Does anyone listen to any Hardcore/Metalcore/Death metal?

But still I think forming a group that is non-conform in whole isn't irony, even if the group's members are conform amongst each other.
Haha.

This has gotten way off topic.

Syn,

Could you enlighten me on how you can tell a straight edge kid apart from a "normal kid". You can easily tell the difference between goths and emos, but can you tell me how you can identify a straight edge kid from someone else?

Besides the giant black X's on the back of their hands

Straight Edge never has/will be a style of dress.

Some goths, emos, and chads call themselves straight edge.
(Oct. 24, 2008  9:52 PM)HEAVYARMS Wrote: Besides the giant black X's on the back of their hands

And the clothing brands and bands you mentioned yourself that are dedicated to straight edge.
(Oct. 24, 2008  10:29 PM)Bey Brad Wrote:
(Oct. 24, 2008  9:52 PM)HEAVYARMS Wrote: Besides the giant black X's on the back of their hands

And the clothing brands and bands you mentioned yourself that are dedicated to straight edge.

Besides that Brad?

I only wear X's at shows.

Lets just say you see me wearing a terror (not a straight edge band) shirt.
Having no prior knowledge of me being straight edge.

How can you tell?
(Oct. 24, 2008  10:30 PM)HEAVYARMS Wrote:

Besides that Brad?

You see a kid in a band t-shirt, pants and a hat.
How do you define whether he is straight edge or not?

the giant black x's on the back of his hands seem like a good place to start

or checking to see if the band is straight-edge

or just asking him

not that this discussion is about picking out straight-edge kids from a crowd, but about the ridiculousness of proclaiming yourself as straight-edge in the first place
(Oct. 24, 2008  10:33 PM)Bey Brad Wrote:
(Oct. 24, 2008  10:30 PM)HEAVYARMS Wrote:

Besides that Brad?

You see a kid in a band t-shirt, pants and a hat.
How do you define whether he is straight edge or not?

the giant black x's on the back of his hands seem like a good place to start

or checking to see if the band is straight-edge

or just asking him

not that this discussion is about picking out straight-edge kids from a crowd, but about the ridiculousness of proclaiming yourself as straight-edge in the first place

This discussion was supposed to be about Hardcore/Metalcore/Death Metal

What gives you the right to tell me everything I believe is ridiculous?

I don't want a fight. Because a fight over the internet is retarded.

Im just saying who cares what someone believes? How about we talk about how ridiculous homosexuality is? How about religion?
(Oct. 24, 2008  10:38 PM)HEAVYARMS Wrote: This discussion was supposed to be about Hardcore/Metalcore/Death Metal

What gives you the right to tell me everything I believe is ridiculous?

I don't want a fight. Im just saying who cares what someone believes? How about we talk about how ridiculous homosexuality is? How about religion?

Hyperbolic comparisons will get you nowhere.

I'm not telling you what you believe is ridiculous. Not doing drugs or drinking is great. However, to define yourself by what you don't do in life ... to define the things you abstain from as your lifestyle ... is a childish and empty way to live. Instead of living life by what you don't do, live it by what you do.
Well of course Im going to disagree with you.

But there's no use trying to change either of our minds.

So, Back to the Topic.

Anybody like the Acacia Strain or Elysia?
(Oct. 24, 2008  3:53 AM)HEAVYARMS Wrote: The only straight edge kids I know who preach,
Don't preach.
They just beat your head in if they find you drinking a beer at an all ages show.

Seemed to have missed this, but if you choose not to drink and do drugs because of morals, you nullify those morals by beating the carp out of some one for something so insignificant.

They do their preaching with their fists, which makes them far more horrible than those who just talk.

That note, spotting a straight edge scenester doesn't seem all that hard from your description.
Hardbody necro. so what's good with the graves of valor love? The architect and the burning have tickled my fancy
I strongly resent the grouping of the latter with the former two genres.

I listen to melodic death metal, particularly viking death metal. Amon Amarth are amazing (live, too).
Meh.
My bands are Napalm Death, Metallica, Extreme Noise Terror, Earth Crisis, Death, Crowbar, Overkill, and All Out War.

(Oct. 24, 2008  4:20 AM)HEAVYARMS Wrote:
(Oct. 24, 2008  4:11 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: Why have a lame moniker for what you do? I don't drink or do drugs, but I don't proclaim myself as "straight edge". I don't proclaim it period.

Well there is being drug free and there is being straight edge

Those who are straight edge put the timeframe of "for life" into their ideals and morals. Elementary schoolers during red ribbon week are drug free, but I'm not drug free, I'm straight edge. I will never lessen this commitment i've made to myself or cheapen it by making it seem like it could just be what i feel right now.

I am straight edge, and until they put be into the ground i will always be straight edge. That's why you can't just call me drug free.

Straight Edge is an entire movement.
There are Bands dedicated to it.
Clothing companies dedicated to it.
You're more passionate about being straight edge than just not smoking or drinking.

Thank you. Straight Edge doesn't have to be preachy or simply drug-free.