Layer Base - Cosmo

Cosmo is a Layer Base released by Takara Tomy as part of the Burst System as well as the Gatchinko Layer System. It debuted in Japan with Random Booster Vol. 15 on April 27, 2019.

==Description==

Cosmo is a rather round layer base with a smooth underside as the gimmick. This rarely actually comes into play, however. It also has four protrusions on top interrupting what would otherwise be a perfect circle. These protrusions hamper Cosmo's performance, as they make it more prone to recoil, However, its weaknesses can be mitigated by using a driver such as Hybrid or Ignition'. On these drivers, Cosmo's stamina and round shape shine, as it is taller than most combos of its era, putting the protrusions out of reach, which allows it to be a rather good stamina combination in the Gatchinko Layer System. Otherwise, it can be used on Xtend+ or other stamina options, as it also has superb Outer Weight Distribution, though it'll be slightly less effective than on Hybrid or Ignition'

==Overall==

Cosmo is a niche option for stamina among Gatchinko Layer System parts, however, when it is paired with Hybrid or Ignition', it becomes a much more capable combination, near top-tier for stamina. Therefore, it is not a must-have for competitive bladers, but a welcome addition in the context of the Gatchinko Layer System. However, the advent of heavier and better distributed Layers for Stamina, including Dynamite with the F Gear, renders all Gatchinko Layer System Layer Bases outclassed in Standard. Therefore, for Standard, Cosmo is recommended for collection purposes only.
wait, the slight protrusions has no actual effect during use, i tested it multiple times and it still is not prone to recoil
Make sure to mention the design is actually OWD focussed, the underside has a valley to put less weight in the centre. I honestly think it's a bit better for its time - Hy and Ig' are big deals for something to be basically optimal on. Even with the recoil it can work on like xt+ just off having solid LAD on its underside, even tho same spin match ups hurt a bit.

I honestly consider Cosmo one of the larger sleepers in GT, I do think it will be a regular thing in GT format.
(Feb. 14, 2022  10:54 AM)th!nk Wrote: Make sure to mention the design is actually OWD focussed, the underside has a valley to put less weight in the centre. I honestly think it's a bit better for its time - Hy and Ig' are big deals for something to be basically optimal on. Even with the recoil it can work on like xt+ just off having solid LAD on its underside, even tho same spin match ups hurt a bit.

I honestly consider Cosmo one of the larger sleepers in GT, I do think it will be a regular thing in GT format.
I’m not at home currently, but I do remember that Cosmo has little pieces underneath it like the 8 disc I think. I think that’s meant to have no weight there and have more weight on the outside? But that’s just taking away weight from the inside rather than adding weight to the outside. Cosmo is still on the lighter side, but I have found it to be good on wave’ and hybrid. Taller drivers make the round underside destabilize the opponent, while Cosmo has little to no friction while spinning. But Cosmo on those drivers does get knocked around by thicker beys. Cosmo on Hybrid also ties with lord on Xt+, so that’s interesting. I personally think Cosmo on hybrid could be better than lord Xt+ with the proper weight on it and stuff.
Taking away weight from the inside means more weight is on the outside proportionally, ie OWD. A more worn in hybrid should consistently OS Lord Xt+ with the motor on.
(Feb. 14, 2022  4:50 PM)th!nk Wrote: Taking away weight from the inside means more weight is on the outside proportionally, ie OWD.
I know. I was just saying that since you are taking away weight from the inside, Cosmo is light. If it had added weight on the outside it’d be better. That’s all I’m saying. Cosmo is 10 grams, which now that I say it out loud isn’t terribly light. But it is on the light side of things generally speaking.
It's heavy enough to do solidly in GT. As you noted, it works well on taller stuff. It doesn't take hits too well, it's sort of like phantom or burn in MFB in that regard more than it is burst "spamina" wheels which often mix Defense and Stamina (actually, the remake burn Phoenix works well on ig' for similar reasons to Cosmo).
It doesn't want the lumps to be hit. If it keeps them out of the way then it's a lot more impressive. But it can do *okay* even if they are, against passive enough opposition. Actually, I wonder how it does comparstively vs tact and master...

Cosmo is only 0.5g lighter than judgment btw - it's 11.4g, so not a super lightweight at all.
(Feb. 14, 2022  5:14 PM)th!nk Wrote: It's heavy enough to do solidly in GT. As you noted, it works well on taller stuff. It doesn't take hits too well, it's sort of like phantom or burn in MFB in that regard more than it is burst "spamina" wheels which often mix Defense and Stamina (actually, the remake burn Phoenix works well on ig' for similar reasons to Cosmo).
It doesn't want the lumps to be hit. If it keeps them out of the way then it's a lot more impressive. But it can do *okay* even if they are, against passive enough opposition. Actually, I wonder how it does comparstively vs tact and master...

Cosmo is only 0.5g lighter than judgment btw - it's 11.4g, so not a super lightweight at all.

BTW, I noted the changes, and edited accordingly. Would you still say it's a welcome addition, or a must-have?
(Feb. 14, 2022  5:14 PM)th!nk Wrote: It's heavy enough to do solidly in GT. As you noted, it works well on taller stuff. It doesn't take hits too well, it's sort of like phantom or burn in MFB in that regard more than it is burst "spamina" wheels which often mix Defense and Stamina (actually, the remake burn Phoenix works well on ig' for similar reasons to Cosmo).

Yeah the lumps are what cause recoil. So taller stuff, only exposing the smooth underside, lessens recoil. And that’s interesting, my Cosmo is only 10 grams. If yours is 11.4 then I just got a horrible mold. And I don’t have tact, but I do have master. On hybrid master left is ok, but I prefer the naked layer base. Master is better on anything else, but because it’s blades are lower, it’s kinda weird on a taller driver.
(Feb. 14, 2022  7:08 PM)Suzaku-X Wrote:

BTW, I noted the changes, and edited accordingly. Would you still say it's a welcome addition, or a must-have?

Still a welcome addition, that could change when we have GT format, it wasn't super available back then so seeing how it goes on ig'/Hy there is going to be the big answer.

(Feb. 14, 2022  7:20 PM)TheRogueBlader Wrote:

Yeah the lumps are what cause recoil. So taller stuff, only exposing the smooth underside, lessens recoil. And that’s interesting, my Cosmo is only 10 grams. If yours is 11.4 then I just got a horrible mold. And I don’t have tact, but I do have master. On hybrid master left is ok, but I prefer the naked layer base. Master is better on anything else, but because it’s blades are lower, it’s kinda weird on a taller driver.

I am going off the wiki weight. I will weigh both of mine for you tonight and double check Smile

I more meant how it does against tact vs how it does against master. Tact, especially when the side spikes get worn, is very low recoil. Master is a bit more recoil. I am curious if Cosmo's nodules are less of an issue vs tact. Sadly, I would usually use Wh(H).Xt+ to test this but Tact is too big for that I think. I'll come up with something. This won't really affect the article tho, just research.
(Feb. 15, 2022  1:47 AM)th!nk Wrote:
(Feb. 14, 2022  7:08 PM)Suzaku-X Wrote: BTW, I noted the changes, and edited accordingly. Would you still say it's a welcome addition, or a must-have?

Still a welcome addition, that could change when we have GT format, it wasn't super available back then so seeing how it goes on ig'/Hy there is going to be the big answer.

(Feb. 14, 2022  7:20 PM)TheRogueBlader Wrote: Yeah the lumps are what cause recoil. So taller stuff, only exposing the smooth underside, lessens recoil. And that’s interesting, my Cosmo is only 10 grams. If yours is 11.4 then I just got a horrible mold. And I don’t have tact, but I do have master. On hybrid master left is ok, but I prefer the naked layer base. Master is better on anything else, but because it’s blades are lower, it’s kinda weird on a taller driver.

I am going off the wiki weight. I will weigh both of mine for you tonight and double check Smile

I more meant how it does against tact vs how it does against master. Tact, especially when the side spikes get worn, is very low recoil. Master is a bit more recoil. I am curious if Cosmo's nodules are less of an issue vs tact. Sadly, I would usually use Wh(H).Xt+ to test this but Tact is too big for that I think. I'll come up with something. This won't really affect the article tho, just research.
Thanks! 
I don’t have tact, but have heard it’s basically lord with less recoil. Master’s recoil can lead to its advantage though because it’s heavy weight and just tangy shape in general kinda beats down its opponents stamina Geist Fafnir style. Not only that, but it also has top tier stamina on its own. And if you want to try tact vs Cosmo, maybe just put them both on hybrid, or both on ignition’. That way the drivers are the same and the drivers both work well with the layers. I’ve seen some people use tact on ignition’, but honestly not much.
(Feb. 15, 2022  2:02 AM)TheRogueBlader Wrote:
(Feb. 15, 2022  1:47 AM)th!nk Wrote: Still a welcome addition, that could change when we have GT format, it wasn't super available back then so seeing how it goes on ig'/Hy there is going to be the big answer.

I am going off the wiki weight. I will weigh both of mine for you tonight and double check :)

Thanks! 
I don’t have tact, but have heard it’s basically lord with less recoil. Master’s recoil can lead to its advantage though because it’s heavy weight and just tangy shape in general kinda beats down its opponents stamina Geist Fafnir style. Not only that, but it also has top tier stamina on its own. And if you want to try tact vs Cosmo, maybe just put them both on hybrid, or both on ignition’. That way the drivers are the same and the drivers both work well with the layers. I’ve seen some people use tact on ignition’, but honestly not much.

Tact isn't really like Lord.... Master is the closest equivalent, but most GT layers are kinda... Not clones of each other at all.
One important thing - Recoil never* helps - recoil is backwards motion. We don't want that (*unless we are trying to pinball, I guess). The wiki makes this error a lot, and one day I would like to go through and clean it up. Master has some *smash*, in small amounts, off surfaces that also produce recoil. 
Master is lighter than Tact+Goku by like.. 1.5g? (Funnily enough, the same amount Master is heavy than Cosmo Goku by, not that I'd run Goku on Cosmo really). Tact is pretty hefty, Master isn't spectacularly heavy by any means now that Goku is readily available (not counting Goku it is quite heavy yes). I do know how the part works (I have used it extensively). Having used both it and Tact, at the time they were both released, Master being better on Xt+ was a boon. In GT Format though, Tact is at least even with Master with newer parts available, and IMO becomes better than Master (certainly defensively) as it wears due to recoil reduction. I actually bought a Tact Ig' combo from Mercari, dude clearly got a lot of use from it as the Tact is quite worn. That is for separate articles though. In this case, I am only mentioning them because I am curious how well Cosmo does against them specifically, due to Tact being more passive - whether that actually advantages Cosmo somehow (performing better against lower recoil opponents would be notable). I'll try it out if I get the chance tonight or tomorrow hopefully. 

Anyway, I weighed my Cosmos. I have 2, both the blue one from the set release. Both weigh right near 11.4g (one just under, one just over). The Hasbro one is about 9g, which is actually closer to your measurement than my Takara ones 😰

E: Seems to do marginally better vs tact, less clicks when using Ashura and less bouncing off. But maybe not enough to note.