Japanese forum now open!

Japanese forum now open!
Today we have an exciting announcement to make: the opening of the Japanese Forum!

As Beyblade’s birthplace, Japan has always held a massive importance. Yet, though so many of us import Beyblades from Japan and eagerly await news from Japan about new releases whenever a new series is active, the Japanese Beyblade community has always remained far removed from everything that we are trying to accomplish here on the WBO.

With the advent and prevalence of things like Youtube and Twitter since the original series launched so many years ago, we’ve gained the ability to come a little bit closer. But nevertheless, we’ve still remained separated. This is something that didn’t seem right given that we are, after all, called the World Beyblade Organization.

Recently, WBO member OkinawamTS informed us that he would be attending the World Hobby Fair Winter 2016 in Japan and would be happy to promote the WBO while wearing our t-shirts and handing out brand new, Japanese WBO Promo Cards. Because we didn’t want any Japanese people who visit the site to not have anywhere to go, we decided now is as good a time as ever to finally open a Japanese WBO Forum!

And thanks to ClaraM, who graciously agreed to translate some essential text for us, the forum is now ready! She will also be acting as the moderator for the forum. Thank you so much for your help!

Of course, the forum is for Japanese-speakers only, but please feel free to take a look at it here.

WBO x WARIBEY Tournament in Tokyo - April 3, 2016
Finally … not only would we like to encourage the growth of a Japanese community here on the forums, we’d also like to promote what arguably makes the WBO so special: our tournaments. And we’ve got one for you! Partnering with famous Japanese Beyblading team WARIBEY, we will be hosting a WBO x WARIBEY tournament on Sunday, April 3rd in Tokyo, Japan. Please stay tuned for more details in the official thread!

SPREAD THE WORD!
#ベイブレードバースト #ベイブレード #WBO #WARIBEY #わりべい

[Image: twitteric.png] @worldbeyblade [Image: facebookic.png] WorldBeybladeOrganization
Awesome, great to see the WBO expanding in languages! Hopefully it attracts many different users, and hopefully the tournament is a huge success as well! Grin
Huge news! I knew this was coming, when I saw Kei's trip thread Tongue_out
Congrats! Can't wait for the WBO community to grow and reach the 10K Members we've always dreamed of!
finaly WBO put their feet in japan! great news! keep going!
I do not know if we can say that we have established anything in Japan yet, but I certainly hope we will eventually hah.
Yeah, this is a little preemptive for sure. But it's better to be prepared for it than to not have anything ready! @[ClaraM] is also working to get some of the basic rules and other information about the WBO translated as well. Smile
OMG this news is AMAZING!
This is great news! Pretty happy that now the people from Beyblade's country have somewhere to talk about it Smile

And thank you @[ClaraM] for helping set it up Smile

And thanks to the committee, of course Wink
I see it positivly
(Jan. 24, 2016  4:35 AM)Kei Wrote: Recently, WBO member OkinawamTS informed us that he would be attending the World Hobby Fair Winter 2016 in Japan and would be happy to promote the WBO while wearing our t-shirts and handing out brand new, Japanese WBO Promo Cards.[/align]

Since I'll be leaving for Japan in a matter of months, could I get some of these cards before I go?

My only concern with this is that most Japanese use their smartphone to access the internet these days rather than a computer, and our site isn't the most mobile-friendly forum in the world. Additionally, they might be a little confused at first to go onto the site and see that it's all in English. They might not think to scroll down and even so they still might not notice the Japanese board listing. How about purchasing the domain WorldBeyblade.jp and having it forward to the Japanese boards? You can list both URLs on the cards and it should make things a little easier. Other than that, I just think we need to improve mobile support for the site and we should be good.
Great news and big thank you to both Kei and ClaraM for their hard work on this.
(Jan. 24, 2016  5:20 AM)xVaretyr Wrote: Shouldn't the date be 2016? This is awesome. Goodluck!

Oh @[Kei]... We're almost a month into 2016 and you're still writing it wrong. get out
Sorry guys, you missed the tournament by a year. Better luck next year Dj - Disappointed ...

Wizard's concerns seem legitimate; the Forum is rather hidden at the bottom of the page. His suggestion on a domain for Japanese readers seems like a decent idea, though a subdomain might be a better choice. Alternatively, a landing page for language selection might be nice to consider.
Isn't it impossible to buy a domain name and have it link to one of our pages instead of our main index ?
(Jan. 24, 2016  5:38 AM)~Mana~ Wrote: Sorry guys, you missed the tournament by a year. Better luck next year Dj - Disappointed ...

Wizard's concerns seem legitimate; the Forum is rather hidden at the bottom of the page. His suggestion on a domain for Japanese readers seems like a decent idea. Alternatively, a landing page for language selection might be nice to consider.

Well, there is a banner advertising it on the front of the site. Since it's the only Japanese there, it would be quite hard to miss.

This is just a small beginning to our Japanese presence, either way.
(Jan. 24, 2016  5:42 AM)Kai-V Wrote: Isn't it impossible to buy a domain name and have it link to one of our pages instead of our main index ?

You can have it redirect to any url you want, whether it be a subdomain or whathaveyou. On 4chan there's a common thread for buying merch and they always leave a link for a guide, and it just forwards you to a Google Doc. Typing WorldBeyblade.jp would send you where you want to go, but your browser would still display it as the subdomain.
I don't think a new domain helps us, since people would still need to find out about that domain in the first place.
(Jan. 24, 2016  5:43 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: Well, there is a banner advertising it on the front of the site. Since it's the only Japanese there, it would be quite hard to miss.

This is just a small beginning to our Japanese presence, either way.

That's true. I was only thinking in the long run though; that banner won't always be there to greet a Japanese member, and the Forum itself is sandwiched in with the others at the bottom of the index.

It's certainly not an issue now, and it's a priority to get a foot in Japan before acting on it. It's simply something to consider later on as all Tongue_out
(Jan. 24, 2016  5:49 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: I don't think a new domain helps us, since people would still need to find out about that domain in the first place.

It's just an idea to make the Japanese board easier to find for newcomers to the site. The Japanese board is so far down on the landing page, it might be a little overwhelming to someone who got the business card and loads up the site to find that it's all in a language they don't speak. Would you rather keep a permanent banner up for the Japanese boards?
(Jan. 24, 2016  5:51 AM)Wizard Wrote:
(Jan. 24, 2016  5:49 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: I don't think a new domain helps us, since people would still need to find out about that domain in the first place.

It's just an idea to make the Japanese board easier to find for newcomers to the site. The Japanese board is so far down on the landing page, it might be a little overwhelming to someone who got the business card and loads up the site to find that it's all in a language they don't speak. Would you rather keep a permanent banner up for the Japanese boards?

No. This is definitely a minimum viable product — the minimum of what we can do to make it work. Definitely things can't stay this way forever, but we never planned for them to.
At the WBO x Waribey event, who will be our representative? We don't have many active users there (gankoba and Oki is all?), what makes this different from just a normal Waribey event?
(Jan. 24, 2016  6:16 AM)DRAGON KING EX Wrote: At the WBO x Waribey event, who will be our representative? We don't have many active users there (gankoba and Oki is all?), what makes this different from just a normal Waribey event?

Kei will be there and I believe Brad was interested in attending as well. Does WariBey have their own events?
Oh wow, that's awesome! I assumed they have meetups or somethings.