General Fitness Thread

(Aug. 18, 2014  3:55 AM)BrioShield Wrote:
(Aug. 14, 2014  4:03 AM)SupremeDragon16 Wrote: I finally gained weight I'm 140!!!!! But I got a new goal now I want to be 210 by 17. I'm also thinking bout taking up boxing or studying Muay Thai. Hopefully that'll bring my weight up.

Congrats Smile
210 by 17? How tall are you? Keeping 210 (with mostly muscle and minimal fat) is going to be extremely challenging.

As someone who previously did Muay Thai (and dabbled in boxing) I'd say that both of those are excellent for combat and for fitness, but if anything, you'll end up shedding weight since they're very calorie intensive.

(Aug. 04, 2014  3:15 PM)yt152430 Wrote: I think the problem is people focus on static stretching for flexibility in movement, and while static stretching does make you more flexible it doesnt always help in movement so i believe that if trying to gain flexibility for something like martial arts or some sport you need to practice dynamic stretches because then you're working towrds flexibility in that specific motion. An example is a basic high front kick, you can develop some flexibilty in kicking from touching your toes and what not but to really get flexible in kicking you need to swing your leg as high as you can to become better at kicking and not just bending over.

Im not stating this as fact but im stating my experiences and experiences of people around me

I absolutely agree with you there 100%.

I'm 5'9-5'10. But I've been trying to get a lot of proteins like nuts,eggs,meats. Trying to gain muscle is discouraging when you see Arnold Schwarzenegger in his 30's Unhappy
So I went to get my physical a couple days back and I am 152.4 lbs. I've literally only gained two pounds since last year, and for my height, I'm pretty underweight. I've been trying to get a bit more in shape for rugby, but the judgement rooms filled with oddly shaped pieces of metal you people call weight rooms aren't really a place I enjoy going. I just need motivation Tongue_out
*Eye of the Tiger starts playing*
In all seriousness, give yourself small, achievable goals
(Aug. 21, 2014  3:46 AM)SupremeDragon16 Wrote: I'm 5'9-5'10. But I've been trying to get a lot of proteins like nuts,eggs,meats. Trying to gain muscle is discouraging when you see Arnold Schwarzenegger in his 30's Unhappy

Good job on the dietary decisions, excellent choices you've made!
Gaining size and strength depend on caloric intake as well as protein. If your daily expenditure is, say, 2300 calories, then all the protein won't help if you're consuming less than 2300 cals, you'll simply not grow.

Don't ever compare yourself to professional bodybuilders.
They're genetically elite (and I don't mean that in any eugenics sense at all, I mean that in the sense that the component of their muscle-gaining ability related to genetic predisposition is simply more adept than the average person), and they devote more and effort to training and diet than most athletes.

And they're chemically enhanced.
To the gills.

What kind of program and daily food intake are you on?

(Aug. 21, 2014  4:01 AM)Dual Wrote: So I went to get my play octal a couple days back and I am 152.4 lbs. I've literally only gained two pounds since last year, and for my height, I'm pretty underweight. I've been trying to get a bit more in shape for rugby, but the judgement rooms filled with oddly shaped pieces of metal you people call weight rooms aren't really a place I enjoy going. I just need motivation Tongue_out

Things start with motivation, and when that motivation starts to (almost inevitably) fade you depend of force of habit.

Rugby is an extremely physically demanding sport, I've played it myself. It requires a combined level of fitness, strength, and speed unrivalled by most sports.

Assuming you're in high school, yeah, weight rooms are a bit judgemental. It's a real shame, since people will most likely end up focusing on getting big numbers rather than strict form, predisposing to crippling injury...egos running rampant.

Perhaps a public gym would give you more peace of mind. Honestly, near enough to nobody there gives a damn about how someone else is doing, they're all more focused on their own thing. If you ever would like specific advice, let me know. Even if you're less muscularly developed at this stage than your peers, if you follow a good program and diet, you're quickly going to excel past them.

You like x-men right? Getting to Colossus, Juggernaut size won't come without weight training Tongue_out
The weight room shouldnt be that intimidating, i see alot of people who go to the ymca with terrible form and weak bodies, but usually if they start learning proper form and nutrition and are determined to change, they gain alot more than the guys who lift more than they actually can, ive seen alot of people make great gains because of their dedication and i see alot of people who look cool but are only causing injuries (which i dont think is cool), i was the former, i was barely 100lbs at 13 but i studied, practiced martial arts intesively, and started lifting, i was 135lbs after a year of training, so if you really want to be better than you are now you just gotta work hard and with form, some might need more time but hard work pays off.

Edit: one thing i forgot is that aside for proper nutrition and form one also needs a strong mentality, dont be intimidated because that can hold you back, always be confident and never be afraid of someone who is "bigger"
Does playing sports count as fitness? Me and a couple of buds are trying out sports since needed to stay active. We've liked a few like ultimate frisbee.
If you're working up a sweat and getting your body moving,its fitness. I'm playing Lacrosse now. At first I thought it was a lame corny sport. But its pretty awesome. Its like hockey,football mixed. After every game I'm sweating so much you'd think I took a shower.

yt152430 That martial art Baqi I think? Does that help with my upper body strength?
When I play basketball I sweat more than I do when i run 10 miles, haha. I don't get it especially since I am an idiot when I play basketball (although I am sure 2 full court shots in a row requires some skill Wink).

Anyways, I have been strengthening my core a lot lately. I managed to pull a muscle in my abdomen somehow and stretches and planks have not only been helping that, but strengthening it to. I am getting a lot more toned and defined which is epic! Even with the slight muscle gain, I still weight like 118-120 lol.

Oh and as douchey as this may sound, I leanred how to flex my pecs XD.
Ba Ji Quan (Eight Extremeties Fist) develops your whole body, your whole body has to generate torque for the striking, there are fundamental exercise that will build your shoulders and lower body, i can explain more if you pm me i guess
(Aug. 23, 2014  3:49 AM)Kalthesuperior Wrote: Does playing sports count as fitness? Me and a couple of buds are trying out sports since needed to stay active. We've liked a few like ultimate frisbee.
Sports do make you fitter than before, so I guess. Though Ultimate Frisbee isn't really the pinnacle of demanding sports. Depends what you're looking for, really.
(Aug. 23, 2014  5:01 AM)Dual Wrote:
(Aug. 23, 2014  3:49 AM)Kalthesuperior Wrote: Does playing sports count as fitness? Me and a couple of buds are trying out sports since needed to stay active. We've liked a few like ultimate frisbee.
Sports do make you fitter than before, so I guess. Though Ultimate Frisbee isn't really the pinnacle of demanding sports. Depends what you're looking for, really.

We were mostly looking for cardio, so we settled with ultimate. Besides, we wanted something fun so we don't get lazy.
I've been doing 50 push-ups, 50 sit ups and 40 squats to help my upper body in running this year.
(Aug. 23, 2014  9:23 PM)Ryukiba Wrote: I've been doing 50 push-ups, 50 sit ups and 40 squats to help my upper body in running this year.

Honestly, lower body is going to impact your running performance far more than upper body.

Additionally, squats are far more lower body orientated than upper.