MF-H Scythe Uranus 85RS (Updated 6/21/12)

MF-H Scythe Uranus 85RS

Overview

I'm going to start this thread by saying that this is in no way a new concept as low-height Scythe customs have been around a long time. This custom just takes Scythe as a LHDC to an extreme, and it has garnered good results against modern top-tier attackers, so I'm posting this thread to see if it works for anyone else.

This custom is a defense custom designed around Scythe's extremely low profile and shock-absorbing free-spinning PC frame. Because of 85 and Uranus, the PC frame is the most often hit piece of the custom by the most popular Flash customs, and therefore the custom takes very little knockback from Flash. RS or RB give the custom incredible defense while providing it enough stamina to OS an attacker.

This thread is meant to be a testing thread to see if this concept works for other people. I do not have a few key pieces, namely RB or any other top-tier attack wheel other than Flash. As I'll discuss in the part selections section, I'd like to see this custom tested against other attackers (mainly low and/or left-spin attackers).

Updates

6/12/12
* Thread: Started
* Testing: Initial tests added

6/13/12
* Thread: Intro added
* Testing: BeyHyperKiller's testing added
* Testing: Meow!'s testing added
* Testing: More tests added
* Testing: I removed my tests on H145 and CH120 and replaced them with other user's tests
* Strengths/Weaknesses: Weakness to H145 added

6/21/12
* Combo: RB removed, RS is definitely the right tip
* Testing: RB section removed

Strengths/Weaknesses

In this section I will go over the strengths and weaknesses of the custom that I have noticed. Note that because of the testing nature of this thread, this section is incomplete, as I do not have all the parts I want to see tested. I'll add any strengths and weaknesses you guys find.

Strengths
  • Consistently defeats 125-, 130-, and MOST 145-height Flash customs

Weaknesses
  • Poor overall stamina due to RS
  • Potential for self-KO if launched improperly (this shouldn't happen once you're used to it)
  • Loses to Flash with H145 (?), CH120, and 105-height tracks

Part Choices

Face Bolt: MF-H
MF-H is used quite simply for its weight. Scythe is a very light wheel and needs all the extra weight it can get when used for defense.

Clear Wheel: Uranus
Uranus is a very important part for this custom's success. Uranus has one of the smallest radii of any clear wheel, meaning its use on Scythe maximizes the amount of Scythe's PC frame that is exposed to attackers. Though Uranus is exceptionally light, because this custom's defense is all about the PC frame absorbing the shock of incoming attackers, Uranus is a vital piece for this goal. (If anyone else can think of another Clear Wheel that might do the same job, please post it!)

Metal Wheel: Scythe (Stamina Mode)
Scythe is the basis for this custom. It has a very low profile and the all-important free-spinning PC frame; these two traits make it perfect for a low-track defense custom. Even though Scythe is extremely light, the PC frame absorbs hits like a champ, giving this custom amazing defense against 130- and 145-height based attackers. (Scythe's low weight might be a problem against low-height attackers; please help me test this!)

Track: 85
85 is used because it is the shortest track available, which allows Scythe's low profile to be used to the best of its ability. 85 gives the custom a very low center of gravity and maximizes contact with the PC frame, making it another vital component for this custom.

Bottom: RS
RS is absolutely mandatory for this combo for its incredible defense and low height compared to the other rubber-based defense tips. Here are other tips I tried, but that didn't work as effectively:
  • RB: The tip is simply too tall, almost two millimeters taller than RS. While this might sound minor, this custom is all about being as low to the ground as possible, so RS is simply superior for the custom's purpose. This was a shame, as RB has much better overall balance and stamina, but the custom with RB loses to taller Flash customs that the custom with RS has no problems with.
  • RDF: This tip did not work because it had a strange tendency to self-KO when knocked even slightly off-balance.
  • CS: This tip technically worked, just not as well as RS. It obviously has a lot more stamina (one of the main weaknesses of RS), but the defense trade-off is simply not worth it when we're talking about Flash.
  • JB/WB: Don't laugh, I tried every tip I have that's defensive; the only reason these didn't work was because they were a little too short and caused too many self-KOs.
  • RF/R2F/L2F: These tips weren't successful because they too caused self-KOs when the custom tornado stalls.

So, in the end I settled with RS; no other tip matches its stationary movement pattern, defensive abilities, or short-ish height, all three of which are mandatory to have a chance against Flash.

Test Results

Vs. Flash (125 height and above, NOT H145)
Overall % Win: 81%
Flash Tests 1 (Click to View)

Vs. Flash (105-height, CH120, and H145)
Overall % Win: ??%
H145 Testing (Click to View)
CH120 Results (Click to View)
105-Height Results (Click to View)

Ingulit's Testing
Ingulit Testing (Click to View)

BeyHyperKiller's Testing
BeyHyperKiller Testing (Click to View)

Meow!'s Testing
Meow! Testing (Click to View)

Closing Remarks

From my initial testing, this custom seems to fare well against the most popular Flash setups, though it does have problems against the lower tracks. Since I don't have all the top-tier attack wheels, I'm asking for some help testing this custom; the main idea is to maximize contact with Scythe's free-spinning PC frame through the use of 85, RS, and Uranus in order to fend of attackers despite Scythe's low weight. I do not know how it will fare against other attackers, so if you can test this out yourself, please post your results be them good or bad! While my initial results are good, this might end up being a flop, but I don't have all the parts to know for sure.
Wouldn't Kronos do just as well, if not better, as the CW due to its great synergy with Scythe and being relatively circular itself? Uranus is a little offensive (or recoil-ly(?)) from above with all those points sticking out, whereas Kronos is smooth[er], shorter, and still pretty small. Though, it also depends on how much CW-contact the opponent makes with this combo.

The only things I don't have are RB and 85, though, I'm sure 90 probably wouldn't be a very good substitute. Dx
You make very good points about Uranus's shape and Kronos's synergy, but I actually noticed a significant improvement in defensive consistency when I switched from Kronos to Uranus (I'll post comparative tests when I can). This custom is all about PC frame contact, and Uranus's smaller radius makes it a better choice in this specific case than Kronos.

90 isn't terrible on this custom, but it is undoubtedly inferior to 85 for how the custom is designed to work. 90 does have less of a tendency for self-KOs, though, so it does have that going for it.
I don't really know if this really needs a thread to be honest...
This combo has been known for it's Anti-Variares usage..
But I really have no idea how you got 90% against Flash S130RF.
I've tested it before against it and it didn't get nearly that high of a rating, I never tested it against GB145 though.
And Kronos was the conventional wheel for it, and 90 (was) a fairly good substitute back in the day.
ok so ive used this combo since Vari-Ares came out. it stops just about all attackers who use it. but im gonna have to stop you on this one there is no way on earth you got that percentage against flash(not being rude). i ve tested with many people using flash and it can barely win. Flash just beats it up on all tracks(90,100,DF105,AD145,S130 and H145). If possible please provide video of flash winning.
This defeted flash!
well try leone1,horogium as enegry rings.
Can u upload vid
Or do a test of ur skills(try to beat a mf-h basult kerbecs bd145 cs with the same flash combo)
I have to agree with Sniper here. This combo has seen its fair share of limelight 6 months or so ago. However, considering that no thread was ever made, it can of course remain open, provided results can be confirmed by other members.
I can test with RB and RS, i will do it soon. Bearing in mind, i am not the 'best' at using Flash.

EDIT: So, here are the tests:

Standard Procedure:

MF-H Scythe Uranus 85 RS vs. MF-H Flash Escolpio D125 RF
MF-H Scythe Uranus 85 RS: 14 Wins (13 OS, 1 KO)
MF-H Flash Escolpio D125 RF: 6 Wins (2 OS, 4 KO)
Scythe win percentage: 70%

MF-H Scythe Uranus 85 RB vs. MF-H Flash Escolpio D125 RF
MF-H Scythe Uranus 85 RB: 13 Wins (11 OS, 2 KO)
MF-H Flash Escolpio D125 RF: 7 Wins (7 KO)
Scythe win percentage: 65%

MF-H Scythe Uranus 85 RS vs. MF-H Flash Escolpio H145 RF
MF-H Scythe Uranus 85 RS: 1 Win (1 OS)
MF-H Flash Escolpio H145 RF: 19 Wins (16 KO, 3 OS)
Scythe win percentage: 5%

MF-H Scythe Uranus 85 RB vs. MF-H Flash Escolpio H145 RF
MF-H Scythe Uranus 85 RB: 0 Wins
MF-H Flash Escolpio H145 RF: 20 Wins (20 KO)
Scythe win percentage: 0%

Benchmark tests:

Hmm... very strange. I haven't tested any other tracks on Flash against this yet, but i will try to, as i am quite interested in this. I believe 105 on Flash might do well against this combo. This also explains why i prefer H145 over other tracks on Flash. With D125, there was metal on metal connection but since Flash doesn't really have an underside with smash, Scythe just made Flash jump backwards.
H145 has been known to be able to consistently KO Low Track Defense and Stamina types. It's due to the overall shape of the "horns" of H145 as well as the metal wheel's overall shape (the smash attack wheel that was particularly chosen.)
Yeah, I like the combo, but I don't see how it got those results against Flash..
(Jun. 13, 2012  3:08 PM)Mu Wrote: H145 has been known to be able to consistently KO Low Track Defense and Stamina types. It's due to the overall shape of the "horns" of H145 as well as the metal wheel's overall shape (the smash attack wheel that was particularly chosen.)
Yeah, i know. Hence why i use H145 on my Flash.

Note to everyone; keep in mind i am not the 'best' at using Flash.
Even then BeyHyperKiller, your results are valid proof that you're at least decent when using Flash attack combo's.

I'd like to argue that I made a combo just like this as soon as Scythe came out, so RB wasn't released yet haha.
Yup.

Yes, definitely RB>RS for Stamina. Also, a major problem with Scythe is that it scrapes on lower tracks, so you might want to go slightly higher. Maybe 90 would be better...
(Jun. 13, 2012  5:04 PM)GaHooleone Wrote: I'd like to argue that I made a combo just like this as soon as Scythe came out, so RB wasn't released yet haha.
Yup.

Yes, definitely RB>RS for Stamina. Also, a major problem with Scythe is that it scrapes on lower tracks, so you might want to go slightly higher. Maybe 90 would be better...

Technically TT did cause its on the box XD
i made this combo a while back with a different track (bd145) with rb i was able to OS alot of current defence types using the similar stratagy with the pcring along with the boost disk Smile

(Jun. 13, 2012  5:14 PM)Sniperâ„¢ Wrote:
(Jun. 13, 2012  5:04 PM)GaHooleone Wrote: I'd like to argue that I made a combo just like this as soon as Scythe came out, so RB wasn't released yet haha.
Yup.

Which box is this now?...

I don't usually look at those combos.
I'm not going to claim this is in any way a new concept or anything; Scythe has been around much longer than I've been posting customs, heh.

I've been looking at basically every thread in the Customs forum. Ga'Hooleone, I will say I saw your thread awhile ago and that is actually what inspired me to make this, but I wanted to take the custom one step further towards being a purely defensive custom, hence 85 and the use of Uranus to expose the PC frame more. I only posted this as a new thread because it garnered success against my favorite Flash custom and then some (GB145).

BeyHyperKiller, thank you for your tests, especially with H145; I think I need to look into how I'm launching Flash with H145 or something (lord knows I'm not perfect). It's cool this custom did well against Flash on 125 height; my next tests will be against CH120, as I think that will probably start being low enough to do some damage. How was RB vs RS? I'll add your tests to the OP, and I'm going to make a separate section for H145 since our results were so vastly different.

I just got RSF and I'm going to try that as well to see how it goes.
Inguilt, stick with RB, as it has the most stamina out of any rubber bottom except for maybe a CS...

RB gives any bey a great balance of defense and stamina (but it does skip the tornado ridge sometimes...)
(Jun. 13, 2012  6:51 PM)Mu Wrote: Inguilt, stick with RB, as it has the most stamina out of any rubber bottom except for maybe a CS...

RB gives any bey a great balance of defense and stamina (but it does skip the tornado ridge sometimes...)

I would if I could, but I don't have RB; that's actually why I have "Help me test!" in the title, as I figured this would work well with RB but I don't have it. I'm going to try RSF just to say I've officially tried everything.

I could try to get a video if you guys really wanted, but I figured it would be better if other people could test this to either confirm or debunk my testing since you guys might be better at using Flash than I am (and other top-tier attackers for that matter, as I don't have them). As seen in BeyHyperKiller's testing, the custom worked against D125, but our H145 results are vastly different.
Try retesting with RS vs Flash H145 to see if there is any difference that skew your old results. Get a RB ASAP (LOL.) Also, you should try to use a mint RF or R2F to see difference in your new results. Remember to retest Ingulit !
(Jun. 13, 2012  7:09 PM)Mu Wrote: Try retesting with RS vs Flash H145 to see if there is any difference that skew your old results. Get a RB ASAP (LOL.) Also, you should try to use a mint RF or R2F to see difference in your new results. Remember to retest Ingulit !

RB will be coming in the mail soon, hopefully Smile

I'll try H145 against using different rubber tips; my RF might be worn a little too much (I think it's perfect, but it's certainly not mint). I honestly don't know why my H145 results were so bad, as I fully expected H145 to wipe the floor with this custom like BeyHyperKiller's tests. I'll post my results soon.

EDIT: I'll upload a video
how does this do vs 230/e230 obviosly pourly, but i'm interested
(Jun. 13, 2012  9:45 PM)facade Wrote: how does this do vs 230/e230 obviosly pourly, but i'm interested

It would do horribly, as any other low track defense custom would. This is a defense combo, and there aren't any attackers that use either of those tracks that would ever KO this custom.

I can't get my darn phone to record a video longer than ten seconds, so the video might take awhile because I'll need to find my family's main camera. I re-tried this custom vs. H145 using a mint R2F, and other than one or two impressive KOs, Scythe was still staying in the arena like a champ. Maybe I just can't use this part :\
ik i forgot for vs attack only_
(Jun. 13, 2012  6:13 PM)GaHooleone Wrote:
(Jun. 13, 2012  5:14 PM)Sniperâ„¢ Wrote:
Yup.

Which box is this now?...

I don't usually look at those combos.

Its on the back of the Scythe Kronos. its a recommended combo