Proposal: Speed/Heavy/Normal String Launchers and swapping parts?

This is a proposal to change the current ruling on swapping parts on the Beyblade Burst Beylauncher, Beylauncher Speed Ver., and Beylauncher Heavy Ver. The current rules state this:

’Burst Format Rulebook’ Wrote:Swapping Launcher Components: Components of a launcher that have been worn down over use may be replaced with an identical substitute from another launcher.

This was all well and good during MFB, when all right spin String Launchers were more or less identical (obviously swapping between the left Launcher and L/R wouldn’t work because the internals are flipped in the left Launcher and the L/R has a few exclusive parts to allow it to work both ways), but in Burst, the Heavy and Speed Launchers throw a wrench in this. These launchers have different shaped casings, different length strings, and gears with different sized teeth than the standard Beylauncher. Yet the internals (the gears and strings) of these launchers are interchangeable.

Technically, the rules would allow components to be swapped between two normal Beylaunchers, two Speed Launchers, or two Heavy Launchers, but not, say, a Speed Launcher and a Heavy Launcher. This would allow Bladers to mix and match colors (so you could have the blue top casing of the B-08 launcher with the red bottom casing of the B-16 launcher, and a yellow handle attached to a 18” string from the B-25 launcher) with that being perfectly legal since all of the parts come from identical launchers, and despite how it looks, it functions just like an uncustomized String Launcher would.

[Image: MrPc5U6.jpg]
As you can see, the Speed and Heavy Launchers are slightly taller than the standard String Launcher.

While the slight difference in casing size between the Speed/Heavy Launchers and the normal String Launcher means that it’s physically impossible to combine the top casing of the Speed/Heavy Launcher with the bottom casing of a normal String Launcher (and vice versa), the internals can be swapped between them. That means that it’s physically possible to have an array of different combinations:

• Normal casings, Heavy internals
  • Normal casings, Speed internals
  • Heavy casings, Normal internals
  • Heavy casings, Speed internals
  • Speed casings, Normal internals
  • Speed casings, Heavy internals

Technically, these would all be illegal since creating them involves swapping components from launchers that aren’t identical, but hear me out: all six of these launchers would function as their internals would normally – as cheesy as it sounds, it’s not on the outside but on the inside, that matters. A launcher with Heavy casings and Speed internals will function identically as a stock Speed launcher, meaning that this rule change is solely for aesthetic purposes to change the color of their launcher (say, if someone wants to use the more powerful Speed internals in their B-08 casings because it matches their matte blue Blaze Ragnaruk).

The only issue I could potentially see this having is when someone has a “longer than normal” string in their launcher during a tournament, which could be easily resolved as long as the player informs the judge that they are using the Speed/Normal internals in their Normal/Heavy casings respectively. Now that we have that handy dandy rotation chart it’s easier than ever to make sure the string is the length the Blader says it should be, and since the Speed string is a legal string anyways, if this rule change goes through it would only become a problem if someone’s string is longer than the Speed Launcher’s (meaning it was an illegal string to begin with).

So what does everyone think? The only purpose this mod would serve is to change the color of your launcher, and it wouldn’t be able to create a more powerful String Launcher than already exists (the Speed Launcher). Can anyone think of a good reason why this shouldn’t be legal?
Sure they can say the string is from 'x' beylauncher but we can't be certain if they put Heavy gears in their normal string launcher with a speed launcher string. You can't tell what gears are being used unless you take it apart so I personally think this should stay illegal.
I agree with more customisation in theory... But what are the practical benefits of this exactly?
(Jul. 31, 2017  4:28 PM)1234beyblade Wrote: Sure they can say the string is from 'x' beylauncher but we can't be certain if they put Heavy gears in their normal string launcher with a speed launcher string. You can't tell what gears are being used unless you take it apart so I personally think this should stay illegal.

Agreed. I can appreciate the desire for aesthetic customization, but it would complicate judging even further than it already is. And it also makes it impossible for someone to know what launcher their opponent is using if they've made a customization like this. I don't think players should have the right to–in effect–"hide" their launcher selection by performing a modification like this.

Happy to listen to more opinions on this, but that's my initial impression.
(Jul. 31, 2017  4:28 PM)1234beyblade Wrote: Sure they can say the string is from 'x' beylauncher but we can't be certain if they put Heavy gears in their normal string launcher with a speed launcher string.  You can't tell what gears are being used unless you take it apart so I personally think this should stay illegal.

Completely agreed. Correct me if I'm wrong but Heaay ver. had best gears right? And combined with speed string, won't it make it bit unfair for those who ad all 3 launcers vs normal users? I mean it would kinda make causal players or younger blader who doesn't have access to this or can't modify launchers have an disadvantage over serious bladers. It also isn't intended to be that way by TT, so for keeping game consistent for all kinds of bladers I too think this should made ilegal and only launchers with same kind can have there internals swaped.

Also btw. I had this in my mind for quite a some time. How about allowing to change string of launcher after breaking with a same lenth one? I mean its legal to switch strings between launchers but what if a blader has just 1 launcher and string breaks?

It will make bladers with lower budget to stick with same launcher for very long time and let more bladers use string launchers without fear of breaking
(Jul. 31, 2017  4:28 PM)1234beyblade Wrote: Sure they can say the string is from 'x' beylauncher but we can't be certain if they put Heavy gears in their normal string launcher with a speed launcher string.  You can't tell what gears are being used unless you take it apart so I personally think this should stay illegal.
That's irrelevant, since all three of the launchers have a 1:1 gear ratio. Despite the different sizes of teeth between the various launchers, the teeth of the two gears within the same launcher (excluding the Sword Launcher, which is why it breaks so much) are the same, meaning that it's going to be the same amount of rotation distance per string length. You still won't be able to create a more powerful launcher than the stock Speed Launcher. I tried mixing gears from two different kinds of launchers and they were incompatible.

(Aug. 01, 2017  2:45 AM)FIREFIRE CPB Wrote: Also btw. I had this in my mind for quite a some time. How about allowing to change string of launcher after breaking with a same lenth one? I mean its legal to switch strings between launchers but what if a blader has just 1 launcher and string breaks?

It will make bladers with lower budget to stick with same launcher for very long time and let more bladers use string launchers without fear of breaking
I mean, the risk of breaking something and not having a replacement is just something that all Bladers face, no matter what combo/launcher they're using, as is the security of having a replacement in case something does break. Just because some things are more likely to break doesn't mean there should be special rules to accommodate them (Uriel 2 being the rare exception).

(Aug. 01, 2017  1:25 AM)Kei Wrote: Agreed. I can appreciate the desire for aesthetic customization, but it would complicate judging even further than it already is. And it also makes it impossible for someone to know what launcher their opponent is using if they've made a customization like this. I don't think players should have the right to–in effect–"hide" their launcher selection by performing a modification like this.

Happy to listen to more opinions on this, but that's my initial impression.
We could always have players reveal what launcher they're using when they reveal their combo (which they kind of already do) if this is that big of an issue. Though the way I see it, having the internals of the launcher be a mystery is not really that different than the opponent's combo's balance being a mystery, or the degree of free spin on their Revolve/Hold/Atomic. For example, losing a Stamina match your combo would normally win because your opponent's combo had better balance is similar to losing the match because your opponent was using the Speed Launcher string in normal casings and you were just using the normal Beylauncher, or because the opponent's Hold was more free-spinning than the one you have and tested against at home. Neither of these things were factors you knew going into a first encounter, but they can all be noted and planned around in future matches.

I'm especially interested in what combo expert @[Angry Face] thinks of this, since he tinkers with his stuff quite a bit.
Irrelevant, right, you can put the string into different gears, you can have heavy gears with speed string by simply taking the bottom screwes off the main gear with the coil.

Heavy gears would probably make the launcher much more sturdy and skip less.  Even if it gives the same rpm it's still unintended and personally if I had a rig with heavy gears and speed string it would probably give me a massive advantage.
(Aug. 01, 2017  7:29 AM)Wombat Wrote: I'm especially interested in what combo expert @[Angry Face] thinks of this, since he tinkers with his stuff quite a bit.

"combo expert"

LOL thanks

Maybe this won't surprise you then, but I actually made this very same proposal to the rest of the Committee not long after these launchers came out.

I was primarily interested in substituting the Heavy Version's shorter string with the Speed Version's longer string to create a BeyLauncher that combined the presumed extra durability of the Heavy Version's larger-toothed gears with the extra rotations offered by the Speed Version's longer string (... plus, I really liked the Heavy Version's casings and handle).

However, the conclusion we reached back then was that combining parts of different launchers to create one supposed super launcher would simply be unfair to all other players without one.

In your response to Kei, you compare not knowing if your opponent is using a modified Launcher to not knowing the balance of their combo or the condition of parts known for variable performance. However, players aren't allowed to disassemble the individual components of their Beyblades' parts and combine them with the components of other parts to create improved variants anyway. Not knowing if your opponent's Atomic is tighter than yours is more akin to not knowing if your opponent's launcher skips because those conditions are inherently related to the parts themselves, not due to any deliberate modifications.

Aesthetic modifications are one thing, but when functionality becomes affected, that's where I draw the line.