Reasons why you’re not hosting?

Once again thank you all so much. Garishi I fully understand and agree with the prices of the standard stadium being a hassle. It’s one reason I wanted to transition to the B-183 stadium. I know it’s “different” but it’s what the WBBA uses now and it’s a lot cheaper opposed to the discontinued standard stadium that’s around $80 per stadium.

DJCAT8608 congratulations and I wish you well on your quiz. Just like the quiz, when you host an event remember to use the guides. Every organizer I know still refers back to them for help. Hopefully as you build your community others can help you as well. There’s always strength in numbers.

DeltaZakuro , thank you so much for sharing. I’ll be honest with you I suffer from social anxiety in a major way. Tournaments were tough when I started off but I eased into it. I have a podcast me and CrisisCrusher07 started and we will speak on some of this. I appreciate you opening up. A big thing though is a lot of us in the anime/gamer world suffer from these mental health issues or social setbacks but that’s what make these events fun. It’s a place we can all come together and not be judged. We’re just here to play and have fun 😎. Once again I appreciate your courage for speaking up
I am not hosting right now because of winter, but when it gets warmer I am hoping to host monthly.
so im a little late lmao, but i'm too busy and lazy tbh. I'm in the process or growing outta beyblade, and It's just not worth the hassle to me. Like, I give up a saturday where i could be hanging with friends or studying. i spend weeks planning, getting prizes, memorizing the rules, buying a standard stadium or two, getting judges, etc. I then get to the venue like super early, and have to stay there real late. and even worse, i'm a minor. i can't drive. so i bother my parents who are taking care or 2 other children to drive me there, and do nothing for like 6 hrs. Oh, and I have no people skills. even organizing a tournament for fun with like 4 of my friends stresses me out. I'd rather not try to keep a bunch of kids my age happy. all for a childrens game that i only half care about, when there are so much productive things i could be doing. I have absolutely NO idea how yall organizers do it. It's too much work to keep people happy. but please keep doing it i love going to tournaments lol
I did not pass the quiz cause the guide won't give me a clear answer and I don't know which questions I got wrong, so if I don't know which questions I got wrong how am I supposed to know the ones to use a different answer for next time. Thats the flaw with the system
(Mar. 30, 2022  12:57 PM)DJCAT8608 Wrote: I did not pass the quiz cause the guide won't give me a clear answer and I don't know which questions I got wrong, so if I don't know which questions I got wrong how am I supposed to know the ones to use a different answer for next time. Thats the flaw with the system

It is testing you if you’re really ready to become an Organizer. You’ve gotta know all the rules and if the staff told you what you got wrong that would make it too easy. Look closely and take note.
thing is while doing the test/quiz I kept reading over the guide and some of the questions don't have a clear answer too, if I can't find a clear answer to the question then I can't answer it... simple as that
The reason I don't want to host just yet, despite the fact that Im now 14, is because I live in Nevada. Nevada is not that popular to bladers, and the only largely populated places here is Reno, Carson City, or Las Vegas. Plus, I live in Reno, and I totally know that even if theres a tournament in Las Vegas, I won't be going because my family went there once by car, and it took us about 12 hours, including rest stops.

And, there comes the problem with finding people. Most people don't even know about TT, and they have spent their childhood lives playing with Hasbro beyblades, some of them by themself's, and never got the urge to reach out, and find other Hasbro bladers, like I tried, and discovered the WBO. (plus about kids who found fake beyblades too, which using them in official tournaments- heck even using fakes gets you into some deep trouble, health-wise, and ilegally-wise too)

Then for the last problem, comes with actually doing the quiz. Maybe, when I go to high school and find people, Ill try my best to make an effort for a beyblade club and make myself an Organizer.
My father wants me to make a beyblade club in my high school and I feel like that might be a good way to start so I can teach others about TT and about beyblade and my dad even wants to host an event and we can use the club to grow the community where Im at
It is starting to sound like the biggest reason why most people on the WBO are not becoming organizers or hosting is age. A lot of the general players, not even so much as the competitive players, are aged between 10-15 and that severely limits them to what they are able to actually do as far as hosting.
(Mar. 30, 2022  6:04 PM)CrisisCrusher07 Wrote: It is starting to sound like the biggest reason why most people on the WBO are not becoming organizers or hosting is age. A lot of the general players, not even so much as the competitive players, are aged between 10-15 and that severely limits them to what they are able to actually do as far as hosting.

I’ve seen the issue as being the quiz and lack (or fear of lack) of the local community. In regards to the quiz, it will take time and effort. I’d honestly reach out to other organizers and if they’re willing, talk about how they host and various understanding of rules. This could help instead of trying to figure it all out on your own.

In regards to a local community, my view is from our stores standpoint. I have members that buy from states where tournaments aren’t happening. They may just be buying to collect but they may also be interested in competition. There are members in Nevada, Puerto Rico, Ohio, Chicago and several other areas were tournaments aren’t hosted but people play. Sometimes or most times things start small and grow. 

Speaking to a friend from Florida their first tournament started with around 8 people or even less I think. But in time they grew once the word got out. I mean look at Florida now, they’re one of the most active communities. The same goes for my local area. All in all it’s tough to start and the first couple of tournaments may be discouraging but usually friends will tell a friend or someone will see you playing in a park, they’ll ask questions and then boom, you’ve got another member and in time your community will spread. Consistency is just key most times
(Mar. 30, 2022  8:56 PM)StayCool Wrote:
(Mar. 30, 2022  6:04 PM)CrisisCrusher07 Wrote: It is starting to sound like the biggest reason why most people on the WBO are not becoming organizers or hosting is age. A lot of the general players, not even so much as the competitive players, are aged between 10-15 and that severely limits them to what they are able to actually do as far as hosting.

I’ve seen the issue as being the quiz and lack (or fear of lack) of the local community. In regards to the quiz, it will take time and effort. I’d honestly reach out to other organizers and if they’re willing, talk about how they host and various understanding of rules. This could help instead of trying to figure it all out on your own.

In regards to a local community, my view is from our stores standpoint. I have members that buy from states where tournaments aren’t happening. They may just be buying to collect but they may also be interested in competition. There are members in Nevada, Puerto Rico, Ohio, Chicago and several other areas were tournaments aren’t hosted but people play. Sometimes or most times things start small and grow. 

Speaking to a friend from Florida their first tournament started with around 8 people or even less I think. But in time they grew once the word got out. I mean look at Florida now, they’re one of the most active communities. The same goes for my local area. All in all it’s tough to start and the first couple of tournaments may be discouraging but usually friends will tell a friend or someone will see you playing in a park, they’ll ask questions and then boom, you’ve got another member and in time your community will spread. Consistency is just key most times
Well honestly that is the biggest thing. You need to be determined and keep hosting even if no one shows up. Eventually enough people will start to show. It could take doing it once a month for a whole year but you might finally get 20 or more people at your tournament.
(Mar. 30, 2022  10:11 PM)CrisisCrusher07 Wrote: Well honestly that is the biggest thing. You need to be determined and keep hosting even if no one shows up. Eventually enough people will start to show. It could take doing it once a month for a whole year but you might finally get 20 or more people at your tournament.

Still, it is understandably demoralizing. Long ago, the Maryland/Virginia region had a dry spell where they just could not muster the 8 person minimum for a WBO tournament, back before club format was a thing. This is back when tournaments cost money to participate and prizes were reimbursed for organizers directly, albeit slowly.

Now, in our current "without fees" status, the region is doing extremely well as far as interested playerbase goes. Not only does it have a glut of players, but also even a glut of organizers and judges. And yet years ago this was not the case, to the point where it caused a lot of friction and problems. The community has to be grown over the years in any region. You and I and so many others who took to Beyblade recently in the past few years, we're lucky. We're here and able to do this because of all the hard work and tournaments that came before. And I for one am very thankful to all those organizers.
(Mar. 30, 2022  11:32 PM)DeceasedCrab Wrote:
(Mar. 30, 2022  10:11 PM)CrisisCrusher07 Wrote: Well honestly that is the biggest thing. You need to be determined and keep hosting even if no one shows up. Eventually enough people will start to show. It could take doing it once a month for a whole year but you might finally get 20 or more people at your tournament.

Still, it is understandably demoralizing. Long ago, the Maryland/Virginia region had a dry spell where they just could not muster the 8 person minimum for a WBO tournament, back before club format was a thing. This is back when tournaments cost money to participate and prizes were reimbursed for organizers directly, albeit slowly.

Now, in our current "without fees" status, the region is doing extremely well as far as interested playerbase goes. Not only does it have a glut of players, but also even a glut of organizers and judges. And yet years ago this was not the case, to the point where it caused a lot of friction and problems. The community has to be grown over the years in any region. You and I and so many others who took to Beyblade recently in the past few years, we're lucky. We're here and able to do this because of all the hard work and tournaments that came before. And I for one am very thankful to all those organizers.

Very well said 🙏🏾
Club format is used very sparingly. Whenever people tell me “oh that is what club format is for!” I wonder how out of touch they are with the amount of usage of club format actually gets. Here is my thread related question:

Would people be more interested in hosting if even club format could be ranked and generate some Bey points? Or rather, are the bey points or lack there of a reason why people seem to be unwilling to start small? Just curious.
(Mar. 30, 2022  10:11 PM)CrisisCrusher07 Wrote:
(Mar. 30, 2022  8:56 PM)StayCool Wrote: I’ve seen the issue as being the quiz and lack (or fear of lack) of the local community. In regards to the quiz, it will take time and effort. I’d honestly reach out to other organizers and if they’re willing, talk about how they host and various understanding of rules. This could help instead of trying to figure it all out on your own.

Well honestly that is the biggest thing. You need to be determined and keep hosting even if no one shows up. Eventually enough people will start to show. It could take doing it once a month for a whole year but you might finally get 20 or more people at your tournament.

I agree it takes consistency. To anyone worried about starting small: I began also hosting in Oregon bc no one was hosting there and i saw a few people in the area wanted to play. Its a 3 hour drive for me so I can only host there once in a while. Our first event was 9 people and that was with me messaging everyone the day before to bring any friends and family. Our second event will be this weekend and we currently have 22 players signed up. I think the first tournament is the hardest but after that it gets much easier; to host and grow a community.
(Mar. 31, 2022  12:11 AM)Shindog Wrote: Club format is used very sparingly.  Whenever people tell me “oh that is what club format is for!”   I wonder how out of touch they are with the amount of usage of club format actually gets. Here is my thread related question:

Would people be more interested in hosting if even club format could be ranked and generate some Bey points?  Or rather, are the bey points or lack there of a reason why people seem to be unwilling to start small?  Just curious.

I may not be the best one to answer this because I have not done a club event. But I don't think it would need to be adjusted to rank. From what I have seen a lot of new players don't care too much about rank. They tend to start caring once they get more involved into the game. Those initial experiences are just the joy of playing. This is just my experience though. I think the awareness is the issue, because I am sure that many players or members of the community may not even know what club format is.
(Mar. 31, 2022  1:59 AM)StayCool Wrote:
(Mar. 31, 2022  12:11 AM)Shindog Wrote: Club format is used very sparingly.  Whenever people tell me “oh that is what club format is for!”   I wonder how out of touch they are with the amount of usage of club format actually gets. Here is my thread related question:

Would people be more interested in hosting if even club format could be ranked and generate some Bey points?  Or rather, are the bey points or lack there of a reason why people seem to be unwilling to start small?  Just curious.

I may not be the best one to answer this because I have not done a club event. But I don't think it would need to be adjusted to rank. From what I have seen a lot of new players don't care too much about rank. They tend to start caring once they get more involved into the game. Those initial experiences are just the joy of playing. This is just my experience though. I think the awareness is the issue, because I am sure that many players or members of the community may not even know what club format is.
That’s a good point.  I wonder how many people know what the minimum # of players needed is for a WBO event.
To be completely honest Shindog there is a lot of information that many members don't know. Within this thread there was a member who was unaware that they could even become an organizer, let alone how to do so (no shame to them). I am sure there are several others. I think there should be a method or plan to spread that knowledge somehow. I know organizing and hosting events help and at every tournament I host I give that speech to players and parents to spread the word about competitive beyblade and tournaments because the community truly expands from efforts within itself. Its a tough task but hopefully it'll work out.
There isn't much incentive to host tournaments as a Wbo-organiser. Our local bey forum already runs monthly tournaments and most people on that forum aren't that interested in the wbo. Then there's tournaments I help them run once or twice a year at conventions or similar events and there most people sign up in person, making wbo accounts for everyone that signs up is just extra work in an already hectic environment. Plus if we were to run a convention tournament as a wbo event, we'd have to cap it at 24 participants :')

The monthly bey forum tournaments only sometimes use stadiums that are legal for ranked tournaments over here and instead of stuff like mfl and burst classic we have pre 4D only or burst season 1 parts only kind of formats. Even if the tournaments were suitable for wbo rankings, being on a list with people almost none of us are ever gonna play against isn't really more interesting than a local ranking. (Also Elo-rankings where double elimination is the recommended format for 33 or more participants is kinda sus)

So yeah... The guys running our local forum aren't interested cause it would be limiting them for practically no upside. And with wbo's current ranking system I don't find having a wbo-beyrank too tempting.
(Mar. 31, 2022  3:16 AM)tubitr Wrote: There isn't much incentive to host tournaments as a Wbo-organiser. Our local bey forum already runs monthly tournaments and most people on that forum aren't that interested in the wbo. Then there's tournaments I help them run once or twice a year at conventions or similar events and there most people sign up in person, making wbo accounts for everyone that signs up is just extra work in an already hectic environment. Plus if we were to run a convention tournament as a wbo event, we'd have to cap it at 24 participants :')

The monthly bey forum tournaments only sometimes use stadiums that are legal for ranked tournaments over here and instead of stuff like mfl and burst classic we have pre 4D only or burst season 1 parts only kind of formats. Even if the tournaments were suitable for wbo rankings, being on a list with people almost none of us are ever gonna play against isn't really more interesting than a local ranking. (Also Elo-rankings where double elimination is the recommended format for 33 or more participants is kinda sus)

So yeah... The guys running our local forum aren't interested cause it would be limiting them for practically no upside. And with wbo's current ranking system I don't find having a wbo-beyrank too tempting.

I appreciate your input and honesty. And honestly I’m glad you all are hosting and have a community to spread the joy of Beyblade 😎
(Mar. 31, 2022  3:56 AM)StayCool Wrote: I appreciate your input and honesty. And honestly I’m glad you all are hosting and have a community to spread the joy of Beyblade 😎

Rereading what I wrote, it came out a bit harsh oops. I should mention I'm constantly pestering the guy running our forum to be more like wbo in some ways (BSC is more fun than just season 1 beys imo, swiss in to single elim is much better than just single elim, playing in different stadiums is fun but some are just too jank, 3v3 or deck format >>> single bey finals etc...)
Oh I thought this was a tournament thread lo.
Since I'm here I might as well answer the Thread's Question:
I think I went over everything. I'll probably never get a TT bey due to not having proper stadiums or people to play with (I have 3 brothers, but none have any interest), how would I even use them? Ofc I might get some that I really like but that would be purely for collection purposes.