Hard Launch vs Light Launch

I know they have their advantages and disadvantages, I'm just not completely sure when and why to use either. Can anyone give me some examples/explanations?
With the Atomic Performance Tip, If you launch really hard, your bey would end up throwing itself into the tornado ring for an increase of speed. On my practices, trying that with Tempest Wyvron W3 4 Glaive Atomic Hasbro version with the Epic Rivals Stadium will cause that bey to fling itself out of the ring and either into a wall or the penalty pit. Having a softer launch will allow that bey to get to the center even faster and avoid catching the tornado ridge, which would cause wall hits or ring-outs.
Soft launching will increase the burst resistance of your Bey, because it'll spin slower than your opponent's Bey and the faster spinning Bey will be more effected by the recoil than your Bey. However, soft launching also gives you less defense by making it easier for your opponent to knock you out of the stadium or out spin you.
the power of your launch actually depends on what bey you're using and what your opponent is using as well. the common knowledge about this is one is that if its a stamina right vs stamina left, you usually have to weak launch if you're the left spin one to spin steal better. unless your opponent decides to weak launch aswell...... but that's one thing to take note of.
key things to think about:

1) what is the overall burst resistance of my own bey? 

2) what is the attack strength of my opponent?
(remember, attack points and weight are huge factors here, but spin direction has a lot to do with this also. same spin means bursts will be more frequent, opposite spin means less frequent)

the two of these combined are what i think of as “match burst risk”

if the risk is high, consider softer launch
if risk is low, pull as hard as you can without self KO’ing

—-

that said, now that KOs are positioning to play a larger role in the super z game, KO resistance might also need to be weighed in.

generally harder launches mean you are accepting more risk, sometimes that is the absolute right thing to do (e.g. mG vs. dC).  but outside of these stamina v stamina matches, hard launches are usually not worth the risk.

there are caveats (i.e. spin stealing, etc.) to this and i am speaking in general terms only here.
Hard launches give u way more power at the cost of control and vise versa.

Hard launches with Zillion Zeus are not recommended because it causes a semi-aggressive movement pattern and it makes it easier for your opponent to win unless you either tilt the launcher down or up when launching as hard as you can w/o breaking the launcher, stadium, or beyblade and w/o self ko-ing
Is there a good way to gauge between soft and hard launches? Or is it more of a scale you just work with?

I think one of my concerns with doing testing is gauging if I'm launching "normal". But maybe "normal" is just something that varies from person to person regardless.
(Apr. 24, 2018  4:39 AM)Frostic Fox Wrote: Is there a good way to gauge between soft and hard launches? Or is it more of a scale you just work with?

I think one of my concerns with doing testing is gauging if I'm launching "normal". But maybe "normal" is just something that varies from person to person regardless.

my personal technique, i think of the sound my launcher makes for a harder or softer launch
then i attempt to make that sound (by pulling the string)

this is kind of backwards, but it works for me
(Apr. 24, 2018  4:59 AM)RedPanda2 Wrote: my personal technique, i think of the sound my launcher makes for a harder or softer launch

I think that's really helpful! Thanks!

Is there a middle-ground, though? A "normal" or "regular", so not soft or hard? Perhaps it's just what I envision when doing tests, since people sometimes request soft or hard launches, but they most often say nothing....so I thought there might be a neutral option, too.
(Apr. 24, 2018  8:45 AM)Frostic Fox Wrote:
(Apr. 24, 2018  4:59 AM)RedPanda2 Wrote: my personal technique, i think of the sound my launcher makes for a harder or softer launch

I think that's really helpful! Thanks!

Is there a middle-ground, though? A "normal" or "regular", so not soft or hard? Perhaps it's just what I envision when doing tests, since people sometimes request soft or hard launches, but they most often say nothing....so I thought there might be a neutral option, too.

it’s an analog curve, so it’s hard to define the limits of each speed.  after thinking about it, there are probably 5 or so “levels” of launch strength for me, ranging from hard (just before the gears skip) and totally weak.
(Apr. 24, 2018  12:37 PM)RedPanda2 Wrote:
(Apr. 24, 2018  8:45 AM)Frostic Fox Wrote: I think that's really helpful! Thanks!

it’s an analog curve, so it’s hard to define the limits of each speed.  after thinking about it, there are probably 5 or so “levels” of launch strength ranging from hard (just before the gears skip) and totally weak.

It depends on the type of launcher you have. For a blue Hasbro ripcord launcher the amount of time the part that the beyblade attaches to is a good gauge, For white Hasbro launchers the volume of the snap of the part the beyblade attaches to is a good gauge & for a string launcher, it's the sound.
(Apr. 24, 2018  2:38 PM)Lucifer\s Spawn Wrote:
(Apr. 24, 2018  12:37 PM)RedPanda2 Wrote: it’s an analog curve, so it’s hard to define the limits of each speed.  after thinking about it, there are probably 5 or so “levels” of launch strength ranging from hard (just before the gears skip) and totally weak.

It depends on the type of launcher you have. For a blue Hasbro ripcord launcher the amount of time the part that the beyblade attaches to is a good gauge, For white Hasbro launchers the volume of the snap of the part the beyblade attaches to is a good gauge & for a string launcher, it's the sound.

yes, fair point
i’m referring specifically to beylaunchers only. 

i mainly use b-88 and sometimes b-99 (for Sr.Br combos). 

for the rare times i use a light launcher with long winder, it’s always at max power.
(Apr. 24, 2018  2:46 PM)RedPanda2 Wrote:
(Apr. 24, 2018  2:38 PM)Lucifer\s Spawn Wrote: It depends on the type of launcher you have. For a blue Hasbro ripcord launcher the amount of time the part that the beyblade attaches to is a good gauge, For white Hasbro launchers the volume of the snap of the part the beyblade attaches to is a good gauge & for a string launcher, it's the sound.

yes, fair point

for the rare times i use a light launcher with long winder, it’s always at max power.
I used to have 10 Takara Tomy launchers and beys, but I lost all of them when my little brother was born. I had hid them so that he wouldn't see a piece of a bey, put it in his mouth and then choke on the piece. I still to this day haven't found those suckers because I hid them so well I even hid my TT stadium so he wouldn't get hurt by tripping and falling face first into the stadium. At least I have a new burst stadium, Zillion Zeus, and ripfire Valkyrie.

(Apr. 24, 2018  9:15 PM)Lucifer\s Spawn Wrote:
(Apr. 24, 2018  2:46 PM)RedPanda2 Wrote: yes, fair point

I used to have 10 Takara Tomy launchers and beys, but I lost all of them when my little brother was born. I had hid them so that he wouldn't see a piece of a bey, put it in his mouth and then choke on the piece. I still to this day haven't found those suckers because I hid them so well I even hid my TT stadium so he wouldn't get hurt by tripping and falling face first into the stadium. At least I have a new burst stadium, Zillion Zeus, and ripfire Valkyrie.

I love launching my beys at full power. My little brother and I have epic battles because we go so hard on each other launching the beys that sometimes we accidentally knick each others' fingers and drawing a drop of blood. We also know that we'll have a less likely time with nailing each others' fingers when launching ahap (as hard as possible) when we launch with the launchers near the lip of the stadium.