Q&A with the VAs of Zeo & Toby

A Question for Zeo Mac and Toby_Faust: Are the names of your Beyblades Special moves the same as in the Japanese version or were they changed to different names? For Example: In the Japanese version Byxis's Special moves were Byxis! Destiny Needle and Needle Storm. And Horogium's were Spiral Death Timewall and Spiral Dimension. Are the name's the same or were they changed?
(Aug. 27, 2011  12:54 AM)saturoda Wrote: A Question for Zeo Mac and Toby_Faust: Are the names of your Beyblades Special moves the same as in the Japanese version or were they changed to different names? For Example: In the Japanese version Byxis's Special moves were Byxis! Destiny Needle and Needle Storm. And Horogium's were Spiral Death Timewall and Spiral Dimension. Are the name's the same or were they changed?

Everyone needs to start reading all the other posts before they ask a question. Toby_Faust already answered that question, so your post is SPAM ...
(Aug. 27, 2011  3:16 AM)Kai-V Wrote:
(Aug. 27, 2011  12:54 AM)saturoda Wrote: A Question for Zeo Mac and Toby_Faust: Are the names of your Beyblades Special moves the same as in the Japanese version or were they changed to different names? For Example: In the Japanese version Byxis's Special moves were Byxis! Destiny Needle and Needle Storm. And Horogium's were Spiral Death Timewall and Spiral Dimension. Are the name's the same or were they changed?

Everyone needs to start reading all the other posts before they ask a question. Toby_Faust already answered that question, so your post is SPAM ...

No, my question is not spam, because Toby_Faust only told us about one special move, so I want to know about the names of the other special moves. So no, My question is 100% askable.
(Aug. 27, 2011  6:18 AM)saturoda Wrote: No, my question is not spam, because Toby_Faust only told us about one special move, so I want to know about the names of the other special moves. So no, My question is 100% askable.

... You can deduce that they were all kept because almost the entirety of the special attacks were kept the same ny Nelvana this time in Beyblade Metal Fusion.
(Aug. 27, 2011  6:30 AM)Kai-V Wrote:
(Aug. 27, 2011  6:18 AM)saturoda Wrote: No, my question is not spam, because Toby_Faust only told us about one special move, so I want to know about the names of the other special moves. So no, My question is 100% askable.

... You can deduce that they were all kept because almost the entirety of the special attacks were kept the same ny Nelvana this time in Beyblade Metal Fusion.

Okay Fine, I really don't care anymore.
I have a questinon for both VAs. What's it like working on something as big as Beyblade?
Not Sure If Someone Asked This Already But, Can You (Any VA) Make A Video About Like... The Studio, Where You Record Your Voices, Or Something Like This Video Of Daniel DeSanto (Ray) Giving A Behind The Scenes Look ?

Q. How was it like auditioning for your roles? were there a lot of people auditioning as well?
(Aug. 26, 2011  12:13 AM)LeonTempestXIII Wrote: Peter Cugno is Kyoya's VA in the english dub. You could have easily googled it though, or posted in random thoughts instead. Try to ask questions that pretain to these 2 VA's, as they are taking the time to answer questions from the fan community about what they do, something most VA's wouldn't even consider doing, especialy with a fan base as large as this one.

Serious props to Zeo Mac and Toby_Faust for doing all this. =D

Thanks for the props, you are most welcome!
I love to answer all of your questions, but it's true, I'd rather focus on the things I know instead of than saying, "Sorry, I have no idea."
I hope none of you find that rude, but if the question doesn't pertain to me or the knowledge I possess then it's a waste of your time.

Anyhow, please do keep the questions coming.

(Aug. 26, 2011  1:05 AM)Horogium Wrote: I know i have both of them and you can tell that i prefer tempo but the clear wheels
are still unique ! Eventhough it will never happen i wish tempo will return in 4d...

Oh totally, from what I've seen in 4D… I get my butt HANDED to me… I wish I had Tempo… man, I was unstoppable. (Well… I WAS stopped… but you know what I mean)

(Aug. 26, 2011  11:32 AM)Kirst-Mizuhime Wrote: benji Well I guess that some people need more/less sleep than others, you could be one that needs less sleep. Hmmm maybe think what you like to do and/or have not tried yet and then try it out to see if it relaxes you. I do think writing is a good way to let your thoughts fly free but it can also make you feel wired.

TBH once I have watched some Faust episodes, I might write a oneshot fanfic of him where he ends up reading to kids from a storybook or draw fanart of it. The out of character-ness of it all and/or Faust's reaction to this situation is very appealing...

Ah so you haven't read much fanfic, well Benji maybe now would be a good time to give you and Mac a head's up of what you may see from some fans. Zeo and Toby/Faust are really good friends right? Well there are some fans who will see this and may make yaoi (boy's love) fanworks with your characters. If you wish to fully know what you may expect search "Beyblade Tyson and Kai" (very popular with fans of Beyblade and Yaoi) sometime on deviant art.

Interesting answer to the fanfic question, naturally I am curious to as what you wrote about Faust but I am not gonna push you to tell. Using original characters is very good but I do wonder what you mean when you say canon characters don't often take kindly to your reworkings, what would happen to Toby/Faust in your hands?

You are welcome and again thanks for answering my questions Grin

Jumped right on bored with the most childish of all the names I offered… I can dig it. Heh.
I most certainly do need less sleep, I'm one of those crazy people who functions fine with under 5 hours a night.
However while saying that I am a little under the weather now and that is NOT sufficient right now.
The television series on which I am currently working has a very detailed conspiracy theory intertwined in the whole thing; when I write that it relaxes me completely but uses my brain.

Well, have fun with he one-shot fanfic of Faust, I'll be excited to read it! (Or see any art you create).

Ah, the Yaoi aspect… Scott McNeil and Mark Hildreth introduced me to that (Scott is Duo and Mark is Hero in Gundam Wing). I never thought that my FIRST real anime character would…
Hey Mac, looks like we're going to have to kowtow to the female demographic. It's a good thing you're cute… too far? Heheheh.
Truthfully, we'll deal with that when we get there. I'm a very outgoing person, I can roll with it. I'm pretty sure Mac is laid-back enough to roll with it too.

Regarding what I wrote… I don't really recall what it was… something about him successfully ripping through the fabric of time and slaughtering thousands of people.
The issue with playing with already established characters is that I feel like I don't do the original writers justice. I hate when people play around with my characters… so I don't want to do that to anyone else.

If Faust was in my hands he'd be successfully destroying the lives of everyone… heh.

Thanks for ALL of your questions and comments, I LOVE it.

(Aug. 26, 2011  12:53 PM)Chups Wrote: I'd just love to say how amazing this is. To hear this first hand from someone IN the Anime is amazing I am completely Awe-struck to see and hear the guys behind something I watch quite a bit is breath-takingly incredible.
You guys saying 'Yeah I see Masamune sometimes' As if it's not a big matter. I'm not sure why this appeals to me so much but I am lost for words about this. Thanks a million times.

I'm glad that you're excited to have us here. Trust me when I say we are honoured to be here as well. I can't speak for Mac, but I'm pretty sure he agrees with me.

I love the fans, and am super excited to be involved in something like this so early on in my anime career.

Thanks again, and keep on asking and commenting.

(Aug. 28, 2011  2:25 PM)akylus21 Wrote: I have a questinon for both VAs. What's it like working on something as big as Beyblade?

To be honest, when it comes to the work aspect, not much changes. It's very similar to recording anything else; mostly in that I go in giving it my all.
The preparation is similar, I get the script a few days in advance. I read it and make sure that I know enough of it, but not over studying it that if they change something during the recording I can't just go with the flow.

The actual recording, well, it's an anime so the process is far more difficult than most other recordings.

The fact that it's this huge epic thing with tons of fans… that's a thing with which we deal AFTER the work is done.
That being said… it is AWESOME!

I love being asked questions, I love that there is a huge fan base that will hear me and see my stuff, I love that I can even ANSWER this question for you!
It has me stoked and chomping at the bit for more MORE MORE BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Also… uh… I hope you like my voice acting in it… heh. We'll find out in a few days/weeks.

(Sep. 01, 2011  9:59 PM)Tris Wrote: Not Sure If Someone Asked This Already But, Can You (Any VA) Make A Video About Like... The Studio, Where You Record Your Voices, Or Something Like This Video Of Daniel DeSanto (Ray) Giving A Behind The Scenes Look ?

Well, Mac and I were discussing this last week, and we will make a video for you guys in the near future. It won't be exactly like Daniel's because I don't think that our current director will be super keen on letting us come in the a camera and stuff to watch the other actors. (It's really distracting)
However, I will ask, and I'll try to get a few VAs together to do something.

No matter what, you'll get something that deals with Mac and me at some point. (We might do a little skit for you guys.)

(Sep. 02, 2011  2:53 AM)Cookies^^ Wrote: Q. How was it like auditioning for your roles? were there a lot of people auditioning as well?

I treated it just like any audition really.
I have a very strange approach to auditions.
Of course I'm always excited to be there, but as a voice actor there are hundreds of people who sound just like me, or close enough. I can't ever take a "No" personally. I go in, give it my best shot, sometimes I walk out saying, "MAN I NAILED THAT" and sometimes I hate my performance.

As was said earlier, I don't really recall the audition itself. I remember walking out of the building and seeing Ron Rubin there and having a brief over the shoulder conversation with him and then getting into my car and going, "I nailed something for sure".
I had auditioned for a bunch of characters.

Sure, lots of people auditioned. They are typically very organized with times though, especially Nelvana. I rarely walk in and see a plethora of actors all sitting around waiting for their turn. Just a handful for each time slot.

Thanks for the questions! Keep them coming!
(Sep. 05, 2011  4:48 AM)Toby_Faust Wrote: Jumped right on bored with the most childish of all the names I offered… I can dig it. Heh.
I most certainly do need less sleep, I'm one of those crazy people who functions fine with under 5 hours a night.
However while saying that I am a little under the weather now and that is NOT sufficient right now.
The television series on which I am currently working has a very detailed conspiracy theory intertwined in the whole thing; when I write that it relaxes me completely but uses my brain.

Well, have fun with he one-shot fanfic of Faust, I'll be excited to read it! (Or see any art you create).

Ah, the Yaoi aspect… Scott McNeil and Mark Hildreth introduced me to that (Scott is Duo and Mark is Hero in Gundam Wing). I never thought that my FIRST real anime character would…
Hey Mac, looks like we're going to have to kowtow to the female demographic. It's a good thing you're cute… too far? Heheheh.
Truthfully, we'll deal with that when we get there. I'm a very outgoing person, I can roll with it. I'm pretty sure Mac is laid-back enough to roll with it too.

Regarding what I wrote… I don't really recall what it was… something about him successfully ripping through the fabric of time and slaughtering thousands of people.
The issue with playing with already established characters is that I feel like I don't do the original writers justice. I hate when people play around with my characters… so I don't want to do that to anyone else.

If Faust was in my hands he'd be successfully destroying the lives of everyone… heh.

Thanks for ALL of your questions and comments, I LOVE it.

Well would you expect any less from a 22 year old who is a big kid at heart? XD Seriously though I didn't think Benji was childish but I see what you mean.

You remind me of my Dad as he can function well after sleeping little hours and I used to wake up early (talking 4-5 am here) when I was a kid/teen. Awwww I hope you get better soon being ill is not nice at all and not to sound like a broken record but rest and drink plenty of water. This series you have spoken about sounds very intriging wonder if they'll show it in the UK. Yeah somtimes what is relaxing is simultaneously wiring too.

Thanks, I'll try and do something once I get to know Faust.

Ah so you have been intro'd to Yaoi already, well it may not happen with Faust/Zeo but you if they are shown to be close chances are high. Dealing with stuff when and as it comes is a wise idea really and yeah you both seem chilled and have good humour. (I am loving your bolded questions/comments to Mac btw)

Wow a multi-dimensional murderous Faust attack, now that does sound morbid but I am a sucker for dimension hopping ideas. As a writer yourself it is like a sense of respect in that you wouldn't do what you wouldn't want others to do to you I guess.

So you would make Faust even more of a threat, interesting I get the impression that you very much enjoyed being Faust...mmm maybe more than being Toby.

You are welcome I am glad you are enjoying yourself here, thanks for answering/commenting here.

You're welcome for my question and I hope Zeo Mac answers it by the way Toby/Faust and Zeo are actually two of my FAV characters in the Japanese version and I'm sure you guys will make the English version sound as epic as in the Japanese version also parts from their season 2 beys are actually top tier parts and same with the metal wheel used on their beys from 4D: Screw Fox and Screw Lyra Grin. Good to see the work aspect is the similar but with a twist seeing as it's anime and Beyblade has one of the BIGGEST fan bases around Grin.
Zeo Mac and Toby_Faust, where did you get to adiution for the voices of MFB caractors? I wanted to be the voice of Masamune! No sereusly, I did. Joyful_2
I have a question for Zeo! Zeo, how is Flame Byxis pronounced? Is it byx-ees, or bik-sis, or byx-sis, etc...
(Sep. 07, 2011  11:18 AM)AwesomeWaffles Wrote: I have a question for Zeo! Zeo, how is Flame Byxis pronounced? Is it byx-ees, or bik-sis, or byx-sis, etc...

He already answered that, I just wanted you to know it's pronounced sort of like Bix-Hiss.
Zeo Mac and Toby Faust, was it fun recording your voices for these characters?
(Sep. 05, 2011  4:23 PM)Kirst-Mizuhime Wrote: Well would you expect any less from a 22 year old who is a big kid at heart? XD Seriously though I didn't think Benji was childish but I see what you mean.

You remind me of my Dad as he can function well after sleeping little hours and I used to wake up early (talking 4-5 am here) when I was a kid/teen. Awwww I hope you get better soon being ill is not nice at all and not to sound like a broken record but rest and drink plenty of water. This series you have spoken about sounds very intriging wonder if they'll show it in the UK. Yeah somtimes what is relaxing is simultaneously wiring too.

Thanks, I'll try and do something once I get to know Faust.

Ah so you have been intro'd to Yaoi already, well it may not happen with Faust/Zeo but you if they are shown to be close chances are high. Dealing with stuff when and as it comes is a wise idea really and yeah you both seem chilled and have good humour. (I am loving your bolded questions/comments to Mac btw)

Wow a multi-dimensional murderous Faust attack, now that does sound morbid but I am a sucker for dimension hopping ideas. As a writer yourself it is like a sense of respect in that you wouldn't do what you wouldn't want others to do to you I guess.

So you would make Faust even more of a threat, interesting I get the impression that you very much enjoyed being Faust...mmm maybe more than being Toby.

You are welcome I am glad you are enjoying yourself here, thanks for answering/commenting here.

Like I said, I can dig it. I don't mind being called Benji; it's a name usually only put forth by people who knew me when I was in elementary school… again, I don't mind it. If I did, I wouldn't have mentioned it.

Good to remind someone of their parents… I've always been told I remind people of an old man… heh.
I'm pretty much aaaaall better now. (It only lasts this long when you still run around like a CRAZY man)

Glad you think my show sounds intriguing, I hope it does get shown in the UK… well… I hope it goes to air anywhere… we'll see, it's a lot of fun.

Well, the Yaoi aspect may or may not happen. Mac showed me a picture of his character drawn as a girl… so I think it's imminent. Not to mention he told me he recalls seeing the audition sheet for my character and thinking it was a girl.
Mac is an awesome dude, and he has a great sense of humour, I'm sure we're going to do just fine with whatever gets thrown our way.

I don't know if I enjoyed being Faust more than Toby… I definitely enjoyed being both of them a ton. They are basically polar opposites. Toby is energetic and happy. Even when he gets sick and is in the hospital, his focus is on the positive and his friends. Faust on the other hand is SO determined and focussed on the "new world order", screw the people he knows / knew, and damn anyone in his way.
It's like they are two halves of one whole. The thing I did like most about Faust was his last episode… that was awesome. You'll have to wait to hear/see what happens. I loved recording it… and… well you'll see.

An absolute pleasure to be here, to be talking to people like you, and to be answering questions. I am honoured.

(Sep. 06, 2011  2:17 AM)akylus21 Wrote: You're welcome for my question and I hope Zeo Mac answers it by the way Toby/Faust and Zeo are actually two of my FAV characters in the Japanese version and I'm sure you guys will make the English version sound as epic as in the Japanese version also parts from their season 2 beys are actually top tier parts and same with the metal wheel used on their beys from 4D: Screw Fox and Screw Lyra Grin. Good to see the work aspect is the similar but with a twist seeing as it's anime and Beyblade has one of the BIGGEST fan bases around Grin.

I hope we can live up to your expectations.
From what I can tell so far, I LOVE our fan base… heh. I hope every cartoon I ever do has this much hype.

(Sep. 06, 2011  3:35 PM)TriCat Wrote: Zeo Mac and Toby_Faust, where did you get to adiution for the voices of MFB caractors? I wanted to be the voice of Masamune! No sereusly, I did. Joyful_2

It's all done in Toronto. We auditioned at the Corus Entertainment building downtown. (We were sent by our agents)
If you want to get into voice acting, all the power to you! My key pieces of advice… practice hard, practice often, and be okay with rejection.
Beyond that… good luck!

(Sep. 08, 2011  5:21 PM)akylus21 Wrote: Zeo Mac and Toby Faust, was it fun recording your voices for these characters?

No, it was an absolute chore… I hated every bleeding second of it. My god… I mean, "Ben, get that smile off your face." or "Ben, you're having too much fun." or even "Ben, good job today."
Oh wait, no, I LOVED IT!
My character had a ton of evolving and changing, it was a challenge and it was wonderful. I love voice acting, and working with Debra was just an absolute pleasure.

On another note, not exactly connected to answering questions. Though someone did ask about it earlier… I came up with a little skit idea a few days ago and I'm going to run it by Mac. If he likes it, we'll have a little clip of us up here in the next little bit.

Thanks for all your questions and comments, and I hope to be able to answer many many more.
(Sep. 17, 2011  7:01 AM)Toby_Faust Wrote: Like I said, I can dig it. I don't mind being called Benji; it's a name usually only put forth by people who knew me when I was in elementary school… again, I don't mind it. If I did, I wouldn't have mentioned it.

Good to remind someone of their parents… I've always been told I remind people of an old man… heh.
I'm pretty much aaaaall better now. (It only lasts this long when you still run around like a CRAZY man)

Glad you think my show sounds intriguing, I hope it does get shown in the UK… well… I hope it goes to air anywhere… we'll see, it's a lot of fun.

Well, the Yaoi aspect may or may not happen. Mac showed me a picture of his character drawn as a girl… so I think it's imminent. Not to mention he told me he recalls seeing the audition sheet for my character and thinking it was a girl.
Mac is an awesome dude, and he has a great sense of humour, I'm sure we're going to do just fine with whatever gets thrown our way.

I don't know if I enjoyed being Faust more than Toby… I definitely enjoyed being both of them a ton. They are basically polar opposites. Toby is energetic and happy. Even when he gets sick and is in the hospital, his focus is on the positive and his friends. Faust on the other hand is SO determined and focussed on the "new world order", screw the people he knows / knew, and damn anyone in his way.
It's like they are two halves of one whole. The thing I did like most about Faust was his last episode… that was awesome. You'll have to wait to hear/see what happens. I loved recording it… and… well you'll see.

An absolute pleasure to be here, to be talking to people like you, and to be answering questions. I am honoured.

That's ok then ^-^

Yeah it is good when you remind someone of their parents I mean I have been called "Mum" by friends throughout my life thus far because I mother-hen (read: worry/get protective over and boss about) pretty much everyone close to me. Great to hear you are well again Benji.

Speaking of showing in the UK, Metal Masters has shown no sign thus far of coming here (or apparently Canada). New shows usually come either when school starts or the Xmas/Easter break. There goes my "it'll show in all countries at the same time" theory XD

Someone's drawn Zeo as a girl or was it one of Mac's other characters? Well I found this from a meme by Starbreakers fan Wingedvanilla on DA...
[Image: femfaust.png]
I also found this creepy pic of a scary looking Zeo (would you like to see it Mac?) but no Zeo/Toby yaoi yet Tongue_out_wink I am not surprised that Mac mistook your character for a girl as in anime we get very feminine looking guys and vice versa I mean look at Tsubasa.

I am guessing you enjoyed the challenge of going from one extreme to another all while being the same character essentally. A story where a character goes from very sweet to very dark is interesting because it's unexpected, sometimes unlikely and maybe even heart wrenching.

(Sep. 17, 2011  7:01 AM)Toby_Faust Wrote: On another note, not exactly connected to answering questions. Though someone did ask about it earlier… I came up with a little skit idea a few days ago and I'm going to run it by Mac. If he likes it, we'll have a little clip of us up here in the next little bit.

Thanks for all your questions and comments, and I hope to be able to answer many many more.

I look forward to see what you two come up with and here is 2 questions for you both:

Who in this industry is your inspiration?

What do you guys make of the news that in Japan Beyblade is being cut to 15 mins as opposed to the usual 30? (B Daman will air in the remaning 15 mins)
A question for faust: are you or other VA's going to be at comicon 2011 at the Javits Center
where the Beyblade Us Battle Series Finals will be held?
Q: @ Toby or Faust

I am trying to get into voice acting myself, I'm applying for a drama program at a College in Toronto to improve my acting skills. Of course I'm going to take the acting route first. Since you have an agent I am assuming you have an agent. Now what kind of advice could you give to someone like myself who is interested in voice acting, other than practicing(with anything that's a given, I read monologues and as many books as I can daily spend about 2 or 3 hours each day doing this).

Q: Could you maybe provide a good place in Toronto to get voice acting instruction?

Final Q: Do you find Non-Union Voice Acting Auditions harder than Unionized ones? By Non Union I mean open auditions vs private auditions. Open auditions anyone can come in so your competing with the world. Closed or private auditions set with an agent however have all sorts of people who have the talent to be recognized by an Agent. What is your take on this?
(Sep. 17, 2011  6:30 PM)Kirst-Mizuhime Wrote: That's ok then ^-^

Yeah it is good when you remind someone of their parents I mean I have been called "Mum" by friends throughout my life thus far because I mother-hen (read: worry/get protective over and boss about) pretty much everyone close to me. Great to hear you are well again Benji.

Speaking of showing in the UK, Metal Masters has shown no sign thus far of coming here (or apparently Canada). New shows usually come either when school starts or the Xmas/Easter break. There goes my "it'll show in all countries at the same time" theory XD

Someone's drawn Zeo as a girl or was it one of Mac's other characters? Well I found this from a meme by Starbreakers fan Wingedvanilla on DA...

I also found this creepy pic of a scary looking Zeo (would you like to see it Mac?) but no Zeo/Toby yaoi yet Tongue_out_wink I am not surprised that Mac mistook your character for a girl as in anime we get very feminine looking guys and vice versa I mean look at Tsubasa.

I am guessing you enjoyed the challenge of going from one extreme to another all while being the same character essentally. A story where a character goes from very sweet to very dark is interesting because it's unexpected, sometimes unlikely and maybe even heart wrenching.

I look forward to see what you two come up with and here is 2 questions for you both:

Who in this industry is your inspiration?

What do you guys make of the news that in Japan Beyblade is being cut to 15 mins as opposed to the usual 30? (B Daman will air in the remaning 15 mins)

It's good to mother-hen people, especially if it's to care for people. Lots of people call me "Big bro" (including my older step-sister).

I have NO idea how this airing thing is working. I don't watch myself… so it doesn't matter all that much to me. I hope you get to see it soon. :-)

I saw a female Zeo… and this female me is hilarious! Looking forward to seeing more. Heheh.
Zeo/Toby yaoi will come I'm sure…
I don't mind being a effeminate character, I love him and his bright pinkish shirt, long hair / eyelashes, and purple eyes. Heh.

I loved the challenge. Especially when one day I did both one after the other. I recorded two episodes at once. One as Toby and then one as Faust, LOVED that day.
I also loved the final day of recording the previous season.

To answer your first question. To be quite honest, that's difficult to pinpoint. LOTS of great voice actors personally inspired me on my journey to become the voice actor I am today. From Scott McNeil to Elley-Ray Hennessy and dozens in between. (Too many to list.)
On who inspires me TODAY… the actors who I see regularly, the ones with whom I can talk about the business. Mac is actually a big one lately… His friend Anthony. Others too. I find inspiration in the ones around me who help me keep plugging along, or the ones I help when they need a little push.

If you mean someone in the industry who inspired me beyond everything, I'd have to say Mel Blanc.

On your second question, I'm intrigued on what the effect of that will be on my work… but that's about it. I'm sure they have good reasoning for it.

As per usual, THANK you for the questions!!!

(Sep. 17, 2011  8:03 PM)TheInGreek Wrote: A question for faust: are you or other VA's going to be at comicon 2011 at the Javits Center
where the Beyblade Us Battle Series Finals will be held?

I wasn't invited. If I was, I'd be down there in a HEART beat (I know it's next week).
Maybe next time. It would be cool.

(Oct. 06, 2011  1:55 AM)Genyuumaru Wrote: Q: @ Toby or Faust

I am trying to get into voice acting myself, I'm applying for a drama program at a College in Toronto to improve my acting skills. Of course I'm going to take the acting route first. Since you have an agent I am assuming you have an agent. Now what kind of advice could you give to someone like myself who is interested in voice acting, other than practicing(with anything that's a given, I read monologues and as many books as I can daily spend about 2 or 3 hours each day doing this).

Q: Could you maybe provide a good place in Toronto to get voice acting instruction?

Final Q: Do you find Non-Union Voice Acting Auditions harder than Unionized ones? By Non Union I mean open auditions vs private auditions. Open auditions anyone can come in so your competing with the world. Closed or private auditions set with an agent however have all sorts of people who have the talent to be recognized by an Agent. What is your take on this?

Which college and which program?
It really makes a difference.
The best thing to do is to go the full acting route. What many people misconstrue about voice acting is that it isn't acting. "Just go in, talk, and you're done, the animation does the stuff for you." My personal opinion is exactly the opposite. You need to portray everything a person would show on their face through your voice.
Regular acting lessons are fantastic.
If you'd like my opinion, I'd suggest Acting for Film and Television at Humber College in Toronto. John Bourgeois is a fantastic actor, teacher, and person (he is the program coordinator there).

The main thing is practice. Practice so much that when someone comes over to your house they either think that there are 12 people in your room at once, or they've been over enough times that they just go, "Whoop, Ben goes… voice acting again". (Personal experience)

There are many great places to get voice lessons in Toronto. From classes with Elley-Ray Hennessy to Tooned in! with Stevie Vallance or Voiceworx with Mike Kirby. Lots to choose and lots to learn.

Well, I did my share of non-union work and now that I'm part of the Union I can't do those anymore. I find that everyone has their own take. I have a friend who does both and pays the fees for the union permit.
For me, I'm a bigger fan of the unionized stuff. I like knowing that Paul (my agent) will take care of me. I don't have to worry about being overworked and underpaid. I did a series of commercials years and years ago, they went to air, my friends heard them… I was never paid. That would NOT stand in the union.
I can see the advantages of both but again, personally, I like union more.

Hope that helped you out.
All the best and if you have more questions don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks for the questions everyone.
Q for both of you:

When you first saw your character, did youu think they resembled another character/person? Because Faust looks a LOT like Sephiroth from FF7, and Zeo's ponytail looks like a fox's tail [I guess that's why his new bey's Screw Fox Tongue_out]

zeo:

Did you originally think Byxis was pronounced Bike-sees? I did.

toby:
This isn't really a question, but Tempo didn't just blow STUFF up. IT TOOK OUT HALF OF AMERICA!!!!!!
(Oct. 06, 2011  3:36 AM)Toby_Faust Wrote: It's good to mother-hen people, especially if it's to care for people. Lots of people call me "Big bro" (including my older step-sister).

I have NO idea how this airing thing is working. I don't watch myself… so it doesn't matter all that much to me. I hope you get to see it soon. :-)

I saw a female Zeo… and this female me is hilarious! Looking forward to seeing more. Heheh.
Zeo/Toby yaoi will come I'm sure…
I don't mind being a effeminate character, I love him and his bright pinkish shirt, long hair / eyelashes, and purple eyes. Heh.

I loved the challenge. Especially when one day I did both one after the other. I recorded two episodes at once. One as Toby and then one as Faust, LOVED that day.
I also loved the final day of recording the previous season.

To answer your first question. To be quite honest, that's difficult to pinpoint. LOTS of great voice actors personally inspired me on my journey to become the voice actor I am today. From Scott McNeil to Elley-Ray Hennessy and dozens in between. (Too many to list.)
On who inspires me TODAY… the actors who I see regularly, the ones with whom I can talk about the business. Mac is actually a big one lately… His friend Anthony. Others too. I find inspiration in the ones around me who help me keep plugging along, or the ones I help when they need a little push.

If you mean someone in the industry who inspired me beyond everything, I'd have to say Mel Blanc.

On your second question, I'm intrigued on what the effect of that will be on my work… but that's about it. I'm sure they have good reasoning for it.

As per usual, THANK you for the questions!!!

Thanks Grin

I hope it comes soon, I am planning to watch it ^-^

Ah so a female version of Zeo I am sure once the series is up there will be more awesome, unusual and downright questionable fanfic/art for you and Mac to see, I feel sorry for Fem!Faust in that pic being pestered by Jack there but maybe I shouldn't since this is Faust we are talking about here and they do say the females are deadlier than the males...

I think Toby is sweet from what I have seen of him so far I am pretty sure we'll all love him pinkish shirt, long hair and all hehe (and will make his transformation to Faust rather heart wrenching) and I am glad you enjoyed the challenge it does sound very interesting.

So basically whether it be your idols, those who help you, those who you help or fellow actors you guys all help inspire each other that is pretty sweet. Naturally I am pleased to hear that Mac has been prominent in that sense recently, A friend on DA says how Beyblade brings everyone together and it seems that includes the cast members Cute

Mel Blanc has made quite the impact on the voice acting industry.

The general thoery is that Nelvana will put two 15 min episodes together to make a 30 mins episode when it comes to dubbing them. It is just grating that TV Tokyo doesn't seem to think that either Beyblade or B Daman deserve their own half hour slot but then I don't know how broadcasting works.

And as per usual THANK you for answering them!!!! Grin

For many of us here Beyblade (be it Tyson's story or Gingka's story) was one of our fave shows we grew up with
My question is what were your fave show/s that you watched growing up?
Where's Zeo-Mac gone? anyway I've got a question for him, what was the most emotional/heartfelt moment or scene that Zeo appears?
Um, can joining my school choure work? We get vocal lessons. Can that help me with aditioning? I am thinking about doing Yuki's voice. If someone is already doing that part, can you tell me what parts are still pen and when the aditions are.