Forensic Debate Thread [READ OP BEFORE POSTING]

This thread is for debate. Yes, debate, but not yelling at each other until some mod cheerfully closes the thread. I mean as in official Forensic Debate Competitions. I participate in Junior Varsity LD Debate in the LIFA (Long Island Forensics Association) league. This thread is a place to discuss your resolutions, contentions, rebuttals, statistics, etc.

Right now, the resolution for November/December is : "Individuals have a moral obligation to assist people in need."

The idea for Lincoln-Douglas (LD) Debate is to write cases arguing both sides of the resolution, and to use those cases to debate other kids from other schools. It's a great way to make new friends and looks good on your college transcript.

So anyone out there who participates in similar competitions? (I know people do, because I've been to collegiate tournaments and there are people from all over the USA at some of these. Plus, there is also a States and Nationals tournament.) Please discuss! The debate season has just started after all!
So do you just want to know who participates in debates ? Because if this topic is for debates, they will most likely end up infringing one of our rules.
Isn't the rules on political topics or sensitive subjects a little stricter than that?
I loooooooovvvveee Debating Tongue_out I don't think there's a debate team at my school, but if there was, I'd join in a heartbeat. I can usually think of comebacks to my own arguments fairly quickly, but that's as far as I can go. I'll know what they might say, but not how to counter it Lips_sealed This also mean I can think of comebacks to other opponent's statements too, so that's pretty useful.

I usually take the lesser supported side, just for the challenge, and so I know what the opponent might say.
(Sep. 28, 2011  2:11 AM)Kai-V Wrote: So do you just want to know who participates in debates ? Because if this topic is for debates, they will most likely end up infringing one of our rules.

Both who participates, and your ideas/opinions on how to write better cases or attack others. Not the political side of things.

For example, Noodoo just talked about how she was good at coming up with statements that undermine other cases, and she often plans out how an opponent would counter her ideas before saying whatever she wants to say. That's what this thread is about.
Debating is fun! We have a politics club at my school which gets to face other schools in debating I think. Here's how I advertise it: If you like to compete but not athletic, come and join the politics club and debate!
(Sep. 28, 2011  9:40 PM)Cookies^^ Wrote: Debating is fun! We have a politics club at my school which gets to face other schools in debating I think. Here's how I advertise it: If you like to compete but not athletic, come and join the politics club and debate!
And then there's that club, whose name spells it out -.-

I like debating, but have no plans whatsoever of becoming a lawyer. I frankly don't enjoy the feeling of being responsible for someone whom I barely know. On the other hand, I always object to ideas that people try to force on me and I use proof to back up my reasoning. My science teacher says its something I really should go after (And so does my dad), but I'm not all that interested.
I actually wanted to be a lawyer at one point in my life, hah Joyful_3 But then I realized that while I do love debating, it just wasn't my calling.
I want to be a doctor. I'm still on my debate team anyways. It's very fun! My first tournament as a JV debater is this Saturday actually. It's extremely fun to debate, especially when you can show your skills to the judges and confound opponents in doing so.
I have always loved to debate but I never wanted to take it to the next level by joining a debate team, But I still like to do it for fun. So are you going to post a topic and we will debate or are not allowed to do that because of the wbo's rules.
I did forensics in high school including some debate, but gravitated more towards the impromptu category. That way I didn't have to prepare much... Smile
Debating is my life. Smile I get into tons of arguments on a daily basis, and I want to be a lawyer later in life. Some friends and I are trying to put together a debate team, but methinks it's falling apart pretty quickly. Unhappy
(Sep. 28, 2011  11:51 PM)drakio Wrote: I have always loved to debate but I never wanted to take it to the next level by joining a debate team, But I still like to do it for fun. So are you going to post a topic and we will debate or are not allowed to do that because of the wbo's rules.

Bingo.
Arupaeo, so you did do actual forensic debate? Nice! You preferred the Extemp category more however? That's cool.
(Sep. 29, 2011  1:24 AM)GaHooleone Wrote:
(Sep. 28, 2011  11:51 PM)drakio Wrote: I have always loved to debate but I never wanted to take it to the next level by joining a debate team, But I still like to do it for fun. So are you going to post a topic and we will debate or are not allowed to do that because of the wbo's rules.

Bingo.
Arupaeo, so you did do actual forensic debate? Nice! You preferred the Extemp category more however? That's cool.

I surely did. I've always been a huge reader, and in addition to sci-fi/fantasy books I read the paper and newsweek and stuff like that - so I was always already prepared for virtually any current events topic. I was also a pretty good writer (still am) and was well versed in the standard 5 paragraph, 3 point theses mode of writing and thinking - so organizing a speech quickly was pretty easy for me too.

I was also involved in Odyssey of the Mind in high school, and Academic Games in middle school (equations, on-sets, linguishtik, etc.)

To try and balance out the nerd factor I also played varsity soccer, hockey and tennis (well, I actually liked all those things too).

What do you like most about debate, the practice with your team, the competition, or something else?
I joined my high schools debating last year. We got all the way to the semi-finals and I still thought that we did win that last debate. This year was a bit of a downer though. The email to the organiser didn't get through for some reason and we missed the first round. We one our first debate this year but the second one we lost (probably because I wasn't on the team during that debate Tongue_out) and then we had a bye. And to sum things up the last debate we had the other team forfeited. It seemed weird after such a long year of debating last year.

(Sep. 29, 2011  7:13 AM)Arupaeo Wrote: What do you like most about debate, the practice with your team, the competition, or something else?
Heck, I just like to argue. I have an overwhelming tendency to want to prove things wrong and I'm a real smart alec, my mum reminds me that everyday. The rebuttal is just so fun and I like more civilised discussion than what people talk about in the schoolyard.

I personally like the competition and the intellectual challenge. Plus, it's fun!

Rowdog, what's your resolution for debate this month? Mine is in the OP.
I would love to debate,although I've never really tried. When my history teacher let us have a practice session on World War 2(we were only primary 5,or grade 5),she said we could use our textbooks as reference. What happened after that? People started reading out the textbook. Some don't even know the meaning of 'debate'. I wasn't even selected to be on the debate team just cos my english marks were just only a few marks behind the chosen guys. Seriously? I have a much better command of English with good pronounciation,a deep voice,fast thinking ,good improvisation, and much more. Poop.
And there's a '.'in front of 'more' so I mean 'much more. Sob' not 'much more poop' if you get the wrong idea
(Sep. 29, 2011  10:02 AM)RowDog Wrote: Heck, I just like to argue. I have an overwhelming tendency to want to prove things wrong and I'm a real smart alec, my mum reminds me that everyday. The rebuttal is just so fun and I like more civilised discussion than what people talk about in the schoolyard.

Same here. I love to prove people wrong, especially when I know I can Tongue_out

But, I think I'm on the same boat as Arupaeo. Impromptu seems more fun, and I'm pretty good at improvising. I also don't like preparing, nor am I good at it, that's for sure.
I'm going to regain my passion for debating. I lost it 2 years ago in history class because I did so poor in history back then which hurts my groove. Anyways, are there any tips for a beginner?
Would Mock Trial be considered appropriate for this thread? Because my school team is actually pretty successful.
I know that this year we'll be going to the Empire City Invitational Tournament, I think we manage to go there every year so yeah that is the extent of my knowledge in this genre.. :V (other than my law teacher loves talking about his/our team always smoking the Korean team, haha.) I actually plan on joining up in that team (if I can, that is) next year. Again, if this is completely unrelated just trash this post lol.
Urgh. My school HAS one, and I love to argue, but in Chicago, the format sucks. We have to essentially read our argument off of a pre-written paper with all of the evidence outlined. I'd have rather done the research myself. You cannot deviate from the paper, only restate it differently. They even give you your rebuttals and counter-rebuttals. Ick. I quit after finding this out.
Wow, that sucks all the fun out of debating Uncertain
The damn paper is 1200 pages. That just makes it worse.
(Sep. 30, 2011  11:12 PM)Temporal Wrote: The damn paper is 1200 pages. That just makes it worse.

Man, that sucks. No fun at all.

Anyways, first tournament was today. Went 1-2, and today was hands down the craziest tournament I've ever been to. It started in the afternoon, we only did 3 rounds (which sucks since I only got to debate my better case, which was negative, once.) and the compute system that decided matchups crashed so there was no power pairing (when people of similar points and win streaks are paired with each other) or order in general. Still, our school did pretty well.
(Sep. 30, 2011  12:56 AM)Dan Wrote: Would Mock Trial be considered appropriate for this thread? Because my school team is actually pretty successful.
I know that this year we'll be going to the Empire City Invitational Tournament, I think we manage to go there every year so yeah that is the extent of my knowledge in this genre.. :V (other than my law teacher loves talking about his/our team always smoking the Korean team, haha.) I actually plan on joining up in that team (if I can, that is) next year. Again, if this is completely unrelated just trash this post lol.

Yes, Mock Trial should be okay as well. My school also has a Mock trial team, but honestly, debate4lyfe man. Serious
(Sep. 30, 2011  12:40 AM)Cookies^^ Wrote: I'm going to regain my passion for debating. I lost it 2 years ago in history class because I did so poor in history back then which hurts my groove. Anyways, are there any tips for a beginner?

Get lots of stats and make your rebuttals clear and solid. That's the best advice.
(Oct. 02, 2011  2:31 AM)GaHooleone Wrote: but honestly, debate4lyfe man. Serious
idk, are you representing your country in one of the most prestigious events in that field? Serious
lol, though I realize you are just joking.