Next Gen Hardware Predictions

Basicly im making this thread to see what you all think the next generation of video game consoles hardware will be like.

Post your predictions.
Pfft. I have no idea. Though it would be funny if Sony or Microsoft tried to do something 'new and out there' to fight against the Wii.
I hope they don't though. Not unless they make a serious console as well.
The day that all console manufacturers try to become mainstream with stupid gimmicks is the day I stop playing video games.
(Dec. 10, 2008  10:59 PM)To Wrote: The day that all console manufacturers try to become mainstream with stupid gimmicks is the day I stop playing video games.

Gasp. That's blasphemy [/sarcasim] lol

I have no idea what our next gen will be like. I though this gen was pretty revolutionary in itself.
ps4 and 720 (lol just guessing the names) will improve a little bit, but not too much, which is okay because graphics on some top titles right now are close to perfection

wii2 will have graphics that are somewhere between ps2/xbox and ps3/360

wii3 will finally have full hd graphics
i dont want to think about next generation for another like three or four years

this gen just got good
(Dec. 11, 2008  12:07 AM)Artie Wrote: i dont want to think about next generation for another like three or four years

this gen just got good

Agreed.

I think we still have a lot of time left in this generation, I'm not even thinking about what's going to come next.
Wii2D2 will talk back to you and basically be the new version of ROB.
PS4 will turn into a sackboy.
XBOX 180 will include less RRODs.
Virtual reality probably. I was talking to friends today and I dunno if it's even possible (probably not with today's technology) but with gloves that could somehow have mechanisms to push in on your hands with different plate things you could simulate touching things. I seriously doubt it would be too realistic though due to textures and stuff not being possible but it would be a start.

I always used to think virtual reality would be sad but can you imagine yourself BEING link running through the land of hyrule or running around weilding a gun in halo? God, it would be AWESOME. I was trying to come up with a way you could run without running into IRL walls and stuff like an idiot but all I could think of was some board that would have a sort of treadmill thing in it that could turn in any direction and would do so when you ran around on it, keeping you in the same position (if that makes sense).

Sorry for the long post, hope SOMEONE reads it. Wink

Btw, considering all the WoW addicts at the moment, virtual reality would probably be SERIOUSLY addicting. =/
Nintendo is really intent on getting you to get up and be interactive hands-on with the games. They also seem to be more selling to a wider audience (or, rather, making this something like a 'family' console).

Sony seems to be intent on giving the Playstation line multimedia capabilities (Personally, I think they're focusing too much on making Playstation multimedia rather than a gaming system first, but that's just me). This includes music, video, and internet access capabilities.

Microsoft is also focusing on multimedia, but from my (minimal) understanding, they're focusing on the games more than it's other features.

I'm thinking that Microsoft and Nintendo will continue to further what they're focusing on now, while Sony will continue to try to be an all-purpose console, along with trying to mimic its rivals.

Also, playing games against people all over the world with online gaming is a big focus for all three, and will probably have big impacts on Generation 8.
nintendo's next generation console will forego the disguise and just charge you money every time you turn the system on
(Dec. 11, 2008  12:27 AM)Pikachao Wrote: Virtual reality probably.

I think there will be 2 more generations of consoles like we know them now, then virtual reality will take off.
I don't think VR is going to happen anytime soon, if at all.

Its impractical and kind of stupid to be honest. But who knows, it could happen.
i'm not sure i want to experience being shot at in a lifelike environment
(Dec. 11, 2008  4:37 AM)Roan Wrote: I don't think VR is going to happen anytime soon, if at all.

Its impractical and kind of stupid to be honest. But who knows, it could happen.

It will happen. Graphics can only get so good. Something is going to have to progress video gaming.
(Dec. 11, 2008  4:44 AM)Maz Wrote:
(Dec. 11, 2008  4:37 AM)Roan Wrote: I don't think VR is going to happen anytime soon, if at all.

It will happen. Graphics can only get so good. Something is going to have to progress video gaming.

the nintendo ... revolution?
(Dec. 11, 2008  4:44 AM)Maz Wrote: Something is going to have to progress video gaming.

carp motion controls with ps2 graphics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I realize this is about hardware but I'm interested to see where the Source Engine (or whatever evolution) will be in 10 years. Or 20.
Unreal Engine 3.

I wonder if it will still exist next generation (As URE 4) or if something else will usurp it.
(Dec. 11, 2008  4:42 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: i'm not sure i want to experience being shot at in a lifelike environment

If virtual reality is ever good enough to produce lifelike environments where you're getting shot at, I'm sold.
I know this impossible, but what if Sega comes back with a console? That'll be awesome.
i believe that nintendo will focus on more motion scensing and they will improve the graphics alot,while the ps3 and the 360 will try to make more games for casual gamers cuz they saw how nintendo is gaining alot of money from the casual gamers,maybe they will add motion scensing also!
(Dec. 12, 2008  4:42 PM)shikamaru526 Wrote: I know this impossible, but what if Sega comes back with a console? That'll be awesome.
Until it actually happens
I don't think Sega has the ability to do that anymore. If you watched this history on the two companies, Sega kind of got ran out of buisness. It would be cool to see the Sega Saturn X though lol