My Little Pony

Because it's not even officially released yet ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Little_...eason_5%29
(Oct. 17, 2015  7:30 PM)MissingNo. Wrote: Because it's not even officially released yet ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Little_...eason_5%29

Uh, what? Today's episode, S5E19 "The One Where Pinkie Pie Knows", is scheduled for October 17 - today. I literally just watched it.

Season 6 is pretty much confirmed at this point, and I seem to recall seeing a news article saying it's scheduled to run for at least 3 more.

Episode discussion ahead, beware of spoilers!
To be honest, Twilicorn wasn't a ruination to me either. I personally find Twilight Sparkle looks all the more adorable with those wings, and with that, now the mane 6's flyers vs no flyers (i.e those who can and can't fly) ratio is balanced. (Fluttershy, Twilight and Rainbow Dash can fly whereas Rarity, Applejack and Pinkie Pie can't unless they have outside-sources wings like Rarity in Sonic Rainboom, or use/enlist the help of magic.

My dissapointment was when Princess Celestia gets trumped by Chrysalis, 3 seasons ago. To be honest, I expect a rematch with the opposite outcome in the future, though I can understand why Celestia lost:

-Ignoring Twilight's warning, therefore preventing a timely intervention.
-She was holding back, because using her full capabilities could spell danger to her subjects: Case in point: compare the army-buster-spell she used against Chrysalis in the comics vs the one she used in the show.
- Chrysalis was not only struggling against her at one point in the fight, no one including her expected to win.

That episode made me joke as to why weddings always go horribly wrong in fiction.

tbh, Pinkie is my least favorite of the Mane 6. She feels too much energetic even for someone like me, and her mane-style (no pun intended) sucks. She is also (albeit unwittingly/accidentally) responsible for several of the complications and other such events (See Luna Eclipsed, Green Isn't Your Color, Filli Vanili for examples). But I still like her better than, say, someone like Starlight Glimmer or Tirek.

Still three more seasons before I need to "take up arms" (no, not the violent kind, it's a metaphor I used for "start worrying about the future") again then, at the very least.
(Oct. 18, 2015  7:06 PM)RDF3 Wrote: To be honest, Twilicorn wasn't a ruination to me either. I personally find Twilight Sparkle looks all the more adorable with those wings, and with that, now the mane 6's flyers vs no flyers (i.e those who can and can't fly) ratio is balanced. (Fluttershy, Twilight and Rainbow Dash can fly whereas Rarity, Applejack and Pinkie Pie can't unless they have outside-sources wings like Rarity in Sonic Rainboom, or use/enlist the help of magic.
The only fandom drama I've been caught up in is with the first Equestria Girls movie. It was blatantly a push by Hasbro to compete with the Monster High dolls, and I was not at all happy about what appeared to be a High School Musical-flavored cash grab that was pretty much completely out of the blue plot-wise. Flash Sentry didn't make things any better, and with Sunset Shimmer being basically an evil Twilight clone (Seriously, they are both Celestia's students, are pretty much the same age, and their names are synonyms) really killed whatever hopes I had for the movie.

However, with such low expectations, I was actually pleasantly surprised when I didn't completely hate Equestria Girls. Sure, there are tons of cringeworthy or just plain weird parts and the pacing is all wrong, but the premise was fairly interesting and made for some good humor. Also, the songs were great and extremely catchy.
Jump up, make a sound - *HEY!* Clap your hooves, turn around...

Rainbow Rocks was a whole lot better and actually made me start to enjoy the EG spinoff series. Friendship Games was meh, though. I'm eagerly anticipating the fourth movie, but I would really prefer candy-colored horses over candy-colored humans. We will just have to wait until 2017 for that...

(Oct. 18, 2015  7:06 PM)RDF3 Wrote: My dissapointment was when Princess Celestia gets trumped by Chrysalis, 3 seasons ago. To be honest, I expect a rematch with the opposite outcome in the future, though I can understand why Celestia lost:

-Ignoring Twilight's warning, therefore preventing a timely intervention.
-She was holding back, because using her full capabilities could spell danger to her subjects: Case in point: compare the army-buster-spell she used against Chrysalis in the comics vs the one she used in the show.
- Chrysalis was not only struggling against her at one point in the fight, no one including her expected to win.
My personal headcanon here is that Celestia became stuck casting the beam spell - she couldn't stop to change to a more powerful spell because her beam was the only thing blocking Chrysalis', and casting the spell at that power level was consuming too much focus and/or magic to seamlessly make the switch. I would definitely agree that she chose the death laser in the first place to minimize collateral damage, as opposed to just obliterating a bunch of stuff in a room full of not-so-immortal citizens.

(Oct. 18, 2015  7:06 PM)RDF3 Wrote: tbh, Pinkie is my least favorite of the Mane 6. She feels too much energetic even for someone like me, and her mane-style (no pun intended) sucks. She is also (albeit unwittingly/accidentally) responsible for several of the complications and other such events (See Luna Eclipsed, Green Isn't Your Color, Filli Vanili for examples). But I still like her better than, say, someone like Starlight Glimmer or Tirek.
Pinkie can really be hit-or-miss; she's definitely earned her reputation as the hardest character to write for. If she's too sedate, it's out of character, but if she's wild and spastic non-stop, it's really annoying. I didn't like her either when I started watching the show, but right now I don't mind her so much.

Some episodes where I think Pinkie is at a happy medium between the two extremes:
S1E15 "Feeling Pinkie Keen" - Not really a Pinkie Pie episode, since it's more focused on Twilight, but Pinkie doesn't seem over-the-top during her appearances. She's in character and funny.
S2E14 "The Last Roundup" - Again, not a dedicated episode, but Pinkie is important to the plot, where she is actually useful because she's annoying.
S2E24 "MMMystery on the Friendship Express" - I think that Pinkie is often at her best when she's trying to be serious. Being serious also tends to cut down on the shrieking (almost typed "shreking" lol), which is also good.
S3E3 "Too Many Pinkie Pies" - Pinkie Pie manages to annoy herself. Another more serious episode (for the real Pinkie at least; her clones, not so much).
S4E12 "Pinkie Pride" - Again, a more serious episode. Pinkie's antics are also somewhat constrained due to the episode being a musical - she can be quirky and random, but it all fits into the song and keeps things interesting.

I also liked Pinkie in "Maud Pie", "Power Ponies", and "Pinkie Apple Pie". Though, I would have to agree with you that there are some episodes where the entire scenario is pretty much Pinkie's fault - she's been causing problems since "Bridle Gossip".

Pinie rating higher than the show's resident communist dictator and tyrannical magic-eating colossus is a pretty low bar to reach, haha.
Yeah, imagine if it was Luna. From what I know, Luna has much less qualms about showing off her power so Chrysalis would likely not win against her, especially if Luna didn't make that critical mistake Celestia did (i.e ignoring Twilight's warning). Though this can be at a cost of a few casualties.

Oh right, the candy-colored humans thing was why I didn't really get into Equestria Girls. I have to say though, if only school allowed you hair colors like THAT.
Always preferred shy, awkward ponies like Twilight, Fluttershy and Luna (and as a side bonus, all three look absolutely adorable/cute) over cheery ones like Pinkie, so that's just me. What about Rainbow Dash and Rarity tho?
If Twilight's battle against Tirek is any indication, the problem is less of "not enough power" and more of "not using enough power". I would agree that Luna would be much more likely to go all-out on Chrysalis, especially since, unlike Celestia, the public doesn't expect her to solve the problem perfectly and cleanly.

Equestrian Girls breaks so many school rules... No pets, no unnatural hair dyes, no riding scooters in the hall, no standing on cafeteria tables, no demonic possession of fellow students, and a bunch of dress code violations. Random songs are also probably frowned upon in most schools as well.

I've always found Twilight and Fluttershy to be the most relatable (and adorable) of the main six. AJ has been quietly holding third place for a while, and Pinkie is usually after her. Rarity is my least favorite of the six, mostly because of her tendency to be a drama queen, and also because she has a very different opinion on aesthetics than I do. Rainbow Dash can be a brash little twerp, but can also be a very interesting and entertaining character. Those aren't mutually exclusive, either, haha. She has also seen a lot of character development lately, which is great. Rainbow is probably tied for third with Applejack right now. Pinkie is generally in fourth place, because although she's funny and interesting, her episodes seem less meaningful because they are always crammed with jokes.
Yeah, a school like the one in Equestria Girls might have much looser rules, or the students are much less keen on obeying them. In my country at least, all school students must paint their hair black, so no candy colored hair, let alone candy-colored skin. That could just freak out everyone.

Chrysalis' only mistake that cost her Equestria: gloating, a common villain fault. Arc. Mengsk from Starcraft 2 gloated twice and paid the price twice: the first time it was broadcasted by Raynor to the Dominion public, causing rioting and dropping approval rates for Mengsk. The second time, it saved Kerrigan's life when Raynor bursts in, choke-holds Mengsk and throws him clear across the room. Kerrigan then gives him what he saw coming a long time ago. I wonder if Chrysalis has ever seen the guide-book to be a proper villain XD.

Luna is clearly very terrifying for Ponyville, especially her evil persona Nightmare Moon- she scares the horse-apples out of everypony in Luna Eclipsed, and she wasn't even trying at that point (though that was more of the fault of "royal protocol" 1000 years ago). As for Pinkie Pie's episodes, Pinkie Pie being the element of laughter (and jokes are naturally expected when it comes to laughter) should explain it for me.

Anyways, have you seen Celestia's gala gown in "Make New Friends but keep Discord"? I think it's quite gorgeous, though to be honest it should look more like this (I'm not using art by linking to it am I?)
http://selinmarsou.deviantart.com/art/Ga...-359840748
Can't wait to see Luna's gala dress to be honest.

That "no demonic possesion" part got me laughing hard.
i like rarity, elitist piece of pair. Such a lovely character, reminds me a lot of myself(lolnot really). Though she's an interesting one.
So, we've had a few episodes between now and the last discussion. Discord fun times, Flutterbat is sort of back, new Big Macintosh OTP, Christmas before Halloween for some reason, Fluttershy likes anime, and lots of hillbillies.

A very busy few episodes, hah. A lot of the lessons seem to be new takes on older episodes' morals or premise - Hooffields and McColts is similar to Over a Barrel, Scare Master takes the premise of Filli Vanilli in the opposite direction (you don't have to be interested in the stuff your friends are), and What About Discord? ends up teaching basically the same lesson as Green Isn't Your Color.

Also, we didn't talk about Crusaders of the Lost Mark, which was a fantastic episode. Huge character development all around, there. Diamond Tiara is actually a likeable character now that we know her whole story, Silver Spoon isn't her mindless goon, and, well, the CMC FINALLY get their butt symbols after five years. The songs were really great, too Grin
Ooh, thanks for reviving the thread guys.

I feel sorry for Twilight in What About Discord, I really do. Imagine being left out by your friends who do not know they're hurting your feelings by doing so (even though you don't appear to be hurt) and feeling jealous on top of that, but because of your important position you feel you don't have the right to blurt out your jealousy.

And why your friends are leaving you alone to have good fun? Someone you and your friends are close with told your friends to leave you out, just to teach you a lesson that your friends won't be able to be around you everytime . Ouch. You can see why Twilight's on the verge of crying when she tells the truth.

I have grown to tolerate Pinkie Pie's antics a bit, but as for now my fav list is (best to worst)
1. Twilight Sparkle
2. Fluttershy
3. Applejack
4. Rarity
5. Rainbow Dash
6. Pinkie Pie.

Rainbow, Rarity and Applejack are interchangeable. Altough, I have to give points to Rarity for occasionally using her charm and seduction to manipulate the opposite gender to do what she (or her friend(s) want). Those scenes in "Rarity Investigates" are just pure gold. Remember, this is a kid's show.
What About Discord really should have brought up a lesson from the opposite perspective - if you're with a group of friends, don't continuously make inside jokes that some of them may not understand. It's annoying and unfunny, as Twilight learns the hard way in the episode, with Discord using his typical "teach a lesson by being a manipulative jerk" methodology. Fortunately, he's a funny and (mostly) harmless manipulative jerk, and he just wouldn't be the same without that trickster element to his character. "Reformed" he may be, but there's nothing wrong with a little chaos now and then Tongue_out

On the topic of reformed villains, I was honestly disappointed with Starlight's heel-face turn. She's been borderline sociopathic the entire season, and is about as bad as you can get without the whole "spikes and hellfire" brand of evil Sombra and Chrysalis are into. She has ruined the lives of a LOT of other ponies, first with her whole communist dictatorship thing, and then with completely destroying the timeline by brainwashing and/or lasering school children. I mean, causing the apocalyptic collapse of Equestrian society in a half-dozen different timelines is a pretty serious offense. Sure, both the community she ruled over and the timeline she shattered were both fixed by Twilight and co., but really? An unfortunate backstory shouldn't be a literal get out of jail free card.

But, in the end, I really don't mind that much. The finale was still great, I loved all the new character designs introduced for the different alternate universes and the flashback scene, the effects for the time-travel spell looked really cool, and although the pacing was kind of awkward (Twilight spent way too much time bumbling around expecting things to be the same as her timeline), the writing was fantastic. The villains in particular feel much more believable, because they aren't being defeated within 5 minutes of their appearance; they get to have some dialogue and exposition that isn't just "I'm super evil, look at the evil stuff I did" or "oh carp I'm dead/defeated/not evil now".

Also, remixes :3
Yeah, I was kinda boned they let her off that easy, but it's not without repercussions either. She has to live with the guilt that her revenge nearly destroyed Equestria; she only wanted to get back at the Mane 6 for destroying her communist-like society, but she didn't know that doing so would have dire consequences.
The communist-dictator thing was probably harder for me to answer though, I don't have any arguments to prove contrary. Altough to remember, Starlight's crimes didn't stop there. The whole cutie map two-parter is amounting to what Starlight basically did: assaulting royalty (remember, Twilight's a princess now) which if Twilight wasn't so forgiving would have landed her in hot water with the other Princesses. Especially Celestia and Cadance since they are the closest to Twilight.

The heel-face turn is just the beginning though- like Discord, we'll see if Starlight actually deserved being forgiven like Discord is.

Twilight is sure one forgiving pony; she never seems to hold any grudges, at least not on-screen. She had many chances to inflict some laser-guided justice on those who wronged her, and yet we never actually see it. Her friends, brother, and mentor abandoning her in A Canterlot Wedding? Her friends having a good weekend without her in What About Discord, and that was Discord's idea all along? She forgives them all. It almost seems that she has extreme difficulty feeling grudges and hate- which explains why Twilight has a difficult time wielding Sombra's dark hate-based magic, while her mentor is able to do the same without much difficulty.

In-jokes are annoying, (It's one of my biggest berserk buttons in fact) since I am paranoid.

And "The One Where Pinkie Pie Knows" is a funny episode, mainly from Pinkie Pie freaking out about a secret she finds out but has to hold. Looks like even reality-warper ponies cannot avoid karma forever; She is now in Twilight's position from Green Isn't Your Color, only blurting out the secret doesn't solve any problems. Anyone ever been in Pinkie's position before?
Sorry to pop out in a middle of a conversation , but i thought My Little Pony is for girls , and i was shocked many boys were watching it.
(Dec. 24, 2015  1:37 PM)Get Rekt Wrote: Sorry to pop out in a middle of a conversation , but i thought My Little Pony is for girls , and i was shocked many boys were watching it.

i'm sure this was all of our reactions at first

though i prefer the classics.
(Dec. 24, 2015  1:37 PM)Get Rekt Wrote: Sorry to pop out in a middle of a conversation , but i thought My Little Pony is for girls , and i was shocked many boys were watching it.

You are playing with fire, mate. Expect a very long and boring reply from an offensed My Little Pony fan in the following minutes/hours.
(Dec. 24, 2015  2:41 PM)MissingNo. Wrote:

You are playing with fire, mate. Expect a very long and boring reply from an offensed My Little Pony fan in the following minutes/hours.

incoming wall of text approaching.

oh i didn't mean to offend anyone , i was just sayin, i'm gonna start watching it too soon luls, and i was really curious about it .
At this point, the reason I watch the show is a bit of circular reasoning - I watch it mostly because I'm invested in the characters that I have watched for the past 5 seasons. By itself, MLP is a pretty good show (the animation, writing, and plot are all solid, and the characters are interesting) but I wouldn't say it's anything particularly incredible. It's much better than your average little kid's show, but it doesn't particularly stand out over other cartoons and TV shows. It's good, but not so good that I would be offended if someone didn't like it.
No, the animation is not good, not at all. Everything looks bad and simplistic. Even Johnny Test have a better animation. For a 2015 show using CGI, it's far away from decent.
lol missingno, can't tell if serious or not
(Dec. 26, 2015  2:58 PM)MissingNo. Wrote: No, the animation is not good, not at all. Everything looks bad and simplistic. Even Johnny Test have a better animation. For a 2015 show using CGI, it's far away from decent.

Flash animation is not necessarily bad, and I really have disagree with you on Johnny Test having better animation. What exactly is classified as "decent" animation? And what would be an example of great animation, in your opinion?

I would say that the earlier episodes definitely have worse animation than the newer ones - there was a real quality improvement from season 4 onward - but I don't think it ever stooped to Johnny Test levels of low (except maybe with the awkwardly 3D timberwolves).
So cake, how do ya feel out the classics m8? They suck right?
Animation for My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is good enough for me though that could just be me being oblivious.

Personally, I think an opinion like Get Rekt's is understandable. This show was intended for girls after all, and let's admit it, the show is quite saccharine ("sugary"). The logo is primarily pink and purple, and the setting and characters and everything scream the saccharine tone even more. Very few of the characters are total jerks, and even their rulers are divine ponies that still manage to look cute XD

Besides, like Get Rekt said, it's just what he thought and therefore qualifies as opinion. Bronies or not, you should respect opinions.

People attacking the show/fans are a different matter though. Bronies were called sexually repressed man-children/gay/other insults quite often, and that ticks me off. Like I said, no one has the right to insult anyone else's opinion. The comebacks bronies create (and at one point even Lauren Faust herself got into the fray to deliver a comeback) are awesome and well deserved, but if they were used against what Get Rekt said for example, it would be disproportionate retribution and reflects badly on the bronies.

The show itself is excellent, both from the demographics and the show's elements itself but if it were that good I would be offended at Get Rekt's comment. Don't get me wrong, the show is fantastic, but not to the point we should be overzealous fanatics of it.

I don't really like the classics, but I cannot make sense of the reason.
(Dec. 28, 2015  5:02 AM)RDF3 Wrote: I don't really like the classics, but I cannot make sense of the reason.

Generation differences is usually a normal factor in some distastes for something prior and post it. That and the newer one has a lot more common sense and less wacky obscurity by its side.