General Health Thread

(Jan. 06, 2009  3:26 PM)Guitar_Legend Wrote:
(Jan. 06, 2009  8:21 AM)SexyMichael Wrote: I've got the food department down, but I can't say I get much exercise. Besides the 25 min walk both ways to school each weekday.

This September I basically stopped eating junk food and replaced it with healthy carp. I'm down to a 28 waist and have a six pack now lol.

I hate how people like you get six packs from simply reducing what they eat, lol

I've been running my carp off 4-5 times a week.
I go to the gym usually every day after school and when I'm not jogging I usually lift weights. I bench more then I should, lol. Usually use it everytime I use weights.

But yeah, with jogging I've been burning off 1000 calories each time.
And yet no six pack emerges.
I also do sit ups everytime I do weights, doing 250 of them.

Ontop of that I do pushups when I remember at home. I found some cool ways to do them differently, like putting your feet on a chair.

Annnd the result of all that is surprisingly weak :\ so i'm considering getting a personal trainer and consulting him.

Personal trainers do help you get on the right track, I got one for a few sessions and they work your carp off; and man do I know what you are going through to get a six pack. I work my carp of and kinda have one (I think I posted a pic in the pic thread pg.90ish). But is it a pain to try and keep it. There one day and gone in a couple of weeks.
Gah this thread is depressing. I mean I'm not overweight but I'm not exactly slim. And I know I don't eat all that well. ^^; On a school day this is my normal kinda diet:

Breakfast: Nothing or anything I can eat in five minutes depending on when I get up. The best I have is toast (if we have ready sliced bread that I can just shove in the toaster) and the worst is....well whatever I can find in the kitchen. Today I had 4 crackers. Yesterday I had some crisps. And I can remember eating bombay mix and jelly (seperate occasions) before the winter break. But I do have a glass of smoothie when we have it.

Lunch: Nothing or a small cooked meal. Usually a bowl or maccaroni, a slice of pizza and some chips or a wrap. Our school sells stupidly small meals (I could easily eat four of them) for way too much. When I say chips I mean about seven chips. And normally they don't even bother with veg or it's really small. =_=

Dinner: Normally a large meal made by my mum. Smile It's not overflowing with veg but it's got enough. It makes up for the lack of food during the rest of the day (though I know this is bad for you as your body becomes starved in the beginning of the day and then takes in all the fat and stuff from the big meal).

Excercise: I have a walk to school but other than that I'm pretty lazy. I used to be super active but not anymore......basically the only excercise I do is on my dance mat (which I haven't actually been going on lately).

Also, I have large amounts of cheese on like al of my meals. And considering I already have a heart condition, it doesn't look too good for me. Pinching_eyes
Wow, you guys work out a ton all I do is work out my fingers and hand muscles daily by changing the channel and hard core gaming. I'm one of the most laziest people in the world yet i only weigh 90lbs Chocked
Apparently because i'm 5"4 and weigh 121lb, i'm underweight. I always thought I was normal, if not a little over. Chocked_2

Then again, i'm guessing my eating habits dont help me.

Breakfast: cup of tea, maybe toast if I'm not feeling sick (since I almost always do when I wake up)
Lunch: If it's a college day, Maybe a sammich, otherwise, just a pint of skimmed milk
Tea: Spaghetti bolognese/chicken and something/cheese toastie/steak on occasion/ramen

In between: Maybe some chocolate to keep my sugar level stable due to my hypoglycaemia, and bourbon cream biscuits.
(Jan. 06, 2009  6:55 PM)May The Pirate Wrote: Apparently because i'm 5"4 and weigh 121lb, i'm underweight. I always thought I was normal, if not a little over. Chocked_2

Then again, i'm guessing my eating habits dont help me.

Breakfast: cup of tea, maybe toast if I'm not feeling sick (since I almost always do when I wake up)
Lunch: If it's a college day, Maybe a sammich, otherwise, just a pint of skimmed milk
Tea: Spaghetti bolognese/chicken and something/cheese toastie/steak on occasion/ramen

In between: Maybe some chocolate to keep my sugar level stable due to my hypoglycaemia, and bourbon cream biscuits.

your diet is terrible

and 120 @ 5'4" isn't that underweight. pretty average i think actually
I always thought it was normal until my doctor went bitchy on me.

I'm aware my diet is awful, but I have an uber small apetite, either that or I forget that i'm hungry.
I don't think you can judge that much on weight as you could be really heavy and it all just be muscles. Uncertain
(Jan. 06, 2009  7:05 PM)May The Pirate Wrote: I always thought it was normal until my doctor went bitchy on me.

I'm aware my diet is awful, but I have an uber small apetite, either that or I forget that i'm hungry.

You seem just fine weight-wise by BMI standards.
(Jan. 06, 2009  7:10 PM)Gigs Wrote:
(Jan. 06, 2009  7:05 PM)May The Pirate Wrote: I always thought it was normal until my doctor went bitchy on me.

BMI is a joke, but she seems to be average

but her diet is still terrible. it's all carbohydrates
I've never bothered with BMI, since last time I checked (When I was bout 4 pounds heavier) I was bordering on very overweight. Made me go "wtf?"

I heard that an all carb diet is bad for you, that would probably explain my problems with anemia giving me hell.
(Jan. 06, 2009  7:12 PM)Artie Wrote:

While BMI is not 100% accurate (not good for overly muscular, and the naturally skinny) it is a pretty good general indicator of weight. But hey at least she drinks her milk.
(Jan. 06, 2009  7:16 PM)Gigs Wrote:
(Jan. 06, 2009  7:12 PM)Artie Wrote:

But hey at least she drinks her milk.

*Drinks about 2-3 pints a day* XD I can't drink anything above skimmed though. Last time I tried I was nearly sick after a few sips, it started doing my stomach in a while ago so I had to downgrade from semi to just skimmed.

I'm a bit sad that i've been banned from eating eggs also.
i'm like 5'7 ish and weigh around 100 lbs
Boxing on speedbag or heavy sandbag good for cardio? I myself get quite bored of long-distance running, and as such do not really do it as well because of my lack of enthusiasm (however i did run track on the sprinter team for two years straight and loved it).
Ive been working out at home for the last year doing push ups, pull up, sit up squatting and curling variations. After every workout ill drink a shake with at least 25g of protein. I was 132 when i started and now i'm 140. Im gonna start going to the gym now so i can have some time on the bench. I play basketball at least once a week for cardio. I'm pretty proud but i want to get to 160 by next year so i need to start doing it more often.
(Jan. 07, 2009  1:51 AM)bugturtles Wrote: Boxing on speedbag or heavy sandbag good for cardio? I myself get quite bored of long-distance running, and as such do not really do it as well because of my lack of enthusiasm (however i did run track on the sprinter team for two years straight and loved it).

if you want to bulk up, never run long distance again. there is a reason there is about 20+ muscle difference between sprinters and long distance runners

if i were you i'd run HIIT
(Jan. 07, 2009  1:51 AM)bugturtles Wrote: Boxing on speedbag or heavy sandbag good for cardio? I myself get quite bored of long-distance running, and as such do not really do it as well because of my lack of enthusiasm (however i did run track on the sprinter team for two years straight and loved it).

As long as you get your heart rate up and maintain it at that level for an extended period of time, it makes excellent cardio. Has the added benefit of toning upper body. I am in the same boat when it comes to long distance running. I do it only (and only) if I have my ipod, otherwise it is unbearable. During the summer I opt for long trail rides on my mountain bike if I have the opportunity.

I'm doing this on my cardio days.
I used to be in Track, and was one of the fastest sprinters on the team, but I stopped two years ago. I keep saying I'll get back into it, but I don't.

Honestly, I kind of wish I could gain weight. I'm a lot like Roan in that I eat terribly for weeks and yet never gain more than a pound or two. I only recently noticed that I am now 135 lbs instead of the lousy 130, and I'm 5' 11".

Really, I only worry about burning off the muscle I have now, with such a low percentage of body fat. :-/
I generally watch what I eat, since there are a lot of foods that make me ill or that I'm intolerant to. I'm not like one of those health freaks that count calories and carp.

As far as exercise goes, I walk quite a lot, just to-ing and fro-ing. I should really start going back to Karate now that the Christmas period is gone, and I now have time to do it. Though it won't make much of a difference to exercise the odd DDR session is quite a nice energy boost and work, I basically walking around lifting things.

I tend to loose weight just by eating. I lost weight over Christmas, so it's kinda worrying how much I actually weighed before hand. But its not about the weight, its how you feel. I guess I would hate to be like stick thin, I quite like having toned muscles.
Resurrecting this because I gotta ask: What excercises are best to reduce/tone the thigh/hip/waist/stomach kinda area?
I need to do something about this. And the members here seem to be strangely fit. :\
Well... you could try to Go on a Diet and Do Cardio.
you could try what i do

im 5,11 i weigh 170 . i workout about 3 hours a day my workout is do 60 pushups in a minute every day i do ten minutes of core exersise [ sit ups double leg v's , v's cruches ,etc] multiple squats and chairs i run 4 miles about 3 times a week , i lift weights regulary and i take my karate , jujitsu , kickboxing , judo and mma classes i take about 10 classes a week [ i do a lot of push ups sit ups and squats in these classes to ] and i do a lot of bag work and this workout keeps me in realy good shape
Sixty pushups a minute? Hahaha. I can't do one pushup in a hour. XD Besides, I only have so much energy/willpower so I don't wanna overwork myself. Which is why I asked which excercises work more specifically for that area. ^^;
(Feb. 15, 2009  5:16 PM)Rocky Wrote: Resurrecting this because I gotta ask: What excercises are best to reduce/tone the thigh/hip/waist/stomach kinda area?
I need to do something about this. And the members here seem to be strangely fit. :\

Spot reduction does not exist. You can't just lose fat in one area.

You'll have to do cardio and eat better to see gains. Perhaps some squats, too.