Ineffective Moderation on the WBO Forums

(Mar. 31, 2022  2:42 AM)LegendJustice Wrote: Have you tried the actual site? As I’ve said before they have life’s of their own

No, but having a life of your own does not mean ignoring responsibility for a full week.
(Mar. 31, 2022  2:55 AM)Abellia Wrote:
(Mar. 31, 2022  2:42 AM)LegendJustice Wrote: Have you tried the actual site? As I’ve said before they have life’s of their own

No, but having a life of your own does not mean ignoring responsibility for a full week.

True, I’ll agree with you on that, but when I say having your own life I mean something like your mom died and you need sometime away from social media or besides the WBO you have job idk to pay bills, or your a staff member and you have a vacation and you go to a place for a week.
(Mar. 31, 2022  2:55 AM)Abellia Wrote:

I disagree. If a mod or any other person has a reason to leave or be offline/limited activity temporarily, they probably let their fellow mods know or put a temporary status for the public to see. On the other hand, leaving without any reason given and not letting people know is indeed irresponsible

Im not on the mod team and cannot prove which of the two occurs; Im just here to provide insight on what couldve happened
I've been content to just read this and sorta see what happens, but I will say that I think that slow moderation on a forum like this is sorta to be expected lol. There aren't a ton of mods, and most of these mods are grown adults with jobs and lives. With the pretty large activity that is on this forum, and the fact that some of these people have a 9-5, I would expect a bit of a longer response time. Not to say you can't complain about that, it is a problem, but not one with a worthwhile solution. I personally think branding this as some sort of conspiracy between moderator friends is a bit unfair. So I mean, contact, if nothing happens, try again. It's possible that they've, I dunno, been working on a solution, and will tell you when it's solved? There was no need to make this public. That just escalates the situation. You want deescalation right? The easier thing to do would have been to keep it private. Now you've started something, albeit a bit entertaining lol. But those are my thoughts Smile

smol edit: Mods, i sorta think yall should close le thread. Re-reading some of the posts I think this felt a bit too much like a bait for a discussion than general worry. But idk, this might be pretty helpful
(Mar. 31, 2022  2:59 AM)The Blacknight Wrote: I've been content to just read this and sorta see what happens, but I will say that I think that slow moderation on a forum like this is sorta to be expected lol. There aren't a ton of mods, and most of these mods are grown adults with jobs and lives. With the pretty large activity that is on this forum, and the fact that some of these people have a 9-5, I would expect a bit of a longer response time. Not to say you can't complain about that, it is a problem, but not one with a worthwhile solution. I personally think branding this as some sort of conspiracy between moderator friends is a bit unfair. So I mean, contact, if nothing happens, try again. It's possible that they've, I dunno, been working on a solution, and will tell you when it's solved? There was no need to make this public. That just escalates the situation. You want deescalation right? The easier thing to do would have been to keep it private. Now you've started something, albeit a bit entertaining lol. But those are my thoughts Smile
Well, you're assuming that I think there's a conspiracy - it could just be the mods being uncomfortable with dealing with the ex-staff member. Regardless of why they are not taking action, the fact of the matter is that they are slow and relatively ineffective. Slow moderation would be a day or two, not an entire week between an issue being reported and something being done about it - there are far larger forums with far more efficient response teams. While it is absolutely grueling, thankless work to moderate a large community if you choose to take it on, you should realize that you actually have to do it. I will say that I have far more respect for the moderators and staff who are doing their part rather than those who never appear, but the fact of the matter is that as a whole, no incident should be going unresolved for a full week under normal circumstances.

Also, who said I want deescalation? I want something to get done. The chance that the moderators get caught up talking about what to do and in the end, nothing ends up happening - as has happened multiple times in the past regarding the ex-staff member - seems quite high at again, the point where a full week has passed. 

Enjoy the show.
I didn't really want to get into this but looks like I have to. At first, I was kinda confused about this Whole Argument and which side was actually right but thinking about it now I think I agree with a bit with both sides. (Mods Side and Abellia's Side.) Abellia was right, the certain someone (Names shall not be mentioned.) Shouldn't really have lost their cool like that and I agree that there should've been a bit harsher punishment and a more fair ruling. But like some of the Mods have said in the past, they have their own lives, and they're also people so not everybody's going to agree with their ruling but they're trying to help us all and end the arguments. Am I saying Abellia's wrong? No, I'm just saying that she or he shouldn't be super harsh on the staff because of this but she should just state that we need more fair rulings and more fair Final Decisions, I think Ineffective Moderation was a bit too far. But Abellia is right, they volunteered to be moderators and take care of WBO's Problems and Issues or just decisions so just because they have a life doesn't mean that they have any right to ignore their responsibilities. Overall, I think there should've been a bit of harsher punishment in this scenario because Abellia just asked a Question and kinda got greeted by a mean response and that the ruling should've been fairer but saying that the Moderation is "Ineffective" is a bit too far in my opinion. You can yell at me or say whatever you want to be if you're mad or upset about my post but I'm just stating my opinion and if you have a problem with it, feel free to reply to me and I'll get back to you as soon as I can! Smile (Okay the last part was a bit sarcastic but I mean what I say)
(Mar. 31, 2022  2:59 AM)BurningSands Wrote:
(Mar. 31, 2022  2:55 AM)Abellia Wrote: No, but having a life of your own does not mean ignoring responsibility for a full week.

I disagree. If a mod or any other person has a reason to leave or be offline/limited activity temporarily, they probably let their fellow mods know or put a temporary status for the public to see. On the other hand, leaving without any reason given and not letting people know is indeed irresponsible

Im not on the mod team and cannot prove which of the two occurs; Im just here to provide insight on what couldve happened

Well, yeah, but what are the chances of all the mods taking a week off at the same time?

(Mar. 31, 2022  3:08 AM)UnseenBurst Wrote: I didn't really want to get into this but looks like I have to. At first, I was kinda confused about this Whole Argument and which side was actually right but thinking about it now I think I agree with a bit with both sides. (Mods Side and Abellia's Side.) Abellia was right, the certain someone (Names shall not be mentioned.) Shouldn't really have lost their cool like that and I agree that there should've been a bit harsher punishment and a more fair ruling. But like some of the Mods have said in the past, they have their own lives, and they're also people so not everybody's going to agree with their ruling but they're trying to help us all and end the arguments. Am I saying Abellia's wrong? No, I'm just saying that she or he shouldn't be super harsh on the staff because of this but she should just state that we need more fair rulings and more fair Final Decisions, I think Ineffective Moderation was a bit too far. But Abellia is right, they volunteered to be moderators and take care of WBO's Problems and Issues or just decisions so just because they have a life doesn't mean that they have any right to ignore their responsibilities. Overall, I think there should've been a bit of harsher punishment in this scenario because Abellia just asked a Question and kinda got greeted by a mean response and that the ruling should've been fairer but saying that the Moderation is "Ineffective" is a bit too far in my opinion. You can yell at me or say whatever you want to be if you're mad or upset about my post but I'm just stating my opinion and if you have a problem with it, feel free to reply to me and I'll get back to you as soon as I can! Smile (Okay the last part was a bit sarcastic but I mean what I say)

Well, "ineffective moderation" is certainly a harsh term, but I don't think it's necessarily too far. If I had aimed my post at the specific incident, it would have come off toeing the line much closer to breaking a rule, and anything about the particular ways the moderation team was ineffective would exclude just a little too much of what they aren't doing enough of with their jobs.

I will also add - there is no "Mods side and Abellia's Side." We are ultimately working towards the same goals, or on paper we should be aiming for the same goals.

Also - there is no point censoring the name of the other user if you literally tell people the other person who was involved. That was done for a reason.
(Mar. 31, 2022  3:09 AM)Abellia Wrote:
(Mar. 31, 2022  2:59 AM)BurningSands Wrote: I disagree. If a mod or any other person has a reason to leave or be offline/limited activity temporarily, they probably let their fellow mods know or put a temporary status for the public to see. On the other hand, leaving without any reason given and not letting people know is indeed irresponsible

Well, yeah, but what are the chances of all the mods taking a week off at the same time?

Lol, that’s a good question I can answer,I wouldn’t say they all took off I’d say some were on vacation, overloaded with work, or busy with collage and etc. and I’d say the other half: just got distracted with other members and we’re busy doing that and then that’s when the ex-member quarrel came into attention
(Mar. 31, 2022  3:09 AM)Abellia Wrote:
(Mar. 31, 2022  2:59 AM)BurningSands Wrote: I disagree. If a mod or any other person has a reason to leave or be offline/limited activity temporarily, they probably let their fellow mods know or put a temporary status for the public to see. On the other hand, leaving without any reason given and not letting people know is indeed irresponsible

(Mar. 31, 2022  3:08 AM)UnseenBurst Wrote: I didn't really want to get into this but looks like I have to. At first, I was kinda confused about this Whole Argument and which side was actually right but thinking about it now I think I agree with a bit with both sides. (Mods Side and Abellia's Side.) Abellia was right, the certain someone (Names shall not be mentioned.) Shouldn't really have lost their cool like that and I agree that there should've been a bit harsher punishment and a more fair ruling. But like some of the Mods have said in the past, they have their own lives, and they're also people so not everybody's going to agree with their ruling but they're trying to help us all and end the arguments. Am I saying Abellia's wrong? No, I'm just saying that she or he shouldn't be super harsh on the staff because of this but she should just state that we need more fair rulings and more fair Final Decisions, I think Ineffective Moderation was a bit too far. But Abellia is right, they volunteered to be moderators and take care of WBO's Problems and Issues or just decisions so just because they have a life doesn't mean that they have any right to ignore their responsibilities. Overall, I think there should've been a bit of harsher punishment in this scenario because Abellia just asked a Question and kinda got greeted by a mean response and that the ruling should've been fairer but saying that the Moderation is "Ineffective" is a bit too far in my opinion. You can yell at me or say whatever you want to be if you're mad or upset about my post but I'm just stating my opinion and if you have a problem with it, feel free to reply to me and I'll get back to you as soon as I can! Smile (Okay the last part was a bit sarcastic but I mean what I say)

Well, "ineffective moderation" is certainly a harsh term, but I don't think it's necessarily too far. If I had aimed my post at the specific incident, it would have come off toeing the line much closer to breaking a rule, and anything about the particular ways the moderation team was ineffective would exclude just a little too much of what they aren't doing enough of with their jobs.

I will also add - there is no "Mods side and Abellia's Side." We are ultimately working towards the same goals, or on paper we should be aiming for the same goals.

Also - there is no point censoring the name of the other user if you literally tell people the other person who was involved. That was done for a reason.

I know everybody knows who was involved in the situation but it is kinda rude to just call at people like that even if they did do something bad so I prefer not to. Yes I agree we were all on the same side but I didn't want anyone to think I was trying to side with a Mod or Crab and that I'm a Mod Pet. Usually breaking some of the rules doesn't result in an Instant Ban, you just continue getting warnings until you've done something Truly Bad so the mods have to kick you. And yes I still think that Ineffective Moderation is harsh and doesn't really provide the point of your thread because that's like saying every Decision is bad by the Mods and that their Moderation is terrible. I'm not trying to be rude or anything but that's what I think Ineffective Moderation means in this sense
Yay, I get to use a star wars quote!

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." 

You can be hurt without being completely paralyzed from the neck down, in much the same way being ineffective does not mean effectively nonexistent.
Abellia I can not speak for the moderators or anyone but myself. And regardless of what anyone thinks, including myself, this is all volunteer work and effort. DeceasedCrab volunteered to host a tournament for free, where he actually loses his own free time and money with gas and parts etc. And he chooses to do so because of his love and enjoyment for Beyblade and the community. I have seen the tournament reports Crab puts in and they are some of the most thorough I have ever seen. He puts his all into it and although I think he could've responded to you better, I truly feel that he felt undermined from the situation between you two. He also has the right to modify the ruleset to suit him within an unranked event. He was testing for specific results and other test will be planned in the future dependent on this one.

Also, the staff are volunteers they have 0 obligation to any of this. We can all think what we'd like but if they chose to quit right now then that would be that. Antagonizing them or this situation won't help. It is as Mana said, things happen behind closed doors that we do not see. We get to enjoy this site, hosting events, posting events and meeting new friends because of the work that has been put into this site for over a decade. We can complain on this or that but words are just words to be honest.

I employ you next time to host your own testing event with a format you prefer. Or I employ you to work to become a moderator and be the difference you want to see. Because now it just seems you are trying to facilitate and complain on how others should do things, when you could actually work towards achieving your desired goals for yourself. Stay cool and take care.
(Mar. 31, 2022  3:44 AM)StayCool Wrote: Abellia I can not speak for the moderators or anyone but myself. And regardless of what anyone thinks, including myself, this is all volunteer work and effort. DeceasedCrab volunteered to host a tournament for free, where he actually loses his own free time and money with gas and parts etc. And he chooses to do so because of his love and enjoyment for Beyblade and the community.  I have seen the tournament reports Crab puts in and they are some of the most thorough I have ever seen. He puts his all into it and although I think he could've responded to you better, I truly feel that he felt undermined from the situation between you two. He also has the right to modify the ruleset to suit him within an unranked event. He was testing for specific results and other test will be planned in the future dependent on this one.

Also, the staff are volunteers they have 0 obligation to any of this. We can all think what we'd like but if they chose to quit right now then that would be that. Antagonizing them or this situation won't help. It is as Mana said, things happen behind closed doors that we do not see. We get to enjoy this site, hosting events, posting events and meeting new friends because of the work that has been put into this site for over a decade. We can complain on this or that but words are just words to be honest.

I employ you next time to host your own testing event with a format you prefer. Or I employ you to work to become a moderator and be the difference you want to see. Because now it just seems you are trying to facilitate and complain on  how others should do things, when you could actually work towards achieving your desired goals for yourself. Stay cool and take care.
I actually do fully intend to host an event at some point down the line. Regardless of this - why should someone who helps the community get a by for being rude on a regular basis? Several people have brought this up as an argument, and I will address it again - you don't get a by to break rules by hosting tournaments.

Regarding staff being volunteers - I don't see how this makes any difference, as I have stated before. The job is grueling and thankless, yes, but if you choose to take it on, you have an obligation to do the job properly. For a comparison - when you earn your volunteer hours, the organization that you are volunteering under is obligated to give you your hours, but you are not obligated to put in the work. However, this does not mean that you should just laze around and get your hours done without ever doing any of the associated work.

I employ you to try looking at things from the perspective of an outsider coming into the WBO and trying to enjoy themselves playing beyblade, who immediately gets rules broken against them with nothing done about it.
(Mar. 31, 2022  4:05 AM)Abellia Wrote:
(Mar. 31, 2022  3:44 AM)StayCool Wrote: Abellia I can not speak for the moderators or anyone but myself. And regardless of what anyone thinks, including myself, this is all volunteer work and effort. DeceasedCrab volunteered to host a tournament for free, where he actually loses his own free time and money with gas and parts etc. And he chooses to do so because of his love and enjoyment for Beyblade and the community.  I have seen the tournament reports Crab puts in and they are some of the most thorough I have ever seen. He puts his all into it and although I think he could've responded to you better, I truly feel that he felt undermined from the situation between you two. He also has the right to modify the ruleset to suit him within an unranked event. He was testing for specific results and other test will be planned in the future dependent on this one.

I employ you next time to host your own testing event with a format you prefer. Or I employ you to work to become a moderator and be the difference you want to see. Because now it just seems you are trying to facilitate and complain on  how others should do things, when you could actually work towards achieving your desired goals for yourself. Stay cool and take care.
I actually do fully intend to host an event at some point down the line. Regardless of this - why should someone who helps the community get a by for being rude on a regular basis? Several people have brought this up as an argument, and I will address it again - you don't get a by to break rules by hosting tournaments.

Regarding staff being volunteers - I don't see how this makes any difference, as I have stated before. The job is grueling and thankless, yes, but if you choose to take it on, you have an obligation to do the job properly. For a comparison - when you earn your volunteer hours, the organization that you are volunteering under is obligated to give you your hours, but you are not obligated to put in the work. However, this does not mean that you can just laze around.

I employ you to try looking at things from the perspective of an outsider coming into the WBO and trying to enjoy themselves playing beyblade, who immediately gets rules broken against them with nothing done about it.

From what I'm reading here it seems like you're implying that the staff are being lazy just because of the Person who Overreacted and I'm gonna have to disagree with that. Being a Staff Member can probably be hard because you have to balance your Normal Life with taking care of the WBO and making sure that it isn't on fire the next time you come back to check on it. I know what you're going to say "That is not an Excuse. They need to still do their job" and I agree, I never said they weren't I'm just saying that balancing Mod Life and Normal Life can be difficult sometimes most likely. Sometimes the Staff's decisions aren't something everyone agrees on and it is all a matter of opinions. I personally don't think the staff are lazy and they're trying to do the best for us and sometimes they make Mistakes because guess what this is a Shocker: They are human too. All of their decisions can't be perfect because their humans, if they were then that would prove my theory that all of the Staff are Bots in disguise and are acting like regular humans. Anyways, this is why I feel like using the word "Ineffective Moderation" is a bit too harsh since they make mistakes too but usually, their decisions are really good for the WBO and most of the time solve all arguments. So please try being more patient and considerate.
(Mar. 31, 2022  4:21 AM)UnseenBurst Wrote:
(Mar. 31, 2022  4:05 AM)Abellia Wrote: I actually do fully intend to host an event at some point down the line. Regardless of this - why should someone who helps the community get a by for being rude on a regular basis? Several people have brought this up as an argument, and I will address it again - you don't get a by to break rules by hosting tournaments.

Regarding staff being volunteers - I don't see how this makes any difference, as I have stated before. The job is grueling and thankless, yes, but if you choose to take it on, you have an obligation to do the job properly. For a comparison - when you earn your volunteer hours, the organization that you are volunteering under is obligated to give you your hours, but you are not obligated to put in the work. However, this does not mean that you can just laze around.

From what I'm reading here it seems like you're implying that the staff are being lazy just because of the Person who Overreacted and I'm gonna have to disagree with that. Being a Staff Member can probably be hard because you have to balance your Normal Life with taking care of the WBO and making sure that it isn't on fire the next time you come back to check on it. I know what you're going to say "That is not an Excuse. They need to still do their job" and I agree, I never said they weren't I'm just saying that balancing Mod Life and Normal Life can be difficult sometimes most likely. Sometimes the Staff's decisions aren't something everyone agrees on and it is all a matter of opinions. I personally don't think the staff are lazy and they're trying to do the best for us and sometimes they make Mistakes because guess what this is a Shocker: They are human too. All of their decisions can't be perfect because their humans, if they were then that would prove my theory that all of the Staff are Bots in disguise and are acting like regular humans. Anyways, this is why I feel like using the word "Ineffective Moderation" is a bit too harsh since they make mistakes too but usually, their decisions are really good for the WBO and most of the time solve all arguments. So please try being more patient and considerate.

For the 5th? Or 6th time. I'm implying the staff are not doing their job because nothing has been done in several instances for long periods of time.

As for ineffective moderation being too harsh - did you read what I posted? 

You can be hurt without being completely paralyzed from the neck down, in much the same way being ineffective does not mean effectively nonexistent.

I have been plenty patient, a week is absolutely enough time to deal with any standalone incident.
(Mar. 31, 2022  4:35 AM)Abellia Wrote:
(Mar. 31, 2022  4:21 AM)UnseenBurst Wrote: From what I'm reading here it seems like you're implying that the staff are being lazy just because of the Person who Overreacted and I'm gonna have to disagree with that. Being a Staff Member can probably be hard because you have to balance your Normal Life with taking care of the WBO and making sure that it isn't on fire the next time you come back to check on it. I know what you're going to say "That is not an Excuse. They need to still do their job" and I agree, I never said they weren't I'm just saying that balancing Mod Life and Normal Life can be difficult sometimes most likely. Sometimes the Staff's decisions aren't something everyone agrees on and it is all a matter of opinions. I personally don't think the staff are lazy and they're trying to do the best for us and sometimes they make Mistakes because guess what this is a Shocker: They are human too. All of their decisions can't be perfect because their humans, if they were then that would prove my theory that all of the Staff are Bots in disguise and are acting like regular humans. Anyways, this is why I feel like using the word "Ineffective Moderation" is a bit too harsh since they make mistakes too but usually, their decisions are really good for the WBO and most of the time solve all arguments. So please try being more patient and considerate.

For the 5th? Or 6th time. I'm implying the staff are not doing their job because nothing has been done in several instances for long periods of time.

As for ineffective moderation being too harsh - did you read what I posted? 

I have been plenty patient, a week is absolutely enough time to deal with any standalone incident.

What right do you have to call the Staff lazy? They have to Grade Organizer Quizzes, Make sure the WBO doesn't explode in arguments and have to write Essay Paragraphs almost every day about almost basically everything that happens here. I do not get that Star Wars Quote whatsoever but I never said I didn't read what you said, I said that I still think that Ineffective Moderation is still too harsh and unnecessary no matter how you try to explain it or try making it sound less Harsh. I'm not saying that I agreed with the Person who Overreacted I'm just saying that the way you're getting upset at the staff just because they made a Ruling that you didn't think made the Argument end fairly is kinda getting out of hand calling the Staff too lazy to deal with the problems here. The staff taught me the ropes here and if they were too "Lazy" to do so then I would've been banned by now. I'm grateful that the staff gave me so many chances to redeem myself so I cannot stand here while you just call the staff lazy for just making the Wrong Ruling in your opinion. Maybe talk to CitrusNinja about all the hard work the other staff does. If you think you can do better then tell me what you would've done in this situation. Have a nice evening.
I think all that needs to be said have been said.  People are entitled to their opinion on how effective WBO staff is or isn’t.  I don’t think minds are going to be changed here today.  I hate for this thread to be closed because of an argument spiraling out of control.  Let’s face it, if we close this thread….. then COVER UP!!!  For all of you that supported the staff, I am sure my colleague and I appreciate your kind words.  For those of you who have criticism for us, I think we have heard it loud and clear.
I feel like it's worth pointing out that You Know Who is going to receive repercussions. You are right in saying that his attitude is not excused by being an organizer, and he has taken lumps from us before. As soon as we saw the argument in the other thread, we were already internally saying "yeah, he deserves consequences for this". It's the kind of thing that takes a bit more time to deliberate on the exact details of, and if anything now its going to come slower because you're now splitting our time between this and that. A lot of the issues you've brought up here WRT speed of moderation, moderators online at a given time, etc. are ones we've been discussing at length behind closed doors, but it's more complicated than flipping a switch that says "more time for modding" or "add X amount of mods". I wish I had a better answer than just "we're working on it", but it is what it is. If you want to help us be productive, we'd welcome that wholeheartedly, but arguing in circles on this thread will probably just end up making you more and more upset and nothing else, so putting the thread to bed might be worth it for your own sake. We all want the same thing at the end of the day, better moderation on a the site, and we won't be overlooking that.

edit: i seem to have missed the party by typing this for 20 minutes. oh well, point still stands
(Mar. 31, 2022  5:02 AM)TrainiacJ Wrote: I feel like it's worth pointing out that You Know Who is going to receive repercussions. You are right in saying that his attitude is not excused by being an organizer, and he has taken lumps from us before. As soon as we saw the argument in the other thread, we were already internally saying "yeah, he deserves consequences for this". It's the kind of thing that takes a bit more time to deliberate on the exact details of, and if anything now its going to come slower because you're now splitting our time between this and that. A lot of the issues you've brought up here WRT speed of moderation, moderators online at a given time, etc. are ones we've been discussing at length behind closed doors, but it's more complicated than flipping a switch that says "more time for modding" or "add X amount of mods". I wish I had a better answer than just "we're working on it", but it is what it is. If you want to help us be productive, we'd welcome that wholeheartedly, but arguing in circles on this thread will probably just end up making you more and more upset and nothing else, so putting the thread to bed might be worth it for your own sake. We all want the same thing at the end of the day, better moderation on a the site, and we won't be overlooking that.

edit: i seem to have missed the party by typing this for 20 minutes. oh well, point still stands

Thanks for the communication! Well, at least something is getting done - it certainly didn't feel like it, up until today, and I'm sure you can understand my concern that it would somehow be discarded with discussions taking a long time and getting interrupted by another, more another urgent matter, and then subsequently forgotten. I certainly understand that improving the effectiveness of a moderation team is no easy task, and that there is a lot more to it than bringing more members on or making the moderators use more of the time in their day to do their work - rather, I think the two issues are coverage and efficiency, but I won't elaborate here. I will gladly help to be productive, although frankly my own time is limited (at least until the end of April).

Also, yeah, this thread can be closed now, I think. No new arguments have been brought forth in 20 posts ("the moderators are volunteers" "You Know Who does community work so they get a by" and "the moderators could be busy"), and I'm getting tired of quoting myself.