[Formula Bei] SILVER SHELL: KICKSTARTER - Final Hours!

That looks so dangerous. Speechless How do you play? In terms of launchers and stadiums.
Wow I've been waiting for this for a while its good to see someone with a mind like my own put this great idea into action!
(Jul. 21, 2016  12:08 PM)Alta Wrote: This is something I've wanted for a long time, a completely new metagame based on Beyblade/Beigoma, but with higher quality parts engineered similarly to professional equipment that you would see in any serious sport, something more than what TT has to offer in quality and weight, but with more aggressive and exotic designs than traditional Beigoma. I hope you can expand upon this, Beylon, because even if I never do anything like this myself one day, I would certainly support your efforts. I would be very interested to see how classic attack rings would perform when redesigned out of metal and paired with perfectly balanced support parts.

The obvious question this raises is, were the resulting "sport" to become a parts making free for all, would it simply devolve back into beigoma or would the extended contact time shoving attacks of some of these actually make Warshell part designs the more viable option?

I'm doing a number of these "showroom" images as a kind of "museum" for all the shells I've built so far. This is a stamina design called "Crowne". The knubs on top bash the enemy when the shell takes a big hit or starts to fall over. The effect in practice is insane.

(Jul. 21, 2016  12:08 PM)Alta Wrote: This is something I've wanted for a long time, a completely new metagame based on Beyblade/Beigoma, but with higher quality parts engineered similarly to professional equipment that you would see in any serious sport.

I am really glad to hear this, so thanks for sharing. All the WarShell components I have actually produced (so far) are made of stainless steel, bamboo and brass. If popularity grows, there will also be titanium and carbon fibre versions of existing components - though these will be limited editions which will only eventuate if demand is sufficient.

(Jul. 21, 2016  12:08 PM)Alta Wrote: I hope you can expand upon this, Beylon, because even if I never do anything like this myself one day, I would certainly support your efforts. I would be very interested to see how classic attack rings would perform when redesigned out of metal and paired with perfectly balanced support parts.

I have produced approximately one hundred parts-variations so far. I expect you'll be able to purchase them eventually. As for metal versions of the original Beyblade toys, check out Lowen93's original development thread.

(Jul. 21, 2016  2:46 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: How do you play? In terms of launchers and stadiums.

My prototypes use MFB launchers - but you can theoretically use whatever you want. I'm trying to produce a shallow stainless steel stadium, 30cm diameter with a gently undulating surface (with the lowest point at the centre) and no walls (tornado ridge only).

I'll release the actual rules soon - but I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible without the "endless design" metagame ruining the fun. Shell design is regulated by weight (max 75gm total). Otherwise it is not hugely different from Beyblade.

(Jul. 21, 2016  11:38 PM)KingAsh Wrote: Wow I've been waiting for this for a while its good to see someone with a mind like my own put this great idea into action!

Thanks, I hope I can produce something you'll enjoy. We need more like-minded dudes in the world.

(Jul. 22, 2016  12:03 AM)Dracomageat Wrote: The obvious question this raises is, were the resulting "sport" to become a parts making free for all, would it simply devolve back into beigoma or would the extended contact time shoving attacks of some of these actually make Warshell part designs the more viable option?

Testing WarShell in 2014 revealed that while players all enjoyed the WarShell rules, almost nobody actually built their own shells from scratch - and I know from experience that it is just REALLY difficult to build something that spins well. Obviously then, the next step was to create a system which solved this issue forever. Now everyone can build their own shells quickly and easily. The WarShell assembly system is intuitive, open-source, and doesn't require any crazy tools or skills - so building these tiny fighting machines has never been easier.

Honestly, I hope other people start producing their own parts to compete with me. I mean sure, I want to sell some awesome fighting top gear... But what I really want more than anything is to nurture a culture where people can buy and trade parts of ALL kinds to build and fight with each other as their imagination and ability desires.

This one only weighs 50 grams, but it's still cool. The "teeth" come to a 0.5 milimetre point, which about the limit before things start to get weird. Half a millimetre of 304 grade stainless steel is sufficient to prevent breakages at these weights (up to 75gm) and these speeds (up to 25,000rpm).

Have you designed launchers for your shells yet?
Yes. A similar mechanism to those used by TheMechanicPapa. But for now, I plan to just make cross-compatible parts so that shells can run on Takara-Tomy launchers of various kinds.
Having high quality materials and the speed of MechanicPapa style shooters sounds perfect. It would be a dream to have a metal Dranzer S or GT going at 20,000 RPM.

The only thing I would do with a system like this is create Blade Bases that can house compact electric motors, similar to RC Beyblades, but with more power and finer tuned control, having a simple left & right motor connected to the tip of every blade provides surprising amounts of control and strategy, there would finally be true involvement during a fight and it wouldn't be with oversized gimmick blades. RC components in Beyblades always seemed like an untouched potential to me, if they were standard in every blade it would completely change the game.
RC has been an idea that ive been thinking about for a long time. Along with Beylon's customization I feel it could create a whole new challenge as a player. Trying to design your warshell to have strong attack points and using RC as a method of controling the shell you designed would make it so that you would actually have to practice and think about your design choices which is good. Oh and Beylon, have you thought about starting a kickstarter campaign?
(Jul. 26, 2016  4:03 AM)Alta Wrote: Having high quality materials and the speed of MechanicPapa style shooters sounds perfect. It would be a dream to have a metal Dranzer S or GT going at 20,000 RPM.

I'm not opposed to making high-performance exotic versions of existing Beyblades and I'd be totally fine with producing parts to this end, if you want. But I'd be more inclined to do this on a commission basis or maybe for limited-edition runs. I have a Lowen93 Driger G and Dranzer F which I am very fond of, so I understand the appeal.

(Jul. 26, 2016  4:03 AM)Alta Wrote: The only thing I would do with a system like this is create Blade Bases that can house compact electric motors, similar to RC Beyblades, but with more power and finer tuned control, having a simple left & right motor connected to the tip of every blade provides surprising amounts of control and strategy, there would finally be true involvement during a fight and it wouldn't be with oversized gimmick blades. RC components in Beyblades always seemed like an untouched potential to me, if they were standard in every blade it would completely change the game.

(Jul. 26, 2016  6:21 PM)KingAsh Wrote: RC has been an idea that ive been thinking about for a long time. Along with Beylon's customization I feel it could create a whole new challenge as a player. Trying to design your warshell to have strong attack points and using RC as a method of controling the shell you designed would make it so that you would actually have to practice and think about your design choices which is good. Oh and Beylon, have you thought about starting a kickstarter campaign?

Totally agree with these sentiments. The Hasbro RC Beyblades were amazing in their technical design. The system itself was obviously ruined by the whole "run out of power" gimmick but would otherwise be, second to none, the best incarnation of miniature robot-fighting in history. But that's what you'd get: robot-fighting. Is this really what you want from your Beyblade battles?

(Jul. 26, 2016  6:21 PM)KingAsh Wrote: Oh and Beylon, have you thought about starting a kickstarter campaign?

Seems like a pretty good idea. How do you feel about it?
Kickstarter would be a great way to fund your project and spread the word. The only thing I would be worried about is that people could steal your ideas. But I'm sure kickstarter has some kind of protection for their users. Even if they do, I wouldn't show all of my plans in the promo images or video that you would have to make.
(Jul. 27, 2016  12:25 PM)Beylon Wrote:
(Jul. 26, 2016  4:03 AM)Alta Wrote: Having high quality materials and the speed of MechanicPapa style shooters sounds perfect. It would be a dream to have a metal Dranzer S or GT going at 20,000 RPM.
I'm not opposed to making high-performance exotic versions of existing Beyblades and I'd be totally fine with producing parts to this end, if you want. But I'd be more inclined to do this on a commission basis or maybe for limited-edition runs. I have a Lowen93 Driger G and Dranzer F which I am very fond of, so I understand the appeal.

Rather than reproducing existing beyblades, I'd be more inclined to look at those that didn't make it into reality. Drac Attack and Berzerker Byakko spring to mind.
(Jul. 27, 2016  2:49 PM)KingAsh Wrote: Kickstarter would be a great way to fund your project and spread the word. The only thing I would be worried about is that people could steal your ideas.

I see what you mean, but WarShell is open-source and I expect it to remain open-source. I actually hope people will make their own compatible parts, which I can then buy and use in my own shells. They'd have to work pretty hard to produce parts to the same standard as mine, but I certainly hope someone gives it a go.

That said, I know from years of experience that is is really difficult to design and produce quality parts like this. So I certainly don't expect everyone to make their own parts and I will do my very best to create all the parts that everybody actually wants.

(Jul. 27, 2016  5:42 PM)Dracomageat Wrote: Rather than reproducing existing beyblades, I'd be more inclined to look at those that didn't make it into reality. Drac Attack and Berzerker Byakko spring to mind.

This is fine too. Good idea.
That's cool that you would make it open source. Do you have premade parts that people could buy to get themselves started though?
(Jul. 28, 2016  4:26 AM)KingAsh Wrote: Do you have premade parts that people could buy to get themselves started though?

Definately! The pictures I've posted so far are all shells made with actual WarShell parts and which you will be able to buy for yourself, from me. I recommend buying your WarShell parts from a reputable blademaker like myself - the prices I offer will make it more efficient for you (or anyone) to buy rather than start from scratch.

However, I am not sure exactly how to sell the parts... I'm thinking "packs" based around a visual theme, as well as packs based on a particular component type, and finally packs based on a whole shell design (a fully working shell with instructions). I want to make it easy for people to build what they imagine - think of something, then buy the parts to make it happen!

The WarShell parts I've made so far are categorised thus:

• TEETH - the thick hitting blades

• CHAIN - "inner" and "outer" chain being the two circular sets of holes

• PLATE - armour bridging inner and outer chains

• LATCH - part for adapting to launchers, comes in many forms

• LOCK - connects chains and plates to the shank

• SHANK - the central core (face bolt) of the blade, providing vertical structure

• SPROCKET - a circular component connecting only to the shank

• GRIP - the "tip" of the shell used to grip the surface and provide traction

So I've prototyped all these things and they work great! I have hundreds of prototype parts ready to sell right now, but I just wanted to show them all off first. You know... Get some feedback, see what people think.

There is also a part I have not listed above called an "engine" which I have not perfected yet. An engine is basically an "engine gear" but covers a huge range of engine types and complex mechanisms which cannot be classified any other way. For example, the engine I've focussed on so far is a miniature steam engine - which runs on compressed air. I do not plan to release engines right now though - they cost quite a bit to source the parts and I cannot get the weight down far enough to make their use fair. The prototype engine I have weighs about 95 grams. It needs to weigh about 60 grams. Grumble.

Here's a shot from my workshop: see the BC01 JAWS blade made by Lowen93 in the background.

(Jul. 27, 2016  12:25 PM)Beylon Wrote: I'm not opposed to making high-performance exotic versions of existing Beyblades and I'd be totally fine with producing parts to this end, if you want. But I'd be more inclined to do this on a commission basis or maybe for limited-edition runs. I have a Lowen93 Driger G and Dranzer F which I am very fond of, so I understand the appeal.

When I get a steadier income and I get the money for it, I will certainly commission you or Lowen93 if either of you are up to it. I'm very interested in one day having a fully metal Dranzer S.

(Jul. 27, 2016  12:25 PM)Beylon Wrote: Totally agree with these sentiments. The Hasbro RC Beyblades were amazing in their technical design. The system itself was obviously ruined by the whole "run out of power" gimmick but would otherwise be, second to none, the best incarnation of miniature robot-fighting in history. But that's what you'd get: robot-fighting. Is this really what you want from your Beyblade battles?

I can see a proper separation between the traditional skill of fighting tops and the technical strategy of using motor controlled builds, but I believe having that control adds a lot of intention to a fight, it marks a far clearer line between the skilled and unskilled, when you give each blader that much control it becomes something you really have to put the effort into in order to come out the victor.

(Jul. 28, 2016  10:36 AM)Beylon Wrote: I'm thinking "packs" based around a visual theme, as well as packs based on a particular component type, and finally packs based on a whole shell design (a fully working shell with instructions). I want to make it easy for people to build what they imagine - think of something, then buy the parts to make it happen!

This seems like the most effective way to do it.
(Jul. 29, 2016  2:21 AM)Alta Wrote: I can see a proper separation between the traditional skill of fighting tops and the technical strategy of using motor controlled builds, but I believe having that control adds a lot of intention to a fight, it marks a far clearer line between the skilled and unskilled, when you give each blader that much control it becomes something you really have to put the effort into in order to come out the victor.

Allows access to much larger stadiums too. A competetive remote-controlled format certainly deserves more discussion. As it stands right now, I can make metal casings for the existing RC Beyblades but I have no idea how I'd overcome the inbuilt "power-down" function in those toys. Plus, the existing RC tops run on expendable batteries and I'd much rather see rechargeable batteries.

In other news, this picture is a fairly good look at "everyday" in the workshop. I've been thinking about how I should market the idea of a hyper-performance beigoma system. Obviously I'm flipping back and forth between "sleek sportscar advertisement" and "traditional craftworks kits" but I cannot decide which is better...

Any thoughts on the style of the images?
(Aug. 03, 2016  10:03 AM)Beylon Wrote: In other news, this picture is a fairly good look at "everyday" in the workshop. I've been thinking about how I should market the idea of a hyper-performance beigoma system. Obviously I'm flipping back and forth between "sleek sportscar advertisement" and "traditional craftworks kits" but I cannot decide which is better...

Any thoughts on the style of the images?

I guess it depends on the type of customers your want to present it to but my personal oppinion is that you should go with "sleekier" design as it by defauld highlights hyper-performance and could spark an interest across wider range of potentional cutomers/users.
Not to mention that promising something exceptonal grabs everyone's attention (it has to be mysterious/scarce wit informaton) in order to make customer dream about the potential possibilities produst may offer.

Take a look at any Coro-Coro beyblade intoduction. Every aspect of the design is exagarated to the point it almost looks like toy for adults. Flashy pictures and over the top explanation beyblade desing features. It amost lures you deeper into the whole "Beyblade universe".

Regarding the Warshells system as a whole it's nice to see someone taking the beyblade idea further. I guess it is currently closest thing to a dream many of the "veterans" had when they were in late stages of the Beyblade franchise.

My dream is CO2 powered (turbine) launcher. Imagine HMS grip that can be loaded with CO2 cartridge. Just press the trigger, rev it up to the maximum RPM and launch the blade as soon as you release the trigger. *-)
Marketing WarShell as sleek and shiny would create a feeling of power and mystery in the consumer while marketing WarShell as personal and complex would attract a more hands on demographic of people. People who respond more to the personal and handcrafted marketing approach would be more likely to put effort into their designs. But on the other hand people that respond to the "sportscar advertisement" [that is a cool way of looking at that type of marketing] would feel proud to own a shell, and would treat it like a showpiece.

If you ask me, I would try to blend the two strategies and promote Warshell as a luxury item. I would put a lot of emphasis on customization and would make the consumer feel that they are in control. But, I would also make sure that the people know that WarShell is a hyper-performance system. The one thing I would make certain of is that the consumers are well aware of the age group you are marketing this to.
Have you ever posted battle videos? Would love to see how it plays.
(Aug. 03, 2016  2:31 PM)model850 Wrote: I guess it depends on the type of customers your want to present it to but my personal oppinion is that you should go with "sleekier" design as it by defauld highlights hyper-performance and could spark an interest across wider range of potentional cutomers/users.
Not to mention that promising something exceptonal grabs everyone's attention (it has to be mysterious (unfinished) in order to make customer dream about the potential possibilities produst may offer).

Take a look at any Coro-Coro beyblade intoduction. Every aspect of the design is exagarated to the point it almost looks like toy for adults. Flashy pictures and over the top explanation beyblade desing features. It amost lures you deeper into the whole "Beyblade universe".

Yeah, I take your meaning. When I see other products marketed this way (including Beyblades) I am personally attracted more than I would be otherwise. Stuff like UGears on kickstarter throws a spanner in the works of my understanding though. Maybe I'm just procrastinating? Also, having revisited google, I cannot actually find any of the old CoroCoro videos. Help?

Here are some of my test shots of previous prototypes and Lowen93 Silver Tops from earlier in the year, to see where this style came from:

(Aug. 03, 2016  2:31 PM)model850 Wrote: My dreams is CO2 powered (turbine) launcher. Imagine HMS grip that can be loaded with CO2 cartridge. Just press the trigger, rev it up to the maximum RPM and launch the blade as soon as you release the trigger. *-)

I'll look into this. The "engine" I've been working on uses compressed air, which is basically the same thing, but allows you to refill the tank with a bicycle pump (instead of buying new cartidges all the time). Obviously a shell using an engine does not need a launcher - but the technology is basically the same. I like the idea of "pumping up" the launcher. Clearly ideas like this are cost-prohibitive but they're not impossible and can theoretically be done by commission.

(Aug. 03, 2016  7:49 PM)KingAsh Wrote: Marketing WarShell as sleek and shiny would create a feeling of power and mystery in the consumer while marketing WarShell as personal and complex would attract a more hands on demographic of people. People who respond more to the personal and handcrafted marketing approach would be more likely to put effort into their designs. But on the other hand people that respond to the "sportscar advertisement" [that is a cool way of looking at that type of marketing] would feel proud to own a shell, and would treat it like a showpiece.

If you ask me, I would try to blend the two strategies and promote Warshell as a luxury item. I would put a lot of emphasis on customization and would make the consumer feel that they are in control. But, I would also make sure that the people know that WarShell is a hyper-performance system. The one thing I would make certain of is that the consumers are well aware of the age group you are marketing this to.

All good points. WarShell as a "luxury item" is an interesting idea. The market for luxury spinning tops is stupid-hot right now (with kickstarters typically raising between $20k and $200k) but for tops which are designed to smash into each other... I just wonder if this is what the luxury market really wants. Those guys will buy tops in the $250 price range (which I hope I never hit with WarShell) and I imagine the tops just sit on the shelf forever (which I also hope does not happen). I've seen the yoyo market do quite well in this respect - but being "stylish" for those guys is also part of the natural "showing off" of that sport. I need to grind over this idea a bit more!

(Aug. 03, 2016  9:17 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: Have you ever posted battle videos? Would love to see how it plays.

It's a logistical issue right now; the way I live requires me to move around almost constantly, without a base, so it's difficult to setup a studio environment for proper shooting. Pictures are easy because... Photoshop. Video is much harder to make look good without a proper setup. That said, there will be videos (hopefully many) in the future. You guys just get the sneek peeks because this is the WBO.
(Aug. 04, 2016  1:16 AM)Beylon Wrote: I'll look into this. The "engine" I've been working on uses compressed air, which is basically the same thing, but allows you to refill the tank with a bicycle pump (instead of buying new cartidges all the time). Obviously a shell using an engine does not need a launcher - but the technology is basically the same. I like the idea of "pumping up" the launcher. Clearly ideas like this are cost-prohibitive but they're not impossible and can theoretically be done by commission.

That would be nice to see. Grin As a kid I had couple of "AirHogs" aeroplanes powered by pneumatic piston engines. You just had to pump up the air tank and let them fly. Had lots of fun with them. *-)

Hopefully pressure in the system will be sufficient to produce decent amount of power. Although CO2 cartiges are not cost effective they pack a lot of punch (850 psi or 55+ bar) and are relatively safe to use. Air turbines on the other hand need high airflow in order to operate efficiently.

Regarding the previous subject. What I failed to mention is the fact that modders always spontaneously emerge what ever the game in question. There will always be a small community of people trying to push the game to it's limits. You may try to advertise this product directly to them but in the end game as a whole will probably be limited to small number of people. Advertise the game to wider audience and it just may be popular enought to develop into different directions to form communities interested strictly in battle, modding, collecting and so on.

For example take a look at LEGO product line (one of my few passions). They are trying to cover wide range of age groups (from small kids to the adolescents). Emphasis is always on the fun product of high quality. Every year they try to push the products even further making them more and more complex.
On the consumer side of the "game" there are numerus comunities pushing evey aspect of the prduct to its limits. People of all age groups investing ridiculous amount of time (and money) in development of models that LEGO will probably never be able to produce because of their sheer size and complexity.
(Aug. 04, 2016  7:18 AM)model850 Wrote: That would be nice to see. Grin As a kid I had couple of "AirHogs" aeroplanes powered by pneumatic piston engines. You just had to pump up the air tank and let them fly. Had lots of fun with them. Hopefully pressure in the system will be sufficient to produce decent amount of power. Although CO2 cartiges are not cost effective they pack a lot of punch (850 psi or 55+ bar) and are relatively safe to use. Air turbines on the other hand need high airflow in order to operate efficiently.

The Air Hogs "R.A.I.D" compressed-air engine (Revolutionary Air Intake Design) is one of the very few engines of its kind outside of Japan. The trouble with air engines is usually three-fold. First, they are mostly fragile plastic: which makes sense because they're usually for autonomous model aerocraft, which need to be lightweight in order to fly. Second, they are usually designed with unnecessarily huge (and vulnerable) air tanks, as big as your fore-arm. Third, they only really need to displace air - whereas shells need to smash into solid metal blades travelling at up to 200kph... And keep spinning.

Below is a disappointingly cryptic picture of my version (unassembled). The engine itself (46gm) is made by Microcosm. The tank (43gm) holds 8gm of air at 150psi and is made by PPS, who is the only company in the world to make a reusable tank of this size. Note the native bamboo WarShell parts - one of the many ways I have tried to reduce the total weight of the engine (and also a good size comparison). Clearly, this engine is built for combat and is made from brass and stainltess steel, rather than plastic.

Obviously a spinning top with one of these is not going to spin on its tip for very long. But that's the whole point - it does not have to. The rotation of the engine creates vibrations which cause the circular shell to roll around on its edge like a wheel (life after death) for up to 3 minutes. Obviously this is just a prototype - all the parts are WarShell compatible but it weighs far more than the maximum WarShell weight of 75gm and will not likely see the light of day.

So obviously I've been focussing on the shells and not the launchers. 8gm of air at 150psi would not be enough to power a launcher, so I'd have to consider it further (as in, how one would actually build/buy the engine). Anyway, as much as I want little steam-powered combat robots running all over the place, this isn't really what I hope to achieve with the first round of WarShell. Cool though, right?

(Aug. 04, 2016  7:18 AM)model850 Wrote: Regarding the previous subject. What I failed to mention is the fact that modders always spontaneously emerge what ever the game in question. There will always be a small community of people trying to push the game to it's limits. You may try to advertise this product directly to them but in the end game as a whole will probably be limited to small number of people. Advertise the game to wider audience and it just may be popular enought to develop into different directions to form communities interested strictly in battle, modding, collecting and so on.

I take your point. And you're probably right. So far my hunch has told me WarShell is just the niche modding aspect of the Beyblade community - and unlikely to get much more moddy than this. But I guess it's better to aim high.
Nice to see you actually did some problem solving and research on air engine subject. That engine is really small but I'm not so sure if it's the proper solution as the piston engines by default produce high vibrations but are "fuel" effiient. Uncertain Turbines on the other hand are vibration free but that air tank may not be enough to produce any usable power at all due to its small capacity. As far as brainstorming the idea goes my first suggestion would be small Tesla turbine. This is probably simplest of all engines and could be "easely" protoyped for a test run.

Even if you don't succeed in producing WarShell with "exotic" air engine I believe "basic" version will be equally impressive. I really hope idea gets far beyond prototype stage. Grin
(Aug. 05, 2016  8:53 PM)model850 Wrote: As far as brainstorming the idea goes y first suggestion would be small Tesla turbine. This is probably simplest of all engines and could be "easely" protoyped for a test run.

A tesla turbine would be ideal for a launcher because you could use a much larger air tank - or even an actual compressor. I have not decided if WarShell launchers must necessarily be "human powered" yet, but all the launchers I have designed are "string-and-spring" based, like in Beyblade. Needs more attention.

A turbine in the shell itself is tricky because of torque. Far as I can tell, the "steam" engines create significantly more torque than the turbines because the turbines rely on a lack of friction - while the steam engines are specifically designed to overcome this friction by throttling the pressure-release from the tank. The closest comparison I can think of to explain this issue is: a clock, slowly ticking away, versus a loose spring, that just explodes all its energy at once. The steam engine is the clock. Releasing just a small amount of energy for each "tick" means the engine can run for longer, with greater torque, on a smaller tank - where a turbine would just blast all the air out in one go.

Loving this conversation, by the way.