Dir en grey

So I'm sure we have listeners here.

Let's get the age old argument out of the way:

New Dir sucks, visual kei is better blah blah blah blahhhh.

Anyway, I'm only making this topic because they released a 15 second clip of their new song "DOZING GREEN" and *SURPRISE* it's NOT in the Marrow of a Bone style (No screaming -- so far)! From the 15 seconds available I really like what I'm hearing (Kyo hits a pretty crazy high note towards the end of the clip) and I can't wait for the whole single to release October 24th (Or earlier due to leaks. lol)

Anywhoo, check out the clip yourself and lemme know what you think. Smile

http://www.direngrey.co.jp/english/e-information.html
VAST improvement to MoaB. Lol, I know it was 15 seconds, but provided that Kyo isn't screaming into the mic the rest of the song and that the lyrics have meanings other than "carp, carp, carp, carp YOOOOOOOOOOU", then they are heading in the right direction as respects their next album.
Sounds good.

FYI, visual kei had nothing to do with their ability. They just seemed to throw their look away at the same time as their musical ability.

EDIT: 02. HYDRA -666-

What!?
sounds good. I have lots of japanese music on my ipod. My fav is Home-made KOZOU. they rock.
Tamer Brad Wrote:Sounds good.

FYI, visual kei had nothing to do with their ability. They just seemed to throw their look away at the same time as their musical ability.

EDIT: 02. HYDRA -666-

What!?

No no, I meant to say that people argue that the music during their visual kei era was better than the music they make now. Sorry, I should have phrased that better.

Oh, and HYDRA -666- is just a remix of the song HYDRA. Wink
Sounds good to me. I really need to listen to more Dir en Grey, I've been neglecting them for a while.
Wow wtf. I just heard the whole song and either Kyo has done some serious vocal training or some serious studio magic has taken place.

Don't believe me? Listen for yourself: (It's rather low quality, but hey, better than nothing!)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=...&plindex=6

The ending is like... Whoa. lol Major props to Dir for dropping the wannabe metal sound and even more props to Kyo for extending his vocal range so much. Wow. I really like this song. Smile
I'm a little bored by this song, to be honest! I really miss songs like INCREASE BLUE and NEW AGE CULTURE. Unhappy

Actually, it's not too bad. I'll judge when I hear a decent version.
It has it's moments, but overall, I'm a little bored by it as well. D:
Tamer Brad Wrote:I'm a little bored by this song, to be honest! I really miss songs like INCREASE BLUE and NEW AGE CULTURE. Unhappy

I miss that style too. I've said it before and I'll say it as many times as I need to -- Dir en grey were at their best during the VULGAR era.

I still don't think they're a horrible band by any means and the fact that this song has very little screamed vocals makes me incredibly happy and pretty optimistic for their (inevitable) new record.

It reminds me a lot of RYOUJOKU NO AME and THE FINAL, only smashed together and with some crazy vocals. I really like it. I don't think it's boring at all!
This really is a step up for dir en grey.
Roan Wrote:
Tamer Brad Wrote:I'm a little bored by this song, to be honest! I really miss songs like INCREASE BLUE and NEW AGE CULTURE. Unhappy

I miss that style too. I've said it before and I'll say it as many times as I need to -- Dir en grey were at their best during the VULGAR era.

I still don't think they're a horrible band by any means and the fact that this song has very little screamed vocals makes me incredibly happy and pretty optimistic for their (inevitable) new record.

It reminds me a lot of RYOUJOKU NO AME and THE FINAL, only smashed together and with some crazy vocals. I really like it. I don't think it's boring at all!

That's exactly what I was thinking. This in itself was a good song, as I liked Ryojoku no Ame. Kyo's voice in the chorus is amazing. However, I think Diru is still going in the faux metal direction as respects a next album. The vocals might be better, but I still see it going that way.
Katashi Wrote:
Roan Wrote:

That's exactly what I was thinking. This in itself was a good song, as I liked Ryojoku no Ame. Kyo's voice in the chorus is amazing. However, I think Diru is still going in the faux metal direction as respects a next album. The vocals might be better, but I still see it going that way.

I'm ok with that, honestly. VULGAR was pretty damn heavy metal. As long as Kyo isn't screaming his guts out the whole album and spitting out retarded lyrics (carp YOU carp YOU carp YOUUU) I don't really care. Judging from this single, that seems to be what they're going for. If you look at the intro movie to their website it describes DOZING GREEN as their reaction to fan feedback, which is quite obviously the fact that most fans DO NOT WANT wannabe-metal Dir en grey. They aren't good at metal. lol
Roan Wrote:
Katashi Wrote:
Roan Wrote:

I'm ok with that, honestly. VULGAR was pretty damn heavy metal. As long as Kyo isn't screaming his guts out the whole album and spitting out retarded lyrics (carp YOU carp YOU carp YOUUU) I don't really care. Judging from this single, that seems to be what they're going for. If you look at the intro movie to their website it describes DOZING GREEN as their reaction to fan feedback, which is quite obviously the fact that most fans DO NOT WANT wannabe-metal Dir en grey. They aren't good at metal. lol

Lol, we make fun of Lie Buried With A Vengance something awful. Vulgar I can handle. They're faux metal, on the other hand, do not want.
Well, I have the single.

I must say, DOZING GREEN is the only song worth listening to more than once.

I was so pumped for HYDRA -666-, as I thought it was going to be a remix of the song HYDRA from the MACABRE album, but alas... I have been foiled. It's such a shame that Kyo destroyed this song with his terrible screaming. The instrumentation is actually really cool and I like how it bounces back and forth between calm and thrash metal, but again, Kyo's voice (At least when he's doing anything besides clean singing) destroys any chance the song had at being good. This seems to be the problem for me with Dir en grey lately; it's not that their music is bad. No, it's quite the opposite. I think in terms of the actual music they've vastly broadened their skill. The guitars are cranking out some very technical riffs (Listen to Agitated Screams of Maggots and tell me that you could learn that in a day) and of course Shinya is at the top of his game with his always stellar drumming. But Kyo... Has just gone totally down hill. I thought DOZING GREEN would be a return to form for him, and for the first track of the single I was totally right. After that? I couldn't have been more wrong.

That said, I really like DOZING GREEN (The actual song), and that's probably a good thing because if it weren't for that I'm almost positive I'd stop following them as a fan. Unhappy
Yikes. Too bad about that. Unhappy
HYDRA-666- is pretty cool for like 30 seconds....lol
Roan Wrote:Well, I have the single.

I must say, DOZING GREEN is the only song worth listening to more than once.

I was so pumped for HYDRA -666-, as I thought it was going to be a remix of the song HYDRA from the MACABRE album, but alas... I have been foiled. It's such a shame that Kyo destroyed this song with his terrible screaming. The instrumentation is actually really cool and I like how it bounces back and forth between calm and thrash metal, but again, Kyo's voice (At least when he's doing anything besides clean singing) destroys any chance the song had at being good. This seems to be the problem for me with Dir en grey lately; it's not that their music is bad. No, it's quite the opposite. I think in terms of the actual music they've vastly broadened their skill. The guitars are cranking out some very technical riffs (Listen to Agitated Screams of Maggots and tell me that you could learn that in a day) and of course Shinya is at the top of his game with his always stellar drumming. But Kyo... Has just gone totally down hill. I thought DOZING GREEN would be a return to form for him, and for the first track of the single I was totally right. After that? I couldn't have been more wrong.

That said, I really like DOZING GREEN (The actual song), and that's probably a good thing because if it weren't for that I'm almost positive I'd stop following them as a fan. Unhappy

Hmmmm.....anyone seeing Kyo getting the boot? I heard Shinya has a nice voice xD (Seriously, though)
Kaoru's the band leader, not Kyo, so it's completely possible.

Probable? Hell no.
Tamer Brad Wrote:Kaoru's the band leader, not Kyo, so it's completely possible.

Probable? Hell no.

Oh, of course not. Whether Kaoru is considered leader or not, Kyo gets most of the spotlight. Unless the band has a massive fallout, which would more than likely lead to the entire group disbanding, I don't see Kyo going anywhere.
i like "i'll"

that's really about it for diru
that song is stupid
Most dir en grey fans have no idea that there are other people besides Kyo in the band.
SexyMichael Wrote:Most dir en grey fans have no idea that there are other people besides Kyo in the band.

Which proves my point. The band would lose some of their fanbase and all of their 16-year-old American fangirls.