Gaming as a sport (Please read the discussion and respond)

Poll: Gaming as a sport? (answer after reading both arguements

Yes
4.76%
No
95.24%
Total: 100% 21 vote(s)
I would vote in the poll but theres no Idc option like who really cares if Gaming is a sport....If i had to choose i guess uh...gaming isn't a sport sport it takes skill but still...idc
There are game fanatics, but I highly doubt playing videogames could be a sport. The original games were simple, like Pong, was it called? This is going to be a very interesting thread indeed.
(Oct. 03, 2009  2:29 AM)Anime Wrote: There are game fanatics, but I highly doubt playing videogames could be a sport. The original games were simple, like Pong, was it called? This is going to be a very interesting thread indeed.

There was actually one video game prior to pong....It was called Naughts and Crosses, and it was played on a computer the size of an average livingroom if I remember correctly.
(Oct. 03, 2009  2:34 AM)fragbait Wrote: There was actually one video game prior to pong....It was called Naughts and Crosses, and it was played on a computer the size of an average livingroom if I remember correctly.

HAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAAHHA

this is hilarious because it's incredibly obvious you don't know that that's another name for tic-tac-toe
In my opinion, video games are not a sport, basically for what Brad mentioned about the avatar. Do you think your avatar should not be a hundred times more exhausted than you if it were not digital, and that what it virtually did is not a lot closer to a sport than what you did by pushing a few buttons.

Moreover, if you are exhausted, even mentally, after playing video games, go do some sports, it is not really normal.
haha chess is considered a sport its just a board game tho
(Oct. 03, 2009  3:12 AM)Dirge Wrote: haha chess is considered a sport its just a board game tho
I do not get the impression that I am too wrong if I claim that chess involves a lot more than video games though, if you have actually played a real game of chess. Of course you could say that you can indeed play chess online, however it is a lot safer to play 'in real life'.

Encyclopedia Britannica's definition of sports is so absolutely vague. You would think the competition that ends up happening between family members and friends when you want to build a piece of furniture from Ikea quickly could become a sport ...
(Oct. 03, 2009  2:55 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: HAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAAHHA

this is hilarious because it's incredibly obvious you don't know that that's another name for tic-tac-toe

I am aware of this Brad. This was a COMPUTER VERSION.
(Oct. 03, 2009  1:04 AM)fragbait Wrote: There was actually one video game prior to pong....It was called Naughts and Crosses, and it was played on a computer the size of an average livingroom if I remember correctly.

yeah this post definitely describes you know exactly what this game is

Quote:You continue to prove you aren't at all understanding the argument I've made.

i'm fairly certain you don't understand the argument you've made, and you've failed to respond in earnest to any of the incredibly logical arguments presented
I'm not to sure about this. To me it doesn't matter whether Gaming gets regonised as a sport, Labeling it as a sport wont change anything. I guess it may help to get it even more socially accepted than it is now, but Gaming companies are now widening there audience to everybody now so does it really matter?
For me sports need to be far more physically demanding. My view on sports is fairly orthodox so I don't consider games like chess to be sports. Yes they require skill, but they are not sports

Essentially if it is sedentary, it's not a sport.
Interesting responses, guys. I'm not surprised I'm the only one with a "Yes" vote XD
(Oct. 03, 2009  4:57 AM)Khel Wrote: For me sports need to be far more physically demanding. My view on sports is fairly orthodox so I don't consider games like chess to be sports. Yes they require skill, but they are not sports

Essentially if it is sedentary, it's not a sport.

The problem is that people view "game" as a derogatory label out of insecurity with their own hobbies. I believe this to be the reasoning behind almost all of the "Beyblade should be a sport!" kids; if it's a sport, they no longer need to be ashamed. Unless it's soccer.
There's nothing wrong with something being a game. It doesn't take away at all from the skill required to play it.
(Oct. 03, 2009  3:02 AM)Kai-V Wrote: Moreover, if you are exhausted, even mentally, after playing video games, go do some sports, it is not really normal.

There are some extraordinarily difficult video games that are very mentally tasking.
(Oct. 03, 2009  5:16 AM)Synesthesia Wrote: There are some extraordinarily difficult video games that are very mentally tasking.

one time i raised chao in sonic adventure 2 for sixteen hours straight and wanted to kill myself afterwards
(Oct. 03, 2009  5:17 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: one time i raised chao in sonic adventure 2 for sixteen hours straight and wanted to kill myself afterwards
This borders along the lines of masochism.

I don't bother with many Mario games anymore because every last one I've ever played gets stupidly hard near the end, or has ridiculously hard parts randomly strewn about.
i was able to fly through mario 3 when i was six and can't beat it at all now
(Oct. 03, 2009  5:25 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: i was able to fly through mario 3 when i was six and can't beat it at all now

There has to be an explanation for this
I wouldn't be surprised if I am worse at games now than when I was 11-12
(Oct. 03, 2009  5:07 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: Unless it's soccer.

Center holds it! HOLDS IT! HOOOLLDSSS IT!!!!
This thread... Holy carp. I read through it all and I still don't think I can respond properly.

Um... Let's just start with this. As someone who was previously a very hardcore gamer (I ran my own gaming blog and podcast, if you'll remember lol), I don't consider video games a sport. They are games, and I think there is a very distinct differentiation between a "game" and a "sport". There is nothing wrong with either of them, and they are labeled differently for a reason -- they aren't the same thing, and they shouldn't be treated as the same thing.

I think what has people so confused about this is the fact that "professional gaming" now exists. People play video games as their way of living, similar to those individuals who play sports for a living. There are various similarities between the two groups of people and the activities in which they participate to make money, but there are also vast differences.

Sports players spend a lot of time and energy training for various events, as do professional gamers. Sports players tend to be on a team and play against other teams, as do professional gamers. But that's about where the similarities end and the differences begin. Sports players use a pretty even amount of both mental and physical skill in their craft, sometimes tending more toward the physical side, while gamers are using a much more uneven amount, with more mental skill being used.

Anyone who tries to say that video games can be a physical activity is lying both to themselves and everyone else -- it really isn't. Unless of course we're talking about a WiiFit tournament or something like that which, to my knowledge anyway, doesn't exist. (And let's hope it stays that way lol)

Anyway, my real point here is that games and sports are separate entities because they are different, and games will never be considered a "sport" because they lack a lot of the inherent qualities that make a sport a sport in the first place.
As Roan said, there's a reason why the word "Game" and the word "Sport" were made as they are different.

For me, I would consider sports as one using their attributes of their physical structure as well and strategizing as those are what that are similar in sports.

(Eg: Basketball, Soccer, Volleyball)

They all require agility, strategy on how to counter attack and teamwork (unless it's a 1 on 1)

Moreover, if gaming was a sport, the olympic would have stuff like counterstrike in one of those catergory like Brad said, Beyblades in them.
No. Just no. No shower after you're done = no sport (I don't consider chess a sport lol)