[Formula Bei] SILVER SHELL: KICKSTARTER - Final Hours!

well Beylon, how does the idea of some Open Source Beyblade Classic G1/HMS-compatible Modular Beigoma systems sound to you?
Like say, an open source Beyblade HMS-Compatible Modular Beigoma system called Autonamashell
Yeah, it sound's awesome. You should probably start a thread in the Your Creations section though - as the point of this blog is pretty specific. I'll be sure to follow your progress when you do.

Until then, what are your thoughts on kickstarters in general? Is this something peeps here might participate in? I did play with the idea of just doing pre-orders through the Buy/Sell section here on the WBO but it strikes me I need a critical mass audience to make the money worth the time.
I haven't tried Kickstarter yet, but absolutely love the idea of crowdfunding in general
As discussed elsewhere, this thread is taking over from Formula Bei until the next forum update happens. With the weight of posts I'm expecting here over the next few weeks, the original thread simply isn't up to the job. I hope that's okay and that nobody is offended by the split. This move has been in the works for a while now and is still true to the purpose of the original concept: a game where you genuinely build your own fighting top from scratch... EDIT: wow, okay, I've had to update this post pretty heavily but we're back on track now.

THE KICKSTARTER:

[Image: NaRt0iN.png]

Silver Shell is the first Kickstarter from the Beyblade community - I hope we can all band together and make this project happen as a group effort. If you like the project, your valuable pledge is much appreciated. Otherwise, please, tell everyone you know. You'll be surprise how many of your friends and family will appreciate the heads-up.

The main reason this project ended up in the Beyblade General forum to begin with is because it is (and always has been) for fans of Beyblade. You guys know better than anyone how cool something like this can be. This project is for all of us. Let's make it happen together.

THE BASICS:

[Image: 9LOkpAI.jpg]

Silver Shell battles work like Beyblade, but you design and build your own fighting tops from modular kits made of stainless steel.

In Silver Shell, you have a gang of up to 3 fighting automata, called "shells". The shells in your gang takes turns fighting those of your opponent. As the fight goes on, the difficulty naturally shifts - so you never get stuck at the bottom of a loosing battle.

You can download the complete rules for FREE from the Kickstarter page or pedge just AU$2 for the printer-friendly HD version. Have a look and tell us all what you think in this thread.

[Image: yP121ig.gif]

Each shell is made up of layers of components which fit together easy as Lego or Meccano. You can mix and match components between shells to create your own unique and incredibly detailed designs. Each shell adds depth and strategy to your overall fighting style.

[Image: CUZUdmy.png]

[Image: z03Zxiq.jpg]

[Image: P4uBS63.png]

DESIGN YOUR OWN SHELL COMPETITON:

As the Kickstarter campaign goes on, I'll be announcing details of a WBO exclusive design your own shell competition where you will get create your own fighting machine - just like the one above.

The winner will have their entry incorporated into the Silver Shell LX SERIES as a Kickstarter exclusive. If the Kickstarter is successfully funded, the winner will also receive the actual shell they designed, for free. So we really need to make that funding goal, guys!

Stay tuned for entry dates and details.

FAQ:

THANKS GUYS!

The WBO has been a big part of my life for many years and this community is the strongest I've seen. It doesn't matter if we haven't met face-to-face or if we've never "liked" each others posts. We're all here together, enjoying the same thing. This project is for all of us. If Silver Shell does just one thing, I hope it makes us even stronger. Visit the Kickstarter page and make your pledge count. We can do this!

I've been waiting for this since I first read your awesome Formula BEI thread. The meccano-like, seemingly infinite customization looks amazing and I can't wait to see what else is lined up for the series. and you bet i'll be submitting a design for that design competition, haha.

take all of my money please
Yes, my brilliant local peeps, Silver Shell: Combat Automata is finally live on Kickstarter and it has a brand new shiny thread in the General section where you can discuss the details. But I know a lot of you only subscribe to the Australia forum, so this one is for you:

I'm going to be running a stall at CANCON in Canberra over the Australia Day long weekend. THIS WEEKEND! It'll be to promote the Kickstarter but I'll be there and you'll be able to talk to me about the project.

What do I look like? Go to the Kickstarter page to find out! And please, help a guy out with a pledge. I'm running this project for all of us, so I hope we can all get on board. Let's make this happen, guys!

Hope to see you there!
Wow, this looks really promising! I've been interested in finding toys that enhance the customizability and weight-tuning aspect of Beyblade for a while, and it looks to me like you've managed to combine all the best aspects of Beyblade into one with Silver Shell. Can't wait to get my hands on some and hopefully you'll be able to get an active community going through the WBO.
I can imagine beyblade vs silver shell combat automata vids on youtube!
Take my money, also can we have a dragoon?
Thanks guys, super glad you're pumped!

I can design parts very quickly for the UNLOCK feature - so if there's designs you'd like to see, let me know and I'll do my best to work them in.

We still have to raise the funds for that to happen though - so pledge early to ensure those unlock levels are reached. Seriously, early pledges are SUPER valuable because they tell Kickstarter the project is popular and put us at the top of the list.

(Jan. 23, 2018  2:58 AM)Maximum beys Wrote: I can imagine beyblade vs silver shell combat automata vids on youtube!

Awesome idea! Everyone, get on YouTube and tell your favourite Youtubers you want to see Silver Shell vs Beyblade. Get in the comments, link back to the Kickstarter page or this thread. Make it clear: WE WANT TO SEE SILVER SHELL. Let them know what you want!

Stay tuned!
Hey @[Beylon], just wanted to let you know we've merged your Kickstarter thread into this one now so that it's back in Beyblade General!
Thanks Kei - glad we're back up and running!

Okay guys, I'm current on the road - on my way to CANCON in Canberra, Australia where I'll be hosting a small display for the next 3 days. I'll be available for chats all day Sunday. If you're a blogger or youtuber, call in and I'll see about fixing you up with some prototypes.

I've also updated to OP, so go ahead and share this thread with you Beyblade peeps to generate some interest in the upcoming design competition! More news on that soon.
Okay guys, I'm updating you all here because I'm getting some misplaced info via Facebook, email and PM and I'm beginning to understand the extent of the damage caused to this project by the recent actions of at least one member of the WBO Committee. Some of you will already be generally aware of this issue by PM. Clearly I need to be more public in dealing with this to avoid confusion, now that I have been forced to temporarily cancel the Silver Shell Kickstarter.

First, this Kickstarter project was made possible by a grant of permission I received from Mana in this post on Nov 29 last year. I will quote the entire post for ease of access:

(Nov. 28, 2017  3:42 PM)~Mana~ Wrote: Hey @[Beylon], looks like we've narrowed down the issue!

The solution I had in mind didn't work and wasn't database related. However, it seems that you've actually been hitting the memory limit in the text editor, which is a technical limitation within the MyBB software. I've been assured there's an update to improve this in development over at MyBB, but I'm not sure when we'll see this happen.

This does mean that your main solution would be to start a new thread and claim the first few posts for yourself to ensure you're giving yourself plenty of room. People could freely post afterwards, but the first five or six would be reserved for you. It also means that, when the MyBB solution is implemented, we can just merge all your posts to clean things up.

If you want to move ahead with this, let me know!

I have the utmost respect for Mana in devising and proposing this elegant and helpful solution to an ongoing technical issue with the WBO forum which has otherwise prevented me from updating the Formula Bei blog in any meaningful or useful way for more than a year. Until Mana proposed this solution, I was forced to code every blog update blind, on my local computer, using a raw text editor, before copying the entire thing into the WBO and just hoping it worked. The success rate with this "blind" method was about 50% and every time it failed, it broke the blog until I fixed it manually (and still blind) with still only a 50% chance of success. My rapid-fire posts over New Years on the blog itself demonstrate just how debilitating this issue really is. The situation was certainly never good enough to support the updates you'd expect from a Kickstarter.

Bear in mind here that the entire point of Formula Bei has always been to explore and advance the idea of a fighting top game where players design and build their own tops. Monetisation has been a core part of the Formula Bei concept from the very first post. The name and form of the project has evolved over the years but the concept has always remained true to its core. I originally posted the blog in the "Your Creations" section (in 2014) for exactly this reason. The Mods and Committee saw fit to relocate Formula Bei to the "General" section entirely of their own accord and there it has stayed for years, as I toiled away documenting the project and its context in our world.

Now the project has finally come to fruition with Silver Shell. The technical solution from Mana gave me the ability to expand Formula Bei into a new thread. This finally opened up the possibility of hosting a Kickstarter through the blog with the increased control I'd have over the fresh thread. No more technical glitches! Fewer technical glitches would mean more updates and more traffic, in a prominent part of the forum, which in turn would make the Kickstarter a viable idea - even if only by a narrow margin.

So I made it happen. I let everyone know in my most recent Formula Bei posts that a Kickstarter was incoming, that it would likely be hosted in a new thread of some kind, and I put together a Kickstarter page with every ounce of effort I had over Christmas and New Years. I submitted the project to Kickstarter, where it was immediately approved, and I put together the new thread Mana had granted me.

The Kickstarter went live, I posted the new thread on the WBO as promised and for a few hours, the traffic leading to the Kickstarter page from the WBO was very promising. You can read more about those results in the "updates" section of the Kickstarter page. If those numbers had continued to trend they way Kickstarters often do (strong at first, gradually dropping away and lifting again just before the end) then the project would have been on track to exceed our funding goal by 50%.

But then something very bad happened.

For reasons still not publically disclosed by the WBO Committee, Kei suddenly stepped in and moved the Kickstarter thread from the "General" section to the "Your Creations" section, without any advance warning. The move was accompanied by what I feel was, frankly, a brutal and public warning to me about using the forum for such purposes. This was entirely at odds with the permission granted to me by Mana in starting a new thread and entirely opposed to the core concept of Formula Bei as it has stood for years.

Traffic from the WBO to the Kickstarter page immediately dropped to nothing.

If the thread had just been moved (with no warning issued) then it is very likely the decreased traffic would have prevented the Kickstarter from succeeding anyway. But it seems to me, now with the benefit of hindsight, that the uncalled-for and scathing warning from Kei acted as a signpost to any future traffic from the WBO that the Silver Shell project should be avoided altogether. I don't know if this was Kei's original intention - but the numbers I am able to read from my Kickstarter dashboard make the effect of his actions very, very clear:

When Kei disrupted the Kickstarter thread, he killed the Silver Shell campaign.

I immediately entered into a number of days of negotiation with Kei over this issue by PM and I made sure he wasn't the only person who knew these negotiations were happening. This was valuable time which detracted from the campaign and my ability to update - considering also that I was travelling to promote the campaign at various conventions at the time, that I could not update the blog with my phone due to the forum glitch (and try finding wifi and a power outlet for your laptop in Australia, I dare you) and finally that Kei knew all this.

During those negotiations, Kei first denied that Mana had ever granted me permission to start a new thread (despite me already having posted a direct link to the above-quoted permission in the first three words of the Kickstarter thread itself), in effect, calling me a liar by ignorance. When I drew his attention to the fact specifically, he continued to deny there had been any permission granted and told me the "misunderstanding" was my own fault. Kei was wrong here - there was no misunderstanding. He finally offered to merge the Kickstarter thread with the existing Formula Bei thread - despite my desperate attempts to explain to him how the Formula Bei thread is basically useless due to a forum glitch which he himself is responsible for as a member of the Committee. Here's the provable truth:

• Mana gave me permission to continue Formula Bei in a new thread.

• I posted in Formula Bei, weeks in advance, telling everyone what was going to happen with the Kickstarter.

• I subsequently posted the new thread, just as Mana suggested, with the Kickstarter details.

• Traffic to the Kickstarter looked good.

• Kei moved the new thread to the Your Creations forum with what I feel was a scathing and defamatory public message.

• All traffic to the Kickstarter immediately ceased.

• Kei merged the Kickstarter thread with the original Formula Bei, fully aware of the technical issues still affecting that thread.

• The Kickstarter never recovered.

Last night I cancelled the Kickstarter. I did not want to - I was forced to. With the campaign derailed by Kei's actions, there was no way we were going to reach our funding goal. Kei killed it. This has been a profoundly damaging experience for me, financially and emotionally - not to mention the detriment to my reputation and my self-esteem.

It seems patently obvious to me that Mana granted me permission in good faith to solve an ongoing and obvious technical issue with the forum by allowing me some play with the usual rules - and Kei just didn't know. Kei stepped in, without checking his facts, without even reading my explicit explanations in the Kickstarter thread, and ruined the project for everyone - for no reason but ignorance. Being alerted to his mistake, Kei refused to make it right. It's that last part which I cannot forgive. He could have fixed it immediately. He didn't.

Now I understand that Kei is on the Committee. But that's just it. It's supposed to be a Committee. I don't appreciate Kei or anyone else singularly overruling the decisions of other Committee members by veto. That is not what any of the WBO members pay for. That is not why anyone contributes to this forum. The whole point of having a Committee is to avoid situations exactly like this. Kei has no right to step into my thread, upon which I have a great amount riding, and publically dismiss me when I'm only following directions already delivered to me by the Committee.

I'm not posting this out of spite for Kei. I just want everyone whose contacting me by PM and email and Facebook to have access to the facts in one centralised public location. The fact is Kei had more than enough opportunity to accept the blame for his mistake and instead he has hoisted it upon me repeatedly, in the private comfort of PMs, without any reasonable cause. He has done nothing to help me or anyone else through this issue and he has, at best, shifted blame to poor old Mana for permitting me to start a new thread in the first place. Mana did the right thing. Kei messed it up and it's time for him to come clean.

I want a public apology.

Going forward...

It would not be fair to all the people who've supported me over the years to just cut this project loose. Instead I'm making one final sacrifice to this community and re-launching the project at severe cost to myself. What other choice do I really have? Basically, I'll be re-launching the Kickstarter this Friday 9th February 2018 with a severely reduced funding goal. Despite an ongoing Kickstarter glitch, which they're currently working on, a preview of the project re-launch will eventually be available here:

The new funding goal better represents an achievable amount now that the project has been dashed. It also means I will receive basically nothing for my effort. Your pledges will cover materials and manufacturing for your specific rewards but the cost of setup and time is on me now.

I've also had to cut the heart from the project itself, to save the rest. There will be no more "unlock" goals, no more support for the "Combat Automata" gameplay system (the original core of Formula Bei) and I won't be able to afford to run the design competition here on the WBO like I wanted. This is absolutely heartbreaking for me and I'm sorry to disappoint everyone. All I can realistically do is offer the rewards as they stand. I hope you will continue to support the project at the re-launch on Friday.

My apologies again to everyone who's supported the project so far.

Edited to fix project preview link.
Hm.. the reason why I stopped supporting going to tournaments, and why I changed hobbies. The moderators really don't play a good job. Honestly, I'll be surprised if they apologise.

I know it isn't much, but you have my support.
so your entire business model was hinged on the specific location of a single forum thread?
(Feb. 06, 2018  5:34 AM)EpicLight Wrote: so your entire business model was hinged on the specific location of a single forum thread?

It was never a "business model" exactly but I take your point. The problem extends to the domino effect such a massive and unforeseen upheaval has on the rest of the campaign channels. If I spend four days negotiating for something I planned to have from the start, I have to suddenly drop four days of planned expansion elsewhere - compounded by the fact I'm essentially on tour for conventions, planned with the understanding I was solid on the main channel, this put me about 10 days behind for the entire campaign. That's a big deal in a Kickstarter.

Usually when the initial problem comes from the primary channel, it's essentially half the audience suddenly in flux - maybe they'll see the campaign, maybe they won't. In this case, the difference was undeniably clear-cut. Before the interruption, there was no uncertainty. The grant was clear. Even if I hadn't planned to expand and hadn't already assimilated with a host of other forums and groups across the net, even if I hadn't set up reviews and press and sent out expensive samples across the globe, all of which I have indeed done, scaled to the core support I expected from the WBO in the first few days, the grant was still granted. How could I have possibly known it would be pulled just hours after the launch? And by people I otherwise trusted?

Half the point of re-launching so soon now is to pick up the remaining channels - but the project has to be correspondingly scaled back to suit... Which takes more time, and so on. So yeah, there's a lot of work behind the scenes but if the primary channel figures are blown out by some random disaster (like this) then there's really not much else for it - you have to pull the other channels before you waste them. Or go bankrupt, I guess.

(Feb. 06, 2018  5:28 AM)Sıon Wrote: I know it isn't much, but you have my support.

Your support means everything, mate. It's what makes us a strong community. Thank you.
Thats such a bummer, Beylon, I think the extra stuff and Combat Automata and Design Contests, etc should come back for real once the Silver Shell Kickstarter finally becomes successful. I hope it becomes a success, and I cant wait to see it become fully Open Source under like say the MIT License or the GNU GPL License, so we can be able to freely copy, share, remix each others' Shell Designs and make money by selling our own completed physical products. That will be so awesome!
Except that, Beylon, the reason Brad, me and anybody else allowed it to remain within the Beyblade General forum is 100% because of the great Beyblade history posts.

If it had been a topic solely about your project, we literally have a history of keeping those threads inside the Your Creations forum.

And Sion, what the hell are you talking about hahah? Until you have actually been in this position or at least tried to do something similar for this specific community, there is not much to be said.
I suppose it's time for me to break my silence. Your constant attempts to rope the public into this situation shows that you want it out here, so let's not beat around the bush anymore. You want an analysis? You've got one, and I'm not going to hold back.

The New Thread

Seems fitting to open with this, given that this is the part that pertains most to me.

I'll never stop apologising for how long the turnaround time has been on a fix for your blog thread. While I wouldn't necessarily say the issue killed the thread altogether, it did make things horribly awkward for any updates. As I've told you before, it's simply a memory issue with the text editor, and something we'll hopefully have rectified in our new theme rewrite as well. I can understand that this has been a nightmare for you, and even I'm disappointed that we haven't found a solution in what seems to be over a year now either.

Obviously, I made the recommendation to make a new thread as you've clearly quoted there, but I think you're horribly misunderstanding exactly what I was granting there. Your blog thread clearly wasn't updatable, and my suggestion of a new blog thread was to ensure that you'd have the post space to use to not have to deal with the issues with the text editor. As I clearly state, you'd have picked up the first few posts in the thread to ensure you had space for your updates and editor issues wouldn't be an issue and, when a solution is in place, we would merge the new thread to keep everything intact.

This suggestion was not a grant of permission to create a second thread to advertise a Kickstarter campaign, and then seemingly use my post as a means of permission. It was to remake your blog thread, and us lock your existing one to preserve it until we merged it. I'm very disappointed that you seem to have twisted my grant of permission into something that was 100% not what we discussed.

This is a first example of the manipulation going on here.

Our Stance on the Kickstarter

While I didn't think it needs to be said, I'll say it here and now; we do not have an issue with this Kickstarter being run on the WBO. At no point have we prevented this Kickstarter from happening, despite having Kickstarters run on-site being a grey area for us. The WBO has supported the project for years, and we're not pulling our support here. We're just not providing any extended support either.

As you can imagine, it's a situation we haven't had to face before. We hadn't considered our stance on something like this until you posted yours. For us, there's always a lot to consider; we cannot directly give our support to a project like this - it's like supporting a competitor really. But we have no issue housing a thread for your brand and your project.

Think of it like our Battle Strikers situation in a way; we will not directly support Battle Strikers, but we're happy to house an off-topic thread for it. We're not directly supporting it by keeping a thread for it as that's supporting a competitor again. It's like silent support for it in a way? And the same is evident for your project here as well; if we directly support it, it's an issue. Silent support by giving it a place to live is our best approach, but there's nothing more we can or will do for the project unfortunately. I hope you understand the logistical nightmare here, haha.

But yes, bottom-line for those who may have the wrong idea; we have never stopped this Kickstarter from being run on-site, and we don't intend on stopping it either. Why some people believe we're out to stop the campaign entirely, I don't know, but I sincerely hope this isn't misleading from you because I can assure you, we have the evidence that this is not the case.

Beyblade General

Honestly, given how I joined the Committee after the decision was made, there's not much I can comment on for it's past. As I understand it, because of how it basically went over the history of Beigoma and Beyblade, and detailed the physics behind it, I'd imagine that's why it made it to Beyblade General.

I think this was fine until the thread became focused on Silver Shell. At that point, it wasn't really Beyblade anymore. It becomes the equivalent of having Battle Strikers or another spinning top franchise in Beyblade General; it's not right, not as intended and it's categorically wrong. Allowing this means we'd have to allow more things here.

To clarify on what you're claiming Kei is lying about; no, I didn't grant permission for the thread to be in Beyblade General. Yes, you did message me at one point asking about whether the new thread should go in Your Creations or Beyblade General, but I didn't read this message until after the thread was posted, which read receipts should back up. I unfortunately do have a large backlog of messages and this built up quite a bit over December, when I was focusing on development of our new theme and general holiday festivities. I also was receiving a lot of messages with addressses for prizes of previous giveaways, so as you can imagine, this got lost in the abyss that is my inbox, haha.

The correct place for the thread is Your Creations, not Beyblade General, and this is something the Committee all agreed on, and also came with understanding from other forum members who also thought it was appropriate. I mean heck, even projects like Manicben's MBG series is in the Your Creations section, and that is Beyblade related. It's literally where we want it. Silver Shell is your creation, and it's not Beyblade related either.

Kei has not messed anything up, and he wasn't acting independently at all. He was merely the one speaking for us as a collective. Negotiating that in PMs is also appropriate; we deal with warnings and matters like that privately to not kick up a fuss to the community. It's just a bother to everyone and ropes in people that don't even need to be involved, though you seem horribly insistent on doing it, hence the public reply now.

Please don't misunderstand and manipulate the answer you've received or the way you've received said answer.

The WBO Impact on Fundraising Totals

There's two factors to detail here; the impact of threads not being in Beyblade General, and the impact from the WBO overall.

To start with Beyblade General; you've actually been told privately that it's not even the best place to see threads. Our most visited page on the site is Latest Posts, which your thread appears on. It's literally front and center there on the list, and people can visit it. Funnily enough, if your thread and project is receiving the attention it deserves, it'll consistently end up high on the list on Latest Posts.

I recently spoke to some members off-site about how many people use individual forums, and whether they think the site would be any different if every thread came under one mega-forum. The answer was literally that some people don't bother looking at categories, and use Latest Posts for everything as it'll show everything new. If an answer like that from the very community you're trying to appeal to isn't enough, I don't know what is. "I am utterly confident no one else on the WBO believes there was anything wrong with posting the topic in the General section." - I think you should've researched this a bit more and asked around, rather than making assumptions.

To outline it; Beyblade General is not an indicator of success or a way to highlight specific threads. It doesn't provide extra attention these days, and I'd say you're more than welcome to go ask this very community rather than assuming. That's what I've done at least, and I've come to the answer that I thought was true based on our back-end statistics anyway.

Regarding WBO impact; I think you're severely overestimating the impact the WBO has on your Kickstarter. What are you expecting, half your campaign to be fulfilled? You're looking for what is essentially $10,000 USD, which I can tell you for sure, is above and beyond what you'll get here.

Being transparent, our fundraisers vary between $500-1000 when we do them. You're asking for 10-20x more than that from what I'd say is a smaller community these days. If you're relying on the WBO's community for the majority of that, I don't think you've looked into this enough. The WBO should never have been your main basis for this, you should've been speaking to our resident YouTubers, who I'm quite aware are now onboard to help you. If you wanted a basis of what to expect, you should've and could've spoken to us and asked how our fundraisers have worked, and we would happily have told you to help you set your expectations realistically.

The occurance with the thread has not destroyed your target audience. In fact, I'd say it hasn't changed a thing, and your blame is sorely misplaced. You've also moaned about how Kei's post had somewhat tarnished the thread before, but are you seriously trying to imply that your actions haven't done more? Had this been handled privately, your actions wouldn't affect this as much. But you've made this public with a multi-PM, and now you're making it public on your thread. If anything, I'd say you've ruined this more than we apparently have. I'd say you're manipulating people into believing we've taken different approaches than we actually have.

Overall

Overall...there's really nothing more to say. I think you've already exagerrated a lot of the impact and our input on things. There's a lot of things we've said or done that you're either misunderstanding or horribly manipulating to your audience. If you sincerely think we've destroyed your campaign because of the location of a thread and a polite in-thread message, I think you take a step back and look at the situation again. If you were so reliant on us, the campaign was never going to take off in the first place, I'll tell you that now.

As always, we're happy to discuss this further. My PMs are always open, and my mailbox is relatively empty at the moment, and any of the Committee are approachable and will speak on behalf of all of us as a collective.
Hey Beylon,

Kai-V and ~Mana~ have already covered a lot of the details pertaining to this whole situation, so there isn’t that much left for me to explain that hasn’t already been explained.

I empathize with you greatly because I understand how much of a passion project this clearly has been for you, and I sincerely do want to see it ultimately succeed because I do think that it is awesome (as I stated first thing in my reply when I originally moved your Kickstarter thread). However, as ~Mana~ mentioned and as I told you about privately before: the thread not being in Beyblade General really isn’t what would make or break your campaign, and I think you’re mistaken if you believe that to be the case. The Latest Posts page is really how most of us browse the site. And in any case, given what we know about our own past fundraisers, I unfortunately don't think it was realistic to expect to meet your original funding goal primarily via the WBO.

I understand that as a result of the issues with your Kickstarter that you must be frustrated, but I don’t think it is fair to twist things and try to place the blame on us in this case given the facts that have been outlined … The thread you made was not what ~Mana~ had granted permission to do, and it was also not related to Beyblade. So as a result, your new thread had to be moved to its natural place: the Your Creations forum. Your original blog thread had great information about the history of Beyblade which we felt was valuable, so we moved it to the Beyblade General forum despite the non-Beyblade content during a time when the forums were used more than Latest Posts (the redesign back in 2016 placed a much greater emphasis on the Latest Posts page, which is in turn what has led to more people using it). It’s really that simple.

I also believe that your characterization of my original post notifying you that the thread was being moved is unfair. I originally removed the post at your request when I merged your Kickstarter thread into this one, but I feel it needs to be brought back now for context:

Kei Wrote:Hey Beylon, this looks really awesome! I will definitely try to take a closer look soon.

However, for the moment I just wanted to let you know I've moved this to Your Creations. Your blog was fine to exist in the Beyblade General forum since it had components that directly talked about the history of Beyblade, but with this one it seems to be veering more directly into what should fall under "Your Creations".

I've also merged in the thread you made for the Australia forum since that should only be used for discussing the organization of official WBO Beyblade events. Sorry!

I’m not sure what about this was “brutal”, “scathing”, or “defamatory”. It was simply a stating of the facts and I even praised the project! Typically when I move threads I tend to post and say that they have been moved. In your case, I wanted to comment on the project and also felt additional explanation was needed so you understood the ‘why’ behind the move. It wasn’t meant to be a warning of any kind. Warnings are dealt with privately, but moderator notices typically are not. Real warnings also come with actual consequences in terms of suspensions, as is outlined in our Community Rules. This most certainly was not that!

However, I do apologize if for any reason it did come across in a “brutal” fashion for you. That was certainly not my intention. I was simply enforcing the organization of our forums based on their descriptions. For Beyblade General it’s “Discuss the latest Beyblade releases, battle strategies, and more!”, which doesn’t leave room for non-Beyblade content. Your original blog was in a bit of a grey area, but it had Beyblade content so we left it. The new Kickstarter thread did not.

All moderators on the forum have a responsibility to enforce the rules and organization of the forum to the best of their ability. That’s exactly what I was doing after discussing the situation with the Committee. It’s unfortunate that you misunderstood what ~Mana~ was originally granting you permission to do, but that seems to have been what the case was here.

I’m sincerely sorry for any confusion and hope that your re-launched Kickstarter is a success!
(Feb. 06, 2018  12:21 PM)Kai-V Wrote: Except that, Beylon, the reason Brad, me and anybody else allowed it to remain within the Beyblade General forum is 100% because of the great Beyblade history posts. If it had been a topic solely about your project, we literally have a history of keeping those threads inside the Your Creations forum.

I'm glad you liked the history. I was trying to show how Beyblades don't magically appear from some black hole in outer space but are instead the result of thousands of hours of hard work by real people, in real life. You know, just like the very project Formula Bei was made to document. I did originally post the blog in the Your Creations forum, as per the rules. I don't dispute the move but moving it to General was the mods/committee's choice. Do I suddenly have to stop posting about the core subject of the blog because my thread was moved?

(Feb. 06, 2018  4:10 PM)~Mana~ Wrote: I'll never stop apologising for how long the turnaround time has been on a fix for your blog thread.

To be clear for everyone, the technical glitch is an unfixable issue in the forum software. It was not caused by Mana. I keep emphasising the glitch itself to illustrate how necessary Mana's "new thread" workaround really was. He basically fixed the issue by letting me start a new thread. I see no wrong in that. If it was Mana's responsibility to fix the issue from the start - he essentially did.

(Feb. 06, 2018  4:10 PM)~Mana~ Wrote: I think you're horribly misunderstanding exactly what I was granting there.

The Kickstarter didn't exist when you granted me the permission. But Formula Bei has clearly always been about monetising a project where players build their own fighting tops. Every entry ends with that proviso. The many posts I made in the weeks preceding the Kickstarter made it crystal clear I was planning a Kickstarter campaign for the blog. Some examples:

(Dec. 31, 2017  12:32 PM)Beylon Wrote: Well it's been a wild ride, but I've got a whole hour left until midnight and I'm determined to get the very most out of my WBO login time. That means it's time to post something truly awesome. Yes, folks, there WILL be a Kickstarter, yes, there will be fighting tops and yes, I will ship to almost anywhere.

(Jan. 01, 2018  6:26 AM)Beylon Wrote: So let's be blunt, I'll be running a kickstarter for this in the near future - hopefully by the end of the month -  which means I have a huge amount of work to do in order to avoid actually losing money on this. So that means the open source component of this project has a priority level of approximately zero, bearing in mind how the original idea of "open source" has, as you have so clearly illustrated, become a bit of a "closed loop" of pseudo-legalities which only tenuously hold any weight in Australia, where I am based, anyway. Put simply, no matter how "open source" I make it right now, there's still nothing officially stopping me from lawyer-punching a pirate.

I get it, you don't read the blog. That's why I PM'd you specifically to check where the new thread should be posted. But it was already obvious the new thread should be in the General section, because that's where the old thread was. That's just obvious. You never got back to me about it and I know you're busy so I figured you had already said what you meant. It was very clear first time around.

Nobody is going to read that quote and think you didn't tell me to start a new thread. Nobody is going to read Formula Bei and think the Kickstarter was out of place - thematically or chronologically. It was obviously going to be the next thing I posted. I was working up to it publically for weeks. I was totally transparent about it. I blind-coded the entire OP over New Years precisely so we could lock this broken thread and move on when the new one began - just like you wanted.

There is no misunderstanding here. You told me to start a new thread. I did. If you wanted something else, why didn't you say so?

(Feb. 06, 2018  4:10 PM)~Mana~ Wrote: As you can imagine, it's a situation we haven't had to face before. We hadn't considered our stance on something like this until you posted yours.

We all appreciate that you didn't like the new thread. But you're trying to make it look like I'm twisting your words and doing something I wasn't supposed to - when in fact I was only doing exactly what you told me to do.

I've quoted the permission. There's no dressing that up.

When I first discussed this with Kei via PM, it was clear he had no idea this permission had been granted. He gave no weight to my suggestion that it had. I had to prove it. And I did. And now he calls this a "misunderstanding" on my part. It seems to me the only misunderstanding here is between the Committee. As it stands, I'm clearly allowed to talk about my Kickstarter on my own blog - but now I'm not allowed to start a new thread for the blog like you suggested?

If I had posted the Kickstarter in the original Formula Bei thread to begin with, I doubt you would have blinked. You probably wouldn't even have seen it to begin with - which is kind of the whole point. I had permission to continue the blog in a new thread - you just changed your mind when you saw how I was continuing it. But you really should have known, guys. I've been posting about this for weeks.

(Feb. 06, 2018  4:10 PM)~Mana~ Wrote: Regarding WBO impact; I think you're severely overestimating the impact the WBO has on your Kickstarter. What are you expecting, half your campaign to be fulfilled? You're looking for what is essentially $10,000 USD, which I can tell you for sure, is above and beyond what you'll get here.

I'll address this. The funding goal included annoying stuff like postage and taxes, meaning the total pledge amount was actually closer to US$6500-7500. In practice that means I projected about 60 backers from the WBO channel. Not 60 members. 60 backers. That's you, your friends, your family and your entire extended social network and anyone who overhears your conversation IRL or online. Not really comparable with a WBO fundraiser. Depending on the popularity of the pledges, that number could have risen to about 120 or fallen to about 30 and still been fine. Unsurprisingly to me, the numbers as they stood suggested 60 was on target. We were on track to make 150% of that. But the benefit of the WBO thread was also to do with factors beyond raw pledges, such as increased traffic - plenty of members were visiting the Kickstarter page without pledging, which ultimately helps the project stand out in searches and lists. All those numbers died completely, immediately after the interrupt. Even if every other channel had delivered, the kind of drop we witnessed here was total and fatal.

Any Kickstarter is hard and fraught with risk - but it's unfair to assume I haven't done the numbers here. I can only determine the effect of the interrupt by comparing the traffic and sources compared to pledges over time. I've done that. It's not subjective. The drop-off is obvious. Suggesting otherwise just depicts me as whining about nothing - which is frankly not the way you want to go here. You'll notice I've waited long enough to ensure the numbers I was seeing were real (and not due to some random earthquake or snowstorm in New York).

I also think you're not giving the WBO community enough credit.

(Feb. 06, 2018  8:29 PM)Kei Wrote: I also believe that your characterization of my original post notifying you that the thread was being moved is unfair.

I'm glad you posted this again, I wasn't able to secure a copy on the road. The problem here Kei is that your message did indeed have a brutal and scathing effect on me, on the campaign and on everyone who might otherwise have participated in the thread - because it stuck a colossal white elephant in the room which nobody could ignore. I suppose you didn't notice how active interest in the thread immediately died? Was that due to it being moved or due to your message? Or perhaps both?

I understand these measurements can only be made over a short period of time (a number of days) but frankly, that's enough. Surely you must realise that when one of the Committee comes into a thread and essentially shuts it down (yes, that's really the effect of what you were doing) the membership very understandably steers clear of the blast radius. That's just the way people work. Your posts carry significant weight in an area of the internet where you are considered "the boss" and when you makes those posts, you affect real people. Not just me; everyone reading the thread.

I'm okay bringing this up here because I'm able to measure how it's already too late. The damage is done. I've reworked the campaign (and it's goal) to focus elsewhere. But I'm still heartbroken by how I even needed to do this in the first place. You cannot reasonably argue that my following a Committee suggestion was breaking the rules.

(Feb. 06, 2018  8:29 PM)Kei Wrote: All moderators on the forum have a responsibility to enforce the rules and organization of the forum to the best of their ability. That’s exactly what I was doing after discussing the situation with the Committee.

So what about starting the new thread? That was Mana's suggestion. It was a good one. I followed it. Meanwhile, Formula Bei is still broken. Seems to me Mana's fix would still solve this issue. If you seriously can't see that the Kickstarter was just part of the blog, then... Come on.

(Feb. 06, 2018  8:29 PM)Kei Wrote: It’s unfortunate that you misunderstood what ~Mana~ was originally granting you permission to do, but that seems to have been what the case was here.

There was no misunderstanding on my part. I made a new thread for the blog, as suggested by the Committee. I publically gave plenty of advance notice of what was going to happen, you had weeks to take action if you felt the idea was inappropriate. You've all made it very clear here that I actually needed no permission to run a Kickstarter through my blog. In fact, you even merged the Kickstarter with the broken blog thread, as if to confirm that the blog is where the Kickstarter belongs - better than nothing if not too late all the same, but the permission I was granted was to start a new thread for the blog, which is exactly what I did. And exactly what I still need, by the way.

Suggesting I did something other than that is defamatory and I don't accept it. I don't think there's any room to insist you still reasonably believe this was my fault.

You should have checked the very clear explanations and links I sent you by PM and in the thread itself, you should have checked my recent blog posts just as I said you should in the new thread, you should have communicated the facts with each other before you made the decision and maybe, just maybe, you should have thought twice about taking that course of action without warning right when you knew how damaging it would be for me. There are a dozen reasonable things you could and should have done to prevent this entire issue from happening. But you didn't do any of them.

You dropped the ball, guys.

If you're even remotely disposed to getting back on board and helping the community with this campaign, do us all a favour and visit the new Kickstarter page on Friday. Just visiting the page helps drive traffic - you don't even have to pledge for that to work. That's about all I have for now.
[Large quote removed]

Oh no, what have I done, Beylon you sent me the pm that was meant for Kai and I didn't tell you. I'm really sorry. Now that that's out there, let's all sit down and converse in a calm, fashionable manner
@[Beylon] Did you ever consider using social media to advertise instead of hedging all of your bets on a forum with a limited audiance? Posting on about it on WBO makes sense considering it originated here and is tangentially related to Beyblade, but making a Twitter, Tumblr, or Facebook page and asking everyone to share the Kickstarter from those sites would probably catch a wider audiance than just WBO...

I must say, I'm not terribly impressed with how you're making a scene out of the issues brought on here though. I definitly think the communication on the Committee's part could be called into question, but making a scene by tagging a bunch of people in a PM to Kei and now what's going on here quite frankly looks bad. I will still support Silver Shell, but by doing what you've done you're coming off as unprofessional to a lot of people and that has probably done more to damage your reputation than anyone on the Committee could have.
@[K1D], your quotes are too big, please avoid doing that in the future.