NFL Football

ahahahahaha
so does anyone have any questions about football
Why is it called football when there is little to no foot involved?

(I'm being entirely serious. I've never understood the term.)
I used to play football often. My dad made me stop playing because I kept coming home with marks on my body.
Bey Brad Wrote:no

leave

ryan:
Quote:Some might say, simply, "because they kick the football."

But the real story is deeper. The origin of American football is in the history of the world's most popular sport: soccer. When soccer -- more universally known as "football" (which of course makes sense because soccer players use their feet) -- players decided to change their centuries-old game with restrictions such as the no-use-of- hand rules, people who disliked this broke away to create rugby. In the states we have created our own version of the game under the same old name "football" with more of a rugby style, the whole time forgetting why we call it that.

Here are other answers:

American football is a derivative of rugby football, and while the feet are used more often in rugby than on the gridiron, much of the game is still played by handling the ball. Both variations are still considered football.
North America style football didn't used to allow the "forward pass" and much more of the play involved foot work, such as the "drop kick" and the running punt kick. In the first rules, only the " side pass" was allowed, as long as the two players were side by side, with no forward motion of the ball, similar to rugby rules. The Canadian Football League ( CFL ) still allows a drop kick to score a field goal, and also has a thing called a "rouge" when the kicker is able to kick the ball thru the end zone, so it lands out of play , it is worth 2 points. Both the NFL and the CFL still have the drop-kick available as a weapon - on the point-after-touchdown, or from the field for 3 points. The "rouge" is worth a single point here in Canada.

Or essentially, it's a form of rugby where feet where used more often
Played it once or twice with no equipment on. Near killed me because I did a spiral pile driver head first into the rough ground and I had a MONSTER headache So that made me stop. Seems rather barbaric to me.
Ozuma Wrote:Seems rather barbaric to me.

It really is. That's why Americans eat that carp up.
have you ever seen rugby? it's even worse haha

i don't play much football myself (i'd get killed), but i loooove watching it. it seems very simple, but it really isnt
Artie Wrote:have you ever seen rugby? it's even worse haha

i don't play much football myself (i'd get killed), but i loooove watching it. it seems very simple, but it really isnt

I was born in the U.K. and a close friend of me was on the rugby team so yes I have. But Football is all about taking blows by HUGE people and seeing if you can go on. Gaining ground is the basis of it. The point at the end thing isn't the biggest thing, but it's what people wanna see most of the time when you kick it FINALLY. It's more or less war toned down to a game level. You attack a side and try to gain ground until you claim it all. I think it's interesting in that respect, but it is barbaric the way the "battle" is played out.
but isn't any sort of game 'war' toned down? hell chess is essentially war

im not trying to refute any of the points you've made. i just don't see how its more barbaric than any other professional sport (of if you mean barbaric, 'physical')
Artie Wrote:but isn't any sort of game 'war' toned down? hell chess is essentially war

im not trying to refute any of the points you've made. i just don't see how its more barbaric than any other professional sport (of if you mean barbaric, 'physical')

No I meant barbaric. You can't smash the carp out of someone in Soccer and Baseball isn't war at all You catch stuff and throw it at a teammate to stop someone. There is no territory involved in either. Okay Soccer a little territory with the goals, but there are rules that dictate things a little better.

Golf isn't war it's trying to hit something into a designated spot.

Understand a bit better now?
Ozuma Wrote:
Artie Wrote:but isn't any sort of game 'war' toned down? hell chess is essentially war

No I meant barbaric. You can't smash the carp out of someone in Soccer and Baseball isn't war at all You catch stuff and throw it at a teammate to stop someone. There is no territory involved in either. Okay Soccer a little territory with the goals, but there are rules that dictate things a little better.

Golf isn't war it's trying to hit something into a designated spot.

Understand a bit better now?

I understand your points, but baseball and golf probably shouldn't be compared because they aren't that similar.

I'll concede on the point that it is more barbaric compared to soccer.

but im just an amurican who wants to see violence lolo
Like most sports, I prefer to play it rather than watch it.
Artie Wrote:hey they can like the game where you hit-your-knee-and-you're-in-agonizing pain-soccer

but get the carp out of my thread with it. make your own soccer thread

this is what happens when someone gets hit in the knee in football
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tC_c_71Cbcg

(real graphic btw, so don't watch if you can't take it or whatever)
my point was that many soccer plays exaggerate their injuries to get the other player carded. of course real injuries happen...

so not really seeing the point of the video you linked...
Artie Wrote:my point was that many soccer plays exaggerate their injuries to get the other player carded. of course real injuries happen...

so not really seeing the point of the video you linked...

you said "hit in the knee", that's the only known case of a player being tackled in the knee
soccer sucks because:

1. field is too big
2. net is too big
Bey Brad Wrote:soccer sucks because:

1. field is too big
2. net is too big

thats why soccer is cool b/c

1.you need stamina to run around the big fields
2.the goalies needs serious skills to stop the ball
3.and if your good and get to play for top clubs in europe you will get paid millions
4. whole bunch of other reasons

but yeah we all have our own opinions
Brad thats pretty dumb.

I like both really, though i'd say soccer is raw-er. Played both, but really I'll never understand why American Football has "foot" in it, field goals, kick return and conversion aren't enough.
BSZK Wrote:Brad thats pretty dumb.

thank you for your well thought out rebuttal
BSZK Wrote:Brad thats pretty dumb.

I like both really, though i'd say soccer is raw-er. Played both, but really I'll never understand why American Football has "foot" in it, field goals, kick return and conversion aren't enough.

yeea!
artie's going to kill us
Bey Brad Wrote:artie's going to kill us

haha