10:53 AM)King of Darkness Wrote:
(Aug. 21, 2008  10:36 AM)Nic Wrote: The way I see it is that pretty much every useful part is going to start getting banned one by one.

This.

Eitherways, the same kind of attack combos with lesser used parts will still beat endurance combos with lesser used parts, etc.
If stuff like Metal Flat Core, Jiraiya Blade, Slash Upper stays right now, then endurancers are carp. If they get removed, attackers with become a lot crappier and endurance gets a boost, etc.
It also doesn't help that HMS doesn't have that many different good parts to work with in the first place.

I dunno, maybe just allow stuff from a certain Tier and anything above it would be banned for that specific tournament, or even have several for different tiers.

The point is that instead of one good part, there will be a multitude of options. For example, Attack-types ... take away Circle Upper and Samurai Upper, and suddenly Upper Dragoon, Metal Upper, Fox Upper, Jiraiya Blade, Advance Attacker, Slash Upper all become viable options for Attack-types, and the strength-differentials between these parts are much smaller than say, Samurai Upper Vs. Slash Upper.

Banning GFC and GFCUM from TBTS opens up Metal Flat Core, Flat Core, MW Flat Core, MW Grip Flat Core, and even Metal Change Core as viable Attack-type options.

There are always going to be type advantages and disadvantages and Restricted isn't aiming to remove that aspect of the game, but rather to open up new avenues instead of the Bearing Core variants and Samurai/Circle Upper + Grip tips we're so used to seeing.
Interesting idea. Now parts that people don't evn use will show some play in the game! Even though it's new, we should try it out in some practice tournaments to see how it does!
I think the only way Bearing Core 2 should be banned in TBTS is if you ban MW Grip Flat Core. With it it is still not that hard to knock it out. And even still I'm pretty sure lots of people could do it with Metal Flat Core.

I do see the point about bladers using the next best thing. However, I think the next best thing, lets say, in terms of survival might not be as hard to knock out. Lets remember that in Tornado Balance, the grip flat cores are not banned.

What I foresee with a restriction list is that players will have to rely more heavily on launching skill.

These are just ideas that are popping into my head right now. I'll think it over a bit more.
If this question is dumb, sorry.
Are there going to be restrictions on plastic blades in the future if this goes ahead?
(Aug. 22, 2008  9:05 PM)ChozenBlader Wrote: If this question is dumb, sorry.
Are there going to be restrictions on plastic blades in the future if this goes ahead?

Yes.
Honestly Im glad to see those parts banned in some stadiums.
I've had combos like this:

AR:Circle Upper
WD:Circle Wide
RC:Grip Flat core

get beaten 9/10 times by this:

AR:Advance Attacker
WD:CWD Circle Attacker
RC:Metal Semi-Flat Core

something that no one would expect in more then one stadium, so I don't think it will be difficult to find combos if certain parts are banned for certain stadiums.
Which stadium was it in? How did it lose? This is important.
(Aug. 21, 2008  4:44 PM)Grey Wrote: What if certain parts were banned in subsequent matches?

Like, in the very first round of matches (such as the prelims), anyone could use any part, but in later matches (once you got closer to quarterfinal and/or semifinal), parts became restricted.

That way, someone wouldn't be able to win a Final Match with a cookie-cutter combo.

I like this idea Joyful_3
Man provided its not manditory, then sure.
But to keep things simple and sweet stick to only banning cores, easier to enforce and has the greatest deciding factor imo.
Don't ban GFc UM because that one is hard to use properly.

STILL I would really like to see a Stock class, where lets say, only, stock single combination bey is used.
this puts emphasis on launch skill pretty much only. stadium could change.

Mind you there will be minute differences everyones beyblade, but in stead of three rounds, I think first to five wins or best of five be better to determine.
A best of 5 would be best IMO. First to 5 would take too long, simply because if the blades are very evenly matched, they could draw a lot and it'd take a LONGGG time for somebody to win. With best of, it is actually limited to 5 battles.
(Aug. 23, 2008  10:06 AM)Blue Wrote: Man provided its not manditory, then sure.
But to keep things simple and sweet stick to only banning cores, easier to enforce and has the greatest deciding factor imo.

STILL I would really like to see a Stock class, where lets say, only, stock single combination bey is used.

Mind you there will be minute differences everyones beyblade, but in stead of three rounds, I think first to five wins or best of five be better to determine.

Everyone would use like Driger S, Bistool, Galeon.
(Aug. 23, 2008  10:06 AM)Blue Wrote: Man provided its not manditory, then sure.

Everyone would use just use Driger S, Bistool, or Galeon
Those blades can be beaten though.
(Aug. 23, 2008  6:18 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: Which stadium was it in? How did it lose? This is important.

Mobile Stadium 9/10
Dragoon Hurricane 9/10
Tornado Balance 7/10
HMS Stadium(the Takara one) 7/10

In all matches the second beyblade was launched 1st. Usually it was knock out or pockected depending on the Stadium. It won in HMS stadium by out spin once.
I think stock battle is a pretty awful idea ... there are only a few Beyblades that are good as stock, the rest are good for parts. As Cye said, Bistool, Galeon, Driger S, stuff like that would dominate.

There are very few good stock Attack-types.
Sorry. I didn't make it clear enought. Mybad.

I mean ONLY one bey is used by everyone. I.e. everyone can ONLY use DEMS. Thus launching becomes biggest deciding factor. In addition to the best of 5 so that there isn't flukes.

Also I wasn't even thinking of plastic beyblades fyi.
That could be pretty interesting, but pretty boring as well.
yea I know. still amongst good players I think it would be pretty intense lol
its a hxc rule imo.

brad did you see what I said about the cores only? also Im thinking it should be a blanket rule, not stadium dependant.
mainly because its easy to understand and enforce.
(Aug. 23, 2008  11:07 PM)Blue Wrote: brad did you see what I said about the cores only? also Im thinking it should be a blanket rule, not stadium dependant.
mainly because its easy to understand and enforce.

I don't think this setup is complicated at all. The Bey Stadium changes the way the game plays significantly ...

I understand that you guys are trying to simplify this, but using blanket restrictions and terms turns the concept into a pointless novelty.
I really really like this restricted format idea. But it's only cool if you still do both, unlimited AND restricted tournaments. Or is the plan to ban these parts completely?