Oct-07-2023: "SuperStar Card Gaming Local Tournament 10/07" reports

The following are words I have to say about "SuperStar Card Gaming Local Tournament 10/07", an unranked X tournament using 3v3 format for first stage and 3v3 format for finals.

I recommend the following music for reading the report. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6PNc9KN50M . You've probably never heard it. Your parents have. And it's appropriate.

- I haven't done a tournament report in a while. First off, I haven't been to a tournament in a while, September was kind of sparse, the tournament I wanted to attend something came up and I had to withdraw. But also, I don't get a whole lot out of doing these sometimes. Most people don't read them or comment in any significant way. So I will do them sporadically, when I feel like it.

- The weather was indoors. Rainy when I got there, sunny when I left. Superstar Cardgaming did some interior restructuring, now you access it directly from the parking lot, and there's more space, and actually it's kind of labyrinthine. Complete with Goblin King, although I never match Jareth's... uh.... anything.

- We had 20 participants today, making this a 5 round swiss. Everyone got to play at least 5 times. No drops, no tiebreakers.

- The seeding was random again. Not ideal, but we don't have any sort of working X rankings yet.

- I enjoy the hell out of X. It is perhaps tied with Zero-G as my favorite format. When I first got into Beyblade, I assumed there was very little you could control and that it would be chaos. But in Burst, there's a lot you can control, a lot you can strategize, and your decisions make a difference. Less so in X. You can do everything right and still lose. You can put together an amazing attack bey but contactless self-KO for 3 points right at the start of the match. You can get KOed... by Wizard Arrow on a stamina tip. It's chaos. I love that.

- Other people are starting not to love that. We have a lot of self-described competitive players in the mid-Atlantic region, people who during Burst would test and balance and practice and strategize their launches. And X is absolutely killing their spirit. This song goes out to them! I've seen it today, it's really fraying their enthusiasm. They love Beyblade, but right now X feels like random chance and total chaos to them.

- When we die roll or coin flip to let one of the players choose the stadium orientation, most bladers don't have an opinion on whether or not they want to be left or right of the toothed belt divot. Many don't think it makes a difference. I don't think it does. Others do. I'd love to know what people think the correct strategy for picking stadium facing is.

- CrisisCrusher07 is trying to keep the rules as close to how WBBA does it for X, so that means 3v3 for first stage (we can't reasonably do 5G just yet, X only recently started having 5 blades) and that also means 3v3 for finals. Honestly, I personally dislike deck format, but other people dislike the lack of strategy in 3v3 finals.

- We started around 12:25. We never really start on time. But we were done with finals by 2. If the first stage is 3v3 and the final stage is 3v3, no one needs a break or to make huge changes to their beys before finals, so we just kept doing matches. The whole tournament took only about an hour and a half. We were running 4 beystadiums for 20 bladers, so it went very fast.

- I did a lot of judging today. One of the four beystadiums running was usually me judging.

- We had a lot of everything happening today. We had people running stamina, and getting outspin wins. We had a lot of people running attack, and getting Over and Extreme Finishes. And we had a lot of bursts. I like how X is more bursty than Burst was. We even had Entry Hole KO ties. And dual over KOs. And Burst Priority KOs. It's chaotic, and quick, and fun. And there's way less strategy. There's just... a LOT going on in that stadium and rather being a circular bowl, there's inner ridges and toothed belts causing CHAOS.

- These beys deteriorate RAPIDLY. I've seen ratchet pieces go flying, tips getting scratches, blades wearing down. The quality control on these beys is terrible. It's just so chaotic and destructive. Keep an eye in the stadium for debris!

- My 3v3 lineup wasn't terribly creative, just terribly effective. Hell Scythe 3-80T, because it's a good attack tip, a height that exists, and a good attack blade. It's actually great at attack AND stamina. Dran Sword 3-60LF. Low flat is solid, no gap. It goes Fast. No point in angle launching, it's not rubber. It's either going to KO/Burst them or it's going to lose, but it does work well. And Wizard Arrow 4-80B. I never expected the Stamina blade to be good defense, but here we are. I don't have a Shark Edge, I couldn't run 3 attack types. What would I even put on it, Flat? Yes.

- I did exceptionally well in the first stage, which is to say that the bey gods smiled on me and it didn't really have anything to do with strategy. I had 3 wins in a row, one loss to Friedpasta, and then another win.

- My final match was one of the most tricky. I started by self-KOing extreme finish, so it was 0-3. An inauspicious start when you're going first to 4! But then I got a burst on them, following by an Over KO, so that was a good recovery.

- No one went undefeated. We had 4 people with 4-1, and oddly enough I was seeded first. Unusual!

- In the finals, we used 3v3, going to 4 points.

- My first finals opponent was CrisisCrusher07. X is a crazy format and I beat him. I didn't change my beys at all.

- My second finals opponent was Dragreus111. I managed to defeat him again. This sends crab to the finals???

- My final opponent was Friedpasta. He's the one who gave me my one loss in first stage. And my loss in finals! Well done!

- Friedpasta got 1st place! I got 2nd place! The Supreme One, 3rd place. Dragreus111, 4th. Not bad for my second X tournament!

- I earned store credit. Yay!

- I'm looking forward to more X tournaments. They are so good. So fun. I am alone in this, everyone else seems despondent about how silly and chaotic the format is.

- Consider changing the points for KOs, and consider making exceptions for self-KOs giving opponents points. Or don't, do nothing, see how quickly the competitive scene burns out, you do you. Grin

X is a lot of fun. I love X.
An addendum to the tournament report:

- Bladers, you are sometimes stinky. Don't be stinky at tournaments. If you are in a location where there may be central heating, or it's a month in summer or spring or even fall, you are liable to sweat. If you are over the age of 12, it's going to make a terrible stink, some worse than others. Use deodorant, or please stay away from public spaces and events.

- Sometimes people don't have clean homes. I don't! I admit this. My home is a disaster zone. But, even so, I am obligated to perform clothes laundry, and wear clean clothes to public spaces and events. That's just basic rules for public spaces. If you are not willing or not able to wear clean clothes, free of any unwholesome scents, then please stay away from public spaces and events.

- I have a bad sense of smell. I don't pick up on this sort of thing. One of my fellow organizers notified me about a smell issue I was causing some months ago. In response, I made sure to wear deodorant, have several backup deodorants in different locations, and make sure not to cause this sort of issue again. So far, I haven't had additional complaints about stinky ol Crabbo.

- There were stinky problems on Saturday's tournament. I didn't notice, my sense of smell is bad. But other people noticed. Bladers complained, parents complained, and even the venue was irritated. There are new rules in place for tournaments at Superstar Cardgaming going forward: "Attention all players!! Please make sure you shower and use deodorant before playing in any events. If you do not, you may be asked to leave." They're not kidding around. Neither the venue nor the organizers are going to tolerate a repeat of Saturday's Stench.

Stop being stinky at tournaments!
“A height that exists” hahaha

I have to say I’m with you on X! I have only played in one tournament so far and I was using a loaner deck as I didn’t have enough X beys of my own at that time, but I really enjoyed myself! I had already formed a lot of opinions about those stock combos and how to use them by the end of it. I do have to concede that strategy now seems less precise and more wibbly wobbly than it was in burst or MFB, but it’s definitely still there. Seems like we’ve gone from Street Fighter II to Smash Bros, or Grand Turismo to Mario Kart. And I love those goofy games. I can’t wait to play more of X
It is nice to see HellsScythe 3-80T in a champ lineup since it was one of my higher rated combos on my last statistics breakdown. It's a riskier combo that's why it is overshadowed by a safer option of HellsScythe on Ball which for me is currently the safest combo to use.

Regarding on self KO, launching is something that can be controlled and using a risky combo is by choice. I don't agree on giving free pass on players that chose to use aggressive combos that launches them out of control. If it hits, it can KO the opponent while if it miss and results to self KO then they will have another chance to try it again. I don't want to reward someone who don't practice their launch whom have chosen to use a risky combo in the first place. It should be "your error, your loss" and not try again when you made a mistake. Mastery is part of competitive play. If you are just playing casually with your friends, sure, free pass is not an issue..