[Report] 8/18/12 Grand Rapids MI, Summer's Last Blast

I started planning this event at the prior event in July. I've been having trouble getting confirmed bladers before an event is official (nobody talks on here) So when the Midsummer's Scorcher ended up I asked about who would be able to come to the next one. I was actually planning on doing this one at a park on Lake MI by request of ONE parent, and it's actually closer for me too. Within the next couple of days I got a request if it's by the lake that it be on Sunday, then I got request to do the event on Saturday by a few others. So this included about 6 of our regular bladers, I decided to scrap the event on the lake idea.

With the 8 of us (Phantom W my son, and I included) I put out the proposal to do it again at our normal spot at Millennium Park. We just finished up a great tournament with over around 15 first time tournament goers. I was expecting a fair amount of these kids to come again seeing when I asked them and their parents they said they would. I didn't get any contact from any of them. I was able to talk to a few new WBO members on the Michigan Tournament thread. One is 16, and the other an adult, Both did end up coming which was great. I did get contact from a few bladers on the other side of the state I didn't expect to be willing to come. Then we got the idea of getting them to carpool and bring a few others along without rides. It was working. I got some more contact from a family that attended our beydays event they were from Northern Indiana. The event which looked to be for awhile at best a full round robin gained so much momentum, We got bladers from as far away as Cleveland (a 5+ hour drive) to come. We had 27 confirmed going into the event.

With this total and expecting a few more walk ups as we set up the event I immediately was planning on double elimination even though I would of course much rather have a Block Round Robin. Oh we also last minute on Friday night decided with this turnout and expecting people from Detroit, Ohio, Fort Wayne IN, and Chicago, that we'd grill hotdogs. We brought my normal setup plus a couple boards i made to hold the stadiums that I haven't brought to a tournament yet. They're two boards about 2'x4' that hold 2 stadiums each. I brought my normal rugs as well. With DaWRETCHED coming I wasn't sure how many stadiums we'd end up using, at Beydays we started the opening rounds with 8 stadiums going. But we didn't use any of his after all we used all four of mine though. With having DaWRETCHED-one, PANAsher, Yuko Ray14, Madoka's Spirit among many other regular bladers I trust I knew we were safe on the amount of judges needed that's where using many stadiums is easy, got to have the judges but with all the regular tournament goes it's no problem.

I did sell some items, I also had some items reserved for people to sell. Got that done with entering everybody in to challonge.com and completing my tournament log using Google Docs which I use to keep track of the passport holders, who paid for entry fee, and who bought a passport. While doing all this I did fail to realize (until I sent in the results to Kai-V) that with 4 people not showing and absolutely no "walk ups" we would have been able to do Block Round Robin after all. But with 23 bladers we did a great double elimination tournament.

Right of the back though we did have one issue. Note: with challonge you can input the scores as 2-3 but you still have to input the winner as well. somehow it had the loser moving on. He ended up battling in the winners bracket, LUCKILY when we went to the losers bracket the winner of that match noticed right away when I told him he was in the losers bracket. We were able to fix that mix up with only one match happening that wasn't supposed to. So we were able to fix that problem to and put the match up that was supposed to take place. After that everything went smoothly with a lot of upsets. Everybody did have a good time, and with it being Double elimination it took under 2 hours for the whole event to complete.

All sounds well.

It is weird that Challonge asks you to basically confirm twice the victor : actually, I have no idea why they even ask for the points. Who cares that it is 1-3, 2-3 or 0-3 ?

Has anybody else gotten this problem ? Are there better alternatives than Challonge ?
As a new user to Challonge. I have noticed that it does indeed ask for match results ie. 3-2 etc. TBH I like that idea, it gives a good idea on how the match ups went. Do I think that in the long run it makes a difference? No I don't. It's just a preferrence. I haven't used any other tournament generator but I did find this one very easy to navagate. It sounds like coach had to retrace previous steps and he was able to do that without any problems. I'd support any other program but from the above post. It doesn't sound like it's broke so why fix it?? Just my 2 cents worth and now i'm intellectually broke so....bye?