Guitar Topic

If you'd like to see a picture of my gear, I'll send a pic. I got the good majority of the gear from pawn shops and friends. The only really expensive piece I have is my Tele, which I got for Christmas on sale for $700
(Mar. 21, 2009  11:32 AM)Giga Wrote: My dad has loads makes me jealous Unhappy I hate being Left Handed.

Why don't you ask him for one of his guitars so you can Hendrix it.

You know, switch the string order and stuff. The controls will be in the most awkward positions, but it's better than nothing.
My friend David is a lefty and he plays on a righty fairly well Chocked_2;;

MAKE SURE to turn the nut around if you're gonna string it backwards Pinching_eyes
i dont see the need for needing 5 guitars so early sadsdnmhas

I have one guitar and I'm going onto 3 years - an EC1000 by ESP.
As for other equipment I have a tiny (really tiny) amp by..Mega? I don't know, I got it when I began, but its actually decent for playing at home. I use a distortion pedal (Boss MT-2) to get the sound I want for now. I have a Zoom GFX too, which I honestly don't really use at the moment.

As for my skills...lol. As of late I've come to the conclusion that I'm really not that good, and decided to go back to lessons after being 'on my own' for about 12-16 months. I can play a lot of songs by my favorite bands very well and all, but I don't know anything for theory, or writing in general. I'm going to my second lesson tonight and currently am learning names to chords I've played 234324 times yet never known the names of, and a pentatonic scale..lmao.

Guess my name is a bit misleading.

Here's my guitar:

[Image: IMG_2410.jpg]
I'm the exact opposite of you. I know a few songs here and there from different bands. I've never had trouble learning a song to the point to where I just give up, but I never actually try learning any. I never sit down to. I mostly do music theory and writing.

I honestly don't know why I have so many, but it helps with recording Tongue_out
(Mar. 22, 2009  10:43 PM)Commie Wrote: Why don't you ask him for one of his guitars so you can Hendrix it.

You know, switch the string order and stuff. The controls will be in the most awkward positions, but it's better than nothing.
Thanks, I'l try it and post the results Eee
(Mar. 25, 2009  9:06 PM)Giga Wrote: Thanks, I'l try it and post the results Eee

If I were you I'd take it to a shop, no need to risk injuring your guitar
Hm, won't it just involve swapping the strings when I put them on?
(Mar. 29, 2009  6:20 PM)Giga Wrote: Hm, won't it just involve swapping the strings when I put them on?

No, the nut isn't cut for it to be strung backwards. The nut will break. Take it to a shop
Ok, cool. Haha, theres a local one so I will.
Well, Giga, I'd like to report on my recent lefty-flip experiment. A friend of mine, lefty, got a guitar for Christmas, but his mom didn't know that guitar's were lefty and righty. She lost the receipt to the guitar, and he really wants to play so I flipped the nut for him.

It was a first act, so the nut wasn't held in with anything. I slid the nut out, flipped it around, but for what ever reason it wouldn't stay in place. I grabbed some epoxy, and added a tiny bit the nut. Fits like a charm.

I don't know the model of First Act, but it had a VERY nice neck Chocked_2;; I might go and buy one just to customize later
I played guitar for two years, my carpy teacher didn't teach me a single chord! I could have took it upon myself, but still! All I remeber to play is the intro to Guns n Roses- sweet child of mine XD

Cool I play Rock band/Guitar hero if that counts...
(Apr. 14, 2009  2:59 AM)NeekAlert Wrote: Cool I play Rock band/Guitar hero if that counts...

No, no it doesn't count.
I have a fender it's an esquire i also have an acoustic which i can't find my sibling probably took it i can't play at all really though i just take it out for fun sometimes and play some riffs on tablature i found on the internet
Do Bass count? I got one yesterday, it's cool.
(Apr. 16, 2009  11:27 AM)Giga Wrote: Do Bass count? I got one yesterday, it's cool.

Well, bass guitar. Which is a misnomer, but yea I'm sure it counts hahaha no need for another topic. I've been playing bass since October 07

ProtoCyber, what Esquire do you have? It's a single pick-up version of the Telecaster. Amazing guitar either way. I loooooooooooooveeeee mine

On the topic of my guitars, I *finally* restrung my SG. I have no idea why I quit playing it. It's a best
Yeah, I love my SG. I want a Tele so bad haha. Bass is a nice refresher, really makes you appreciate the rhythm.
so whats good for a starter? and anyway i can learn how to play without a teacher? for example youtube guitar learning videos are enough to make me learn?
Buy tab books, and it depends on the music you want to play. Most people use Stratocasters as starters. Depends on money constraints to. If you have loads of money to burn, I recommend the Gibson Robot SG. About £2000 pounds though XD.
DO NOT buy tab books. All three that I have purchased by Hal Leonard (#1 seller of tab books) have all been horrendously inaccturate (Metallica Black Album (Bass), Sublime 40 Oz. To Freedom (Guitar), and Sublime Seltitled (Guitar))

I am almost completely self taught, and all of my playing ability has been self taught. I just get music theory lessons from Jason Bucklin (look him up on YouTube). Use Ultimate Guitar, they have amazing tablatures, and incredible lessons.

For a starter guitar, DO NOT buy a Squier. Fender really cheaps out on them. I would suggest an Epiphone SG Special II or a cheap Yamaha acoustic. That SG was my first guitar, and I still find it easier to play than my Tele. The SG is $170 USD, and it is the BEST guitar for under $400.
Really? I'll use Ultimate more then Grin
(Apr. 16, 2009  9:43 PM)Giga Wrote: Really? I'll use Ultimate more then Grin

Since Ultimate Guitar is a community effort (unlike TTabs or 911Tabs) people are always making corrections. And you really should read some lessons on technique. I just found out about them. The only thing I've needed help on is alternate picking, since I figured most everything else out on my own.
(Apr. 16, 2009  9:34 PM)Evan Wrote: DO NOT buy tab books. All three that I have purchased by Hal Leonard (#1 seller of tab books) have all been horrendously inaccturate (Metallica Black Album (Bass), Sublime 40 Oz. To Freedom (Guitar), and Sublime Seltitled (Guitar))

I am almost completely self taught, and all of my playing ability has been self taught. I just get music theory lessons from Jason Bucklin (look him up on YouTube). Use Ultimate Guitar, they have amazing tablatures, and incredible lessons.

For a starter guitar, DO NOT buy a Squier. Fender really cheaps out on them. I would suggest an Epiphone SG Special II or a cheap Yamaha acoustic. That SG was my first guitar, and I still find it easier to play than my Tele. The SG is $170 USD, and it is the BEST guitar for under $400.

Fender squiers are okay. I bought one when I started and it held up for 2 years. Although its in horrible condition now..:\
I wouldn't say SG is the BEST guitar for that price range, just try what you like. Esp makes a lot of decent guitars for around $200-300, you may want to look into those too. There are some guitars you will never get a feeling for, so its worth checking out a few different ones.

I don't recommend being self taught right away.. there are so many bad habits you can pick up without noticing. I've been playing for a few years now and I am currently going through a really hard time, trying to correct a bad habit in my picking hand. I would suggest starting with a teacher and getting to know the basics face to face with someone. It helps a lot. I think you can judge when you feel you don't need lessons anymore - I stopped for like, 2 years, before I picked them back up.

As for tabs, ultimate-guitar is the best. They have a large collection of tabs and a bunch of people who are (fairly) accurate with rating them - so just go for the highest rated ones. Guitar Pro helps too, its a program that plays the music for you, and usually includes the other instruments too. I dunno, I find myself using guitar pro tabs 90% of the time, its just easier.
I have been playing for a few years now. Nothing major, started out self taught, got a few lessons, where I pretty much learned technique, form, and some chords and scales. Honestly seemed like a waste of money.

I tend to learn through listening. May not sound perfect at first, but i tend to watch videos and look at tabs to get it down pat.
[Image: 6290_252546725202_827255202_8186413.jpg?t=1251524874]

Got this in June.

So what pedals is everyone here using? I have a dynacomp, jeckyll and hyde OD, DD-3, and a Small Stone (and a boss bass OD for my bass). Hoping to get the Demeter TRM-1 for Christmas.