57.14%
It's cool!
28.57%
It's ok!
14.29%
No it sucks!
0%
Total: 100% 7 vote(s)
Kill la kill is an anime about a 17 year old girl, named Ryuko Matoi, who's trying to look for her father's murderer.
There's already been 12 episodes released!
Here's a trailer of it, if you haven't seen it yet:
Post your thoughts on what and why you like this anime!
Going by the trailer, it is worth giving a shot.
But then, it's got so much fanservice in it that I'll probably start hating it midway.
No, it's more like Action + Fanservice I think. Because in most anime they simply ignore the mystery part after the first few episodes.
i like this show the only problem i have with it is well. certain hints about stuff and showings of stuff but other then that i like it! its unique and funny Smile
I like Kill La Kill because it's a nice break from all the Moe anime that air each season. The fanservice is not a huge issue since it doesn't really distract from the overall plot, the action is A+, I wouldn't say the comedy is "laugh out loud" funny, but it makes me chuckle. It's the only currently airing anime I'm watching now from the Fall season.

There's also this underlying message of "survival of the fittest". There's a lot of hints to Darwinism in this anime, i.e. the "Naturals Election" which is clearly a play on words for "Natural Selection". Although, I think it's mostly Social Darwinism, or perhaps both? Hmm...
I never really thought of it that way, but the Darwin sub-themes definitely make sense, though I wouldn't read too deeply into that. I like the anime because it has a serious plot, while still being pretty light with plenty of comic relief. Just finished Gurren Lagann last week and it's pretty surprising how similar the two are.
(Jan. 03, 2014  5:04 AM)The Supreme One Wrote: I wouldn't read too deeply into that.

Oh yeah, I don't, lol. I think it's just there for context.
Kill la Kill was honestly fantastic. A worthy successor to TTGL.

A lot of people still complain about the fanservice....but lets think of why KLK's fanservice was actually well written

First, lets look at "fanservice anime"

There are anime where sexual acts reward the main characters with powers, like Sekirei. Sekirei, as a show, is complete garbage. And it is mainly because everything revolves around its fanservice. Sekirei and any show like it, where the fanservice is the focal point of the entire show, loses almost all value immediately, and not just because its deplorable, but because it takes away time from properly developing characters, setting, etc.

Second, take a look at the modern magical girl genre;

For starters, KLK is a magical girl show. You can deal with it or be wrong.

Anyway....In typical magical girl fashion, the main female characters will generally receive these new outfits to accompany their powers, and thy are usually a bit skimpy...but why? There is also the case where most of the magical girls in this genre will ignore the fact that they now look more suggestive for whatever reason. You can argue this is just female empowerment or male fantasy gone weird, but that isn't the point i'm focusing on here. What does matter is that since the genre's conception, this is a theme that is commonly present; these seemingly ordinary girls will go through a transformation sequence that transforms them into beautiful magical beings, as well as transforming their clothes and bodies into something more feminine and even suggestive, and these girls will not really consider why and will not even be embarrassed by their new attire.

Finally, we arrive at KLK.

Whereas Madoka Magica changed the magical girl genre through deconstruction of common tropes a la an amazing plot and story, KLK does the same but in the form of parody. This is a show about clothes and the source of Ryuko's "magical girl abilities" is her clothing. To even further cement this, the fan-service isn't true fan-service, because by the end of the series, we learn why you have to have skin exposed when wearing life fibers above 40%. And Senketsu and Junketsu can only be worn at full power if the user accepts her embarrassing state....being embarrassed by your magical girl outfit in this anime weakens you. Thats goddamn brilliant.

For those of you still in question about the intense level of the fan service, and are wondering why it wasn't toned down to still prove the same point, consider this; that "intensity" draws your attention to the point that is being made about the Magical Girl genre by the show itself. If Matoi wasn't half naked, the show would miss its mark on everything I just discussed. Then there would be no point for this show at all.

Im not saying KLK is a "smart show" because it isn't...at all. But till the end it was incredibly entertaining and a wonderful way to poke fun at current tropes in the Magical Girl genre. It was over the top, and despite some level of predictability at certain focal points, each and every moment was a joy, and plot elements were delivered in a way to the viewer that even if we saw it coming from miles away, it was still shocking and cool looking to watch unfold (im sure you guys and gals know what scenes I am talking about there).