Proposal: Non-Contact Self-KO Ruled as “Own Finish”

Poll: How should such a change be implemented?

Default rules
56.06%
Ranked Clause
18.18%
Either default rules or Ranked Clause, no preference
21.21%
Do not want this change in the WBO
4.55%
Total: 100% 66 vote(s)
For their upcoming G2 tournament at Tobu Zoo on June 15th, Beyblade Battle Base (B4), the official Takara Tomy governing body, has introduced a new “Own Finish” rule.

https://beyblade.takaratomy.co.jp/beybla...p2024.html

The rule is as follows:
Quote:If an Over Finish or Xtreme Finish occurs without touching the opponent’s Bey after the battle has begun, it will instead be considered an “Own Finish” and the opponent receives 1 point. In the case of a 3-on-3 Battle, 1 point will be awarded and the battle will be restarted.

In other words, if no contact is made between Beyblades and you self-KO into an Over Finish or Xtreme Finish, it is instead ruled as an “Own Finish” which awards your opponent 1 point instead of 2 (Over) or 3 (Xtreme). The round is then repeated with the same Beyblades.

In the WBO, we currently treat self-KOs as regular Over and Xtreme Finishes. Losing 2 or 3 points can very quickly decide 4 point First Stage and 7 point Final Stage matches. This also means a normal round loss, which in certain formats such as "3on3" and "Deck Match" means moving onto the next Bey/changing Beys. From watching and hosting tournaments, this is also very anticlimactic for everyone involved and can feel terrible for both players. Furthermore, from initial testing of Hasbro’s stadiums, it seems that self-KOs are even more prevalent than Takara Tomy’s Xtreme Stadium.

Thus I would like to propose the following as either part of WBO’s default X rulebook, or as an optional Ranked Clause. It is the same as the Takara Tomy "Own Finish" rule, but worded to fit the rulebook's definitions and terminologies.

Quote:Non-Contact Self-KO Ruled as "Own Finish"

If a Beyblade:
  1. Makes contact with the Battle Zone of the stadium at least once OR is launched directly into an Over/Xtreme Zone
  2. AND is Knocked-Out into the Over/Xtreme Zone
  3. AND without making contact with the opposing Beyblade

The round ends, and the opponent receives 1 point. The round repeats with the same Beyblade.

Note 1: "Out-of-Bounds" (as in flying out of the top) was not included because that issue is covered elsewhere in the rulebook and Ranked Clauses (ruled as a Knockout (Ranked Clause) or as a draw (default)).

Note 2: Takara Tomy normally treats launching directly into the Over/Xtreme Zone as an Over/Xtreme Finish. This is reflected in the current WBO rules:

Quote:If a Beyblade is launched directly into an Over/Xtreme Zone instead, it is considered to be knocked-out.

However, Takara Tomy's "Own Finish" rule applies to launching directly into Over/Xtreme Zone as well. As in, the "Own Finish" rule changes launching directly into the Over/Xtreme Zones to count as an "Own Finish".

Note 3: I am aware some areas have a "gentleman’s agreement" in other formats (such as Burst) to treat self-KOs and launching directly into exits/pockets as draws. However, to keep this proposal focused and simple, I am proposing this solely for the X format, and specifically the 1 point penalty.
I am a fan of this rule as it makes playing first to 4 for either first or final stage at an event less punishing since people are always trying to hard launch in X most of the time. I also feel like this proposal will be most beneficial when the Hasbro X stadium comes out as it has been shown due to it not being as wide, its somewhat easier to self-ko in the extreme zone with the tradeoff being that attack performs slightly better.
Echoing Mr. Memes above, I think this is nice since it makes rounds less punishing if either player has the misfortune to launch themselves out of play- it sucks to win or lose on bad luck rather than skill. Ruling self-knockouts as simply redoes as per "gentlemen's rules" seems too lenient for something that can often be prevented with more launching practice, but ruling them exactly as over or Xtreme finishes seems too harsh when hard launching is common.
I think this is a great addition to the point values. Because of how valuable Knockout and Xtreme finishes are, it would be unfortunate to endure the penalty of said battle win conditions without your opponent actually touching you. Sure, you can prevent Self KO/Xtreme by launching softer but where's the fun in that?

However I do wonder. What happens in the case someone Own Finishes twice? Will there be a limit to how many times you can Own Finish?
(May. 23, 2024  8:40 AM)Cindercast Wrote: What happens in the case someone Own Finishes twice? Will there be a limit to how many times you can Own Finish?

For both B4 and WBO I don't see either organization capping the amount of Own Finishes, like the other Finishes. In the existing system, if you mess up your launch twice, you already lose the 4 point match. Messing up 4 times in a round isn't impossible, but also seems very unlikely.
I am all for this. I think this is a great way to manage self-KO's. As you mentioned, when they happen it can be fairly anticlimactic and takes away from the experience of the match. Especially as previously mentioned, with the Hasbro stadium being somewhat smaller dimensions, self KO's may be more likely and this rule would help with this.

So yeah, 100% down for this! Smile
I think it's a good middleground between the current 2-3 points for self-KOs, and having self-KOs count as a redo. Although to be honest, I don't think contactless self-KOs are too common? I think accidentally launching into a pocket, especially from the side of the stadium with the xtreme zone to your left, is something I've seen more often.

One thing I'd suggest adding to the ruling (unless it's already covered by the round repeating) is that the stadium should not be rotated after an Own Finish.
(May. 23, 2024  10:29 AM)BladerGem Wrote: One thing I'd suggest adding to the ruling (unless it's already covered by the round repeating) is that the stadium should not be rotated after an Own Finish.

I think this would be covered by the "Round repeating" part of the rule, as the stadium is rotated after each round. So since the round isn't moving onto the next one and is instead being repeated, the stadium wouldn't move. 

But I do agree, this small detail should probably be stipulated in the ruling just to make sure it's obvious.
Honestly, I agree. I'm tired of seeing matches lost completely due to self-KOs. I don't do them quite as much anymore, but it still hurts when it happens.
As the self-designated King of Quake, having something that'd make me not lose immediately for jumping into the pockets sounds like a very good idea. I hope this becomes popular enough that it becomes a staple.
I’m all for this as it doesn’t punish new players as hard. It can help to not discourage them from playing anymore just because they can’t keep their hand steady yet. I also am an advocate that the WBOs base rules should be the exact same as TTs with organizers having the option of adjusting their tournaments to how they see fit.
I like it and think it’s a good decision to add to the rules either default or clause. I have my first tournament hosting coming on the 25th this month and will keep an eye out for any official changes up until the start time. Thanks Kio
Not trying to be salty here, but I’ve lost way too many matches from not even my bey throwing itself out, but accidentally launching directly into one of the pockets.

Lack of self-control aside, having something like this would promote more aggressive-focused play(something that I think we all believe is very welcome) without the risk of costing an entire match because of something that might have been outside of your control.
(May. 23, 2024  4:35 AM)KIO Wrote: For their upcoming G2 tournament at Tobu Zoo on June 15th, Beyblade Battle Base (B4), the official Takara Tomy governing body, has introduced a new “Own Finish” rule.

https://beyblade.takaratomy.co.jp/beybla...p2024.html

The rule is as follows:
Quote:If an Over Finish or Xtreme Finish occurs without touching the opponent’s Bey after the battle has begun, it will instead be considered an “Own Finish” and the opponent receives 1 point. In the case of a 3-on-3 Battle, 1 point will be awarded and the battle will be restarted.

In other words, if no contact is made between Beyblades and you self-KO into an Over Finish or Xtreme Finish, it is instead ruled as an “Own Finish” which awards your opponent 1 point instead of 2 (Over) or 3 (Xtreme). The round is then repeated with the same Beyblades.

In the WBO, we currently treat self-KOs as regular Over and Xtreme Finishes. Losing 2 or 3 points can very quickly decide 4 point First Stage and 7 point Final Stage matches. This also means a normal round loss, which in certain formats such as "3on3" and "Deck Match" means moving onto the next Bey/changing Beys. From watching and hosting tournaments, this is also very anticlimactic for everyone involved and can feel terrible for both players. Furthermore, from initial testing of Hasbro’s stadiums, it seems that self-KOs are even more prevalent than Takara Tomy’s Xtreme Stadium.

Thus I would like to propose the following as either part of WBO’s default X rulebook, or as an optional Ranked Clause. It is the same as the Takara Tomy "Own Finish" rule, but worded to fit the rulebook's definitions and terminologies.

Quote:Non-Contact Self-KO Ruled as "Own Finish"

If a Beyblade:
  1. Makes contact with the Battle Zone of the stadium at least once OR is launched directly into an Over/Xtreme Zone
  2. AND is Knocked-Out into the Over/Xtreme Zone
  3. AND without making contact with the opposing Beyblade

The round ends, and the opponent receives 1 point. The round repeats with the same Beyblade.

Note 1: "Out-of-Bounds" (as in flying out of the top) was not included because that issue is covered elsewhere in the rulebook and Ranked Clauses (ruled as a Knockout (Ranked Clause) or as a draw (default)).

Note 2: Takara Tomy normally treats launching directly into the Over/Xtreme Zone as an Over/Xtreme Finish. This is reflected in the current WBO rules:

Quote:If a Beyblade is launched directly into an Over/Xtreme Zone instead, it is considered to be knocked-out.

However, Takara Tomy's "Own Finish" rule applies to launching directly into Over/Xtreme Zone as well. As in, the "Own Finish" rule changes launching directly into the Over/Xtreme Zones to count as an "Own Finish".

Note 3: I am aware some areas have a "gentleman’s agreement" in other formats (such as Burst) to treat self-KOs and launching directly into exits/pockets as draws. However, to keep this proposal focused and simple, I am proposing this solely for the X format, and specifically the 1 point penalty.

FINALLY! This idea is genius, I recommend we use it for both ranked and default. I am aware of the doubts for ranked, but this would greatly increase the general spirit of the tournaments.
(May. 24, 2024  1:03 AM)RalfBalf Wrote: Not trying to be salty here, but I’ve lost way too many matches from not even my bey throwing itself out, but accidentally launching directly into one of the pockets.

Lack of self-control aside, having something like this would promote more aggressive-focused play(something that I think we all believe is very welcome) without the risk of costing an entire match because of something that might have been outside of your control.

Sameee I've lost a couple times to that
This shouldn't be a discussion in the first place. Takara Tomy's rules should always be the default rules. We are playing their game. Respect the game creators.
(May. 25, 2024  6:59 AM)versusENDEV Wrote: This shouldn't be a discussion in the first place. Takara Tomy's rules should always be the default rules. We are playing their game. Respect the game creators.

As someone who has been to both B4 and WBO tournaments, and various other TCGs, it is close-minded to assume a corporation always has the players' best interests in mind. Game balance is not the priority, profitability is. By this logic, should Hasbro's "rules" be the default? Beyblade has been a joint venture since Burst, with Hasbro adapting aspects for the North American audience. Most WBO players are not playing in Takara Tomy regions, so Hasbro's WotC rules should take priority in that case.

It's not like Takara Tomy has been historically consistent across regions either, because much like other TCGs, they have regional banlists and rules. Even now, this rule applies to 1 tournament in Japan only, and the pool of usable parts depends on which Takara Tomy region you live in.

Don't forget that this is the same company who left almost everything unbanned during Metal and Burst, and only banned Deathscythers long after they were relevant.

Don't forget that this is same company that banned Spriggan Requiem in half their regions, because "Takara Tomy" is not a singular entity that releases only 1 consistent ruleset. Takara Tomy has historically made questionable calls regarding game balance (ex. competitive matches in gimmick stadiums), or done absolutely nothing at all (ex. adverse to part bans). Rarely does the Bey Dev Team (the actual "creators" in Takara Tomy and Hasbro) have a say in game balance.

A fan run organization is fundamentally different from a corporation running events and advertisements for product. If you play in Takara Tomy funded events, of course there's an expectation to play by whatever rules they make.

If we're running our own tournament and paying out of pocket for others to play, why should we be constrained by a corporation who has frankly never cared what we did or didn't do?

We have the luxury to pick and choose what works. While this Own Finish rule has been well received in Japan, the response to the tentative "Limited Rule" for 1on1 matches is mixed. We also have the luxury of adapting aspects of Takara Tomy rules to fit in situations that they would've never thought of, such as the usage of Hasbro equipment.
Read again, I said "default rule". Does it mean perma rule and you can't apply your so called ranked clauses over it? Anyone is free to add their own twist, even I am guilty of doing it sometimes. But at the end of the day and I will say it again, Takara Tomy's rules should always be the default rule. There should always be a common ground and that should be from the game creators.

You started this with a poll asking if it should be a default rule. Now, you are the one steering away from the topic when I simply replied based on your set poll boundaries of making it as a default rule? 🤣

It's nice to see that the poll shows majority understands what a default rule means.
This makes a lot of sense and honestly could even be somewhat necessary when playing in a Hasbro stadium
(May. 26, 2024  1:52 AM)versusENDEV Wrote: Read again, I said "default rule". Does it mean perma rule and you can't apply your so called ranked clauses over it? Anyone is free to add their own twist, even I am guilty of doing it sometimes. But at the end of the day and I will say it again, Takara Tomy's rules should always be the default rule. There should always be a common ground and that should be from the game creators.

You started this with a poll asking if it should be a default rule. Now, you are the one steering away from the topic when I simply replied based on your set poll boundaries of making it as a default rule? 🤣

It's nice to see that the poll shows majority understands what a default rule means.

I did read your post, so kindly read mine's in its entirety. I am also for making the Own Finish rule a default WBO rule. The default WBO rules, as written in the rulebooks, should reflect what the majority of WBO players want.

I was criticizing your attitude of immediately shutting down any discussion because Takara Tomy should be "respected", a mindset that comes from ignorance of key information, which was included in my response for your convenience.

Your reasoning for "Takara Tomy's rules should always be the default rule" is ignorant of the fact that there is no 1 consistent ruleset from Takara Tomy, which I also mentioned in my response. The "Own Finish" rule is not one of Takara Tomy's "default" rules in Japan.

"Takara Tomy's rules" sounds simple until you actually look into what "Takara Tomy's rules" are, which in reality is "it depends and varies a lot". Takara Tomy Japan is running the Own Finish rule for only 1 tournament as of writing, and WBO players clearly want it to be the default in the WBO.

Analyzing context is required to understand why individual Takara Tomy rules exist. Some of them make sense for Takara Tomy but do not make sense for WBO players. An example that shows why blindly following Takara Tomy's rulebook as the "default" is not a good idea is this: Takara Tomy tournaments in Japan can have a large number of participants, so they run 1on1 Single Elimination with no Swiss. Nobody in the WBO runs 1on1 Single Elimination because it doesn't make sense when your local guy is hosting 12 people instead of 120 people. If:

1. This shouldn't be a discussion in the first place.
  2. Takara Tomy's rules should always be the default rules.
  3. We are playing their game. Respect the game creators.

Then our hypothetical default rules should be 1on1 Single Elimination. Which you can probably agree, makes no sense; WBO Organizers, quite reasonably, prefer to play Round Robin or Swiss when it's only 12 people, otherwise the tournament would be over in less than an hour. By making the default rules contrary to what the majority of WBO players play, WBO Organizers have to do extra work posting and explaining Ranked Clauses, for no benefit. A new player would read the WBO rulebook, which would list the default rule of 1on1 Single Elimination, and then it has to be explained that nobody actually uses the rule, and that it is only there because people in Tokyo play it like that, because they have 120 people tournaments.

At the end of the day and I will say it again, what the majority of WBO players want should be the default WBO rules. Ranked Clauses should exist for the minority to play whatever "twist" they want to spend time and energy writing and explaining.
Having now played in an unrranked event using the own finish rule, I am even more for this
(Jun. 10, 2024  5:08 AM)Garishi Wrote: Having now played in an unrranked event using the own finish rule, I am even more for this

We've now tried the "Own Finish" rule at a couple tournaments and received a positive response. The poll also shows the "Own Finish" rule is what the majority of WBO Organizers and players want to play.