[Formula Bei] SILVER SHELL: KICKSTARTER - Final Hours!

I thought gunmetal parts would have green shine (instead of purple ones) but this makes more sence and looks even nicer. Keep up the good work! :D
Dragon Stickers concept:
Raptor Stickers concept:
Crypto Stickers concept:
(there's some slight clipping issues on dragon and raptor's sheets, but they still get the idea across :p)

Any thoughts?
Those look fairly decent (liking the crazy colors of Dragon) althought I'm not so sure about name placement because text will be mostly covered with the central bolt. Uncertain Maybe you should shuld be placed on the each side of that central "I" beam.

Also some simpler sans-serif font would be nicer in my opinon and those curves could be a more fuild.
(Feb. 23, 2018  3:25 PM)model850 Wrote: Those look fairly decent (liking the crazy colors of Dragon)  althought I'm not so sure about name placement because text will be mostly covered with the central bolt. Uncertain Maybe you should shuld be placed on the each side of that central "I" beam.

Also some simpler sans-serif font would be nicer in my opinon and those curves could be a more fuild.

...now that you bring it up, putting the names on the beams instead of the center would work better. I'll get on that, haha

I want to make the curves more fluid too, but the software I use makes it impossible to have both fluid curves and the gradient colors, so there's not a lot I can do to fix them. I'll take a look and what I can do, though
I don't know witch program you use but  Adobe Illustrator (whitch I presonally use a lot) can replicate those in perfect precision (even gradient colors). I could reproduce your designs but before we get green light I would need precise "blueprints" of the parts so I can work with exact measurements.

I encourage you to try it by yourself because Illustrator is standard in graphic design industry and this design isn't too complex to reproduce. :)
I like how these are turning out! Are all the parts compatable? Like can you take parts from crypto and raptor and make a new design?

Also is it ok it I try to (Digitally) design a new shell idea? Won't be a physical model but instead a design made in illustrator. I have no way nor the supplies to make a physical shell.
(Feb. 23, 2018  4:17 PM)MWF Wrote: I like how these are turning out! Are all the parts compatable? Like can you take parts from crypto and raptor and make a new design?

Yes! Absolutely! All the parts are totally cross-compatible between shells. The hardware (nuts and bolts) is also universal, so you can use your own parts or buts and pieces that you find online or at the local hardware store. I'll post some more cross-designs when I get a minute.

(Feb. 23, 2018  4:17 PM)MWF Wrote: Also is it ok it I try to (Digitally) design a new shell idea? Won't be a physical model but instead a design made in illustrator. I have no way nor the supplies to make a physical shell.

Love to see what you come up with!

(Feb. 23, 2018  3:05 PM)TrainiacJ Wrote: Dragon Stickers concept:
Raptor Stickers concept:
Crypto Stickers concept:

I'm just so completely blown away by this. So awesome! I guess it's a good point about the central bolt, though I'm not against the idea of dressing up each part in its own right - so that central sticker part could be adapted to suit the gear plates you'd usually find with the core. You're the best TrainiaJ!
Well guys, this is it! Just 24 hours left. If you've been undecided, now is your last chance. Big thanks to everyone who's supported the campaign so far, you guys are the best! When Silver Shell finally comes together, you can say you made it happen.

It's been surprisingly bad weather here these last few days, so I haven't done any more painting. Funny how little things like this make a dent in the schedule. To be honest though, the recent sticker work by TrainiacJ has made me wonder if there isn't an all-round better way than paint to decorate your shells in a unique way - model850 mentioned laser etching, for example. I expect as fulfilment of rewards gets underway, I'll have a better chance to design a proper production process for something like this.

Also, don't forget the new Metal Upgrade Core for those of you who are looking for a lower-priced pledge.

Thanks everyone!
(Feb. 24, 2018  3:46 AM)WBeylon Wrote:
(Feb. 23, 2018  4:17 PM)MWF Wrote: I like how these are turning out! Are all the parts compatable? Like can you take parts from crypto and raptor and make a new design?

Yes! Absolutely! All the parts are totally cross-compatible between shells. The hardware (nuts and bolts) is also universal, so you can use your own parts or buts and pieces that you find online or at the local hardware store. I'll post some more cross-designs when I get a minute.

(Feb. 23, 2018  4:17 PM)MWF Wrote: Also is it ok it I try to (Digitally) design a new shell idea? Won't be a physical model but instead a design made in illustrator. I have no way nor the supplies to make a physical shell.

Love to see what you come up with!

(Feb. 23, 2018  3:05 PM)TrainiacJ Wrote: Dragon Stickers concept:
Raptor Stickers concept:
Crypto Stickers concept:

I'm just so completely blown away by this. So awesome! I guess it's a good point about the central bolt, though I'm not against the idea of dressing up each part in its own right - so that central sticker part could be adapted to suit the gear plates you'd usually find with the core. You're the best TrainiaJ!

This is beyond awesome, I have to say that crypto’s stickers look the best!!!!!!!!!!!!
any updates on the kickstarter production? or where can i find updates?
Mine arrived yesterday but I wasn't home to recieve them until today. Boy oh boy these look sweet in reality. :D
Each shells cardboard packaging box is so tiny but neatly packed as each shell has it's own wooden "pedestal" to keep them in place. Not a single piece of waste plastic just as Beylon mentioned in his last Kikstarter update.

As far as shells go they look and feel fantastic. I haven't tested them to check the perforamce as I'm more of a collector but they feel heavy and sturdy. Center bolts were loose when they arrived but couple of wrench twists will sort that out, smaller ones are holding nicely. I would prefer dark/black finish (as pictures portrayed it) but actual gunmetal color gives them nice modern tech vibe.

What surprsed me most was the power unit for which I had low interest in the first place. It fits nicely in the palm and gives you confident (hefty) feeling (too bad Beyblade lounchers feel so cheap). Above all, ball bearing are buttery smooth. To bad it does't have some kind of locking mechanism to keep the string in place once winded but maybe some future iterations will.

All in all nicely done Beylon. Hopefully more people will try them and unlock their true potential!
Mine arrived yesterday as well! I haven't even gotten to try launching it yet because i've been too occupied experimenting with all the customizations, haha. The bag the launcher and tool kit was stored in and the little boxed that held each shell are very nice, and the wooden pieces are also very helpful as a base to put together a shell. Everything within is great and it was very much worth buying. I hope there's more in store for the line! @[Beylon]
You've gotten all the tree shell designs or one in perticular? :D
Wow! I am so glad JoJo brought this to my attention. I love these and need to get my hands on some! Truly a work of art.

Super sad I missed my chances this time though Pinching_eyes_2
(May. 11, 2018  9:25 PM)Arcosst Wrote: Wow! I am so glad JoJo brought this to my attention. I love these and need to get my hands on some! Truly a work of art.

Super sad I missed my chances this time though Pinching_eyes_2

They are expensive and out of reach for most, but that is the drawback of making things in small volumes (economy of scale) with higher quality materials. On the other hand you do get a top/shell that can be arranged into 3-4 different arrangements.

For now they are quite raw but have a big potential for future customizations (colors, stickers, cutom parts, etc.). Smile
i'm worried about the safety risks. these things are like shurikens. they can hurt if you aren't careful, so i think we should develop a stadium for these tops too.
(May. 12, 2018  4:17 PM)ultra destinus Wrote: i'm worried about the safety risks. these things are like shurikens. they can hurt if you aren't careful, so i think we should develop a stadium for these tops too.

That's probably the biggest thing holding me back from wanting them. I like the customizability, and though it's annoying they are based on only 3 of the 4 Bladebreaker beys, I can probably get over that.

But they just look like too much trouble in the safety department. And it's a total shame because the level of customization is amazing, but this isn't something I can just pull out and play on the floor.

Maybe that's one of the design intentions, to be more "serious" like those battle robots. Or just that metal is more convenient to work with, that could just be it. But whatever the case, it's just not something that could fit into my life at the moment, I don't think. Not unless I'm willing to setup a special safety zone and go through all the safety effort.

But who knows, situations change. Still, probably an opinion worth sharing.
I think if it became popular then a special stadium with no over finish spaces would be good. They don't seem to burst purposefully, so having a deep stadium with no exits seems pretty safe.

I think they are more like robot fights than kid toys, but I kinda love that about them. I think they could help more adults see fighting tops as not just a toy. At least in the way they probably think about them, but more of a robot or drone type of toy.

I also think it'd be a good idea to have at least one specialty glove that is safe to handle the top with when grabbing it.
Yeah, I don't care much about trying to "appeal to the adult masses" nor am I taking a "think of the children" stance as much as I just don't want to be hurt by them and it seems like a lot of trouble to avoid doing that right now. It's a really creative idea, but...I have other options that don't risk hurting me to that extent, whether Beyblades or regular beigoma.

And it sucks because it is a really good idea otherwise, the design is really creative.

Maybe I'm not the target audience at this point in time, but for what it's worth saying.
Haha yeah I can see not wanting to get hurt. I've always been a robot fighting fan though. Also always loved tops growing up, no matter the kind. So kind of bringing the two together with a lot of customization and metal and screws just kind of speaks to me. I kind of think of it as Pacific Rim, you know, when there's the mechanic who makes the giant mech. Being able to fully customize something like that and build it from the ground up is really satisfying to me.
(May. 12, 2018  7:27 PM)Arcosst Wrote: I think if it became popular then a special stadium with no over finish spaces would be good. They don't seem to burst purposefully, so having a deep stadium with no exits seems pretty safe.

I think they are more like robot fights than kid toys, but I kinda love that about them. I think they could help more adults see fighting tops as not just a toy. At least in the way they probably think about them, but more of a robot or drone type of toy.

I also think it'd be a good idea to have at least one specialty glove that is safe to handle the top with when grabbing it.

Either we get a deep stadium or get some custom made armor to use these things so they don't slice our bodies.
(May. 13, 2018  3:59 AM)ultra destinus Wrote: Either we get a deep stadium or get some custom made armor to use these things so they don't slice our bodies.

Or just simly make a stronger protective wall around the stadium as japanese have been using since the beginning of the beyblade ( https://tinyurl.com/yc8xbtgn ). Other option is reducing the power of the launcher as was mentioned on reviews. Uncertain

Btw that safety glove is not a bad ideaat all. Grin
Glad you guys got your gear!

Been away working on another project (if anyone remembers what I usually do for a job) and finally getting some internet here. Real life calls, I guess. Too soon to tell if there's been any unfortunate losses in the mail - but no complaints yet! Except apparently the Kickstarter website no longer works with IE and I have to download Chrome... That'll hurt the satellite.

Here's some trivia based on the discussion in my absence:

• There was a stadium designed in stainless steel. This was the most expensive research and development cost, spanning about three years. The plan was to release it if we broke through the original funding goal. Obviously the Kei/Mana stuff-up ruined that plan though.

• A prosthetic hand attachment was designed for the power unit. Apart from allowing people with only one hand to play, it also provided some protection for fingers. The design was scrapped after the convention tour was upset by the stuff-up, the device being difficult to explain without a live demo.

• The original boxes were about 150% volume of the release boxes. Their larger size was to fit a tool kit in each box, which was originally set to be an unlockable feature. The stuff-up meant this had to be scrapped because I couldn't have the boxes and inserts made in bulk (or buy the hex keys at a reasonable price, for that matter).

• I had to change the project title for Google after the stuff-up. This also meant I had to redo the packaging printing - which ended up being done entirely by hand with natural inks.

• The power unit bearings have no bushes. This is to allow players to adjust the tension manually.

• The two bolt holes on the spanner are compatible with WarShell parts, if that's any indication of where I wanted to take the project in the long run.

• I couldn't afford to print instructions in the end. This would have been the second most expensive component in the entire project unless it was done in bulk. I trust you all, anyway.

• The tops were supplied in their built form because postage tests suggested flat-pack and bits-bag designs would almost always be damaged in transit.

• Almost half the pledges came from Facebook visitors.

• Nobody pledged for an upgrade core but three existing backers pledged for... Was it seven? Seven cores between them? I think that's right.

• No single top was pledged for more than any other.

• The delay in payment from Kickstarter meant I accepted a number of private orders after the campaign ended. These extra orders meant I could afford to redo the packaging at the last minute without too much of a loss.

• Australia Post will NOT accept that "Europe" is a postage region. Wha?!

• The GIFs on the project page were made using a rotating platform I made out of parts from an old lamp and a remote control car.

• I spent more time rendering video during the project than it took to fulfil every single order combined.

• Thankfully, there were no hardware failures.

• And finally, the manufacturers of the "performance" tip (being the standard dome which comes with each top - and which can be launched either aggressively or defensively) tell me they will no longer produce it. I guess it was too hard? So unless I can find someone else to make them, the Kickstarter backers are the only people who'll benefit from that design forevermore. I only have two left, myself. Priceless!

I'll probably think of more, after I post this.

Cannot thank the backers enough for their support. Big thanks also to the YouTube community, who really came through with the reviews, website traffic and pledges. I've not been a big user of Youtube in the past (no internet here, usually) and I can see I've been missing out. You guys rock!
I'd be more interested in hearing about the design ideas for the stadium, because just saying it would be made in stainless steel doesn't say much. And just having a hand protector doesn't necessarily cover all the safety concerns I have (though protecting my hands is a big one). But I'm wondering if the intended stadium design covered more of these things.

Very interesting about the performance tip, I do hope you can find someone to keep making your design.
by chance would there be a way to get more if im in a better place financially now and want to complete the set?