Dir en grey

Katashi Wrote:I've been sifting through Youtube, and I ask myself: Why are most Dir en Grey (and other J-Rock band) covers featured from Latin America? I always figured if anything you'd see a lot of German cover bands. Go figure.

Well, seeing as I don't own a single one of the albums that those singles are on, I might buy this once it hits stateside (Or just download it liek I have the past three J-Rock albums I've litened to).

News flash: These discs are japan only.
My music players arn't higher quality enough for me to hear the difference between remastered and unremastered most of the time.

Anyway, I've been wanting to post this here

[Image: PC130393-1.jpg]

SHINYA drumsticks <3
Roan Wrote:
Katashi Wrote:I've been sifting through Youtube, and I ask myself: Why are most Dir en Grey (and other J-Rock band) covers featured from Latin America? I always figured if anything you'd see a lot of German cover bands. Go figure.

Well, seeing as I don't own a single one of the albums that those singles are on, I might buy this once it hits stateside (Or just download it like I have the past three J-Rock albums I've litened to).

News flash: These discs are japan only.

Hmmm....it's pirate time, then.

Nic, I don't care if they chip like hell, I still want those sticks.
Katashi Wrote:Nic, I don't care if they chip like hell, I still want those sticks.

Sorry, they're MINEEEEEEEEEEEE <3
So the band has entered the studio to start recording their new album. A new live DVD has also been scheduled for release on February 10th, titled "In Weal or Woe".

No title or release date for the new album has been given. It'll be interesting to see what direction they take after Marrow. I don't see them getting any heavier and if their latest single "Dozing Green" is any indication, I see them returning to their experimental/progressive sound a la Kisou/Macabre.

Whatever happens, I'm carp pumped. <3
Roan Wrote:So the band has entered the studio to start recording their new album. A new live DVD has also been scheduled for release on February 10th, titled "In Weal or Woe".

No title or release date for the new album has been given. It'll be interesting to see what direction they take after Marrow. I don't see them getting any heavier and if their latest single "Dozing Green" is any indication, I see them returning to their experimental/progressive sound a la Kisou/Macabre.

Whatever happens, I'm carp pumped. <3

Awesome, looking forward to it. I would really love more stuff along the lines of Dozing Green.
GO GO GADGET NECROMANCY!

I have a couple of news snippets regarding the new album so I thought I'd post them here. Smile

------------

In the studio with... DIR EN GREY

Kings of J-Rock take the impulsive approach for new album

Primed to launch a fresh assault on the rest of the world, Japanese metallicwhackjobs Dir En Grey are in the midst of recording their seventh full-length album. The follow-up to 2007’s widely acclaimed The Marrow of a Bone, the band’s new opus is being recorded in Japan and produced by Yoshiki Hayashi, a founder member of X-Japan, one of the country’s biggest rock bands. Hammer spoke to Dir En Grey guitarist Kaoru about whether the new album was going to be the one to break the band both in the UK and the United States.

“Absolutely!” says Kaoru. “But we are trying to create Japanese sounds that are not British or American. We thought about getting an international engineer or producer, but we decided not to. We thought that recording in Japan might be more suitable for our work this time. We’ve never worked with Yoshiki before, but he’s like one of our forefathers. We call him ‘Abarenbo Shogun’ which means he’s a rowdy general.”

*As with their previous albums, the as-yet-untitled new one is likely to feature a dizzying array of disparate styles alongside Dir En Grey’s trademark metal chops. As Kaoru explains, the band favour spontaneity over planning.

“I guess we well recognize the right direction for the songs as we progress,” he states. “Whatever happens, the album will be stuffed with guilt and reincarnation, as well as the past, present and future of Dir En Grey.”

*Already huge in Japan, Dir En Grey look certain to build on their international reputation during 2008, as anyone who witnessed the scenes of hysteria when the band hit London last year will testify. As Kaoru explains, UK fans should prepare themselves for their imminent return.

“We will spend half of this year making an album and the rest touring,” he says. “There’s no specific plan right now, but we will be in the UK in the near future. Our shows in London last year were really amazing."

THE NEW DIR EN GREY ALBUM WILL BE RELEASED LATER THIS YEAR VIA GAN-SHIN RECORDS.

------------------

BLABBERMOUTH.NET SAID

"Japanese rockers DIR EN GREY have begun work on their next album at the studio in the Sony Tokyo building. Pre-production started at the beginning of March, with the actual recording of the first few tracks currently in progress. The band then plans to return to pre-production to work on the remainder of the songs.

"The album will be stuffed with themes of 'guilt and reincarnation' as well as 'the past, present and future of DIR EN GREY,'" guitarist Kaoru explains in a press release. "This will be heavier and darker than previous albums, with a sort of oriental and religious mood and connotations. We're experimenting with different sounds — we'd like to introduce a multitude of different instruments on this album."

Produced by the band itself, the CD is planned for release later in 2008, but no date has yet been set."

-----------

First I'd like to point out that there are a few contradictions in these news stories.

Kaoru says that they have never worked with Yoshiki before. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Yoshiki producer on "Gauze"?

Also, in the second story it says that the band will be producing the album themselves, when it clearly says in the first that Yoshiki will be producing it. Perhaps they are doing a collaboration with Yoshiki on the production? Or maybe Yoshiki isn't involved after all?

But anyway, "A multitude of different instruments" eh? Religious and oriental mood and connotations you say? Sounds pretty promising to me. It seems like they are really going to try and push forward with this release. I can't wait to hear it. I'm glad its been confirmed for a 2008 release, there were rumors swirling around that the album might get pushed to 2009.

So... Who else is PUMPED?!
"This will be heavier and darker"

Is that possible, really?
SexyMichael Wrote:"This will be heavier and darker"

hahahaha

When he said that I somehow got the sense that he doesn't mean heavier as in like a crushing metal sound, but heavier maybe in their electronic presentation?

Take for instance Ryoujoku no Ame, the backing electronics in that song are what give it that heavy feel. I mean sure there are the harder metal bits with Kyo screaming that help as well, but really I think he means heavy in a more atmospheric sense rather than just metal riffing and intense drumming.
Roan Wrote:
SexyMichael Wrote:"This will be heavier and darker"

hahahaha

When he said that I somehow got the sense that he doesn't mean heavier as in like a crushing metal sound, but heavier maybe in their electronic presentation?

Take for instance Ryoujoku no Ame, the backing electronics in that song are what give it that heavy feel. I mean sure there are the harder metal bits with Kyo screaming that help as well, but really I think he means heavy in a more atmospheric sense rather than just metal riffing and intense drumming.

I don't think it's so much of electronic presentation, just the atmosphere. Some songs just *sound* heavy.

Looking forward to a new release, hope I won't be disappointed.
yessssssssss
......Single? I guess it's better than nothing, but.
Composer of Requiems Wrote:......Single? I guess it's better than nothing, but.

I'm expecting an album announcement soon after the release of the single. They've already confirmed that a new album would be coming this year and I'm willing to bet that "Glass Skin" will be the promotional single from the album.
My memory is a little fuzzy right now, but wasn't Dozing Green also expected to be part of an album?
Composer of Requiems Wrote:My memory is a little fuzzy right now, but wasn't Dozing Green also expected to be part of an album?

I'm willing to bet Dozing Green will be on the album that releases this year.

If you'll recall, they did this same thing with Marrow of a Bone.

They released Clever Sleazoid, Ryoujoku no Ame and Agitated Screams of Maggots MONTHS before the album was even announced, and then when it came along, all three songs were on the disc.

I wouldn't be surprised to see something like this happen again. lol
Here's the cover for the new single:

[Image: gs.jpg?w=300&h=300]

Source: http://edohsama.blogspot.com/2008/07/dir...html#links

Looks pretty interesting. I can't imagine what direction they're going to take with this new song.
Tracklists have been released (leaked? I'm not sure)

Limited Tracklist
1. GLASS SKIN
2. undecided
3. AGITATED SCREAMS OF MAGGOTS -UNPLUGGED-
4. [LIVE] RYOUJOKU NO AME (YOKOHAMA BLITZ on May 23, 2008)

Regular Tracklist
1. GLASS SKIN
2. undecided
3. AGITATED SCREAMS OF MAGGOTS -UNPLUGGED-
[Image: glass_skin_kaoru.jpg]

MICHAEL IS THAT YOU?!

OR IS THAT JUST KAORU'S RIDICULOUS NEW LOOK?!
Roan Wrote:[Image: glass_skin_kaoru.jpg]

MICHAEL IS THAT YOU?!

O________________________________________________________O
Roan Wrote:[Image: glass_skin_kaoru.jpg]

MICHAEL IS THAT YOU?!

HOLY carp LOL

My hair is almost exactly like that on my school id too.

I actually had
[Image: th_kaoruav.jpg]
As my msn pic last year and like 10 people thought is was a picture of me.
Here's everyone else with their new looks:

Shinya (Easily the best here):

[Image: glass_skin_shinya.jpg]

Die:

[Image: glass_skin_die.jpg]

Toshiya: (Looks more and more like Tomonobu Itagaki with each passing day)

[Image: glass_skin_toshiya.jpg]

Kyo:

[Image: kyo_glass_skin1.jpg]

Group Picture:

[Image: glass_skinG.jpg]
SexyMichael Wrote:Not feeling Die's look at all.

Agreed.

I think the rest of them look fine, but Die looks strung out or something.
WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO MY SHINYA ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG