How to Edit and Create Articles on the Wiki

Note: This thread was specifically created for the purpose of answering questions about editing and creating articles on the wiki, so please redirect any minor corrections or small updates you wish to post to these threads:

http://worldbeyblade.org/Thread-Errors-on-the-wiki
http://worldbeyblade.org/Thread-Beywiki-Updates

Right now, there is not a lot of people writing articles for Beywiki. Maybe its due to lack of knowledge, or maybe some people just don't know how! If it's the latter, then please take sometime to read through this thread, it will help you learn the basics of editing articles on Beywiki (and any other Wiki actually).

Getting Started
So you want to write an article? First off, figure out which topic you would like to cover. For example purposes, we will be taking a look at the Metal Fight Beyblade article.

Once you know what article you wish to create, login to Beywiki with your WBO account and simply use the search box on the top of any page of the wiki and type in the name of the article you want to write. Press "Go" and the following sentence should come up at the top of the page if the article has not yet been written: "There is no page titled "insert article name". You can create this page. ". Just click create this page and you are ready to start writing!

If you wish to edit an article, just click the "edit" tab at the top of every article.

Wikitext
Wikitext is the language used to edit all Wikis. It may seem complicated at first, but the basics are really easy to learn.

Basic Wikitext
To italicize text in an article, type two apostrophes
Code:
''August 9th, 2008''
To bold text in an article, type three apostrophes
Code:
'''Metal Fight Beyblade'''
To bold and italicize text in an article, type five apostrophes
Code:
'''''bolded and italicized text'''''
  • To create bullets on a page, type a star
Code:
*'''Face:''' Hexagonal disc that fastens the Beyblade together, similar to [[Bit Protector]] from the [[HMS]]. They feature graffiti-style illustrations on the top (i.e. Bull, Pegasus, etc).
*'''Wheel:''' Main source of attack from a Beyblade; unlike HMS, the Wheel is completely made out of metal to compensate for the lack of a Weight Disk. They use various shaped protrusions to lower the [[spin velocity]] of an opponent. The Wheel is fundamentally the same as the Attack Ring from the HMS and [[Plastic Beyblade | plastic Beyblades]].

To create headings within your article, type two-four equal signs
Code:
==Components of MFBs==
Content goes here
===Types===
Content goes here
====Smaller subsection===
Content goes here

When needed, to created a Table of Contents, simply type
Code:
__TOC__
The wiki will automatically create a ToC based on the headings you have created. Main headings will count as full numbers, while subsections will count as .1's, while smaller subsections will add another .1 onto the ToC.

To link to other pages, type two square brackets on each side of the text.
Code:
[[spin velocity]]
or, if you wish to link to another page, but the words you wish to link with are not the same as the name of the article, type
Code:
[[Survival | Stamina]]
This will link to the article called Survival, but the text being used to link to it is Stamina.

Advanced Wikitext
To add an image to an article, type
Code:
[[Image: MFBLogo.JPG|thumb| Metal Fight Beyblade logo]]

To add a link to an article, type one square bracket on each side of the text and leave a space between the link and the text that will be shown.
Code:
[http://www.takaratomy.co.jp/products/beyblade/ TAKARA-TOMY Beyblade website]

To add a gallery to an article, type
Code:
<gallery>
Image:Pegasus.jpg|Pegasus
Image:Bull.jpg|Bull
Image:Chiron.jpg|Cheiron
Image:Leo.jpg|Leo
Image:Wolf.jpg|Wolf
Image:MFB Randombooster1.jpg|Random Booster 1

Image:Balancestadium.jpg|Balance Stadium
</gallery>

To categorize an article, type
Code:
[[Category:Systems]]
anywhere in the article. If you wish to create a new category, type that same code, except with the name of the new category, and press Show Preview. At the bottom of the page it will say "Category: name", click the red text and you will be able to create the category and give it a description.

Uploading Files
Some articles will obviously require images, and to do this, you must upload the image to the website. At the bottom of any page on Beywiki, click "Upload File".

From there, click "Browse" and locate the file on your hard drive. Change the filename if you wish and give it a small summary. Then just click the "Upload File" button, and it is ready to be used.

Finishing
Once you're done editing or writing an article, add a summary of your changes or the article itself and click "Save Page". Remember to always preview your pages before you post them so you can spot any errors.

Conclusion
This may seem a little overwhelming at first, but just practice a bit and you'll be a pro in no time. There is a number of situational things you can do with the Wiki software, but it isn't really necessary to cover it here. This guide is meant to teach you the basics.

To be honest, I learned almost everything I know just by looking at the wikitext of articles that had already been written. I hope this will help make writing articles for Beywiki much easier for people who don't know how.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Someone will be able to help you out. Smile

Note: If someone could write about the Template:Beybox, that would be great. I do not have any experience with them yet.
Thanks for writing this. I'll talk about the Beybox.

At the top of each Beyblade article's code, you'll see this:

Code:
{{Beybox
| image = DEMS.jpg
| full item name = Death Gargoyle MS (Metal Scream)
| item number = MA-04
| beyblade system = [[HMS]]
| beyblade type = [[Balance]]
}}

This is the Beybox template. Just fill out what it says. Um, that's it. Make sure Beyblade System and Beyblade Type are links.
Hey I wanted to say thanks for this write up, helped me out.
i wanna right an article on dark leopard if there isn't one, but i don't think I'm cut out for it.
(Aug. 29, 2008  4:52 PM)ROCKBLADE2012 Wrote: i wanna right an article on dark leopard if there isnt one but i dont think im cut out for it

If you want to write an article on Dark Leopard, then go ahead. Just let Brad, or Kei see the article afterwards.
Yeah, I want to write articles, but my main problem is that I don't really know what parts are effective and what parts aren't. I thought I knew, but when I came to Beywiki and found out the truth, I've been rather confused. :-/

I think I'd be better off editing articles I know and getting articles started.
Expect a start-off for some of the Driger Beyblades (since I only cared to learn about them when I was younger) and for Bull soon, I guess.
(Aug. 29, 2008  4:52 PM)ROCKBLADE2012 Wrote: i wanna right an article on dark leopard if there isnt one but i dont think im cut out for it
I can tell you this for now: straighten up your grammar and spelling a bit more, then go for it.
Just edited the first post to reflect the changes of the redesigned frontpage.

To anyone that wishes to write articles, but is not sure whether they are good enough, just write the article up and post it in a thread on here. We can then point out what changes need to be made, and then adapt it for the wiki.
Hey kei thanks, for writing this, it helps out a lot I hope it was not too much trouble putting up, all the info for us.
Grey, editing articles is something useful for us as well. In addition, there are lots of articles about basic things, such as the SG System, that need to be written.
What about people who like to useing draciel blades I had info on them but lost, it like if you all don't mine i can edit some articles if they need it on draciel blades.
(Aug. 30, 2008  12:41 AM)Dranzer206 Wrote: What about people who like to useing draciel blades I had info on them but lost, it like if you all don't mine i can edit some articles if they need it on draciel blades.

Your writing skills aren't really up to par to work on the wiki.
Ok if you feel, thats the right choice I wont say another word about it.
(Aug. 30, 2008  12:54 AM)Dranzer206 Wrote: Ok if you feel, thats the right choice I wont say another word about it.

You could try sharpening it up.
I just updated the SG article. How do you post on the front page that it's been updated?
(Aug. 30, 2008  10:23 PM)Grey Wrote: I just updated the SG article. How do you post on the front page that it's been updated?

Edit this page:

http://www.beywiki.com/index.php/Templat...le_Updates
(Aug. 30, 2008  10:24 PM)Bey Brad Wrote:
(Aug. 30, 2008  10:23 PM)Grey Wrote: I just updated the SG article. How do you post on the front page that it's been updated?

Edit this page:

http://www.beywiki.com/index.php/Templat...le_Updates

Thank you. Smile
I removed the clutch section ... the clutch is in the BB, not in the EG.

Also, I may separate the EG section into a different article.
(Aug. 30, 2008  10:32 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: I removed the clutch section ... the clutch is in the BB, not in the EG.

Also, I may separate the EG section into a different article.

Alright then.

Also: Would putting in descriptions for the individual, specific parts of the MFB (as in, adding descriptions under Bull's Wheel) be okay?
If you feel you can write a strong article about the parts, sure.
(Aug. 30, 2008  10:52 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: If you feel you can write a strong article about the parts, sure.

Hmm...in that case, I think I'll hold off.

I had this for the Bull Wheel part:
-----
The Bull Wheel's main purpose is [[Upper Attack]], with rather large slopes on the wings, as well as on the central ring of the Wheel. On the underside of the Upper Attack slopes, there appears to be potential for [[Force Smash]] as well. Behind the slopes, there are two horn-like extensions, which would have Smash Attack potential in Left-Spin. Additionally, on the sides of the Wheel, there are two blunt, ring-like extensions (resembling a bull's nose-ring), although they don't seem to have any purpose.

Overall, the Bull Wheel offers nice Upper Attack, along with an array of other potential uses.
-----

...this for the Track:
-----
Track 125 is of medium height, which helps to keep the Wheel from scraping the stadium surface while maintaining balance. So far, the 125 Track has been released with Bull only, and is slated for release with [[WolfD 125B]] and [[Libra S125MS]].
-----

...And this for the Bottom:
-----
Much like the traditional Semi-Flat tip of the original Beyblades, the Semi-Flat Bottom allows for moderate movement. When knocked on it's side, the Beyblade will move in a more offensive pattern than when upright.
-----
I'm not quite sure about the Wheel, and the Track and Bottom ones are a no-brainer. :-/
Theres an error in the Draciel MS Article
It says
Weight Disk (WD): Circle Wide

Weight: 14 grams
but goes on to say
This blade is the weakest of the first three HMS blades released however it is completely worth getting. Having a 15 gram circle wide is extremely advantageous.
It's 14 grams if you're interested. Have to wait for a 'Sysops' person to change it though. XD