Griffolyon draft - Kei can you have a look ?

mm..maybe youcan try elaborate a bit more on its speciality...that is transforming bey..i thought the griffin thing can be either put on the blade base and on the AR...i think you should mention this too..
Yo can someone have a look at this please, i understand MFB is priority, but still, can you try give some help ? Smile
Sorry man but this is pretty badly written. I've been working on one from scratch that I need to get around to finishing, so maybe I'm biased, but yeah Confused

Worth mentioning it's legal now though (rulebook needs updating).
Speaking of that article I was working on, I done gone and finished it. Constructive criticism appreciated.
Editing it for concision even more appreciated, especially compared to just telling me it's too wordy. Generally, editing it on anything that just needs correction instead of discussion is best, because I'm pretty lazy and short on time to edit stuff in myself :3 This is a wiki after all Grin

I done gone and Wrote:This here Griffolyon Article.

Attack Ring: Cross Griffon

The Attack ring of Griffolyon, Cross Griffon, takes the form of 4 sets of eagle heads and wings, and is somewhat thick compared to other commonly used attack rings.
The main contact points, the wing tips, are quite sharp and well spaced, producing an incredible amount of spike attack in right spin.
Cross Griffon was long overlooked, largely due to the ban on competitive use of Hidden Spirit Parts. However, recent testing has shown it’s smash attack to be on par with that of the famed Triple Wing ([[Trygle]]). The main downside of Cross Griffon is the increased recoil compared to Triple Wing. While this is not a major issue on rubber tipped bases, when used with [[Gaia Dragoon V|Gaia Dragoon V’s]] SG Metal Flat 2 base, a Heavy Metal Core must be used to control the recoil. Despite this, it still compares favourably to Triple Wing (used with or without HMC) in this setup.

A further advantage Cross Griffon has over Triple Wing is its thickness. Along with the greater availability and lower price of NIB Griffolyons compared to Trygle, the thickness of Cross Griffon means that despite the incredibly violent collisions it produces, it is very unlikely to break.

While the additional recoil must be accounted for, Cross Griffon may be used in any standard smash attack combo with excellent (and violent) results.

==Use in Attack Customisations==

One combo that makes excellent use of Cross Griffon’s properties is:

AR: Cross Griffon
WD: Wide Defense
SG: Neo Right SG (Heavy Metal Core)
BB: SG Metal Flat 2 (Gaia Dragoon V)

In this combination, Cross Griffon slightly outperforms the famed Triple Wing (Trygle), even with the requirement of the Heavy Metal Core to reduce recoil.

SG Metal Flat 2 not only provides excellent speed and power for KO’s, but also allows the bey to outspin numerous opposing combinations. Cross Griffon’s powerful spike attack has excellent stopping power, even if it fails to KO the opponent, hard hits can often greatly interrupt the opponents spin, heavily reducing the survival. The metal tip of SG Metal Flat 2 capitalises on this, creating a combination that can beat an opponent both through knock out and outspin.

Weight Disk: See 8 Balance

Base: Grease Cylinder Base
Grease Cylinder Base has an integrated SG, similar to first generation beyblades. The main gimmick of this base is that the tip is not attached directly to the base, but instead is attached to a cylinder, which in turn sits inside a cylinder of grease, reducing friction, similar to the function of a bearing (albeit greatly inferior). The tip itself is a tall, thin, round tip, creating very little grip, minimal movement, and resulting in poor balance.

These balance issues are compounded by the poles used to attach the included figurine (the main gimmick of the hidden spirit beys), which extend downward from the base, and scrape easily when the base inevitably loses balance.

Both of these issues completely counteract any increased stamina provided by the grease-suspension gimmick.

All in all, this base is one of the worst ever produced, combining poor balance with easy scraping, insipid movement and poor stamina. It has absolutely no use (even its use in fun combinations is questionable due to its generally dull movement and redundant gimmick).

Overall:
With it’s powerful Smash Attack Ring, and insipid blade base, comparisons between Griffolyon and Trygle are inevitable. This is, however, not necessarily bad for Griffolyon, as it has a number of advantages over it’s more popular counterpart. Not only is it cheaper and easier to obtain, but the attack ring is far more resilient. While the base is arguably worse than SG Jumping Base (a feat that would be admirable were it not for just how insipid it truly is) lacking even the entertainment value of the latter’s gimmick, this is generally not a big consideration for the competitive blader, and the attack ring is noticeably more violent, resulting in arguably more interesting battles.
It’s also worth keeping in mind that Griffolyon does not include a launcher out of the box, though most bladers will generally obtain one in one of the other releases required to use the AR competitively.

On the whole, Griffolyon should not be seen as a substitute for Trygle, but a viable alternative, definitely worth considering when looking for an Attack-type AR. While Griffolyon is cheaper and more resilient, to be used with SG Metal Flat 2, Cross Griffon generally requires an HMC and Neo-Right Casings, and the fact that Triple Wing performs better in some combinations further increases the impact of personal preference.

Overall, this bey is an excellent purchase and definitely worth consideration by any competitive blader.

Yeah, loooong overall section, maybe I could spin off the trygle comparison into it's own section, but it seems comfortable there for the time being.

May be a bit too 'emotionally charged' for the wiki in it's current state, though I of course quite like that.
But man, the base sucks SO DAMN HARD. It's like a damned black hole or something... A singularity of suck. I figured that definitely needed some serious emphasis... Just thinking about it makes me feel bored.
Made a couple of minor fixes to my draft, but would love more input/direction as to how to get it up to beywiki standard :3
(Nov. 05, 2011  6:13 PM)th!nk Wrote: Sorry man but this is pretty badly written. I've been working on one from scratch that I need to get around to finishing, so maybe I'm biased, but yeah Confused

Worth mentioning it's legal now though (rulebook needs updating).
Speaking of that article I was working on, I done gone and finished it. Constructive criticism appreciated.
Editing it for concision even more appreciated, especially compared to just telling me it's too wordy. Generally, editing it on anything that just needs correction instead of discussion is best, because I'm pretty lazy and short on time to edit stuff in myself :3 This is a wiki after all Grin

I done gone and Wrote:This here Griffolyon Article.

Yeah, loooong overall section, maybe I could spin off the trygle comparison into it's own section, but it seems comfortable there for the time being.

May be a bit too 'emotionally charged' for the wiki in it's current state, though I of course quite like that.
But man, the base sucks SO DAMN HARD. It's like a damned black hole or something... A singularity of suck. I figured that definitely needed some serious emphasis... Just thinking about it makes me feel bored.

yeah, I fixed some parts. What else is too add?
Mind pointing out what changes you made?

Edit: My bad on the base. It was a poor translation I took it from. This also means I need to check whether originals came with oil or it was just some other residue I found in mine, as I took that particular view from the structure, residue, and poor translation ("Forint Based Grease-On, which I would have realised was actually "Griffolyion Base", had I looked at the japanese properly.)

Either way, it is only a minor difference. I assume it used oil because it was the only way the tip actually spins freely.

Also, realised I forgot to include mold variations, I will get that done soon.

Those of you who have the base, could you please dissasemble the SG and check for any residue of grease/oil.

Oh, and Phoenix Inferno, are you able to enable your PM's, really, turning them off is frowned upon and it makes it difficult to contact you if I need to discuss anything Smile
(Nov. 26, 2011  1:40 AM)th!nk Wrote: Mind pointing out what changes you made?

Edit: My bad on the base. It was a poor translation I took it from. This also means I need to check whether originals came with oil or it was just some other residue I found in mine, as I took that particular view from the structure, residue, and poor translation ("Forint Based Grease-On, which I would have realised was actually "Griffolyion Base", had I looked at the japanese properly.)

Either way, it is only a minor difference. I assume it used oil because it was the only way the tip actually spins freely.

Also, realised I forgot to include mold variations, I will get that done soon.

Those of you who have the base, could you please dissasemble the SG and check for any residue of grease/oil.

Oh, and Phoenix Inferno, are you able to enable your PM's, really, turning them off is frowned upon and it makes it difficult to contact you if I need to discuss anything Smile

1 I Added abbreviations, fixed base, I have it. Shortened overall. I have the bey, Takara?I'll check And I just don't want to turn my PM on.
Um the AR's of the hidden spirit series are no longer illegal so that should be mentioned. Also the purple version is griffolyon 2. Also there are several takara recolours of this with different names.
UltraBlader: I am aware of this, I didn't consider it relevant as that is what the rulebook is for (though it needs to be updated).

I must check what the decision on the base is, though.

Last I checked all the recolours were called the same thing. That said, I have never paid much attention to recolours, so it is really not something I would be comfortable writing.

And yes, I am aware of the purple version's name, I simply hadn't noticed that was one of the edits phoenix inferno included.

phoenix Inferno: Could you please be more specific. Bold the things that you changed or something? It's standard practice, and to be brutally honest, I have not thought much of your contributions to other articles, and as Ultrablader pointed out, at least one of your edits was bad. Please, in future, just post your suggested changes instead of editing the article.
Nope the recolours all have different names. Not sure if there's more than one but I know that there's at least one recolour which isn't called Griffolyon.
Oh lawdy lawdy.

I'll see what I can dig up, but as we've already seen from my rather incredible error with the base's name, I am pretty terrible at that kinda thing, ahah Tongue_out
(Nov. 26, 2011  4:35 PM)Ultrablader Wrote: Nope the recolours all have different names. Not sure if there's more than one but I know that there's at least one recolour which isn't called Griffolyon.

It is called Bakten Ryu-Entranal Dragon. And I added the abbreviations for the parts, changed the base to the correct name and shortened the overall section.I editedout the ban part.
I still prefer my lengthier one, and would rather you not make such drastic edits without consulting others.

You were correct about the base name, weight disk, and BB, though I am sure the latter two would be done when added to the wiki/formatting was done, and I've already acknowledged the former.
Minor Update. Still not completely done with this, but I'm throwing it out for some feedback before I go through and really sort it out (plus I'm tired and will probably forget).

I done gone and re- Wrote:Attack Ring: Cross Griffon

The Attack ring of Griffolyon, Cross Griffon, takes the form of 4 sets of eagle heads and wings, and is somewhat thick compared to other commonly used attack rings.
The main contact points, the wing tips, are quite sharp and well spaced, producing an incredible amount of smash attack in right spin. They also produce some recoil, but it is generally not a major concern if you take it into consideration when customising.
Cross Griffon was long overlooked, largely due to the ban on competitive use of Hidden Spirit Parts. However, recent testing has shown its smash attack to be on par with that of the famed Triple Wing ([[Trygle]]). The main downside of Cross Griffon is the increased recoil compared to Triple Wing. While this is not a major issue on most rubber tipped bases, when used with [[Gaia Dragoon V|Gaia Dragoon V’s]] SG Metal Flat 2 base, a Heavy Metal Core must be used to control the recoil. Despite this, it still compares favourably to Triple Wing (used with or without HMC) in this setup. The greatest downside of this recoil is that it becomes slightly more of an issue on the extremely light Grip Base, one of the fastest attack bases ever produced, meaning Triple Wing is generally a better choice. However, Cross Griffon on SG Metal Flat 2 and Triple Wing on Grip Base are generally only separated by personal preference, they both get excellent results, but do so in a slightly different manner.

An advantage Cross Griffon has over Triple Wing is its thickness. Along with the greater availability and lower price of NIB Griffolyon compared to Trygle, the thickness of Cross Griffon means that despite the incredibly violent collisions it produces, it is very unlikely to break.

While the additional recoil must be accounted for, Cross Griffon may be used in any standard smash attack combo with excellent (and violent) results.

===Use in Attack Customisations===

One combo that makes excellent use of Cross Griffon’s properties is:

AR: Cross Griffon
WD: 10 Wide
SG: Neo Right SG (Heavy Metal Core)
BB: SG Metal Flat 2 (Gaia Dragoon V)

In this combination, Cross Griffon slightly outperforms the famed Triple Wing (Trygle), even with the requirement of the Heavy Metal Core to reduce recoil. In addition, the HMC also draws this combination to the centre of the stadium, making it slightly easier to collide with generally stationary Survival and Defense types.

SG Metal Flat 2 not only provides excellent speed and power for KO’s, but also allows the bey to outspin numerous opposing combinations. Cross Griffon’s powerful smash attack has excellent stopping power, even if it fails to KO the opponent, hard hits can often greatly interrupt the opponents spin, heavily reducing their survival ability. The metal tip of SG Metal Flat 2 capitalises on this adding to this combinations, creating a combination that can beat an opponent both through knock out and outspin.

===Mold Variations===
Hasbro versions of this AR have attachment points for the figurine located on the top of the AR rather than the base. These only add recoil, especially against taller opponents, and as such a Takara Cross Griffon is greatly preferred.

Weight Disk: See 8 Balance

Base: Griffolyon Base
Grifollyon has an integrated SG, similar to first generation beyblades. The main gimmick of this base is that the tip is not attached directly to the base, but instead is attached to a cylindrical body, which sits inside the shaft of the base, allowing a small amount of free-spin, albeit limited by the friction produced by plastic-on-plastic contact.

However, the tip itself is a tall, narrow, rounded tip, providing almost no movement, poor defense, and incredibly poor balance.

These balance issues are compounded by the poles used to attach the included figurine (the main gimmick of the hidden spirit beys), which extend downward from the base, and scrape easily when the base inevitably loses balance.

Both of these issues completely counteract any increased stamina provided by the free-spin gimmick.

All in all, this base is one of the worst ever produced, combining poor balance with easy scraping, insipid movement and poor stamina. It has absolutely no use (even its use in fun combinations is questionable due to its generally dull movement and redundant gimmick).

===Mold Difference===
Hasbro Releases of Griffolyon Base have the poles removed (though the base of them is still present). This provides slightly better stamina, however, the tip shape is still terrible, and the bases of where the poles are on the Takara version interrupt the circular shape of the base. Furthermore, the shape of the base makes it an easy target for Upper Attack, now that the poles no longer provide some measure of protection. While it is slightly better than its Takara counterpart, it is still just as useless, and as such, best avoided (especially as it comes with a less useful mold of the Attack Ring, the only useful part of this beyblade).

Overall:
With its powerful Smash-Based Attack Ring, and insipid blade base, comparisons between Griffolyon and Trygle are inevitable. This is, however, not necessarily bad for Griffolyon, as it has a number of advantages over its more popular counterpart. Not only is it cheaper and easier to obtain, but the attack ring is far more resilient. While the base is arguably worse than SG Jumping Base (a feat that would be admirable were it not for just how insipid it truly is) lacking even the entertainment value of the latter’s gimmick, this is generally not a big consideration for the competitive blader, and the attack ring is noticeably more violent, resulting in arguably more interesting battles.
It is also worth keeping in mind that Griffolyon does not include a launcher out of the box, though most bladers will generally obtain one in one of the other releases required to use the AR competitively.

On the whole, Griffolyon should not be seen as a substitute for Trygle, but a viable alternative, definitely worth considering when looking for an Attack-type AR. While Griffolyon is cheaper and more resilient, to be used with SG Metal Flat 2, Cross Griffon generally requires an HMC, which comes at additional cost (albeit a small one; Takara Metal Drigers are still relatively widely available) and the fact that Triple Wing performs better in some combinations further increases the impact of personal preference.

Overall, this bey is an excellent purchase and definitely worth consideration by any competitive blader.
"The famed Triple Wing" seems rather opinionated. Chnage "famed" to something else, or just rewors the sentence. I preffer the latter
(Jan. 13, 2012  12:32 PM)LeonTempestXIII Wrote: "The famed Triple Wing" seems rather opinionated. Chnage "famed" to something else, or just rewors the sentence. I preffer the latter

It is not an opinion, it is the single most widely respected smash attack AR in the entire plastics series. Please learn more about the subject before offering criticism, here and in general.
I had a Trygle, and I am aware of it superior status. However in an article for a wiki, it does sound a little glorified. Try saying something along the lines of "it preforms similarly to Trygle, however Cross Griffon is somewhat less effective"
(Jan. 13, 2012  12:38 PM)LeonTempestXIII Wrote: I had a Trygle, and I am aware of it superior status. However in an article for a wiki, it does sound a little glorified. Try saying something along the lines of "it preforms similarly to Trygle, however Cross Griffon is somewhat less effective"

So? Triple Wing is a glorified part. There is no reason to change this, at all.
Your criticism is ridiculous based on the article as a whole, which questions the view that triple wing is peerless.

Admittedly there are still faults with my draft, possibly including over-opinionated sections (especially in the base section, though honestly it deserves it, it is actually the worst base in the entirety of plastics). That, however, is not one of them.

Your alternative sentence is utterly terrible: Preform means "determine shape beforehand", the correct word is "perform", Trygle is not the name of Trygle's AR, and the entire point is that Cross Griffon IS as good as triple wing, being more or less effective depending on the customisation. Did you even bother to read the whole article, or even the first part of the sentence that you are questioning?
Finally, your sentence does not sound encyclopaedic at all. Oh, and you forgot a full stop.
"The famed Triple Wing" is completely correct. I just dislike its frequency: it's all over the place. Tone it down, use synonyms if need be, but right now it is just everywhere in that article.
Ahh, I didn't realise I used it multiple times. Will remove in the rewrite, but the first appearance: the one leontempest pointed out, will stay. Thanks dan.
Yeah, obviously the first would stay. Just reoccurring ones should be altered.
No prob.
"4 sets"

I would change it to "four"

"power for KO’s, but"

KOs, right? Not sure about this.
(Jan. 13, 2012  12:42 PM)th!nk Wrote: So? Triple Wing is a glorified part. There is no reason to change this, at all.
Your criticism is ridiculous based on the article as a whole, which questions the view that triple wing is peerless.

Admittedly there are still faults with my draft, possibly including over-opinionated sections (especially in the base section, though honestly it deserves it, it is actually the worst base in the entirety of plastics). That, however, is not one of them.

Your alternative sentence is utterly terrible: Preform means "determine shape beforehand", the correct word is "perform", Trygle is not the name of Trygle's AR, and the entire point is that Cross Griffon IS as good as triple wing, being more or less effective depending on the customisation. Did you even bother to read the whole article, or even the first part of the sentence that you are questioning?
Finally, your sentence does not sound encyclopaedic at all. Oh, and you forgot a full stop.

From an outside perspective, "famed" could be interpretted as "everyone knows" That is just how I read it anyway. But I guess it is fine. The sentence I gave was prefeced with "something along the lines of" so its not ment to be a good sentence. Also "preform" was a type. Notice how in my following post I spelled "perform"

Imperial: I'm already working on a new draft and that's all been fixed in it.

leon: famed as in "famed for its power" though most people who know plastics learn about triple wing very quickly anyway.

May be best to leave the CnC for now guys, as I've already made a lot of improvements in my new draft. Unless it's something that I hugely misworded or whatever.

EDIT: Rewrite almost complete, just waiting for a ruling clarification on the bases/what parts of hidden spirits are legal and then it should be pretty much done. I'd be wanting Kei's opinion on whether I went too far with the negativity in the base description (it is probably the worst base in MFB though), or not.
There are some pretty sizeable changes I guess so yeah, CnC of the current one isn't 100% relevant but I'm open to discuss the parts or whatever.

Will try to get some good comparative tests up this week or next, but I am on holiday so yeah, and poseidon already posted some a while ago where Cross Griffon got an extra win over Triple Wing.
Ideally, I want to do tests of Cross Griffon on SG Metal Flat 2, an HMC and 10 Wide, Triple Wing on the same, Triple wing on SG MF2 with an MG Core and Wide Defence (IMO the best triple wing setup for it), and both with Wide Defence on Grip Base. Not sure what I'll test against, either a defensive compact or weight based defence.

Oh, and I will also try to do a few rounds with Tiger Defenser/Wide Defense/Griffolyon Base vs Tiger Defenser/Wide Defense/Neo Right SG Neo Core/Defense Grip Base (Seaborg), just to see which has worse stamina.