General Health Thread

(Feb. 15, 2009  6:30 PM)Rocky Wrote: Sixty pushups a minute? Hahaha. I can't do one pushup in a hour. XD Besides, I only have so much energy/willpower so I don't wanna overwork myself. Which is why I asked which excercises work more specifically for that area. ^^;

Your best bet would be to start doing Cardio, and Body Weight Exercises (push-ups pull-ups). Now you don't have to do 60 per minute but what you can do is do as many as you can take a break and do it again. Repeat until you have completed four sets. Then every day make sure to add one push up. No more, no less.

Crunches, and assisted pull-ups (there is a machine, maybe your school fitness center has one) are great too, and follow the same pattern as push ups. Body weight exercises promote lean muscle growth, so there will be no massive growth. It makes you look leaner. For some good ab exercises search on google. The body Weight exercises don't take very long so they can easily fit in your daily schedule.

For Cardio skipping, running, jogging are all good just make sure you get your heart rate up. Start with 20-25 minutes (or more if you are able to) and work your way up. Cardio is the most crucial, so be regular. Set a schedule for 3-4 times a week and stick to it. The biggest mistake people make is that they overwork themselves for a month and lose motivation. Challenge yourself (the first week will be tough) but stay within your capabilities. Just make sure to adjust accordingly as it gets easier.

The last thing is diet. Eat healthy, and don't starve yourself!! (you will only overeat later). Just make sure to stay within your BMR and such, and eat a balanced diet (lots of raw veggies help you stay full). I hope my excessively long rant helped, and just remember this takes time. It took me almost 2.5 years to lose 60 pounds, because it takes time to find what works for you. Having a routine is crucial. Good luck and feel free to PM me for any questions.
Been really trying to get back in shape this year. I'm doing the only eat when your hungry, and only eat until your not. So I'm not eating 3 full meals a day, instead I'm 6-ish very small ones. It's working ok so far.

Daily exercise, 2-4 miles of running/ sprinting (in bursts, when I muster the energy). Couple hundred push-ups throughout the day in groups of about 50 at a time. Sit ups, weight lifting n' stuff. And as much (high speed) shadow boxing as I can pull off in between. Resting on weekends.

Still more podgy than I'd like, but its starting to even out.
(Feb. 15, 2009  5:16 PM)Rocky Wrote: Resurrecting this because I gotta ask: What excercises are best to reduce/tone the thigh/hip/waist/stomach kinda area?
I need to do something about this. And the members here seem to be strangely fit. :\

We all don't sit around here all day and shoot our Beyblades :p

You don't need to do push ups that that extreme though. It could help, but I don't think you'd need so much chest muscle.

I'd just do running if I were you. That'll help a lot.

Squats, like what Artie said, helps out too. It'd be better for you since you're a girl. Some guys like that "squat butt", but sadly I think I'm getting it :s

edit:
A tip when working out: don't expect results right away.
(Feb. 15, 2009  7:22 PM)Arjun Wrote: The last thing is diet. Eat healthy, and don't starve yourself!! (you will only overeat later).

Haha. That is exactly what I do. Not intentionally.....I just have little time for breakfast, my school underfeeds everyone and then I eat loads when I get home because I'm hungry. Pinching_eyes_2

Anyways, thanks everyone. I'll get back if I have other questions. Guess I've gotta run more and I'll try squats and situps and stuff........though I am so not looking forward to those. Pinching_eyes

Actually, talking about this makes me wanna go on a run now. Grin I just asked my mum if I could go out for a run and she said to take dad too so........looks like I'm going for a run with my father. Not too sure if thats good or bad........but at least I'll know how long I can go for and it'll be a nice break from studying. Smile

I'll tell you later whether I ran for miles or collapsed after a few meters. XD

EDIT: Seems my brothers coming as well now. Is it better to do long distance or short sprints? I know they kinda do different things (or different types of runners are different shapes anyways) but I'm not sure how they differ.
I'd actually wished I had a partner to run with so you're lucky. But if you want to lose more weight by running, HITT works best. You run as fast as you can, walk, run as fast as you can, walk, repeat. You probably don't need to do that yet. Since you're with your family, jogging works fine too.
Long Distance for your goal, however I would suggest change it up every once in a while. Keeps things more interesting and your body does not get too used to one thing
(Feb. 15, 2009  7:53 PM)G Wrote: I'd actually wished I had a partner to run with so you're lucky. But if you want to lose more weight by running, HITT works best. You run as fast as you can, walk, run as fast as you can, walk, repeat. You probably don't need to do that yet. Since you're with your family, jogging works fine too.
HIIT is more for people who wanted to keep muscle mass, I believe. There's a reason why long distance runners and sprinters look much different.

I think long distance would be ideal for her.
Okay sooo.......cutewolfsam, our friend and neighbour ended up coming as well in the end. We only managed about 2 miles because dad thought Harry and Sam looked tired - I orginally suggested dropping them off at the house and then carrying on but of course, by the time we got home and I had been to the loo, I didn't really feel like going out again. XD Still I can do some tomorrow.

Also, I remembered why I didn't do this more. I get a horrible cough for a while after a long bout of running. I never got it when I was little but I do nowadays........I dunno whether it's just because I'm unfit or maybe I have asthma. That wouldn't suprise me really. Ah well.
right now im loosing weight by dieting with healthy food like salads chicken oatmeal you know for snacks i chomp on like 100 calorie snacks
(Jan. 06, 2009  3:36 AM)Roan Wrote: I'd really like to gain some weight, I just have no idea how.
half carb/half protein shakes + gym

that's what i did when i first started working out (do protein+creatine now). i took one called "weight gainer", it's pretty popular in europe so it might be in us too
(Feb. 15, 2009  8:41 PM)Rocky Wrote: Okay sooo.......cutewolfsam, our friend and neighbour ended up coming as well in the end. We only managed about 2 miles because dad thought Harry and Sam looked tired - I orginally suggested dropping them off at the house and then carrying on but of course, by the time we got home and I had been to the loo, I didn't really feel like going out again. XD Still I can do some tomorrow.

Also, I remembered why I didn't do this more. I get a horrible cough for a while after a long bout of running. I never got it when I was little but I do nowadays........I dunno whether it's just because I'm unfit or maybe I have asthma. That wouldn't suprise me really. Ah well.

I know how you feel, I have asthma and it has always been a serious challenge to run. Take it day by day, and it will get better over time. My cardiovascular strength increases very slowly but it does improve as will yours.
(Feb. 15, 2009  8:41 PM)Rocky Wrote: Okay sooo.......cutewolfsam, our friend and neighbour ended up coming as well in the end. We only managed about 2 miles because dad thought Harry and Sam looked tired - I orginally suggested dropping them off at the house and then carrying on but of course, by the time we got home and I had been to the loo, I didn't really feel like going out again. XD Still I can do some tomorrow.

The cough is pretty normal. It'll lessen as you get used to running again... Unless you do have asthma :\
Drink lots of water, warm up properly n' all that jazz. Keep at it a few weeks and you'll start to notice slight improvements.
Well it could be because I breath in and out though my mouth (aren't you supposed to breath in through your nose and out through your mouth or am I making this up?). And although I took some water with me, I only had one sip. XD
Still, my mum has asthma so.......it could go either way. D=
Plus I forgot to mention but I have a heart condition.......I don't think it would be affected by this though. Pinching_eyes_2
In though you nose, out through your mouth~
Drink some water in good time before you go as well, give it a little while to settle otherwise you may feel it swishing about (if you consume a lot quickly)... Not particularly comfortable when assisted by a stitch.

And considering the heart condition, seek doctors advice about exercising maybe?
(Feb. 15, 2009  9:33 PM)Munkerz Wrote: And considering the heart condition, seek doctors advice about exercising maybe?

They seem to know very little about it......it doesn't normally affect me but sometimes if I jump up quickly or quickly change my position then I can get palpatations and such.......it should be okay though. Either way, there's very little I can do about it anyways (no medication or anything). :\
I've been running about 1.5-2 miles a night for the past week or so, and yeah, it's definitely in through your nose out your mouth lol.

I don't really enjoying running; I get bored easily. I much prefer swimming as its easier on your joints. Only caveat is that one cannot listen to music (and therefore be entertained) as easily. Hmm.
So go to a swimming pool with music?

I don't like swimming.....it involves wearing swim wear. And swim wear only looks good if you are perched on a lounger. Oh and you have to get your hair wet. And then wash and dry it. God just thinking about all that makes me recoil in horror. D:

Also, do any of you find it hard to breath in through your nose, etc. Because it's like impossible for me. D=
Getting up at 6 AM in the Summer to go do laps is divine.

And how can it be hard? Just inhale like your nose is stuffy but continue the breath to expand your lungs, and then exhale like you're blowing out a candle.
Well I've got a bit of a cold at the moment but even usually it's like breathing though a straw - you just can't get enough oxygen. That combined with running would surely kill me. Even when I was little and could run for miles I found this hard. D=
Whoa. Just like in the Sims. D=
(Feb. 15, 2009  9:58 PM)Artie Wrote: I've been running about 1.5-2 miles a night for the past week or so, and yeah, it's definitely in through your nose out your mouth lol.

I don't really enjoying running; I get bored easily. I much prefer swimming as its easier on your joints. Only caveat is that one cannot listen to music (and therefore be entertained) as easily. Hmm.

Get this or something like it. Grin
Yeah I get bored easily too especially running, the only thing that keeps me going when I run is blasting my music.

Rocky: If your serious about getting fit and stuff, you should plan a daily training routine. And you actually have to write it down on paper, along with your goals or else procrastination will happen and it will never get done.
Use this thing called the FITT Principle (which stands for Frequency, Intensity, Type of Excerise and Time).
And work in the different fitness areas (Cardio-Respiratory, Flexibily, Muscular Endurance and Muscular Strength).
First start out slowly and over-time continue to increase the time and intesity in order for it to be effective.

For example:

Cardio
Frequency - Each day of the week except Wednesday and Sunday.
I ntensity - 60% - 70% of max. heart rate. Or 110-140bpm. Or repeat _________ four times.
Type - Running, swimming, roller-blading, biking, soccer, basketball, tennis, etc.
T ime - 15-30min.

Muscular Strength and Endurance
Frequency - Every other day.
I ntensity - 2-3 sets of the activity.
Type - Sit-ups, Push-ups, Squats, Dips, etc.
Time - 30min.

Flexibilty
- Yoga, stretch muscles (arms, clavles, thighs, back, etc.) daily

Make sure you always warm-up and cool down so you don't get cramps, hurt your muscles and to prevent soreness. Smile
Ugh, you sound like school. DX

I will do this though, thanks. Hopefully I'll actually keep this up. Smile
(Feb. 16, 2009  12:32 AM)Rocky Wrote: Ugh, you sound like school. DX

I will do this though, thanks. Hopefully I'll actually keep this up. Smile

Oh Gawd that's what I feared..sounding like a P.E. (Gym) teacher Confused

Anywayz, I hope this works out for you (pun not intended). Good luuck Smile