July-08-2023: "One Last Hoorah!" tournament reports

The following are words I have to say about "One Last Hoorah!", a ranked Burst Standard tournament using 5G format for both first stage and finals.

I recommend the following music for reading the report. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYI2yNi4kAY . I heard a lot of mad laughing today which reminded me of this song. And then I remembered it's not totally appropriate so I went hey, chiptune version.

- The weather was indoors. Weather not as much of a factor. It was too hot to open the windows, but at the same time some rooms at this venue are cooler than others. I spent almost all of the time in the front room near the tournament room, it had a fan. Weather wasn't a huge factor today, but sharing the space certainly was.

- Superstar Cardgaming was Triple Booked today! A beyblade tournament, a Shadowverse tournaments, and a Vanguard tournament. We only could run two beystadiums, as we only had one room. It got crowded at times. I got exiled from the table I'd been sitting at peacefully once the Shadowverse tournament started.

- Parking was Bad. There are other businesses in this building, and 3 tournaments going on. I'm not sure if using the nearby church's overflow parking lot counts as a sin. Not like Simony at least.

- We had 22 participants today, making this a 5 round swiss. Everyone got to play at least 5, except when one person dropped. No tiebreakers this time.

- Somebody showed up late! Crisis' tournament threads always state in big red letters that anyone showing up after 12 isn't guaranteed to play. Usually the tournament starts by 12:10-12:15, you really do have some leeway. But we're not kidding around folks, once those Swiss matches get called we cannot add you in, you're stuck. Really convey to yourself and your parents that punctuality is requirement for participation.

- Conversely, someone showed up before the tournament, registered, but had to leave after round 2 or 3 because their parents didn't want to stick around. If you or your parents can't commit to the Many Hours the tournament can take, then perhaps you should enjoy Beyblade in a free-play capacity outside a tournament setting, or just play in the free-play waiting room without registering.

- We started around 12:10, and the first round went until about 3:25. The tournament itself wrapped up around 4:40. We had 2 running beystadiums total, normally we would run 3 or 4 but we only had one room for the tournament matches. We were expecting up to 34 people, I'm glad we only got 22 or we would've been there forever. Sound familiar? It should, this is a recurring theme with this venue.

- I did very little match judging today. Unusual for me! CrisisCrusher07 asked me to be the head judge (to resolve ties and review footage) and as a result I didn't have to judge many matches. I had to review footage about 2-3 times a round. Yup, that's the special hell of Burst standard we all know and love.

- I didn't check the level on the tables today. I really should have. There were a lot of self-KOs today from the few matches I saw, and they were VERY damaging.

- This is an interesting new era for Burst, right at the end. All the releases for Burst are done and over. KOs are now worth 2 points! To include no-contact self-KOs. Ouch. Did staff not think about that ahead of time? Guess not. The wall bounce rule is finally gone too. So matches are very different. But there were still a LOT of KOs today.

- This tournament was using 5G to 3 points in the first stage. 5G is okay. But interestingly, it was also 5G to 5 points in the finals! That made for some interesting finals, without all the self-doubt and nightmarish planning that usually factors into the deck format.

- I don't know what everyone was using today. I only know what my opponents were using today. Many people were using Wind and Dynamite, as normal. Guilty too. Me, I was using both, as usual. Tons of first stage Worlds, because 5G means one direction switching bey per runthrough of the 5. Some Vanish, as people run out of ideas for what to run when you need to bring 5. I know I certainly do.

- My deck for 5G is fairly standard. And it works well, most of the time. Guilty Longinus Fortress Quick'-2, Wind Lucifer Over Bearing Drift-4, Dynamite Perseus+F Illegal Bearing'-0, World Spread Drift, and Vanish Bahamut Giga Metal Drift-10. 

- The first stage went badly for me overall, even though I went 3-2. My first opponent was SuperSonicBlade, who had kind of an uphill battle. Second off I battled Mr pokee, who I can sometimes beat and sometimes I can't. Today, things went sour when I had a self-KO with Guilty. Oof. From 2-2 he managed to get one more point and that was it. My third opponent, Beyman20142, was a bit excited to be at the tournament! Got ahead of himself a little bit, gotta wait for the judge. But even though I got two points on him early on, he managed to knock aside my Guilty into a KO (if you launch hard, you can Sometimes counter a guilty) and in the final match, my World did the drift thing and ran out of stuff on the ridge. I launched weak and they launched strong, and when World picked up spin from their blade it drifted into madness. They got me fair and square. From 1-2, my following opponents were Shredder9 and Cheetahstorm21, who I managed to beat.

- I'm not generally concerned with beyrank here at WBO, but oof, those two losses are gonna hurt it. Grin

- We had an interesting set of bladers show up today. About 11 of them were newer bladers. We have the usual set of about 9 people who show up to most tournaments in the region. But as a special treat today, we had Godly_Requiem show up, with his friend ProBeyblader123. Their name was supposed to be ironic. It Was Not. Godly has been on WBO since about 2019, hasn't really been local since about 2022, and then has been to a couple of tournaments. The first thing to know about Godly is that he's done a lot of blading in WBBA, but when he moved back to the Maryland region he's done really well. He's extremely good, and his WBO tournament record doesn't accurately reflect that, but I know. And now, everyone else knows. Godly has a habit of coming up with unconventional combos and doing quite well with them. The deck he was running today consisted of Wind, Dynamite, Guilty, Xiphoid, and one other bey which I'll get to. He actually ran Xiphoid which really paid off, KOs being worth 2 and all, and he did manage to get those KOs with Xiphoid. But it's that last bey that threw everyone for a loop.

- In 5G, you can have one bey capable of direction switch in your lineup, and can direction switch once per runthrough of the 5. In Maryland, we tend towards using World, it's very circular and Astral and Burst are just tragedies most of the time. World on Drift tends to be a good pick. It's Incredibly vulnerable to Xiphoid and Guilty, and we did see some bursts and KOs on those today. But for the most part World is a mostly safe pick and very strategically sane. You would think Godly_Requiem would use it, but no. This guy, this guy brought Spriggan Requiem Giga Metal Drift. And gosh, he actually won many, many, MANY matches with it. It managed to outspin Wind and many other layers in opposite spin. With the added weight of metal, it didn't get knocked around too badly. I don't recommend anyone else actually use this. It's a burst risk, you know. But... gosh... he really did it.

- And ProBeyblader123 was using the same deck! She went 3-2, losing only to Mamabey and Godly_Requiem. So, uh, definitely made it to finals. They both did. I Godly went 5-0. Just... amazing work there.

- I went 3-2, but the damage from those two early losses was done, and the opponents who Did beat me went 2-3 during the tournament, so my ending Buchholz was, uh, 5. Yeah, that's not finals material, not today. Ah well!

- I judged some finals matches today, mostly the ones involving Godly and ProBeyblader123. I saw a LOT of that unholy deck and the things it did. Godly beat Allen Schaffer with it. Pro beat LJ-Blader with it. Meanwhile over in the other branch, Crisis beat Mamabey, and my two teammates were stopped in the quarterfinals. Now Sonic Cannot Be Super Sonic.

- Godly switched to using Allen's beys for his match against Pro, and it was close. He ended up winning 5-4 I think. Crisis beat RYANTHEDRAGON98, and faced Godly in the finals. I didn't see that match too closely, I was judging the third place match, a 5-4 win by ProBeyblader123!

- Godly_Requiem got 1st place! CrisisCrusher07 2nd place. ProBeyblader123 3rd place, congratulations on your first tournament! And RYANTHEDRAGON98 4th place.

- There are more tournaments for the Maryland area, and staff haven't approved them yet. So I'll see you all when I see you! Hopefully sooner than Beyblade East 2023, if those threads ever get approved.

- Hey folks, remember, if you're sick, don't show up! Don't get other people sick. That means you, Mr Pokee! Bring a mask with you in case you start having symptoms, don't get everyone else sick.

- Also, don't wheel launch a Guilty in someone's beystadium right in front of them for no reason. Mr Pokee is a menace! That wall-crawler is the one robbing all those banks and scuffing up our beystadiums! They're probably behind all these animal themed villains like the Vulture and Dr. Octopus, too. Curse you, Mr Pokee! Don't mess up my beystadium!

- Please remember that in a tournament setting, you will be in close confines with other people. You don't have to dress nice, but you do need to be mindful. If you're older, you might sweat and smell, use deodorant! I used deodorant today because I want to be thoughtful to people around me. If your clothes aren't laundered well, that's fine, unless you stink real bad. If you smell like Cat Urine, for example, you should probably just go home and correct that situation! No one at the Beyblade tournament today smelled like cat urine. Someone at the Shadowverse tournament today smelled like cat urine. Real bad, apparently. This is something for the venue to handle, not us, but holy heck, that's... that's not ideal. Clean those litterboxes folks, and make sure you don't smell like cat urine.

A good tournament! I hope we have another one soon, but everyone's got X on the mind. I don't know how many releases before X is really tournament viable. But we will find out.
It was a lot of fun for my girlfriend and me! Excited to enter a new era
Mans called me out ☠️
But I had lots of fun being my first ranked tournament back after a 3 month hiatus

Sry about the stadium mb maybe pour some rice on it
This was actually a really fun event. I’m really upset that it took this long for the rules to change so we could have a good ranked format like this. 5G with 2 point KOs and no wall bounce KOs moves super fast and was super easy to judge, minus a few LAD battles. But there wasn’t a super large amount of those. All in all though this was a good end for Burst Standard in the MD region, as now we are gonna transition into X!
I still think non-contact self-KOs being worth 2 points instead of 1 is absurd. But hey, that's par for the course at this point: I still have to frequently review footage for midair contact prior to touching the stadium floor. So the inherent difficulties of judging haven't gone away, they've just moved.
Yoga
The event was great everyone was friendly and helpful. Also educational we didn't know Amazon sold fake beyblade now we know the site to go on and what to look for to identify the fake beyblade. Thank you to the judges and everyone. Had fun can't wait till the next one. We will be ready. Lol