[RULES] [PROPOSAL] Best 2/3 Matches

Poll: Should Beyblade battles be 2/3 matches (each match being the normal 3/5)?

Yes, all battles should be best 2/3 matches.
0%
Yes, but it should only be an OPTION for tournament organizers if they want.
50.00%
No, the ruleset is fine as is.
50.00%
Total: 100% 24 vote(s)
NOTE: You don't have to be advanced to vote in the poll!

Best 2/3 Matches

* This is a proposal for a new rule, not a rule change

Currently bladers only do a best 3/5 match with a given opponent, choosing only a single bey. This rule proposal is to change each round into best 2/3 matches, where a single match is best 3/5. Before each match bladers would select a bey the same way as normal (after the first match they can pick the same bey if they want or change if they want). An increase in the number of matches played would reduce part of the luck factor in winning an entire round, but it would make tournaments significantly longer.

This proposal could be added as an optional rule, such that tournament organizers could choose if they want just 3/5 battles or 2/3 matches based on time constraints.

Should adding the option for a best 2/3 matches format be considered for the ruleset or is the ruleset fine as is (and why)?

PROS/CONS

If a best 2/3 matches format was added to the ruleset:

PROS
  • Reduce the luck factor in who wins a battle
  • Gives players a second chance if they picked a combo with a horrible match-up (NOTE: they don't have to change their custom if they don't want!)

CONS
  • Tournaments with this format would be significantly longer

I personally like the idea of having this be an option for TOs. If the TO wants, I feel like this would help enable a skilled player to obtain a higher position in the event since there is less of a chance they lose due to goofy luck KOs or something of that nature. Again, I feel it should be an OPTION, since I know a lot of the time Beyblade tournaments can't last very long.
Let's put this in perspective: at it's quickest, this format would last six rounds, longer than the maximum length of the current BeyBattle. The longest it could run is 15 rounds, three times longer than the maximum length of the current BeyBattle. This is not including potential ties. I'm definitely behind anything that helps to minimize the luck factor in winning a BeyBattle, but even in the current format, anything past seven or eight rounds (due to ties) starts to become ridiculous. Under this new format, you'd also have to allow time for the Bladers to pick new Beyblades. The amount of time this would put onto completing a tournament is simply too high, even if everybody in a given tournament agrees that they have time for it (which is unlikely).

And how would BeyPoints work? It wouldn't be fair to process one of these extended BeyBattles in the same way that a regular best 3/5 BeyBattle is processed. We would have to modify the system again in some way because the extended BeyBattles would be worth more BeyPoints due to the higher amount of skill and rounds it takes to win one.
I definitely think it would be too long to even consider as well, unfortunately.

Kei, I think in his idea only the overall result of that matchup would be processed, not each of the BeyBattles with different combinations.
(Jun. 06, 2013  11:37 PM)Kai-V Wrote: Kei, I think in his idea only the overall result of that matchup would be processed, not each of the BeyBattles with different combinations.

I realize this, but what I'm saying is that in this situation it would not be fair to process the extended BeyBattle under the same formula as the regular 3/5 BeyBattle. Winning three rounds with one Beyblade is not analogous to winning six with three different Beyblades (or rather, against more than one Beyblade, most likely). The extended BeyBattle would be worth more.
To be honest I didn't even think about BeyPoints, and you are utterly correct that it would be extremely difficult to work into the current system. That alone probably dooms this idea (which is fine! That's why these threads are made, haha!).

And yeah, 15 rounds of stamina vs. stamina with ties would take the better half of forever (I don't even want to think about spin equalizers). I always feel like tournaments are so short, but it's hard to come up with a way to extend them at all without really extending them.

I'd propose the idea of the finals battles being 2/3 matches if it wasn't for the BeyPoints issue... I think this one is a bust.
Tournaments are short ? I do not have data from all regions, but it seems like parents either complain that they take too long, or they just barely stop at five in the afternoon, which is nice for people and their supper.
I'll admit I do have a different background when it comes to tournaments; I'm not used to parents sticking around the entire time (or at all), haha!

To go off topic for a sec, I'd have to admit I'd personally love to go to a tournament that started early (like, 10 to 11 early) and that was a little longer (so that it'd end at the same time as a normal tournament). It'd still fulfill the whole "in time for supper" thing, but I know there's a major pitfall: since parents probably wouldn't want to hang around that long, anyone not old enough to drive would have to be dropped off at the start and picked up after it was over. Lord knows I wouldn't blame any adult for not wanting to leave their kid for that long, so I know it probably couldn't happen. Still, a man can dream 8)
(Jun. 07, 2013  12:29 AM)Ingulit Wrote: To go off topic for a sec, I'd have to admit I'd personally love to go to a tournament that started early (like, 10 to 11 early) and that was a little longer (so that it'd end at the same time as a normal tournament). It'd still fulfill the whole "in time for supper" thing, but I know there's a major pitfall: since parents probably wouldn't want to hang around that long, anyone not old enough to drive would have to be dropped off at the start and picked up after it was over. Lord knows I wouldn't blame any adult for not wanting to leave their kid for that long, so I know it probably couldn't happen. Still, a man can dream 8)

I've been to Yu-Gi-Oh! tournaments/championships like this before (but even longer, past dinner time) where we had to go through like 8 rounds of Swiss Pairings. It sounds fun (and it kind of is every so often), but it's exhausting.
If we do the 2/3 matches, it is really making the tournament too long. Instead, maybe we can have the luxury to change 1 combo during the round & make the round to best of 7 instead of 5?
(Jun. 07, 2013  2:32 AM)wpardin Wrote: If we do the 2/3 matches, it is really making the tournament too long. Instead, maybe we can have the luxury to change 1 combo during the round & make the round to best of 7 instead of 5?

Heck, I'd be really happy if we just did best of 7 (or 9 even). That wouldn't make tournaments THAT much longer, and it would help remove some of the luck issues.

I'm all for including a counterpick system somehow, but that's best to be left for another time.
From what I've heard about the beypoints system, I'd think any proposal to increase the number of matches at tournaments would have to wait for the day the entry system is made significantly less cumbersome.

Also do remember that a majority of our tournaments are held outdoors. While it would be fine to have as a TO's choice thing in the eventuality that the beypoints system becomes more user-friendly, it could cause complications for new hosts (like what happened with me having more attendees than expected and still doing RR at my first tournament). It'd probably have to only be allowed for experienced TO's, basically.