If Beyblade was an official sport...

Absolutely it should be a sport! While games such as basket ball and rugby have hands in use, there is no proper "sport" that focusses on the hands as much as beyblades other than cricket, and not only that, beyblades also focus on the mind and even though we don't know it, it improves our thinking mathematically. For instance, don't you try better combinations, thinking about weight height and stability? dont we try to maximise our beys efficiency by swapping parts? When we launch we automatically calculate speed, power, distance and time. And we do this in a split second! Some people say that anybody can play beyblade. But then in that  case, cant anybody play cricket? So if cricket is considered a international sport, taken seriously by everyone, why shouldnt beyblade be? Now someone said we already have tournaments, what else do we need? Well, do you know the average amount of money Indian cricketers earn a year? 1 million! Thats more than any blader makes out of selling his beys. Like someone above said, imagine if a company sponsored a team of bladers? We would have actual arenas where people would come and cheer, just like in the anime. Wouldnt so many more people have jobs? Wouldnt we all like to have it as a sport in our schools? and actually get sports marks, for how many bey points we had? I think this should be an actual, international sport.
It all depends on the persons perception and idea of what it is. No matter what it is, sport or not, it will always be held in high regards for any number of people.
I think that it depends if beyblade is a hobby or passion for the blader
I really think we should make beyblade into a sport, for audiences everywhere! We would have to start making the larger stadiums, and hopefully make the strings longer in string launcher. And probably get something stronger than the string they have right now to refrain from training and battling a lot.Then we would have to start hosting tournaments for teams\schools that are looking for bladers to represent their school. I know it sounds like the anime but if the world would change this way we could set up the entire beyblade future into something bright and really awesome for the younger generation! And of course they would have to start making new types of beys with 3D printing. It may cost schools or trainers a of money and I mean A LOT, but hopefully it'll be useful for them! Well that's all I gotta say please leave your thoughts below thank you!
You seem to believe in Anime fantasy. Seriously large stadiums have many disadvantages. Like quick wearing of drivers and attack type missing targets , less ko, and everything you said already has its own thread
I think you're worrying too much about how others perceive the game of Beyblade. It's not a crazy big deal to the world, so what?

You want to make a difference? That's good. Help get tournaments going in your area. Help people get started and be patient with them if it takes them a while to understand. And if someone doesn't like Beyblade? That's fine. Forcing people to like something is silly and even mean. Plus, this is not a cheap hobby. Whatever happens happens.

But there's not a single thing wrong with toys, and Beyblade doesn't have to be labeled a "sport" to be great. What matters is that we enjoy it, and forget what others think.

That's my opinion, anyway.
(Apr. 18, 2018  6:12 AM)Adarsh Abhinav Wrote: You seem to believe in Anime fantasy. Seriously large stadiums have many disadvantages. Like quick wearing of drivers and attack type missing targets , less ko, and everything you said already has its own thread

Well I didn't see anyo thread for this so I created my own, and I may live in a fantasy and hope for the best yet people look at only that bad things don't move forward.
(Apr. 18, 2018  6:45 AM)Hyptic Wrote:
(Apr. 18, 2018  6:12 AM)Adarsh Abhinav Wrote: You seem to believe in Anime fantasy. Seriously large stadiums have many disadvantages. Like quick wearing of drivers and attack type missing targets , less ko, and everything you said already has its own thread

Well I didn't see anyo thread for this so I created my own, and I may live in a fantasy and hope for the best yet people look at only that bad things don't move forward.

You didn't saw one because you didn't searched it
Idk about big stadiums but we could really use longer strings
(Apr. 18, 2018  7:08 AM)Limetka Wrote: Idk about big stadiums but we could really use longer strings

More wear, less stability
(Apr. 18, 2018  7:08 AM)Limetka Wrote: Idk about big stadiums but we could really use longer strings

if you want a longer string, install one.  it takes 5 minutes. (for non wbo use, of course).

however you might find that harder launches do not lead to better matches and more stamina.

the god layer system (and maybe super-z) is the result of many years of balancing trade offs and probabilities.  i’ve found everything (beys, stadiums, launchers, etc) is pretty well optimized if you are willing to see things in context.
Several things:
1. I think you're severely overestimating how popular something can be. I can't for the life of me see Beyblade tournaments as anything more than a fandom hobby to get together and test combos
2. Arm strength doesn't mean jack [CENSORED] in launch strength, especially for string launchers where what matters most is arm speed which doesn't require sports level muscle conditioning
3. Giant Stadiums are a terrible idea, the main issue with Attack Types already is that banking patterns miss their targets, even in the stadiums you consider to be "too small". More room to roam equals more room to miss so Attack Types will become even more disadvantaged
Yeah I'm going to go with everyone else in this thread.

Similar to what Frostic Fox said, Beyblades don't need to be labelled as a sport to be good, after all, it's not like labelling it as such makes the actual game better or worse. I think it's fine to continue seeing these as toys, and should just stay as a hobby, a good one at that. It overcomplicate things when we don't keep it confined into a simple hobby.

It could be how others see it but Beyblades, and spinning tops in general nowadays don't have an established credit which warrants it successful enough to become a sport. Beyblade is pretty popular, yeah, but this isn't League of Legends level, and probably has less appeal to many.

And imagine the nightmare of banning combinations and parts? If it was some huge sport then I can't imagine the idea of needing to ban pieces and such run smoothly, it's already sort of a hassle on the WBO from what I've seen. Even with check ups and all that, super powerful parts can easily slip under the radar and imagine having your parts tested to make sure it's fair, especially the amount? That would be an absolute disaster. Remember, people could make ANYTHING in your idea, even round heavy tops. And let's not get started on fine-tuning, modding and remolding them, it's complicated enough without them.

And yeah this does sound exactly like the anime, especially Beyblade Burst. And unfortunately even in that series, the popularity of Beyblading are much higher than they are IRL. Beyblade is nothing like Football or League of Legends in terms of size, at best it would be Robot Wars level, seeing as that and your ideas have a few similarities to how I'd imagine they'd run in tournaments.

We aren't trying to be pessimistic over the idea, everyone who disagreed with your idea are thinking realistically, and giving reasons as to why it wouldn't necessarily be an improvement.
As a 21 year old I would love to see this happen in a bigger scale. Realistically it can't happen. The only change this age accepts is technology. A whole sport based on a hobby would've been more feasible a couple hundred years ago and you'd have no issues having this as a sport. I support your idea but I just don't see it happening inthis lifetime.
We may tell ourselves that we are not being pessimistic just "realistic" but we are because most of these are conjectures not facts
(Apr. 18, 2018  6:12 AM)Adarsh Abhinav Wrote: You seem to believe in Anime fantasy. Seriously large stadiums have many disadvantages. Like quick wearing of drivers and attack type missing targets , less ko..
Most if not all bladers got interested in beyblade because of the anime and unlike previous generations burst has a level of reality which also influences it's popularity along with sales of parts.Also attack types missing their targets is the reason for less KO, no need to extrapolate
(Apr. 18, 2018  7:17 AM)Adarsh Abhinav Wrote: More wear, less stability
That's your opinion but wear depends on friction which depends on the contacting surfaces so if the stadiums material dosen't change then neither does friction and also if we consider a different materials, metal drivers would solve this problem.And the stability you're referring to depends on the stadiums slope but adjusting the curvature solves this (zankye has 1 such transparent stadium )
(Apr. 18, 2018  1:36 PM)RedPanda2 Wrote: if you want a longer string, install one.  it takes 5 minutes. (for non wbo use, of course).

however you might find that harder launches do not lead to better matches and more stamina.

the god layer system (and maybe super-z) is the result of many years of balancing trade offs and probabilities.  i’ve found everything (beys, stadiums, launchers, etc) is pretty well optimized if you are willing to see things in context.
Very true but there's a chance they considered production cost,demand,affordability,e.t.c so like the blue Hasbro beystadium............?
(Apr. 18, 2018  3:46 PM)MonoDragon Wrote: Several things:
1. I think you're severely overestimating how popular something can be. I can't for the life of me see Beyblade tournaments as anything more than a fandom hobby to get together and test combos
2. Arm strength doesn't mean jack [CENSORED] in launch strength, especially for string launchers where what matters most is arm speed which doesn't require sports level muscle conditioning
3. Giant Stadiums are a terrible idea, the main issue with Attack Types already is that banking patterns miss their targets, even in the stadiums you consider to be "too small". More room to roam equals more room to miss so Attack Types will become even more disadvantaged
1.I think we are in fact underestimating how popular something can be lots of popular things,trends and even footbal clubs may not make sense to us but they have their followers , the fact is: only a supreme intelligence could analyse all the different factors that determine popularity say (pricing,advertising,season,design,related media,social media....)But the way I see it beyblade is really popular; my YouTube channel has just 9 subscribers but viewers from 22 countries (United States,Germany,japan,Nigeria,Egypt,India,UK,canada..) and YouTubers like BBG have over 500k subscribers with some videos like the spin hack vid having up to 1.7million views.
2.Like RedPanda2 said, there's actually more to launching.And in my (little) experience you need practice to know the sweet spot in arm positioning,speed and beyblade combos to maximize our launches.And as an active beybladewiki contributor you know all about banking,sliding shot,weak launching, spin direction,counter-picking so beyblade at least requires sport-level decision making.(Though beyblade dosen't necessarily have to fall into the group of muscle sports, just like chess and e-sports at least burst toys are hazards that require a stadium shield thing?)
3.Stadiums came up a lot and like I mentioned above, stadium material,, driver material, curvature,e.t.c could fix this and all this is mostly a mechanical problem; if Hasbro wanted to make heavier,larger beys that do more damage per impact or metal drivers that have less friction or electrical launchers they could (probably?) so the main problem seems to be cost and audience.Kevo recently made a mod with z-Achiles with a modded orbit driver and anyone who saw that beautiful display would know it needed a wider stadium.But if for some reason TT believe this would rake in more cash, then I don't see why they wouldn't. (Quick question won't a stamia-attack hybrid driver like atomic increase effectiveness of attack types?I can't test this myself)

(Apr. 18, 2018  6:44 AM)Frostic Fox Wrote: I think you're worrying too much about how others perceive the game of Beyblade. It's not a crazy big deal to the world, so what?

You want to make a difference? That's good. Help get tournaments going in your area. Help people get started and be patient with them if it takes them a while to understand. And if someone doesn't like Beyblade? That's fine. Forcing people to like something is silly and even mean. Plus, this is not a cheap hobby. Whatever happens happens.

But there's not a single thing wrong with toys, and Beyblade doesn't have to be labeled a "sport" to be great. What matters is that we enjoy it, and forget what others think.

This is a community and it'sonly natural to share your thoughts and I don't see what's wrong in worrying how other bladers and non bladers perceive the game (the WBO , TT and Hasbro all seem to be in favour of growing the Beyblade community so strategies are in order)Also your comments on "forcing people to like something" is unrelated.

(Apr. 18, 2018  4:26 PM)Jinbee Wrote: Yeah I'm going to go with everyone else in this thread.

Similar to what Frostic Fox said, Beyblades don't need to be labelled as a sport to be good, after all, it's not like labelling it as such makes the actual game better or worse. I think it's fine to continue seeing these as toys, and should just stay as a hobby, a good one at that. It overcomplicate things when we don't keep it confined into a simple hobby.

It could be how others see it but Beyblades, and spinning tops in general nowadays don't have an established credit which warrants it successful enough to become a sport. Beyblade is pretty popular, yeah, but this isn't League of Legends level, and probably has less appeal to many.

And imagine the nightmare of banning combinations and parts? If it was some huge sport then I can't imagine the idea of needing to ban pieces and such run smoothly, it's already sort of a hassle on the WBO from what I've seen. Even with check ups and all that, super powerful parts can easily slip under the radar and imagine having your parts tested to make sure it's fair, especially the amount? That would be an absolute disaster. Remember, people could make ANYTHING in your idea, even round heavy tops. And let's not get started on fine-tuning, modding and remolding them, it's complicated enough without them.

And yeah this does sound exactly like the anime, especially Beyblade Burst. And unfortunately even in that series, the popularity of Beyblading are much higher than they are IRL. Beyblade is nothing like Football or League of Legends in terms of size, at best it would be Robot Wars level, seeing as that and your ideas have a few similarities to how I'd imagine they'd run in tournaments.

We aren't trying to be pessimistic over the idea, everyone who disagreed with your idea are thinking realistically, and giving reasons as to why it wouldn't necessarily be an improvement.
You seem to acknowledge that even video games and TCGs can be sports.
Theres a problem with the definition of a sport, it's one of the more dynamic words.Google:"an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment SYNUnhappycompetitive games,physical recreation,physical activity, physical exercise, hobby

Yet we have E-Sports that have a lot more money and sponsors recently and chess is even an Olympic sport(and no matter how much blood a chess player pumps to his/her brain, it dosen't count as physical exertion)My point being that hobbies,games,sports are all the same and like you noted what really make a sport is followership.And beyblade has all the makings of a popular sport rules,variety of combos,and strategy in points for b.f,s.f.o.f, types , switching beys, changing modes , counter-picking (you know very well how much weight,burst resistance tip, recoil,e.t.c) and a very deep sport at that.And how many hobbies can boast of world championships and 100s of tournaments annually both official and unofficial.

(Apr. 18, 2018  4:47 PM)Thunder Blur Wrote: As a 21 year old I would love to see this happen in a bigger scale. Realistically it can't happen. The only change this age accepts is technology. A whole sport based on a hobby would've been more feasible a couple hundred years ago and you'd have no issues having this as a sport. I support your idea but I just don't see it happening inthis lifetime.

That's not accurate; chess is a hobby and an Olympic sport and trading card games are hobbies yet have large followings. (Along with E-sports I believe it hasn't been too long)

In my opinion beyblade has a pretty good shot at this, it originates from spinning tops games like beigoma which started long ago in several cultures so whatever appealed to them then and still appeals to us now is our secret weapon. (I can't count the number of young adults that got into the game after buying it for a brother son, daughter). I think the major problem is that most of the good stuff and support is limited to Japan which dosen't really boast population or a large media presence (I'm sure some people don't know pokemon is a Japanese thing )but it's clear to me that TT also want to make it a sport seeing as how their tournaments mimmick the anime (down to the cosplay mc) and hopefully the new worldwide approach will give beyblade the attention it deserves but if not anytime soon "whatever happens happens" ( isn't that right frostic Fox?)
  So I'm with kryptic on this one.We don't know what can happen but if we can add more heat and spice to battles I'm all for it.Also BBG's spin hack video has 1.7million vies and WBO'ssliding shot lesson video has 3.1 (much more than the average unboxing) and the trend is the same for other "how to....in real life " videos so it seems most people are interested in beyblade as a sport...............I'm going to rest now (please forgive any errors I'm tired)
(Apr. 18, 2018  9:39 PM)TechnicalBlader Wrote:
(Apr. 18, 2018  6:44 AM)Frostic Fox Wrote: I think you're worrying too much about how others perceive the game of Beyblade. It's not a crazy big deal to the world, so what?

This is a community and it'sonly natural to share your thoughts and I don't see what's wrong in worrying how other bladers and non bladers perceive the game (the WBO , TT and Hasbro all seem to be in favour of growing the Beyblade community so strategies are in order)Also your comments on "forcing people to like something" is unrelated.

Honestly, I feel you're nitpicking at my word choices and not really reading what I said. If I explained myself poorly, allow me to clarify.

I expressed that I felt the OP seemed overly concerned, not that you can't have any concerns in the slightest. (Feel free to still disagree.) I praised interest in helping the community grow, and explained a way to do so.

I didn't say the OP was trying to force anybody to do anything. It was part of my natural speaking of difference of opinions. You're going to meet people who don't like what you do, and you have to be OK with that. That's what I'm saying. When you're trying to spread Beyblade, be sure you don't try to force it on anybody. It's important to keep in mind.

But whether you deem it "realistic" or "pessimistic" or whatever, I feel you'd have to admit that life is full of people having different opinions and not letting those rule you is part of a good life. And it works the other way around, too.

I think the #1 effort should be toward getting tournaments in your area (or something akin to that), and you have to be willing to help others learn the game and get started. I think that is the clear way to grow the community and help people who do already have interest in the game find others to share their interest with. (Finding other people has been so important for me! :) ) You have to make an effort. Like you pointed out that I said, whatever happens from there is what happens. But yeah, you have to make an effort.

But what do you think about that? I mean, you didn't comment on my advice there before, for whatever reason.

But at the end of the day, if someone has a problem with "toys", I feel sorry for them.
(Apr. 18, 2018  10:17 PM)Frostic Fox Wrote: Honestly, I feel you're nitpicking at my word choices and not really reading what I said. If I explained myself poorly, allow me to clarify.

I expressed that I felt the OP seemed overly concerned, not that you can't have any concerns in the slightest. (Feel free to still disagree.) I praised interest in helping the community grow, and explained a way .....
Please forgive my human error now I see that your comments on "forcing people" is related to what you said about tournaments. Other than what I commented on I think everything else is great advice but I didn't want it to seem like I was judging (saying what's right and what's wrong)and it's the same for others.And except in your case where I was "nitpicking" I commented on ideas, not people themselves.
        Also I absolutely agree with you, tournaments are always making new members and especially now that leaderboards are back, it should start feeling more like a sport soon.
It would still be pretty sick to see Victory Valtryek Boost Variable bounce around the stadium crazy fast.

Think how much fun you’d have using your entire body to launch the beyblade.
(Apr. 19, 2018  5:57 AM)TechnicalBlader Wrote:
(Apr. 18, 2018  10:17 PM)Frostic Fox Wrote: Honestly, I feel you're nitpicking at my word choices and not really reading what I said. If I explained myself poorly, allow me to clarify.

I expressed that I felt the OP seemed overly concerned, not that you can't have any concerns in the slightest. (Feel free to still disagree.) I praised interest in helping the community grow, and explained a way .....
Please forgive my human error now I see that your comments on "forcing people" is related to what you said about tournaments. Other than what I commented on I think everything else is great advice but I didn't want it to seem like I was judging (saying what's right and what's wrong)and it's the same for others.And except in your case where I was "nitpicking" I commented on ideas, not people themselves.
        Also I absolutely agree with you, tournaments are always making new members and especially now that leaderboards are back, it should start feeling more like a sport soon.

I think it's important that we feel free to share our opinions, but at the same time, try to find something positive and constructive. I'm not perfect and screw up too though (especially if I'm posting after 2am or something, haha).

I think many of us here would agree that we wish things were "better" for Beyblade, particularly those of us in areas where there are no tournaments and similar. I think most people in this case were put off by the anime-tied ideas, which have led to various arguments in the past. So it rubs 'em the wrong way a bit. They don't want to go through that yet again. (I think returning to those ideas would be more doable if someone made the effort to do testing and create results, which would bring something fresh to the conversation.)

I think most people here would be willing to help out where they could. Sometimes, it's just how you present your case. And tone on the internet can mess that up, too. We're all guilty of some misunderstanding or another through that. And I apologize if I misunderstood your take.

So yeah @[Hyptic] I want you to know that, although not everyone may agree with your thread's stance in its details, I think it's fair to say that we would do what we can to support you in growing the hobby, the idea in general. We're all going to have our own opinions on what's best, that's just how people are, but I hope you do not get discouraged from that. Smile
@[TechnicalBlader], yes I did count something like League of Legends or anything that doesn't requite as much physical exertion. I'm not sure what's going on with the definition of the word "sport" now that e-sports and poker are now considered one, but my point isn't that Beyblade can't be a sport because it's unlike any traditional one but mainly due to lack of popularity in comparison and just because there are too many variables to consider in the tops.

Yeah you could say we aren't thinking realistically seeing as we have no proof and that it could very well be popular if it became a sport. However, Beyblade has been around longer than League of Legends and still hasn't been considered a sport, and there is probably a reason for it, other than the fact that some people might look down at these as just children toys. It's just common sense that tells us this wouldn't work, believe me there have been countless of people making "Beyblade should become a sport" ideologies, all of which have had their points favouring the possibility of it shut down.
Another thing going against beyblade as a sport is the lack of multiple companies and a streamline of regulation.

For instance, we don't see a sort of market where we have standard regulations, and multiple companies trying to make the best parts within said regulation. Rather, it's one (technically two, but ill explain why it doesnt exactly count) company that produces all the parts.

Now, why does this exactly matter?

Well, it matters because of sponsorship.

For instance, Lets say a bunch of people organised to make an International Beigoma Association. They would need to provide a single streamlined system, and a set of regulations to make sure parts are compatible and not solely proprietary. There would need to be a larger pool of companies producing parts, and not just a community relying on TT to release some random gimmicky part that could either be good or bad. Parts would need to be designed with the intent of being top tier right out of the gate.

You then get a pool of experienced bladers, and they start using and endorsing certain particular parts. They start bringing in revenue and attention, and then they get sponsored by companies for endorsing their part. This then tempts another company to make another part eith the intention of defeating the other one within the scope of the rules.

Because of the fact it is just releasing from one company, it takes a vital aspect which I find to be why beyblade itself could never be a sport: there is only one company releasing a defined line of tops, and another three companies following suit. Four different companies copying the four same beyblades strips the idea of sponsorship because they all copy from the one company that designs the tops. There arent multiple designers releasing multiple parts meant to compete and be compatible for one another.

As such, it defeats the purpose of beyblade as a sport. Of course, we could have a sister beigoma system this could work with, but not beyblade itself.
@[Jinbee] Common sense tells me the same thing but my sensibility is questionable to begin with so I sometimes ignore it.But you're right some planning is in order to make this happen and the Beyblade community,TT, and HASBRO have done a lot yet we can still do more, trending hashtags and challenges on social media and all that, but we need to first of all do something about the stigma of "toys are for children only"(hopefully with all the changes in society something could happen) because the same was once said about video games as well and all this is in fact harder than it sounds but I feel if we can reach out to more people and make it clear that beyblade is fun,ageless,e.t.c then at the very least we would stop being asked why we are playing with toys kind of like pokemongo (you won't stop anyone to ask why they've been walking around aimlessly and staring at their phones for hours?).But it's clear that everyone is working hard especially with all the new things in the WBO (review videos, taka&fumi) and hopefully we'll get there.
 We're not alone.MEGABOTS are fighting to make giant robot fighting a real sport and after investing millions of dollars and actually having a first battle against Japan with challengers from China and the CIA they are bankrupt with no staff and yet still fighting.Also ROBOMASTERS are making superstars out of engineering students through a robot-war game (you can tell I'm a mecha fan) they even have an anime, (MEGABOTS has a manga) .

@[Sion] sponsors are not always exclusive to the sport it come from hand gloves,water,shoes(link how theres Nike he for every sport),stores, (where we buy the beys) naturally when something is popular sponsors find ways to turn it into a business/advertising model (wearing only nike shirts as the most popular beyblader counts as advertising). And also I think TT works hard to balance the meta with the part bans and remakes (within a system) and there have been a lot of dark horses like acid anubis, blaze ragnaruk, ark bahamut ,deep chaos so it's too soon to discredit the meta and beyblade has so many variables like @[Jinbee] mentioned so a seemingly useless combo can perfectly counts a seemingly invincible combo (hence the dark horses) and TT and HASBRO releases are fairly different:
1.diiferent locking mechanisms almost ensures that the burst resistances differ
2.the weights of layers as well as material differ
3.and the heights of performance tips as wll (watch any BBG burst evolution comparison and maybe beybladewiki)
4.Not to mention hasbro-exclusive releases which may have been done with this in mind
Okay now we just need to figure out how to actually make it recognized and eventually get into the Olympics haha
Basically what's said in this thread.

Whether you care about it being recognized as a sport or not, the best thing for us to do for Beyblade is to help grow the community. Many of us are in isolation or at least without tournaments in our area. Help get tournaments going where there are none and support those that do exist (and the people who make them a reality). Be patient and help new people who are interested learn and get started.

Each of us can play a part. We can do it together.

Things don't get made into sports if they're not popular enough. I don't care about it being considered a sport, but I think the community needs help building up to be good for all the people who are currently interested and those who might be interested. Whatever comes from its growth will be, whatever it is, but effort and action is needed all the same.