Random Beyblade Anime and Manga Thoughts

Beyblade Burst changed a lot of the mythology, to the point I hope kids dont rely on it to learn about such
I don't think kids do considering when I was that age, I was more focused on the avatars and not the mythology behind it. It's a good starting point, but just... kids aren't that... gullible (is that the right word?) to just suddenly rely on beyblade for mythology. If anything, they're not even probably thinking about the mythology behind it at all. It's cool and interesting to look into on your own, but honestly I doubt kids would just blindly believe that it's 'true mythology'.
(Aug. 15, 2019  5:00 AM)Okanie Wrote: I don't think kids do considering when I was that age, I was more focused on the avatars and not the mythology behind it. It's a good starting point, but just... kids aren't that... gullible (is that the right word?) to just suddenly rely on beyblade for mythology. If anything, they're not even probably thinking about the mythology behind it at all. It's cool and interesting to look into on your own, but honestly I doubt kids would just blindly believe that it's 'true mythology'.

It does invite people to want to do research on it though. Not saying use beyblade for it, but finding out about folkore and mythological creatures through beyblade ain't a bad thing.
Im not implying that every young kid is a dumb bean and will rely on Beyblade for facts. Hardly characters even discuss about their Beys’ mythology, so I get that. Kids who are old enough to research and understand actual myths are capable of looking into the mythology. Younger kids, most likely five or six, probably wouldnt. Also, some myths can be inappropriate or too complex, so I get that too

Though, there are those miracles where one day, you see someone assume that Yggdrasil is actually a tree-turtle and not a tree. It happens
How come Hearts's Dead Gravity had no affect on Phi's Revive Phoenix.
(Aug. 15, 2019  8:46 PM)Strider Xanthos Wrote:
(Aug. 15, 2019  5:00 AM)Okanie Wrote: I don't think kids do considering when I was that age, I was more focused on the avatars and not the mythology behind it. It's a good starting point, but just... kids aren't that... gullible (is that the right word?) to just suddenly rely on beyblade for mythology. If anything, they're not even probably thinking about the mythology behind it at all. It's cool and interesting to look into on your own, but honestly I doubt kids would just blindly believe that it's 'true mythology'.

It does invite people to want to do research on it though. Not saying use beyblade for it, but finding out about folkore and mythological creatures through beyblade ain't a bad thing.

So we basically both agree that it's a good starting point, right? Because I did state that it's a good starting point for someone that is interested in mythology. Like the original beyblade series, the four main characters' beys were based off of the four Chinese Astrological signs; Seiryuu, Genbu, Byakko, and Suzaku. At the time when I was watching it as a kid, I didn't even think about the mythology behind the creatures-- but it was a good starting point later in my life when I got into mythology.

(Aug. 15, 2019  8:51 PM)XSabxManiacX Wrote: Im not implying that every young kid is a dumb bean and will rely on Beyblade for facts. Hardly characters even discuss about their Beys’ mythology, so I get that. Kids who are old enough to research and understand actual myths are capable of looking into the mythology. Younger kids, most likely five or six, probably wouldnt. Also, some myths can be inappropriate or too complex, so I get that too

Though, there are those miracles where one day, you see someone assume that Yggdrasil is actually a tree-turtle and not a tree. It happens

At the same time, it was kind of hinted since stated "I hope kids don't rely on it to learn about such." Not implying that you said kids are dumb, but are gullible to fall into the belief that beyblade is a basis to learn mythology from, at least that's how I read it. Where I was going at was due to the kids more focused on the avatars or just the names themselves, especially the audience that beyburst particularly caters to. It's more focused on visualization rather than accurate mythological depictions.

Funny you mentioned Yggdrasil considering that the avatar looks more like the world-bearing turtle that's used in a lot of different medias. I'm pretty sure they chose that one cause looking at a tree avatar... wouldn't be as exciting to children. Not only that, but there are a lot of different adaptations to what Yggdrasil would look like such as in Tales of Symphonia, he was a character before becoming the world tree (I have to go back into the game to remember) and etc.
(Aug. 15, 2019  9:50 PM)Achilles25 Wrote: How come Hearts's Dead Gravity had no affect on Phi's Revive Phoenix.

Dead Hades weight can work against it, so if you use or absorb the shockwave from the attack without getting damaged too hard, you can break through. Plus, Revive Phoenix’s merge tip makes returning/countering damage much easier

(Aug. 15, 2019  9:57 PM)Okanie Wrote:
(Aug. 15, 2019  8:46 PM)Strider Xanthos Wrote: It does invite people to want to do research on it though. Not saying use beyblade for it, but finding out about folkore and mythological creatures through beyblade ain't a bad thing.

So we basically both agree that it's a good starting point, right? Because I did state that it's a good starting point for someone that is interested in mythology. Like the original beyblade series, the four main characters' beys were based off of the four Chinese Astrological signs; Seiryuu, Genbu, Byakko, and Suzaku. At the time when I was watching it as a kid, I didn't even think about the mythology behind the creatures-- but it was a good starting point later in my life when I got into mythology.

(Aug. 15, 2019  8:51 PM)XSabxManiacX Wrote: Im not implying that every young kid is a dumb bean and will rely on Beyblade for facts. Hardly characters even discuss about their Beys’ mythology, so I get that. Kids who are old enough to research and understand actual myths are capable of looking into the mythology. Younger kids, most likely five or six, probably wouldnt. Also, some myths can be inappropriate or too complex, so I get that too

At the same time, it was kind of hinted since stated "I hope kids don't rely on it to learn about such." Not implying that you said kids are dumb, but are gullible to fall into the belief that beyblade is a basis to learn mythology from, at least that's how I read it. Where I was going at was due to the kids more focused on the avatars or just the names themselves, especially the audience that beyburst particularly caters to. It's more focused on visualization rather than accurate mythological depictions.

Funny you mentioned Yggdrasil considering that the avatar looks more like the world-bearing turtle that's used in a lot of different medias. I'm pretty sure they chose that one cause looking at a tree avatar... wouldn't be as exciting to children. Not only that, but there are a lot of different adaptations to what Yggdrasil would look like such as in Tales of Symphonia, he was a character before becoming the world tree (I have to go back into the game to remember) and etc.

basically we agree lol
(Aug. 15, 2019  9:57 PM)Okanie Wrote:

While that is true, Im going to say that Im not in charge of anyone else’s research. I cant speak for the behalf of Beyblade or the origins of the myths. While many series depict differences and various versions of myths, the research is ultimately left the the audience and viewer. I am not in charge of what they want to believe in, or how much theyre exposed to the origins of the myths. Depictions come and go and change throughout time, so theres that. People draw manticores and centaurs in different ways, so Im going to give you credit for your response

As since the English dub made Valtryeka male (or at least, by the sound of it), Im not going to be too surprised. People will still argue over Valtryek’s gender, but I guess I will leave it to them to debate. Learning mythology and hearing it from Beyblade is nothing bad. It depends whether youre interested enough to research or not. But of course, that is ultimately the viewer’s choice. Im not in charge of them
(Aug. 15, 2019  10:32 PM)XSabxManiacX Wrote:
(Aug. 15, 2019  9:57 PM)Okanie Wrote: At the same time, it was kind of hinted since stated "I hope kids don't rely on it to learn about such." Not implying that you said kids are dumb, but are gullible to fall into the belief that beyblade is a basis to learn mythology from, at least that's how I read it. Where I was going at was due to the kids more focused on the avatars or just the names themselves, especially the audience that beyburst particularly caters to. It's more focused on visualization rather than accurate mythological depictions.

While that is true, Im going to say that Im not in charge of anyone else’s research. I cant speak for the behalf of Beyblade or the origins of the myths. While many series depict differences and various versions of myths, the research is ultimately left the the audience and viewer. I am not in charge of what they want to believe in, or how much theyre exposed to the origins of the myths. Depictions come and go and change throughout time, so theres that. People draw manticores and centaurs in different ways, so Im going to give you credit for your response

As since the English dub made Valtryeka male (or at least, by the sound of it), Im not going to be too surprised. People will still argue over Valtryek’s gender, but I guess I will leave it to them to debate. Learning mythology and hearing it from Beyblade is nothing bad. It depends whether youre interested enough to research or not. But of course, that is ultimately the viewer’s choice. Im not in charge of them

And the only reason Valt's Valykire is considered "male " in the dub is because the VA lowered her voice since she's the same one who does Valt's voice dubbed. But it just sounds like a gruffer Valt who can be either gender, so I consider her female.
So... there didn't need to be the comment of hoping that kids didn't take beyblade for actual mythology? That was more towards what I was referring to, not really saying that you had to be in charge of their interpretations of myths or mythemes that are used in media as myths often change over time or remade. I apologize, I was more confused about this statement if anything.

Most likely why they changed the name in the English dub? While Valtryek originally is Valkyrie, the name changed most likely allowed them to change the voice into a more male like voice as they are marketing towards a male audience. Honestly, at this point I don't think the genders or actual myth behind bey avatars really matters to most of the audience since it's mostly about how cool and amazing the depiction of the bey avatar looks.

Again, it isn't so much focused on the actual mythology but the avatars themselves, I agree that it is a good starting point which was what I was saying before (I'm not sure if my point on this was made clear?), and some people may not even think twice about the myth behind said media or what not. I never said you had to be in charge of them nor did I imply that you had to steer them towards that direction?? I apologize if it came across that way?
(Aug. 15, 2019  11:00 PM)Okanie Wrote: So... there didn't need to be the comment of hoping that kids didn't take beyblade for actual mythology? That was more towards what I was referring to, not really saying that you had to be in charge of their interpretations of myths or mythemes that are used in media as myths often change over time or remade. I apologize, I was more confused about this statement if anything.

Most likely why they changed the name in the English dub? While Valtryek originally is Valkyrie, the name changed most likely allowed them to change the voice into a more male like voice as they are marketing towards a male audience. Honestly, at this point I don't think the genders or actual myth behind bey avatars really matters to most of the audience since it's mostly about how cool and amazing the depiction of the bey avatar looks.

Again, it isn't so much focused on the actual mythology but the avatars themselves, I agree that it is a good starting point which was what I was saying before (I'm not sure if my point on this was made clear?), and some people may not even think twice about the myth behind said media or what not. I never said you had to be in charge of them nor did I imply that you had to steer them towards that direction?? I apologize if it came across that way?

There didn't need too. The whole bit beast thing was just a joke we started from another thread. Kids aren't actually going to believe it.

Most of the names were changed most likely to avoid certain references. Hence why Satomb was changed to Satan. There are certain "kids" anime that don't change certain names, though only one out of ten would keep death, devil, or killer in the show.

we know. It was clear, don't worry.
(Aug. 16, 2019  9:45 PM)Strider Xanthos Wrote:
(Aug. 15, 2019  11:00 PM)Okanie Wrote: So... there didn't need to be the comment of hoping that kids didn't take beyblade for actual mythology? That was more towards what I was referring to, not really saying that you had to be in charge of their interpretations of myths or mythemes that are used in media as myths often change over time or remade. I apologize, I was more confused about this statement if anything.

There didn't need too. The whole bit beast thing was just a joke we started from another thread. Kids aren't actually going to believe it.

Most of the names were changed most likely to avoid certain references. Hence why Satomb was changed to Satan. There are certain "kids" anime that don't change certain names, though only one out of ten would keep death, devil, or killer in the show.

we know. It was clear, don't worry.

I agree with you. I figured that Burst’s dubbing studio was slightly going to be like 4Kids with the censoring and all. Im sure no one really minded the name changes later on, though there was initial shock and confusion
As a child, I adored the original season of Beyblade. The second, not so much and I must've quit watching right after the Island Arc. First and foremost I hate the bland art style when to this day I hold the art style of the first in high regard. But the story also wasn't landing and Hiromi was undeniably part of that. It's never fun if the Smurfette gets the least to accomplish, and it's worse if the Smurfette is a later addition. But I don't think as negatively about Hiromi anymore as I used to do. She's still a terrible character, sure, but she's nothing worse than the most pinpoint-able symptom of V-Force's mindboggling narrative incompetence.

If you ask me, Hiromi was meant to be the "bit-beast-sensitive" member of the team. With the focus on bit-beasts in the second season, it's odd there's no character that, like, has any sort of ability or unique knowledge regarding them. Meanwhile, Hiromi did that fainting when Flash Leopard and Dragoon battled and in learning how to see bit-beasts she made Vanishing Moot visible. Then there's also that weird, hateful scene much later when we learn she's into fortune-telling. It vibes to me as done by the writing team to poke fun at something regarding Hiromi and as a means to put a definitive no on it. I think that something is genuine spiritual powers.

Doesn't mean she wasn't also meant to be the Smurfette, because mighty misters and magical misses is a thing. Fair question if that's ire to be directed at her, though, given that the default story launched with Aoki or possibly higher-up looking at JBBB and deciding that Takao, Kai, and Hitoshi would be keepers, Rokumaru would be reconstructed into Kyoju, Takao's mom would be killed off to be replaced with his grandfather, and Kurumi wouldn't come along at all.

Hiromi's case isn't unique either. I'd say from the 50 or so characters in V-Force, 60 or so if you count the movie, only about 20 had a satisfying run relative to their (suggested) importance. (For comparison, I think ten characters tops didn't get what they were entitled to in the first season.) V-Force didn't like to ground characters and just kinda rushed from one to the other, sometimes explicitly making choices to avoid having to do more, like rejecting Aoki's battletower bladers in favor of the Doctor K.'s mooks. (For the record, I'm happy an evil-to-the-end villain who's female was included, but I'd rather she'd been included when Gideon's and Doctor B.'s story was still going instead of things being cut off to start hers.) Only thing is, Hiromi is the one bit of V-Force damage that made it into G-Rev, and I can't conclude elsewise than that the writers still had it out for her, preferring to poke fun at her uselessness instead of amending it. She deserved better.
(Aug. 18, 2019  9:02 AM)Parrotbeak Wrote: As a child, I adored the original season of Beyblade. The second, not so much and I must've quit watching right after the Island Arc. First and foremost I hate the bland art style when to this day I hold the art style of the first in high regard. But the story also wasn't landing and Hiromi was undeniably part of that. It's never fun if the Smurfette gets the least to accomplish, and it's worse if the Smurfette is a later addition. But I don't think as negatively about Hiromi anymore as I used to do. She's still a terrible character, sure, but she's nothing worse than the most pinpoint-able symptom of V-Force's mindboggling narrative incompetence.

If you ask me, Hiromi was meant to be the "bit-beast-sensitive" member of the team. With the focus on bit-beasts in the second season, it's odd there's no character that, like, has any sort of ability or unique knowledge regarding them. Meanwhile, Hiromi did that fainting when Flash Leopard and Dragoon battled and in learning how to see bit-beasts she made Vanishing Moot visible. Then there's also that weird, hateful scene much later when we learn she's into fortune-telling. It vibes to me as done by the writing team to poke fun at something regarding Hiromi and as a means to put a definitive no on it. I think that something is genuine spiritual powers.

Doesn't mean she wasn't also meant to be the Smurfette, because mighty misters and magical misses is a thing. Fair question if that's ire to be directed at her, though, given that the default story launched with Aoki or possibly higher-up looking at JBBB and deciding that Takao, Kai, and Hitoshi would be keepers, Rokumaru would be reconstructed into Kyoju, Takao's mom would be killed off to be replaced with his grandfather, and Kurumi wouldn't come along at all.

Hiromi's case isn't unique either. I'd say from the 50 or so characters in V-Force, 60 or so if you count the movie, only about 20 had a satisfying run relative to their (suggested) importance. (For comparison, I think ten characters tops didn't get what they were entitled to in the first season.) V-Force didn't like to ground characters and just kinda rushed from one to the other, sometimes explicitly making choices to avoid having to do more, like rejecting Aoki's battletower bladers in favor of the Doctor K.'s mooks. (For the record, I'm happy an evil-to-the-end villain who's female was included, but I'd rather she'd been included when Gideon's and Doctor B.'s story was still going instead of things being cut off to start hers.) Only thing is, Hiromi is the one bit of V-Force damage that made it into G-Rev, and I can't conclude elsewise than that the writers still had it out for her, preferring to poke fun at her uselessness instead of amending it. She deserved better.

It's a shame too, Hiromi/Hilary could've been a decent character had she been given more to do but the writers just didn't care about her and made her the generic, useless, token girl who just stood in the background. To me, the whole "bit-beast sensitive" wasn't really that impactful since it only happened a couple of episodes.

In my opinion, I personally feel like she was tacked on to the series specifically to make fun of people who think Beyblade is a stupid game and uses the Bladebreakers to explain why the game is "deeper than they think". That's the only recurring purpose she had on V-Force, to act as a strawman for detractors.

But V-Force did suffer from other issues besides pacing, inconsistent priorities with the generic lackeys and Hiromi, it was repetitive with Takao having to learn the same lessons over and over again and it had the worst episode of the entire franchise that makes BeyRaiderz look good in comparison (sorry I keep ranting about that episode, I hate it so much haha).
GT's reception is split down the middle everywhere I go. I don't hate it. But I'm noticing a lot of beats from season 1 Burst. Its stupid but here me out:
First 12-15 episodes where the protagonist competes in a district tournament.
And Amane feels like a mix of Rantaro (best friend) and Daina (most level headed of the group)
At/right after the end, facing off against his main rival, who's revealed to be in the group of the top bladers (1/Japan, GT/world). Protagonist and rival also were "friends" before the show began and trained together.
Afterwards, the main protagonist and his team journey to meet the second member of the group of top bladers for training, who also happens to be a martial artist with impressive dexterity.

I don't believe its note for note, far from it. Shu didn't fight Zac in episode 18 of Burst while Sword Flames and Beigoma duked it out. (Although that would be awesome). Every beyblade season barring V Force and Metal Fusion has a tournament arc within the beginning of the first ten episodes. It just feels a bit similar is all, ya get me?
(Aug. 18, 2019  10:38 PM)Strider Xanthos Wrote: GT's reception is split down the middle everywhere I go. I don't hate it. But I'm noticing a lot of beats from season 1 Burst. Its stupid but here me out:
First 12-15 episodes where the protagonist competes in a district tournament.
And Amane feels like a mix of Rantaro (best friend) and Daina (most level headed of the group)
At/right after the end, facing off against his main rival, who's revealed to be in the group of the top bladers (1/Japan, GT/world). Protagonist and rival also were "friends" before the show began and trained together.
Afterwards, the main protagonist and his team journey to meet the second member of the group of top bladers for training, who also happens to be a martial artist with impressive dexterity.

I don't believe its note for note, far from it. Shu didn't fight Zac in episode 18 of Burst while Sword Flames and Beigoma duked it out. (Although that would be awesome). Every beyblade season barring V Force and Metal Fusion has a tournament arc within the beginning of the first ten episodes. It just feels a bit similar is all, ya get me?

Never noticed it being that similar till you pointed it out haha. Not saying I haven't noticed any similarities before, I have but I didn't know there was that much lol.

As for me, I find it hard to like GT TBH. I know I sound like I'm being too negative but something about the GT anime bugs me. With all the other Burst series, I'm always happy to catch up with the next episode, whether it's good or bad but with GT, it's different. This has nothing to do with the shorter episodes either (hell, I looked forward to episodes of Zero-G back when it was new), it's just so... I can't describe it, bare-bones I suppose.
I haven't had time to watch new episodes of GT. Can someone enlighten me either what happened after episode 15?
(Aug. 19, 2019  11:03 AM)Spriggan 2.0 Wrote: I haven't had time to watch new episodes of GT. Can someone enlighten me either what happened after episode 15?
Episodes 15-19 are subbed on gogoanime. Watchcartoononline only has 18 and 19.
Sure: Delta shows off Erase Diaboros and defeats Drum 6 to 0. After seeing Delta's strength and Drum & Amane's performance in the Bey Carnival, Tango sells all of his vases and Victories is starting a training journey, where they meet the second of the Global Top 3: Pot Hope: who's bey is the Stamina type Heaven Pegasus. Amane loses to him and starts a special form of training and soon battles Drum after the latter pestures him too much. Their fight is ongoing.

Meanwhile, Delta confronts the third of the GT 3, Blind Devoy: who's bey is the Defense type: Dread Bahamut. Delta starts having difficulties using Gold Turbo but motivates himself to pull through and they use a new special move, Shining Cross, to defeat Blind. Blind himself is captivated by finding the true strength of his opponents and is only interested in bladers who do so, which is why he didn't enter the last tournament.

And right now Drum is battling Pot. That's about it.
We read the mangas and valt won against dante in the last chapter !!
(Aug. 19, 2019  2:45 PM)Strider Xanthos Wrote:
(Aug. 19, 2019  11:03 AM)Spriggan 2.0 Wrote: I haven't had time to watch new episodes of GT. Can someone enlighten me either what happened after episode 15?
Episodes 15-19 are subbed on gogoanime. Watchcartoononline only has 18 and 19.
Sure: Delta shows off Erase Diaboros and defeats Drum 6 to 0. After seeing Delta's strength and Drum & Amane's performance in the Bey Carnival, Tango sells all of his vases and Victories is starting a training journey, where they meet the second of the Global Top 3: Pot Hope: who's bey is the Stamina type Heaven Pegasus. Amane loses to him and starts a special form of training and soon battles Drum after the latter pestures him too much. Their fight is ongoing.

Meanwhile, Delta confronts the third of the GT 3, Blind Devoy: who's bey is the Defense type: Dread Bahamut. Delta starts having difficulties using Gold Turbo but motivates himself to pull through and they use a new special move, Shining Cross, to defeat Blind. Blind himself is captivated by finding the true strength of his opponents and is only interested in bladers who do so, which is why he didn't enter the last tournament.

And right now Drum is battling Pot. That's about it.

Oh. Thanks. I usually use watchcartoononline and I can't really spend time trying to find a good website. Thanks again! Smile
Anyone wonder how someone like Hyde/hearts managed to pay for, imagine, and actually build the dread tower
(Aug. 21, 2019  4:07 PM)DaGoldenPenguin Wrote: Anyone wonder how someone like Hyde/hearts managed to pay for, imagine, and actually build the dread tower

mabye $999999.99
Ha nice answer

Also valt really stinks how did he get this far with barely anything
(Aug. 21, 2019  4:13 PM)DaGoldenPenguin Wrote: Ha nice answer

Also valt really stinks how did he get this far with barely anything

mabye he was battling bad bladers